• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic season 6 |OT| Six seasons and a movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And fifth teaser clip released.

Looks like Filthy Rich will be a secondary antagonist for this one.

I'm a bit disappointed that bad guy Filthy Rich has made its way to the show. Or AU movie, rather.

Makes you wonder who's really behind the prank the episode will be about...

The writer of the episode is a new one to this show, F.M. De Marco, who previously wrote for the How to Train Your Dragon TV/Netflix series and Littlest Pet Shop. I can't find their full name (or how they identify) anywhere, for the record.

I think they primarily wanted to get in that zombies parody.

Were a whole bunch of episodes written before they knew Starlight Glimmer would be joining up, or something? I swear it's been quite a while since she was just... there with the rest of them. I probably missed a cameo in this episode, but...

UberTag

Wow, that was pretty bad. It was basically Mare to Well 2.
At least we got an amusing Celestia gag out of it. Made me laugh.

I've been pretty underwhelmed by this season outside of the two Nick Confalone episodes (The Saddle Row Review and No Second Prances).
Especially given the atypical absence of overarching plot focus.

I thought the pranks at the start were fun, and I liked that they pointed out how low-effort Rainbow's first pranks were. While the way they included TV-Y zombies was kind of clever, all the zombie scenes were very generic. Just on that level, the episode is overall pretty weak.

This episode really feels like an example episode from the season 1 series bible, before "Griffon the Brush Off" was written. I remember early comments about that episode, where people were pleasantly surprised that the episode wasn't going to be about how bad pranks are, so it's a shame they basically went with what that episode subverted.

I was hoping for a line like, "I guess the effort of joining the Wonderbolts distracted her from pranking, and now that she's in, she's making up for lost time," but no, she's just randomly pranking again. To be fair concerning complaints about Rainbow pranking Fluttershy when she held back in "Griffon the Brush Off", Rainbow was going to go through with it in that episode until Pinkie told her not to.

Is this the first episode where the synopsis completely spoiled what the twist was supposed to be? Even the earliest one mentioned that everyone was going to prank Rainbow back. Because the prank was presented that way, a lot of people, including myself, assumed that the story would involve the others learning a lesson instead of just Rainbow, like people suggested as a fix for "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well". Instead, it's basically the same plot structure as that episode.

Though to be fair, this episode has the following over "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well":
* Rainbow actually was bothering everyone, instead of helping people and not reacting the "proper" way.
* The zombie prank at least made sense as a way to teach Rainbow a lesson, unlike pretending to be a better superhero somehow getting Rainbow to stop being boastful without introducing other problems.
* The others did actually try to talk down Rainbow multiple times before going with teaching her a lesson.
* The level of technology wasn't changed and we didn't have ramps off cliffs.

Also, I know some people were wondering if Cranky was back by himself, after he's appeared this season so many times sulking and by himself. This episode confirms he's still with Matilda.

draetenth

I found this to be an okay episode.

TBH, I'm not really a fan of pranks myself, but I thought RD's pranks were really stupid (and low-effort like mentioned). IMO, PP and RD have to have a really simple sense of humor to even think something like a whoopie cushion was as funny as they thought it was.

I did think Pumpkin and Pound cake were cute though. I wonder how they were able to get those two to play along. They are supposed to be foals/babies aren't they?

Though to be fair, this episode has the following over "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well":
* Rainbow actually was bothering everyone, instead of helping people and not reacting the "proper" way.
* The zombie prank at least made sense as a way to teach Rainbow a lesson, unlike pretending to be a better superhero somehow getting Rainbow to stop being boastful without introducing other problems.
* The others did actually try to talk down Rainbow multiple times before going with teaching her a lesson.
* The level of technology wasn't changed and we didn't have ramps off cliffs.

Also, I know some people were wondering if Cranky was back by himself, after he's appeared this season so many times sulking and by himself. This episode confirms he's still with Matilda.

