• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic season 5 |OT| 100+ episodes and better than ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
941901.png
Halfway through the season, half silhouettes.

The long national nightmare finally comes to an end! After literally nearly a year, season 5 has arrived!

This season is a particularly special one, as we're coming up on the 100th episode! And not just that! With this season, Friendship is Magic will become Hasbro's longest running TV series, beating the original Transformers' 98 episodes. And it doesn't end there! Season 6 has already been confirmed, and in 2017, we're getting a wide release theatrical film! And with multiple ongoing comics and tie-in books to boot, it's a good time to be a pony fan... besides the long gaps between seasons, that is.

New episodes air at 11:30 AM ET on Saturdays, on Discovery Family (formerly The Hub).

GETTING STARTED
While more changes between seasons than you'd expect from an episodic show aimed at little girls, that's still what it is, so if you don't want to watch all 100+ episodes to catch up, I recommend just starting from this season. Really, it might be easier to just jump in from "The Cutie Map" rather than watch the first episodes then skip ahead to here, and it's a pretty good story at that. Recommended episode guides for the entire series are difficult, since everyone has different favorite characters, but for me, almost any Twilight, Rarity, or Fluttershy focus episode will be good.

EDIT: We now have a NeoGAF recommended episode guide!

PREVIOUSLY ON MY LITTLE PONY
622807__safe_twilight+sparkle_animated_screencap_princess+twilight_hub+logo_hubble_hub_spoiler-colon-s04e26_twilight%27s+kingdom.gif

AND NOW
One day, our heroes activate a magical map in the new castle, and marked on it is an unusual town. There, they find that everyone has the exact same cutie mark: an equal sign. While they all seem perfectly content, the girls can't shake the feeling that there is something sinister going on.

Will they be able to stand up to the forces of Cutie Marxism?
Yes
Will the inevitable power up to resolve the premiere problem look as bad as it does in the toys?
Turns out it didn't appear *shrug*
Will the Cutie Mark Crusaders still fail to get their cutie marks when the marketing gimmick of the season is called Cutie Mark Magic?
Surprisingly, no

Video recap
Series song medley

Rules.png

This thread is for the discussion of all official media content, along with news and speculation.
* Episode titles and official synopses can be freely discussed, along with things tweeted by show crew and such.
* If an episode is leaked or made available early (some episodes have been put on iTunes early), discussion of it should be behind spoiler bars until after it normally airs, and you should state that you are discussing that episode early instead of just having a blacked out post.
* As a change from the first half of the season, Equestria Girls can be discussed in this thread, since it will be airing among the season 5 episodes anyway. With that exception in place, it only seems fair for official comic discussion to be in this thread too, along with other official media.

For general fandom discussion, including fan-made episodes, you can go to the community thread.

CharacterGuide.png

IAiuZnW.png
sylEQQW.png
sEpCJlX.png
36NORGz.png
ujumvgN.png
vhXpyXa.png

Princess Twilight Sparkle
Voiced by Tara Strong, singing voice by Rebecca Shoichet
Twilight Sparkle was a gifted unicorn who caught the attention of Princess Celestia, thus becoming her personal student. Twilight constantly works to improve herself through study and being a better friend, but she can be patronizing and has a maddening fear of disappointing others. Over time, her magic developed such that she turned into an alicorn. Now acting as the Princess of Friendship, she works with her friends to spread its magic across the land.

Applejack
Voiced by Ashleigh Ball
Applejack is the strong, hard-working, and straight-forward earth pony who runs Sweet Apple Acres orchard, and she values her family above almost everything. She can be very stubborn and competitive, but she is well known for her reliability.

Rainbow Dash
Voiced by Ashleigh Ball (yes, same as above)
Rainbow Dash is a high-flying daredevil and one of the fastest pegasi around. She often acts and speaks before she thinks and hates to be inactive when she's not sleeping, but over time, her leadership skills have developed and she has learned when to be gentle and supporting.

Rarity
Voiced by Tabitha St. Germain, singing voice by Kazumi Evans
Rarity at first appears to be the image of a fashion-obsessed popular girl, but she is in fact a relentlessly creative designer and a savvy businessmare who runs a boutique that is known all across Equestria. Though she is fussy, she is generous to a fault, and she can be surprisingly effective in a brawl.

Fluttershy
Voiced by Andrea Libman
In direct contrast to Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy would love nothing more than to stay on the ground and avoid attention, though she has been learning to open up more. She is caring and motherly, but when she finds her courage, she can be surprisingly intimidating. She also wrestles bears.

Pinkie Pie
Voiced by Andrea Libman (really, same as Fluttershy), singing voice by Shannon Chan-Kent
Even though she grew up on a rock farm with a largely gray family, Pinkie Pie is the brightest and craziest of them all. Able to squash and stretch and seemingly bend reality at will, she often startles or annoys the others, but she can always bring a smile to their faces--a skill that she carries great pride in.

