• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PlayTV impressions

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
23uo6u0.jpg

Disclaimer: Got a "review copy" of the PlayTV. Version 1.0. Message at start up says software development is in progress and there might be some "performance issues". Tested it on a retail PS3 with a Seagate Momentus 5400.5 320GB HDD.

- File size is 141MB. It installs on the HDD. No need for the disc after installation. A new "TV" icon appears on the XMB between Video and Game sections. PlayTV is located under this icon.

- In the XMB, there is a contextual option (Triangle) to delete PlayTV. "TV" icon stays in the XMB after delete but disappears at the next system start up.

- PlayTV takes about 30 secs to fully start up. From the second you push X on the XMB that is.

- Menu is incredibly slick and fast and after some minutes of set up (channels scanning etc) you are ready to go. Channels selections and going back and forth from TV to menu and viceversa is fast as hell. No pauses, no hiccups. Nothing. Awesome blur effect in the background when something is brought up in the foreground. Cool fade out/fade in effect when switching channels. GUI is a tad bit confusing at first but 5 minutes later you "get it" and it's perfect. Video upscaling is impressive. Doesn't look shit on my 720p display.

- You can change screen size of TV video in real time. Options are: 4:3, 14:9, Zoom, Wide, Auto.

- Video recordings can be moved to the XMB Video section (MPEG2 4.8Mbps). They disappear from the PlayTV library when doing so. Video file has the same name of the video program you recoded and in the Details section of the Information screen it reports all the info you can read on the TV Guide. Cool.

- Software doesn't seem to check for updates at start up (at least it doesn't say). There is an option to manually check for updates tho. The review build calls it "Game Update Check". Clearly not final. I assume updating will work kinda like Folding@Home. Unrelated to PS3 System Software updates that is.

- You can record while watching movies on both Blu-Ray and DVD (haven't tested yet).

- You can stop background recording from the XMB by simply selecting the PlayTV icon and bringing up the contextual menu (Triangle). No need to launch PlayTV to stop recording.

- PS3 does indeed turn on automatically when a scheduled recording starts. You see a black screen with a message telling you the system will turn off automatically once the recording ends. Meanwhile you can press Circle to access the XMB as you normally would when you start the system. The XMB is actually fully loaded in the background. If you have a game disc in the tray, you can actually hear the sound of its splashscreen. Basically, you don't want to have Motorstorm in the tray if u are planning to record something at night time. Just be sure to turn off TV/Speakers/whatever ok?

- When turning off the system while recording, both physically and remotely via controller, the above mentioned message appears again. System will turn off once it's finished. You can press Circle to go back to the XMB (but in this case the system wont turn off automatically) .

- Now, here come the "not so good" part. As far as "recording while playing" goes, PlayTV does indeed not affect game performance one bit, BUT the recording itself is affected by gaming. Actually, every action that requires HDD access (even bringing up the in-game/PlayTV XMB) does affect recording, causing little pauses and video glitches. It's kinda annoying if you want a perfect recording. It's like those glitches you sometimes see with satellite TV. Got it? Even receiving a message can affect the recording. Basically PlayTV gives highest priority for HDD access to everything else besides itself. To stress it, I recorded some PixelJunk Eden for 10 secs while a PlayTV recording was going on in the background. When checking the TV recording during that 10 seconds time, it was pretty fucked up. But then again, this is not 100% final. So it might have been polished a bit.

So, here it is. Fire some questions if u want. Will try to answer as soon as I can.

Great update, am seriously considering getting one of these since my Sky HD box crapped out at the weekend.

Any idea if it's going to be compatible with Freeview HD if/when it ever surfaces?

BeeDog

TTP, is it possible for you to post a screenshot of the PlayTV icon in the XMB (when not running it)? Curious to see how it looks.

EDIT: Also, I haven't been keeping up, but in what European countries will this be available?

TheExodu5

Banned
Sounds pretty awesome.

The record while gaming thing works about as I would have expected. It was pretty obvious to realize either PlayTV or games would be starved for HDD access. It would be nice if you could hook up an external drive to it as to not starve the internal PS3 HDD.

Elios83

Thanks for the infos.
I wonder if there's a way to put the videos under the XMB on the PSP, even if that means that you have to put them on a PC through a hard drive (I've read it's possible) and then using a program like PSPvideo9 to convert them in a PSP format.

TheExodu5

Banned
Elios83 said:
Thanks for the infos.
I wonder if there's a way to put the videos under the XMB on the PSP, even if that means that you have to put them on a PC through a hard drive (I've read it's possible) and then using a program like PSPvideo9 to convert them in a PSP format.

Hmmm that made me think...I wonder if RemotePlay is possible? It would be pretty sweet to be able to watch TV on your PSP.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BeeDog said:
TTP, is it possible for you to post a screenshot of the PlayTV icon in the XMB (when not running it)? Curious to see how it looks.

sure

23uo6u0.jpg

When is this coming out? How much is it going to cost? Or is this a firmware update that will be comming out? Thanks for all the great info! :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheExodu5 said:
Hmmm that made me think...I wonder if RemotePlay is possible? It would be pretty sweet to be able to watch TV on your PSP.

It is. Fully functional. You can do everything you can on PS3 via PSP.

Thanks for your impressions. Do you know where it will be available across Europe?

At the moment Switzerland provides just about 4 channels via DVB-T. Is there a possibility that Play TV also displays normal cable TV?