^ Yeah, this is pretty much why I found the episode to be ok unlike The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well (which I still pretty much think was one of the (if not the) worst episode of the series). It at least came off as somewhat believable.

PaulloDEC

Didn't get a lot out of this one, and they kinda had me on poor footing from the moment they decided to have Rainbow scaring the living shit out of Fluttershy in the pre-titles. Almost every episode in this show that I've not liked breaks the same critical rule; do not build your episode on a shaky premise.

So yeah, the Mare-do-well comparisons are fair I think, even if this episode is nowhere near as bad.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Didn't get a lot out of this one, and they kinda had me on poor footing from the moment they decided to have Rainbow scaring the living shit out of Fluttershy in the pre-titles. Almost every episode in this show that I've not liked breaks the same critical rule; do not build your episode on a shaky premise.

So yeah, the Mare-do-well comparisons are fair I think, even if this episode is nowhere near as bad.

Yeah, I see people comparing it to Griffon the Brush off, but that was a simple prank with a toy turtle. Dash used knowledge about Fluttershy's biggest fear to terrorize her. She's dense and tactless, but not THAT dense and tactless. She's not going to be outright cruel.

^ Yeah, this is pretty much why I found the episode to be ok unlike The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well (which I still pretty much think was one of the (if not the) worst episode of the series). It at least came off as somewhat believable.

I feel like if this episode was in season 2 in place of "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well" (adjusting for non-princess Twilight, moving to after "Baby Cakes" if it wasn't already), then it would be a lot better received. We'd even get the "holy crap, this show is doing a tribute to zombie movies!" reaction that isn't really present now. But this would be the season 2 fandom, so we'd have much louder complaints about Dash pranking Fluttershy and complaints that they're pandering by doing a zombie story, which is clearly a reference to Story of the Blanks, obviously.

Also, I've noticed that the rainbow coating around the mouth is actually really creepy in a small image when it's hard to see details.
thumb.png

EDIT: Also, I'm noticing other sites generally have higher opinions about this episode, while still acknowledging Rainbow being out of character.

You know, I think I'm warming up to "28 Pranks Later".

PREVIOUS EPISODE
Lots of art for "The Cart Before the Ponies".

Weird title
We got Momentum
Go cart go
You Had Me at Physics
erwafrewvresfverwa_by_dimfann-dadg2kk.png
small.jpeg
small.png
YouHadMeatPhysicsbyNovaintellus1471044560438.png

And comics. Pinkie Pie Says Goodnight has an interview with Diamond Tiara and her butler. Wacky Races features the older sisters realizing they made a huge mistake.

NOTES
ED's episode follow-up noted that the reason why the synopsis outright mentioned that the zombie stuff was a prank, might be because of it being TV-Y, and they didn't want children to be too scared.

Also, while the entire town got in on the part of the prank involving not going out, only a relatively small number actually pretended to be zombies. I suppose the former was easy enough to comply with, while only a few were interested enough to do the latter.

SCREENCAPS
Peeved Fluttershy. Pinkie face. Cranky getting way into being a zombie. Smiling zombies are creepier than normal zombies.
small.jpeg
small.png
small.jpeg
28_pranks_21.png

Rainbow's initial prank silhouette, then in light. Rainbow's Cheerilee drawing. Hot new ship. Death of Celestia.
28_pranks_3.png
28_pranks_4.png
small.png
small.png
small.jpeg

Pony in shadows behind Dash. RAINBOW KIIIIIIIIICK! And a collection of zombie shots (remember to edit the s800 part of the URL to s2000 or larger to get a larger version).
28_pranks_17.png
small.jpeg

zombie_ponies.jpg

GIFS
I think I'll just link all of these from now on.