EpisodeGuide.png

Opening
In my heart, this is the opening
New episodes air at 11:30 AM ET on Saturdays on Discovery Family (formerly The Hub), and are usually put up on iTunes the next day. Seasons 1-4 and the first half of 5 can be found on iTunes and US Netflix. Episode descriptions for new episodes are taken from Zap2It.

Episodes 1-2: The Cutie Map (formerly known as Cutie Markless) - April 4
Episode 3: Castle Sweet Castle - April 11
Episode 4: Bloom and Gloom - April 18
Episode 5: Tanks for the Memories - April 25
Episode 6: Appleoosa’s Most Wanted - May 2
Episode 7: Make New Friends But Keep Discord - May 16
Episode 8: The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone - May 23
Episode 9: EPISODE 100!: Slice of Life - June 13
Episode 10: Princess Spike - June 20
Episode 11: Party Pooped - June 27
Episode 12: Amending Fences - July 4
Episode 13: Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep? - July 11
Episode 14: Canterlot Boutique - September 12
Episode 15: Rarity Investigates - September 19
Episode 16: Made in Manehattan - September 26
MOVIE Equestria Girls: Friendship Games - September 26
Episode 17: Brotherhooves Social - October 3
Episode 18: Crusaders of the Lost Mark - October 10
Episode 20: The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows - October 17
Episode 19: Hearthbreakers - October 24
Episode 21: Scare Master - October 31
Episode 22: What About Discord? - November 7
Episode 23: The Hooffields and McColts - November 14
Episode 24: The Mane Attraction - November 21
Episodes 25-26: The Cutie Re-Mark - November 28 - Starlight Glimmer, hoping to obtain revenge against the Mane 6, acquires a spell that could change the past, present and future of Equestria forever.

Links.png

The Season 1 Thread
The Season 2 Thread
The Season 3 Thread
The Season 4 Thread

The Community Thread
The Movie Announcement Thread

Next: The Season 6 Thread

Fan community links
Equestria Daily - The most active fan blog dedicated to MLP:FiM. It can be a bit hasty in posting rumors, but they are the best place to find news and fanworks at the same time. Like any big blog, avoid the comments.
Derpibooru - The biggest collection of MLP:FiM related images online. They block NSFW images, but sometimes things slip through, so it is unlinked. Avoid the comments.
The Round Stable - The best dedicated forum for MLP:FiM discussion, founded by those who left Something Awful when MLP discussion became a bannable offense there. There is a main page, but it's basically dead now. It also runs Bronibooru, a site similar to Derpibooru, but dedicated to only uploading family-friendly images.
MLP:FiM Wikia - The better source for pure information on the show and its characters.

thanks.png

Thanks to DrForrester for letting me steal from his previous OT and for providing some new assets!

Previous titles: Challenge of the Superfriends; Season 6 com--NOPE, HIATUS
Previous header image

Pretty happy to have this back. MLP is such a nice break from life, even if it only lasts half an hour.

Comics lately have been fairly solid too.

Alicorn Twilight is awesome. After all the complaining and whining I think they have been doing a splendid job with her. Plus she has managed to be even more adorable than before!

OWSo9ZR.gif

Orcastar

I feel like the show has completely failed to capitalize on all the potential it had back in seasons 1 and 2, and I don't like how they seem to have essentially turned the mane 6 into a superhero group, but I guess I'll still watch it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Alicorn Twilight is awesome. After all the complaining and whining I think they have been doing a splendid job with her. Plus she has managed to be even more adorable than before!

OWSo9ZR.gif

I don't know. Much like with Cadance, I don't think they've done a good job justifying in the show why she has wings. Obviously to sell toys, but they've tried to skirt around it rather than own it.

And the wings are ugly. Way too big.

HUELEN10

Not sure if serious, but:

4asb.gif

Completely serious, but now that it doesn't seem to be thread related, I'll find out later.

As for me, I am missing this premiere, and I don't know when I will get to watch it. if possible, I would like to watch with my Roomie. This season is probably gonna be one of the more unique ones, specially with brining back that one classic whom I hope gets a new song that is this catchy.

As for the OT, not bad, but don't be afraid to put in a little EG love where it fits.

PaulloDEC

Completely serious, but now that it doesn't seem to be thread related, I'll find out later.

...I feel like we're having a communication issue here. The gif of Antonio Banderas I posted is what the Twilight gif is based on. The original Antonio version is pretty popular on GAF, and spawned dozens of variants back around the launch of the PS4.

Was season 4 better than season 3?

It can be difficult to gauge fan opinion on stuff like that, but from what I've read I'd say yes. Personally, I feel like they've both got lots to recommend.