Igo

Does this work with Sky? Would I connect the scart cable from the Sky box to PlayTV and then to the TV and can use PlayTV as a guide instead of the Sky guide?

bryehn

Any other compression options besides MPEG2?

Pretty outdated. Won't handle HD content very well at 4.8 MBPS at all.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
It ONLY works with DVB-T. Freeview.

There are no options in relation to the video compression. They might add them in the future tho. HD tuner is in the little box.

Tailzo

Thank you for the impressions, it actually sounds very good. I like that it doesn't affect the game performance.

Elios83

bryehn said:

Right now it doesn't handle HD content, it should be updated later with MP4/AVC codecs for HD recording.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tailzo said:
Thank you for the impressions, it actually sounds very good. I like that it doesn't affect the game performance.

Yeah, The odd thing is a disclaimer warns that it might affect gameplay, but it does the opposite (gameplay affects the video recording). I tested GT5P, Warhawk, Quest for Booty, Burnout Paradise, Eden and Monsters. Not a problem. Paradise was as smooth as ever.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Elios83 said:
Thanks for the infos.

well, you can easily copy them from the PS3 XMB to the PC and do whatever u please no?

Elios83

TTP said:
well, you can easily copy them from the PS3 XMB to the PC and do whatever u please no?

Well you know since there was this huge complaints thread a few weeks ago about not being able to view contents recorded with PlayTV on PSP *at all* because of some draconian DRM system I wanted to ask =)

DrXym

TTP said:
- PS3 does indeed turn on automatically when a scheduled recording starts. You see a black screen with a message telling you the system will turn off automatically once the recording ends. Meanwhile you can press Circle to access the XMB as you normally would when you start the system. The XMB is actually fully loaded in the background. If you have a game disc in the tray, you can actually hear the sound of its splashscreen. Basically, you don't want to have Motorstorm in the tray if u are planning to record something at night time.

Can you try this:

1. Set to record
2. Shutdown
3. Physically turn PS3 off and on via switch
4. Does it still wake up?

If yes, then:

1. Set to record
2. Shutdown
3. Unplug PlayTV dongle
4. Does it wake up?

If the answer to the first test is No then it means its only pretending to go into standby and could be consuming quite a lot of power as the CPU is still on. If the answer to the first is yes and the second is no then it means the PlayTV dongle is waking up the PS3. If it's Yes and Yes then the PS3 is managing to do it by itself.

DrXym

bryehn said:

It's probably just dumping down the data from the tuner. If some future update added AVC encoding then it would dump that out too. Depends if the tuner does HD (e.g. DVB-T2) as originally promised.

DrXym said:
Can you try this:

1. Set to record
2. Shutdown
3. Physically turn PS3 off and on via switch
4. Does it still wake up?

If yes, then:

1. Set to record
2. Shutdown
3. Unplug PlayTV dongle
4. Does it wake up?

If the answer to the first test is No then it means its only pretending to go into standby and could be consuming quite a lot of power as the CPU is still on. If the answer to the first is yes and the second is no then it means the PlayTV dongle is waking up the PS3. If it's Yes and Yes then the PS3 is managing to do it by itself.

Wake on RemotePlay on the PS3 consumes about 20 watts which is about 2 night lights of power. Its not a big deal either way.

Flek

Banned
i hate that sony pushed the relase back by a week ... i whas waiting today for amazon to ship my play tv but no thx to sony its next week now .

Pimpwerx

As usual, thanks a lot TTP. I'm not in the EU, but I am still optimistic that we'll receive some service like this in NA. PEACE.

TheExodu5

Banned
bryehn said:

I wouldn't expect anything else for a few reasons:

1) Data sent over cable is MPEG2, so this is just doing straight ripping of the video.

2) To add any encoding capability to the dongle means to add processing power to it, which means more energy used and a much higher purchase cost.

3) If the encoding capability is handed off to the PS3, it means that games or other applications/media-applications could be CPU starved, resulting in some slowdown somewhere in the chain.

TheExodu5

Banned
Elios83 said:
The file is .m2ts, it's a proprietary Sony format used in Sony's camcorders :lol :lol
So unless there's a way or a program to convert those files in a public format... no PSP :/

But other posters have claimed it was MPEG2 compression. That must mean that m2ts is simply a wrapper for an MPEG2 file, which probably means it's very simple and quick to convert to MPEG2.

AndyD

aka andydumi
TheExodu5 said:
But other posters have claimed it was MPEG2 compression. That must mean that m2ts is simply a wrapper for an MPEG2 file, which probably means it's very simple and quick to convert to MPEG2.

I just renamed it to mpg and it works just fine.

Elios83

TheExodu5 said:

Yes it should be exactly that way infact you can view these files with WMP with a DVD codec installed (or if you have PowerDVD).
But I don't know a program which can convert them, I guess a google search should do it, but since I'm quite busy and I'm not PlayTV I'll leave that to others :D

Ranger X

TTP said:
Basically, you don't want to have Motorstorm in the tray if u are planning to record something at night time.

I lolled. ;)

Hey i hope this thing will ever get released in Canada! We still don't have the movie store yet.

Sounds cool but only one input for antenna signal and no output killed my interest for the thing. I don't want to have to switch on my PS3 every time I want to watch TV. I'll have to wait for PlayTV 2.0 I guess...

pr0cs

Ranger X said:
Hey i hope this thing will ever get released in Canada! We still don't have the movie store yet.
Not much point really as there aren't a lot of OTA channels (YMMV).

Top Bottom