Fluttershy fluttering scared
Fluttershy holding onto a branch
Peeved Fluttershy
Pinkie shaking hooves
Pinkie screaming
Infinite Spike loop
Cheerilee chalkboard chase
Cookie passing
Rarity zombie attack

FANWORKS
Rainbow Medicine
Cooooookies
A Light of Hope
Want some cookies?
Cookie Zombie Pinkie
RainbowMedicinebyAssasinMonkey1471211152832.png
CooooookiesbyWolfyOmega1471211152866.png
ALightOfHopebyTheRandomJoyrider1471211153154.png
Wantsomecookiesbyluminaura1471211155881.png
CookieZombiePinkiebyInsaneRoboCat1471211154194.jpg

Meanwhile (go to link for larger)
You've Got Mail
small.png
small.png

Comic: Prank Over

EDIT: Forgot these from the day the episode aired.
Royally Screwed
Zom-ponies
EpisodeSpeedpaintRoyallyScrewedbySilFoe1471121829082.jpg
Zomponies169bymysticalpha1471121829705.jpg

BDGAME

Amazing post, like always, SigmasonicX.

I come to this thread more to see your post more than anything else and missed your post last week.

I more than happy to see you back.

Amazing post, like always, SigmasonicX.

I come to this thread more to see your post more than anything else and missed your post last week.

I more than happy to see you back.

Huh? But I wasn't gone...

Writers for "The Times They Are a Changeling" are Chris Wyatt and Kevin Burke. I was worried at first because they write heavily for Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble, but they also wrote for Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Still, what's with the lack of woman writers this season?

Friends Forever #31 - Rainbow Dash and Little Strongheart
The myth segment was great, especially with its art, but the main story was really rushed, with Rainbow and Strongheart not even starting their journey until more than halfway through. And then, it seemed to be just checking off things it had to do. Most egregious was the part where they split up, then they're back together the next panel, with a box saying its hours later.

The jokes didn't land well. In particular, the jokes involving Rainbow announcing something, but already leaving the person she was talking to, were more confusing than anything. I didn't even get what was going on with Fluttershy saying, "This looks like a job for who?" until the later gag where that buffalo outright says, "I assume they said, 'Rainbow Dash and Little Strongheart', but they already left, so who knows?"

While I liked that Rainbow brought up that she can just talk to Celestia about the cold snap the buffalo were experiencing, I would have preferred that (1) she brought it up earlier, instead of after they completed their task, and (2) that they had a better excuse as to why they didn't have her do that than "tradition is fun".

From the synopsis, I was expecting more of a spiritual journey than the very physical one they had. Having the problem be spiritual in nature would have solved the Celestia problem and would have given more credence to the "tradition can be good" lesson.

Overall, this wasn't very good, but on the other hand, the myth segment is worth checking out on its own. (art from official preview)
medium.jpeg

UberTag

Good for a Spike episode... but man, did that resolution come from out of nowhere or what?
Was too tidy of a finish for Spike to sweep away years of Crystal Empire racism with a 2-minute musical number.
They went too far with it. Should have simply let Thorax make friends with Starlight as a friendship lesson for her and start from there.

DemWalls

Yeah, you could sense from early on that this episode would end up feeling rushed.

I know this is not the kind of show to expect this kind of thing from, but a part of me wanted the group (minus Twilight and Starlight) to abruptly interrupt Spike's song and going like "Yeah, we're not buying that". And do something else from there.

I really liked the episode.

I may be slightly biased.

Unfortunately the episode does get some holes the more you look at it. Why has noone invented a Changeling disguise removal spell if AU Zecora had one? Why hasn't Chrysalis invaded the Crystal Empire yet considering it actually draws changelings in? Why is Thorax so adorably dorky?

draetenth

Was too tidy of a finish for Spike to sweep away years of Crystal Empire racism with a 2-minute musical number.

What Crystal Empire racism? Most of the feeling against Thorax were coming from Cadence and Shining Armor because of their experiences with the wedding (and I imagine the rest of the empire just picked up on it).