Cheerilee

Twilight's wings are still a dumb design choice.

But still. Get hype.

nWqqPwB.png

eg004e6.png

I feel like the show has completely failed to capitalize on all the potential it had back in seasons 1 and 2, and I don't like how they seem to have essentially turned the mane 6 into a superhero group, but I guess I'll still watch it.

Lauren Faust is speculated to have quit in season 2 because Hasbro put wings on Cadence (a character based on Lauren's childhood), against Lauren's direct objections. Because toys.

Season 3 was Meghan McCarthy's attempt to finish off the show as Lauren would have wanted, before it got canned.

Seasons 4+ and Equestria Girls are the Meghan McCarthy show.

PaulloDEC

All this talk of Megan, but where does Jayson Thiessen fit into it all?

A quick google search brings up "Supervising Director" and "Co-Executive Producer" a bunch, the former from the start of FiM and the latter only the last couple of years.

No idea what those roles actually entail on the show.

draetenth

Finally, the wait is over.

I don't know. Much like with Cadance, I don't think they've done a good job justifying in the show why she has wings. Obviously to sell toys, but they've tried to skirt around it rather than own it.

And the wings are ugly. Way too big.

Yeah, I didn't necessarily have problems with the wings and I know that everything is done to promote the toys, but it does feel like they could have done something a bit more to justify them.

Was season 4 better than season 3?

Well, this is mostly personal opinions, but I would say yes. Season 3 had 13 episodes and felt rushed. Season 4 was back to the full season and did a much better job with pacing (there were still issues though).

For me: S1 >= S2 >= S4 > S3

Overall, I think I still liked S1 the best, but S2 and even S4 had episodes that I liked better than anything in S1. I just didn't really care for S3. It felt like they didn't properly handle the fact that it was possibly the last season. I expected the end result (Twilight ascends and gets wings), but I just didn't like how they got there. S4 renewed my enjoyment of the show.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
My only real problems with S4 were the terrible opening and finale. Meghan's continuing treatment of everyone but Twilight as obstacles in the way of her Twilight story. Middle episodes were OK, though I do think they fumbled the ball on a few of those key episodes.

Seasons 4+ and Equestria Girls are the Meghan McCarthy show.

Thankfully M. A. Larson is sharing the editor duties with Meghan this season, so hopefully we see some improvements.

PaulloDEC

Thankfully M. A. Larson is sharing the editor duties with Meghan this season, so hopefully we see some improvements.

That just got me thinking, this'll be the first season since 2 that has Mitch Larson, Amy Keating-Rogers and Cindy Morrow, right? Three of the best writers from the first two seasons all on the show again!

I stopped following the show with Season 4...maybe I'll give Season 5 a watch...

Can't hurt!

Cheerilee

All this talk of Megan, but where does Jayson Thiessen fit into it all?

A quick google search brings up "Supervising Director" and "Co-Executive Producer" a bunch, the former from the start of FiM and the latter only the last couple of years.

No idea what those roles actually entail on the show.

Jayson Thiessen is the head of the animation studio in Vancouver. (Edit: and the music and voice acting)

When the show started, Lauren was the "showrunner" and head writer. (BTW, the writers are in LA).

After Lauren quit, Jayson was declared the "showrunner" (because the writing on S2 was finished by Lauren/Hasbro, and all that was left was the animation).

Meghan was promoted from writer to head writer for season 3, and was given the title of co-showrunner along with Jayson. Since then, Jayson has faded into the background a little, and Meghan is more obviously the new Lauren. Jayson's still doing what he always did, and Meghan's now doing what Lauren did.

All right! I know I haven't been posting in the community thread much, and I've definitely don't scour the net for fanart and music like I used to, but I'm so ready for this!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Best season opener since Return of Harmony. Was good to see six friends on an adventure again.

Larson hasn't lost a step.

I liked it. Some good moments from everyone and it was a nice change of pace to start with something "smaller" as the opening episodes.

Wondering now if those Meadowbrook(?) artifacts will end up being seen later or are just a throwaway detail.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Episode 5: Tanks for the Memories - April 25
When Rainbow Dash realizes Tank must hibernate for winter, she decides the best solution is to keep winter from coming.

Now that the premiere is over, I just want to say that this may be the single most amazing episode description ever.

This premiere was pretty good, it had some good humorous moments, a creepy villain and I loved that it was a small scale problem for it as well. Overall, a good opener for this season and I can't wait for the rest of the episodes.
Also, Party Favor is best balloon making pony, sorry Pinkie.

holy crap this is almost more anvilicious than Harrison Bergeron in tearing progressives a new one. The evil cutie mark is practically identical to the HRC's ferchrissakes.

brian577

Banned
This was on par with Return of Harmony for me. Most surprising it wasn't a Twilight centric episode like other two parters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom