• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Nintendo: Switch retail games will give (a few) gold points

Ridley327

What rewards do these points give?

Gold coins have been used for deeper discounts on digital software, as well as the occasional game. I'm not sure what to expect in the Switch era, but the fact that they're giving points away even with physical copies (paltry as the total is) will hopefully mean a broader program all around.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
If each card can only be registered once...why do these not get the same amount of points as eShop purchases? I mean, I expected no points at all so this is great, but such a huge reduction is surprising to me. I guess Nintendo really wants to push people towards buying digitally?

EDIT: Is that table in the OP based on the games are currently announced or is that suggesting there won't be any retail games less than $35?

When you buy digitally for $60, Nintendo gets $60 for a Nintendo game or $18 for third-party, less the cost of hosting a few gigabytes.

When you buy retail for $60, Nintendo gets around $30 for a Nintendo game less the cost of manufacturing and shipping the cart, or around $10 for third-party.

So nah, they're worried about doubling their actual income per game.

Ah, this makes sense now.

Mandoric

Banned
Oh, my mistake. Just people going to GameStop and getting every code under the sun? Is that what they're worried about here?

When you buy digitally for $60, Nintendo gets $60 for a Nintendo game or $18 for third-party, less the cost of hosting a few gigabytes.

When you buy retail for $60, Nintendo gets around $30 for a Nintendo game less the cost of manufacturing and shipping the cart, or around $10 for third-party.

So nah, they're worried about doubling their actual income per game.

Cuburt

So similar to the Wii U Digital Points Program except now physical games get credit now.

Just a reminder, Gold points are not like Platinum points, which was more like the replacement for Nintendo Club Coins/Stars.

Ridley327

If each card can only be registered once...why do these not get the same amount of points as eShop purchases? I mean, I expected no points at all so this is great, but such a huge reduction is surprising to me. I guess Nintendo really wants to push people towards buying digitally?

EDIT: Is that table in the OP based on the games are currently announced or is that suggesting there won't be any retail games less than $35?

We already know that Has-Been Heroes is $20 at retail, though given the OP's residency in Europe, I'm not sure how its release is being handled there.

nubbe

It would have been good with just half the points
Since you use them to get digital content anyways

This is cheap ass

Teppic

How generous of them. I guess Nintendo still hates me for buying physical, well except for the fact that the gold points are completely worthless so it doesn't matter really.

Shiggy

They simply don't give any points then.

Ridley327

It sucks it's only for physical. The option is still there on Fast RMX, but it says for physical only but there isn't a physical version

Digital software doesn't need to worry about it, since it'll already give you credit on your My Nintendo account once the transaction is complete. Amusingly, Fast RMX will give you more gold coins than a physical copy of BotW.

Ridley327

Oh, I didn't know that

As long as your Nintendo Account is tied to My Nintendo, any purchase on the eShop is automatically tracked and credited with the appropriate amount of gold coins. You don't even need to visit the website to verify the transaction, like you do with the missions for platinum coins.

As long as your Nintendo Account is tied to My Nintendo, any purchase on the eShop is automatically tracked and credited with the appropriate amount of gold coins. You don't even need to visit the website to verify the transaction, like you do with the missions for platinum coins.
Oh, okay, that's cool. I don't think they surface any of that stuff on the Switch anywhere tho, so I was confused

-MB-

Does this mean every cartridge has its own unique ID now? That would be quite a boon against potential piracy in the future.

Ridley327

Seriously. Considering how many videos about Nintendo Jim Sterling has made lately, I'm surprised he hasn't gone in on how shit My Nintendo has been.

There's really not much to criticize it for. It's a totally free service that's largely used for unlocking stuff inside of the mobile games, with a dash of coupons for console and handheld games on the side for those that buy digitally. The worst thing I could say about it is that its exclusive content is largely boring and that you can't "game" the system since the coupons are applied to your eShop account directly for when you eventually make the purchase.

Shiggy

Does this mean every cartridge has its own unique ID now? That would be quite a boon against potential piracy in the future.

Just like the 3DS cards.

Suppose they might update it at lunchtime, got 190 gold and like 1000 platinum i want rid of

They've done a midnight update with the Zelda guide. I'd be surprised if they added more later today.

Nesther

Wondering how regions fit in this cartridge verification thingy. Buying a JP card, having the Switch read it would then apply the points to say, a US My Nintendo account?

Cuburt

What? Dude, that difference in points sucks.
When you consider that physical games also get the option to resell (which digital doesn't) so someone could buy a new game, play it, get the points, and resell it but keep the points, it makes more sense. Also I'd assume prices are as MSRP and that just won't account for individual retail sale prices, so as long as you buy it within 2 years from release you can get the full amount of retail points.

By comparison, Nintendo also takes less of a cut from retail so it makes less sense for them to add reimbursements for retail sales when they get less there.

Seems like a clever solution.

iphys

I could have seen maybe giving platinum coins instead of gold if it had at least been a decent amount. You're going to have to buy so many retail games to earn enough gold coins for anything before they expire, it's a joke. They probably wasted more money on the technology to implement this system than it's even worth.

It's not much but it's better than nothing since retail games are almost always much cheaper.

Yep in Europe retail games are cheaper than digital games WITH my Nintendo discounts
Agreed. It evens out when digital copies are usually significantly cheaper.. Especially when it comes to preorders from sites like bestbuy and amazon.

Top Bottom