The theme of the show is is "Friendship is Magic" and Twilight is the princess of friendship so it shouldn't be that unexpected (she should have been able to recognize a friend standing up for another - like Spike did for Thorax). Cadence is the princess of love and very close to Twilight so once Twilight said it was okay, I can't imagine saying no after that (plus, can you really be a princess of love if you don't forgive an individual?). Once the princess of Love and Friendship of a race of creatures that preach harmony say it's okay, I don't really see how any other pony would say no (I guess you could say ponies are pretty naive to be so trusting). I mean iirc the season finale supposedly has
the rest of the changelings returning and involving Flurry Heart
so it would be interesting to see what part Thorax plays in it
is honest and true in this episode or is he going to betray them - which does make their quick acceptance of him stupid - but, again I think that would go against the theme of "Friendship is Magic"

I enjoyed the episode and it does look like the Changelings may be a bad race afterall with Thorax being the rogue (my first thought was Drizzt of the Drow from the Forgotten Realms - where Thorax is the good one of a bad race).

Now, I'm really curious about the changeling that showed up at Cranky's wedding. Why was there no fuss there?

I wonder if Thorax was the changeling we saw in the background at the end of the second episode of this season.

Baby changelings manage to be even creepier than foals in the show.

So we know changelings do feed on love, but not how or if they can sense emotions or anything like that (so I guess many of the fanfics are still safe).

Unfortunately the episode does get some holes the more you look at it. Why has noone invented a Changeling disguise removal spell if AU Zecora had one? Why hasn't Chrysalis invaded the Crystal Empire yet considering it actually draws changelings in? Why is Thorax so adorably dorky?

Technically, it wasn't a spell iirc. Zecora can't used magic so she just used her knowledge of Alchemy and in that world the changelings won so she had a reason to develop it. I"d imagine that most ponies only know of Changelings in the normal reality as the creatures that attacked Canterlot, but most probably didn't care enough to develop anything since it didn't affect them and the changelings were defeated anyway. Though, you would think the military would have tried something. Maybe it's just not possible to do with magic? Or you just need to be super strong to cast it?

As for where Crysalis is, well the leaked episodes lists/summaries may give a hint at that.

Ogodei

I really liked the episode.

I may be slightly biased.

The problem might have only been a few days old (otherwise Cadence and Shining Armor might have reached out to Twilight or Celestia for help if this was a long-term problem) and AU Zecora could have taken a long time to develop that spell.

I enjoyed the episode. I'm surprised that people here are calling the ending rushed, when the crystal pony fear has probably only been around for a few days, and even if Shining Armor and Cadance had bad experiences with changelings, they trust Spike and have enough of a good nature to give Thorax the benefit of the doubt. I suppose shoving Flurry Heart into his face was a bit much, but I thought everyone accepting him when Spike fully stood up for him was perfectly in character. The only thing that stopped them from accepting Thorax earlier was that Spike was afraid to commit.

We learned a lot about changelings. They're hatched from eggs, apparently laid by Chrysalis. They are instinctively drawn to love and act feral around it, but can rein in these impulses with willpower. Thorax at least thinks it's possible for changelings to form bonds of love and friendship and thus feed off that instead of stealing it from others. This points to the idea that Chrysalis does what she does willfully, instead of her being driven by instinct solely, so she is to blame for her actions. Also, they can speak on their own, when not acting feral, can turn into inanimate objects (so the Cutie Mark Crusaders microseries comic now contradicts the show), and are apparently able to turn into unique ponies that don't look like anyone in particular, given that we didn't see a real Crystal Hoof.

I laughed at the part where Spike takes off his disguise in the empty street and gets swarmed by fans. I also particularly liked the montage of Thorax going around the city.

The song was... OK. I feel like this is a case where a simple speech would have worked better in the context of the episode. Actually, come to think of it, this could have been a great episode to use as a full musical. Still, it's nice that we got a real Spike song in the actual show, as opposed to the intentionally bad one in the show or his good Christmas album song.

It's odd that the synopsis called out Sunburst specifically when he didn't play much of a role in the episode. I also thought it was weird how they didn't use any of the things proven to work against changelings, like Shining Armor's shield or the wedding blast.

