• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My own little XNA project

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Update:
What the hell!
Okay, I added keyboard support, but on Darobga's PC it was bitching about d3dx9_31.dll not being found. Then, after the "optional components" install from DirectX, it worked.
Does anyone know what I can do to make sure I can distribute this a little less painfully?

So I finally sat down and chugged out some stuff in XNA. You can find it here.
It might require you to install the XNA framework. You can find that here.
I believe it requires you to have XP SP2 going, so blame Microsoft for that.

Right now it just runs off of the 360 controller and keyboard. The left stick/directional keys moves you around. Not much, but I want to see how it runs on other people's machines, as I only have my assy old Windows box and my Macbook Pro.

Plus, this wouldn't be a bad time for me to start begging for artists/musicians and so on. >_>;;

Oh yeah, run at your own risk. Not that it should do anything, it runs fine on mine but you know. Not my fault if you screw something up. ^^

I'll be adding notes and ideas that come into my head as time goes by, suggestions for improvements are always welcome!

fushi

I don't have a Xbox 360 pad but decided to run it anyway, just to see what it was and it gave an error, nothing more. I have SP2 and also installed the XNA runtime. Same.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
fushi said:
I don't have a Xbox 360 pad but decided to run it anyway, just to see what it was and it gave an error, nothing more. I have SP2 and also installed the XNA runtime. Same.
Mothers of all hell...mind telling me the error? If there's anything to it. (And do you mean the XNA runtime gave you an error too, or that after running the XNA runtime it still errored?)

RevenantKioku

Ghost said:
Yeah errors for me too :(
Buh? Aren't you doing XNA stuff yourself? You then would have all the runtimes...I got it working on someone else's PC who had the runtimes installed...what the bloody hell is up then?!?

fushi

RevenantKioku said:
that after running the XNA runtime it still errored
That's what I meant.

It gives the usual Windows error ("... has encountered a problem and needs to close") with an error report. I can quote you some specific parts of it if you want.

RevenantKioku

Yeah, anything that could be given will be helpful. I can't really figure it out since it works fine on my own computer... ;_;

Darobga

I'm not sure what the problem is..I'm getting an error too. Dunno if it makes any difference but there are alot of references to your personal file setup on what I would assume is the computer you wrote the program on in the debug database? Would that make a difference?

RevenantKioku

Progress!
Thanks to Darobega, it seems that "could not load file or assembly" microsoft.xna.framework.game" is the error.
But now why would that be? XNA is installed, hell Ghost is working on a machine with the installation, right?

RevenantKioku

Ranger X said:
what kind of specs i need to run this on my PC?
Probably nothing. XP SP2 and the framework if should do you. Maybe the framework not so much needed now? Not sure.

It's fixed, same link, works now. Woo! DLL issue. Thanks Darobga for helping me pinpoint the issue.

accela

This is what i get, if it's to any help.

Appname: windowsgame1.exe Appver: 1.0.0.0 AppStamp: 45aa8936
ModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.2991 ModStamp: 45000998
fDebug: 0 Offset 00012a5b

Oh i just noticed you had fixed it. It's running fine now. I don't have a x360 controller tho so i can't move around.

Ranger X

RevenantKioku said:
Probably nothing. XP SP2 and the framework if should do you. Maybe the framework not so much needed now? Not sure.

It's fixed, same link, works now. Woo! DLL issue. Thanks Darobga for helping me pinpoint the issue.

Damn, i just re-read your first post and noticed you're not supporting a keyboard...
Would it work with a dualshock too? It's pressure sensitive and i have the USB adapter.

RevenantKioku

Ranger X said:
Damn, i just re-read your first post and noticed you're not supporting a keyboard...
Would it work with a dualshock too? It's pressure sensitive and i have the USB adapter.
Nah, I'm pretty sure the stuff is specific to the 360 controller, but feel free to give it a shot! Stranger things have happened.
Keyboard support shouldn't be that hard, in fact I think I know exactly what to do, so maybe I'll plug that in tonight so more people can experience the awesomeness of running around a field.

painey

how bout some screenshots? No point me downloading it without a wired 360 pad so it would be nice to see what it actually is.

RevenantKioku

painey said:
how bout some screenshots? No point me downloading it without a wired 360 pad so it would be nice to see what it actually is.
Anyone who's downloaded it can tell you there is a good reason there are no screen shots. :p
An artist, I am not. :lol
But since I underestimated the demand, I'll throw in keyboard support when I start working on the "talk to stuff" and text displaying part tonight.

sspeedy

RevenantKioku said:
Anyone who's downloaded it can tell you there is a good reason there are no screen shots. :p
An artist, I am not. :lol
But since I underestimated the demand, I'll throw in keyboard support when I start working on the "talk to stuff" and text displaying part tonight.

I'd appreciate some screenshots anyway ;)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Works now, nice, floating around some green stuff has never been so much fun :D

Have you thought about using one of the pre-built engines instead of going from scratch?

RevenantKioku

Ghost said:
Works now, nice, floating around some green stuff has never been so much fun :D
Grass!

Have you thought about using one of the pre-built engines instead of going from scratch?
Nah, this is 50/50 me learning stuff and me making my game. I'd rather do it myself then shoehorn an existing engine into what I want.

Plus, the wrappers XNA offers are more than sweet! Believe it or not, I did a whole RPG years ago in QBasic, so stuff like this engine I coded was relatively simple to pull out since I've done it before, it's just working with XNA and C# and my memory. :D

RevenantKioku

Okay, I added keyboard support, but on Darobga's PC it was bitching about d3dx9_31.dll not being found. Then, after the "optional components" install from DirectX, it worked.
Does anyone know what I can do to make sure I can distribute this a little less painfully?

http://www.bookofrevenant.com/junk/Release.zip

RevenantKioku

Emenis said:
Works fine for me.
Marvelous! Now everyone can go "WTF, I WAITED FOR THIS SHIT?"
Up-down-left-right keys for movement, btw.

Top Bottom