• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My personal ode to Switchball - the finest of the marble genre

SOR5

There is a particular type of game with a real simplicity that has been rolling around in front of our very eyes, marble games. Sometimes theyre a bit puzzle, sometimes theyre a bit action, sometimes theyre a bit of both. But mainly the trope is that you're a spherical object in an abstract landscape navigating around at a pace the developer seems fit.

There's Ball Resurrection on Android (honestly, check the Play Store for "3D Ball" and try not to drown), A unique and cult-hit with Kula World or the crazy Marble Blast Ultra, ho my GOODNESS that one was fast and fun

But the real GOAT is a game released on the Xbox Live Arcade and PC in 2007 and PS3 in 2009 called Switchball. Winner of the Best PC Game at the Swedish Game awards, and Technical Excellence Class during the IGF, developed by a studio called Atomic Elbow and published by Sierra, Switchball is all the typical features polished to the ultimate degree possible, a true masterclass in physics (thanks PhysX!), aesthetic and accessibility.

n5qDgl.gif

The above gif is just a painfully simple example of the first level, but even today the graphics still look satisfying and the sounds of a marble scurrying and rolling across wooden terrain is a joy for the ears, the real twist comes in the way the ball can take different forms such as a heavy steel ball that can roll straight through objects with enough momentum

DkLBQn.gif

However you have to be careful how you proceed, as the wrong weight might prove to be the players undoing, only lighter objects will last on things like thin cloth.

NkmPYz.gif

Or you can become an energy ball with the power to boost upon will through obstacles (with some gorgeous illumination)

ADGy1z.gif

Whilst a strong emphasis is placed on pushing and moving objects, many levels are meticulously planned and complex whilst being incredibly accessible to work with
82vm9o.gif

pYvGz1.gif

ADGymB.gif

I can't really accurately portray Switchball purely through .gif form but I want to say, if you have a 360, PS3 or PC handy please go and download a demo for this game. Switchball is one of those rare games that exists as a three dimensional experience but is timeless in its look and simplicity, something I could only say about other games like Rocket League. Getting through each puzzle and world is massively satisfying and the relaxed yet challenging pace is a pleasure to experience in an industry littered with twitch-movement and hand-holding.

Goddamnit I was going to post about Marble Madness! FUCK.

I love marble madness and this looks like 3D marble madness.

On the wishlist it goes.

SOR5

Wait, there was a PC version? How can I get this digitally? Steam? Amazon? TELL ME!

Heres the kicker, there aint any digital for PC :(

Theres only physical copies on Amazon (the first seen in 3000 years) and a small demo on Fileplanet and even THEN theres potential compatibility issues that you may run into. It's a real shame that it's existence in the PC space is hampered, however I can say the XBLA and PSN versions are fine and dandy. It may find a new audience with XB1 backwards compatibility but thats a different hope altogether.

How does this compare to Super Monkey Ball?

I love me some Super Monkey Ball, but like Marble Blast Ultra it's way more fast and arcade-y, this is a more sublime experience, in many ways its a hyper-glorified physics demo, but it's the nicest physics demo i'll tell you that. There is realistically no-one I couldn't recommend this game to. Killer Instinct's great but would I wouldn't recommend it to absolutely everyone. Bloodborne's great but I wouldn't recommend it to absolutely everyone. This? Virtually anyone.

Great game indeed.

I don't know if it's better but I definitely got in to Blast Ultra more.

This game definitely had the better presentation though.

Switchball fucking ruled. It was gorgeous (and still is) - I have really fond memories of the first night level where you're using that ball that can 'absorb' other powers that shoot beams of light out of your ball. Great physics, phenomenal bump-mapping, really really great level design. Such a fantastic game. Even the music was surprisingly catchy.

Too bad it's kind of a pain in the ass to get running on a modern PC (in my experience, at least). :(

Wow, I hadn't heard of it, but Switchball looks awesome. The ball-on-fabric action in that gif really intrigues me.

Here's a nice gif of Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble just because:
xqg00mI.gif

Switchball...Marble Madness...Kula World...all the kings accounted for.

I'll throw my nod to Mercury Meltdown and Fading Shadows, two fine little marblers on the PSP. Such a lovely little sub-genre.

Switchball is amazing, although wasn't there another game very similar to it from the same deceloper for PC? Under a different name? Or was it just that the pc version was different?

Bluforce

I loved Marble Blast Ultra on XBLA.

And I was really happy when a couple of years ago here on NeoGAF I was told about the existence of an unofficial PC port.

It's great.

I keep meaning to get this. Glad to hear that its even still listed, I should think a fair number of those early era download games would be pretty tricky to get anymore.

SOR5

I keep meaning to get this. Glad to hear that its even still listed, I should think a fair number of those early era download games would be pretty tricky to get anymore.

It's still going, but if there's a shred of a chance someone's reading this and has the ability to put it on Steam or GoG please do!!

89o

Neo Member
I miss the good old days... my favorite ball games were Ballance, Switchball, Slickball (although that one's kinda crap), Neverball, Hamsterball, Vertigo and Marble Blast. Unfortunately, I can't find a full version of Slickball or Vertigo anywhere, and Switchball only works on my gran's old Windows Vista.

stranno

Back then there were tons of Marble Madness clones, lol.

DRvBypN.jpg
G8DwzL3.jpg

My favourite are still the Kororinpa series for Wii, but, yeah, Switchball was amazing (it was the first PhysX SDK game ever, with some exclusive graphical features for Ageia PPU hardware).

Original Xbox Live Marble Blast wasnt bad either.

Not exactly the same but Archer Maclean's Mercury series for Playstation Portable was a blast back in the day (no pun intended). Fluid simulation was unreal for a portable console back in the day, and it was one of the first Playstation Portable games in US.

Last edited:
Top Bottom