Concerning why everyone acted like this when we had Kevin the changeling in "Slice of Life", only the children noticed he was there. I'd like if there was a scene later where Spike is recounting this episode to Cranky and Matilda, and they say they knew about good changelings for years, they even had one at their wedding.

Oh, and bingo update! I got "Starlight has a speaking role in at least 3 one-part episodes". Since we know that we're getting a "Discord and X episode, where X isn't Twilight or Fluttershy", the only thing keeping me away from a bingo is "Older Flurry Heart appears". Season finale, don't fail me now! Though as a reminder, the season finale is called "To Where and Back Again". The other leak was a fake.

Jay RaR

It was an OK episode. It was slightly entertaining with Spike getting mobbed (over the Princess of Friendship??!?) and numerous praise about Spike that's not too overused imo. OK song, and prolly the second best Spike episode after Gauntlet of Fire. I did facepalm at Spike a bit when he asked questions to Thorax about why he's hiding (like those answers were pretty obvious Spike).

Oh and I guess with this episode, I updated my bingo card. Not getting much squares here though, lol. Not sure if there's a new recurring background character and I'm not too keen on a monster from Tartarus showing up.

The theme of the show is is "Friendship is Magic" and Twilight is the princess of friendship so it shouldn't be that unexpected (she should have been able to recognize a friend standing up for another - like Spike did for Thorax). Cadence is the princess of love and very close to Twilight so once Twilight said it was okay, I can't imagine saying no after that (plus, can you really be a princess of love if you don't forgive an individual?). Once the princess of Love and Friendship of a race of creatures that preach harmony say it's okay, I don't really see how any other pony would say no (I guess you could say ponies are pretty naive to be so trusting). I mean iirc the season finale supposedly has
the rest of the changelings returning and involving Flurry Heart
so it would be interesting to see what part Thorax plays in it
is honest and true in this episode or is he going to betray them - which does make their quick acceptance of him stupid - but, again I think that would go against the theme of "Friendship is Magic"

I enjoyed the episode and it does look like the Changelings may be a bad race afterall with Thorax being the rogue (my first thought was Drizzt of the Drow from the Forgotten Realms - where Thorax is the good one of a bad race).
I was waiting for this episode to come up sooner or later. The main theme of the show is friendship so I really wanted there to be at least 1 changeling who was good and capable of being friends, just like the griffons.

Now, I'm really curious about the changeling that showed up at Cranky's wedding. Why was there no fuss there?

That is kinda weird, huh? I imagine if Thorax came to Ponyville, Matilda (and maybe Cranky) would be the standout ones in the town to defend him.

Technically, it wasn't a spell iirc. Zecora can't used magic so she just used her knowledge of Alchemy and in that world the changelings won so she had a reason to develop it. I"d imagine that most ponies only know of Changelings in the normal reality as the creatures that attacked Canterlot, but most probably didn't care enough to develop anything since it didn't affect them and the changelings were defeated anyway. Though, you would think the military would have tried something. Maybe it's just not possible to do with magic? Or you just need to be super strong to cast it?

I'm sure if Twilight talked to Zecora about it and then consulted Sunburst to find an even more efficient method to make it work.

When going through Derpibooru for my episode roundup, I noticed that Thorax is getting a lot of art. Not too big a shock, but Spike X Thorax is surprisingly popular, given that it's a male/male ship. Also, an interesting thing is that Thorax humanizations are consistently androgynous, including in Crystal Hoof form. This may be the legacy of humanized art from before his male voice was revealed, but I still see it in art made after the episode came out.

By the way, 10 month old art that's relevant to this episode.
small.png

Good for a Spike episode... but man, did that resolution come from out of nowhere or what?
Solving problems through song [sometimes] is usually how shows like this work.

But, the way I see it, Spike didn't sweep it away just like that. All he did was convince everyone that one Changeling was a nice guy trying to escape from his old life and fit in. After failing to use his "Spike the Hero" status to do it, followed by the disguise routine that fell apart the way you'd expect, the only thing left was to be a bit more forward and ask them to give the Changeling a chance. Not under the name of "Spike the Hero" that he was worried about losing, but as "Spike the Friend".

Now that he's welcome, he can learn from them so he can help more Changelings to... "change".

Speaking of Thorax, I was kind of expecting him to sound more... bug-like?

They foreshadowed Chrysalis's reformation pretty heavily at the end there, huh?
I don't really Chrysalis as the type to be reformed. She'll probably end up the same like Tirek.

McNum

Could also be foreshadowing Thorax standing up to Chrysalis. Which would be a great character moment for our little bugpony. When the entire swarm is advancing on you demanding you move. That's when you plan your hooves firmly on the ground and say "No. YOU move!"

And then Thorax was Captain America.

Spike episodes aren't usually my cup of tea, but I was kind of surprised by how much I liked this one. Now I'm curious if Thorax's understanding of friendship will somehow result in Chrysalis's redemption.

Spike episodes aren't usually my cup of tea, but I was kind of surprised by how much I liked this one. Now I'm curious if Thorax's understanding of friendship will somehow result in Chrysalis's redemption.

Personally, I hope if Chrysalis returns, she doesn't turn good, but we get a scene of Thorax standing up to her. Ideally, we'd get a story similar to Odo's in Star Trek: Deep Space 9 where he hates what the Dominion stands for but can't help but be drawn back to it, but MLP simply isn't designed for that sort of story.

Anyway, episode roundup.

PREVIOUS EPISODES
From two episodes ago, some "Derby Racers" remixes.
174UDSI mix with "Stayin' Alive"
Entermatrix remix

You're not Gummy
Sweet Mouthed Horde
Cookies
Pranks Later
Don't Mess with a Bear's Owner
byflutterthrash1471381055254.png
SweetMouthedHordebyJowybean1471564532224.png
small.png
PranksLaterbyRenoKim1471733880929.png
DontMesswithaBearsOwnerbyInuHoshitoDarkPen1471820020066.png

And comic, which actually ties into this episode. Pinkie Pie Says Goodnight

SCREENCAPS
The Rarity plushie mentioned before. I like the designs of these crystal ponies. Crystal armors have smiley faces. Faces.
thumb.png
15.jpg
thumb.png
43.jpg

Baby Thorax. Hatchery wide shot. Mommy Chrysalis.
thumb.jpeg
thumb.png
31.jpg

GIFS
Again, linking these only from now on.
Spike mobbed
The above crystal ponies
Spike and Thorax mirror comedy routine
Baby changelings crawling through Chrysalis' leg holes
Totally real laughing
Twilight flappy wings

FANWORKS
There's a lot of Thorax art. I'll favor ones made earlier, even if later ones look similar but better. These are a bit smaller than usual due to the amount.

Happy Bug
Angry Bug
8RizU24.gif
iQbgA36.gif

Hissing Problem
Love Bug Hug
Thorax
Thorax button design
Baby Thorax
Spike and Thorax
EpisodeSketchHissingProblembySilFoe1471733879504.jpg
LoveBugHugsbywilshirewolf1471733879722.png
ThoraxbyScottishLepardLass1471733879990.png
ThoraxbuttondesignbyAleximusPrime1471733880821.png
BabyThoraxbysiggie7401471733881314.png
SpikeandThoraxbymysticalpha1471733883423.jpg

Freshly Hatched Young Queen
When Darkness Turns to Light
Apology
Chrysalis and her babies
Changeling Bab
small.jpeg
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png

Tear Down the Walls
For a Change
Thorax
Spike and Thorax
And why not, shipping art
TearDownTheWallsbyJowybean1471820019245.jpg
ForaChangebyAssasinMonkey1471820021531.png
ThoraxbyChocoChaoFun1471820021591.png
SpikeAndThoraxbyShadowlux1001471820021245.png
LoveSustainedEpisodeSpoilerbyLopoddity1471820023757.png

Good Thorax humanization.
thumb.gif

Comics.
Changeling Friend - This comic is based on the premise that the ending is rushed, which I mentioned I don't agree with, but I love Twilight's face in the last panel.
It's a traditional family name
What about Kevin?
Keep It Together

Rashomon episode coming

22. P.P.O.V. (Pony Point of View) - October 1
Twilight must find the truth after Applejack, Rarity and Pinkie Pie have three different versions of events from their boat trip and are upset with each other.

This is airing on the same day that Equestria Girls: Legend of Everfree is put on Netflix (which is before it airs on TV).

The writer of "Buckball Season" is Jennifer Skelly, who is new to this show but has done other things aimed at children. And finally, a woman writer! Odd how it took this long.

And also, comic news!

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #48
MLP48-cover.jpg
MLP48-coverRI.jpg

Ted Anderson (w) • Andy Price (a & mc) • Sara Richard (sc) • Matt Frank (ric)
"Chaos Theory" Part 1 of 3 - A Rare astrological event has a profound effect on Discord! What happens when Discord turns into a being of pure... order?!
* A storyline that will lead to major changes in MLP comics!

My Little Pony: Friends Forever #34
MLP_FF34-cover.jpg
MLP_FF34-coverSUB.jpg
MLP_FF34-coverRI.jpg

Thom Zahler (w) • Agnes Garbowska (a & sc) • Tony Fleecs (mc) • Low Zi Rong (ric)
Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich get trapped in a magical house that loves to party! But will it ever let them leave?

Both issues seem pretty good. I'm curious about the bullet point for the first. Could there be a lead in to Guardians of Harmony?

DemWalls

I learn that tomorrow's episode is written by Nick Confalone. Considering he wrote what are arguably the 2 best episodes of the season so far (No Second Prances and The Saddle Row Review), I hope we're in for a treat.

Nohar

Let's just say that "opposite Fluttershy" is scary as hell, and leave it at that.

The episode was rather fun, but I felt they focused a little too much on the guys being jerks to eachother. Overall, it felt rather forced.

This was a pretty fun episode, and Discord provided a lot of great visual gags, my favorites being opposite world, the train tracks going into a volcano, and his grand entrance.

In Ogres & Oubliettes (by the way, glad they went with the comic name), I was happy that even though the final part focused on the combat aspect of the game, the initial presentation showed Spike and Big Mac having fun with a non-action part of the game, with the failed jailbreak.

My big complaint is definitely that Discord switching from aggressively hating the game to him liking it was too sudden, but I feel like it was a bit better handled than his original turn to good.

Updated bingo card, with the Discord and X episode where X isn't Fluttershy or Twilight spot marked, as expected, but I got an unexpected bonus with the direct comic reference with the name of the game. Now I have three potential bingo spots (I forgot one before): older Flurry Heart, Spike's mother, and direct reference to Equestria Girls. At this point, only the first seems likely.

Unfortunately, for my episode roundup, I'll have to delay it until Tuesday, since other things are taking priority right now.

UberTag

This episode was bookended by some really strong and memorable gags in the opening and ending but the plot itself just sort of meandered leaving DeLancie to largely carry it by doing wacky voices and - as already mentioned - suffered by the tendency of a lot of Season 6 episodes in that it came off as a rather forced and tidy conclusion.

Things I noticed:

1. The Squizard's necklace has that weird S everyone drew in school.
S_symbol.png

2. Spike has his choice of any chair to sit in, and he doesn't choose Rarity's.

I'm surprised that the "make the game real" idea came so late, and could've been played straight. I was expecting something like Power Ponies.

They had an early showing of next week's "Buckball Season", and someone did a brief write-up. He doesn't go into specifics, but he says the episode is good and that a character that hasn't appeared in a LONG time returns and plays a major role in this episode. Speculation ahoy! I can't think of any season 1 character that's due for a return, or a season 2 character that could fit, so I'm going with Lightning Dust (from "Wonderbolts Academy").

Also, I said I wasn't going to do the episode roundup yet, but I'll just go ahead and post the stuff already in today's Drawfriend.
He used to be an adventurer like you
Dungeons and Discords
Pinkie Bard
GAME OVER, EVERYPONY
Heusedtobeanadventurerlikeyoubyshmanzu1472338745398.png
DungeonsandDiscordsbymysticalpha1472338746540.jpg
PinkieBardbyzelcface1472338746736.png
GAMEOVEREVERYPONYbydm291472338747537.png

EDIT: From Round Stable, working on the movie is Michel Gagne, an FX animator who worked on Iron Giant, Ratatouille, Brave, and other things.

PaulloDEC

I actually really liked this one. Initially I was kinda worried it was just going to be another go at the "D&D becomes real" thing, but the fact that the element of that they did use was there in service of the actual story (i.e. Discord continues to learn about getting on with mortals without being a massive jerk/monster) was a lovely surprise.

I really like the way Nick Confalone writes these characters too. Discord was just about perfect here IMO, with his ever-present undercurrent of malevolence bubbling up just often enough. He still feels like he might be dangerous here, which is how he should be.

Also I loved this bit:

Did not expect it, loved it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
My only real gripe with the episode is that it took to long to get to the meat of the episode. Way too much build up for guys night. As a result it felt really short.

PaulloDEC

My only real gripe with the episode is that it took to long to get to the meat of the episode. Way too much build up for guys night. As a result it felt really short.

I'm usually pretty sensitive to pacing in this show, but things felt pretty good to me this week. I think that because the story seemed to be more about Discord's experience in having to deal with "new people" than it was specifically about the guy's night meant that it the disparity in time spent wasn't a problem for me.

EDIT: Oh, and I read elsewhere that "Ogres and Oubliettes" was the name of the D&D proxy in the comics too. In other words, I get to mark off the "Direct reference to the comics" square on my bingo!

That's something I forgot to note. It did take a bit too long to get to the actual gaming, similar to another Discord episode, "Three's a Crowd", but the lead-up in this episode was better than that episode's, I think.. For the record, I liked both episodes.

EDIT: PaulloDEC makes a good point. The lead-up here actually did tie into the point of the episode, unlike in "Three's a Crowd".

Another thing I forgot to note: unicorns using telekinesis on swords confirmed! And when Discord brought the game to life, when the Squizard announced himself, I was disappointed that Spike didn't yell out that the Squid Wizard doesn't call himself that in continuity.

And another case of posting something ED just posted, good remix of "It's Gonna Work". Well, the chorus is good, the rest doesn't quite match up to it.

PaulloDEC

Yay bingo!

That's something I forgot to note. It did take a bit too long to get to the actual gaming, similar to another Discord episode, "Three's a Crowd", but the lead-up in this episode was better than that episode's, I think.. For the record, I liked both episodes.

EDIT: PaulloDEC makes a good point. The lead-up here actually did tie into the point of the episode, unlike in "Three's a Crowd".

To be fair, the pre-release teasers (and like, the actual name of the episode) all gave the impression that the D&D stuff was the whole point of the story. For me, it didn't really feel like a "D&D episode" by the end the way, say, "Dungeons, Dungeons and More Dungeons" did in Gravity Falls.

Another thing I forgot to note: unicorns using telekinesis on swords confirmed! And when Discord brought the game to life, when the Squizard announced himself, I was disappointed that Spike didn't yell out that the Squid Wizard doesn't call himself that in continuity.

And another case of posting something ED just posted, good remix of "It's Gonna Work". Well, the chorus is good, the rest doesn't quite match up to it.

I did wonder at the time whether we'd seen unicorns waving swords around like that before. Reminded me of my time slashing around the place in the "Horse Game" demo.

Nice remix, too. I think my favourite remix for that song might still be JoinTheHerd's attempt (which you yourself might have originally linked in this thread, Sigma).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom