• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Thoughts on the Fate of the Marvel vs. Capcom Series

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That's why you call it SFvC, much more marketable of a name.

Bleh, I don't really want to see like 20-ish Street Fighter characters but I would take anything to have new versus game.

I'm still playing Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom nowadays, along with old versus games.

Blues1990

As much as I want to see a 'Marvel VS. Capcom 4', or even a 'Capcom All-Stars' game, I also don't want such things to happen. Aside from Dragons Dogma, I really haven't enjoyed most of Capcom's output, and I would be worried with how the quality of the game will be.

Neoxon

They weren't so big back then but now heh micromanaging every single aspect.
Even in the deal made for the MvC3 games, Marvel had the final say on which characters got in. They were a bit lax with Vanilla MvC3 (letting Capcom add Storm, Sentinel, Shuma-Gorath, etc.), but they tightened their grip with UMvC3 by only letting in characters they owned the movie rights to (or in the case of Ghost Rider, characters they anticipated getting the movie rights to back very soon). They also refused to allow Capcom to add any members of the Fantastic Four when Capcom wanted to add Human Torch, giving them Super-Skrull as an alternative (Marvel partially owns the movie rights to the Skrulls).

As much as I want to see a 'Marvel VS. Capcom 4', or even a 'Capcom All-Stars' game, I also don't want such things to happen. Aside from Dragons Dogma, I really haven't enjoyed most of Capcom's output, and I would be worried with how the quality of the game will be.
Their fighting games have been fine, & they even patched SFxT to be decent with ver. 2013.

Marz

Their is now way Magneto or Storm would be cut if a new Marvel happened.

They're literally the most iconic characters in the franchise.

Even in the deal made for the MvC3 games, Marvel had the final say on which characters got in. They were a bit lax with Vanilla MvC3 (letting Capcom add Storm, Sentinel, Shuma-Gorath, etc.), but they tightened their grip with UMvC3 by only letting in characters they owned the movie rights to (or in the case of Ghost Rider, characters they anticipated getting the movie rights to back very soon). They also refused to allow Capcom to add any members of the Fantastic Four when Capcom wanted to add Human Torch, giving them Super-Skrull as an alternative (Marvel partially owns the movie rights to the Skrulls).

I could have sworn this was officially stated to be a RAM issue due to the way the character model worked.

Neoxon

Their is now way Magneto or Storm would be cut if a new Marvel happened.

They're literally the most iconic characters in the franchise.
This is the company who replaced Wolverine with Rocket Raccoon as one of the faces of Marvel. No mutant is safe. You also had to consider that Storm only got in because Capcom was able to sway Marvel to add her.

I could have sworn this was officially stated to be a RAM issue due to the way the character model worked.
That was one of the issues. They were trying to work around it, but Marvel put the brakes on Human Torch.

Blues1990

I also remember that the Silver Surfer was supposed to appear in Marvel VS. Capcom 3, but that never happened. Heck, it was weird that none of Galactus' heralds had appeared.

jwhit28

With the way that Marvel is treating some of the more popular MvC characters (X-Men/Fantastic 4/Spider-Man) it seems like a great time to go full Capcom and even create original characters to use some of the more popular characters movesets (Magneto Clone, Storm Clone, etc.). It seems that Marvel isn't interested in any collaboration that isn't directly helping MCU.

I think dropping Marvel and being able to update the game and keep it for sale forever is more important than the recognition of the Marvel characters.

Can we get CVS 3 now? Since mvc4 is probably never coming. Snk can use a hit title and fans have been asking for it over the years.

Biker19

Banned
Who do we talk to to get the #UMvC3forPS4 movement off the ground?

How I wish this would happen.

I would love to see a PS4 port of this game (like how Ultra Street Fighter IV is getting on the system now) so that I can get rid of my 360, as that's one of the main reasons why I even still have the system at this point (in which the 360 version of the game is better than the PS3 version).

Neoxon

With the way that Marvel is treating some of the more popular MvC characters (X-Men/Fantastic 4/Spider-Man) it seems like a great time to go full Capcom and even create original characters to use some of the more popular characters movesets (Magneto Clone, Storm Clone, etc.). It seems that Marvel isn't interested in any collaboration that isn't directly helping MCU.

I think dropping Marvel and being able to update the game and keep it for sale forever is more important than the recognition of the Marvel characters.
Marvel's trying to get Spidey into the MCU, so he hasn't been screwed over by Marvel.
As stated before, both sides want another MvC. It's among Marvel's most popular & most profitable games. Money is the problem, mainly with the contracts & development.

TuXx

If Capcom can't get the rights to Marvel characters, they should try to make Cap vs DC. DC is just as popular as Marvel and Warner would be willing to give Capcom the rights since DC needs the exposure for their upcoming movies. Plus a new trilogy with different Heroes would be more welcomed than another Marvel vs Cap.

Grimsen

If Capcom can't get the rights to Marvel characters, they should try to make Cap vs DC. DC is just as popular as Marvel and Warner would be willing to give Capcom the rights since DC needs the exposure for their upcoming movies. Plus a new trilogy with different Heroes would be more welcomed than another Marvel vs Cap.

Not when Warner owns NRS. :/

Skilletor

but... DC has netherrealms and their games do fantastically well received. They have no reason to go to Capcom.

Neoxon

Warner Bros. has NeatherRealm Games, they literally have zero need for Capcom.

Dr. Buni

I'd rather get a Capcom All-Stars instead of a Capcom vs. DC. I already dislike most of the Marvel characters (the ones that appear in MvC at least) and the DC ones are even worse.

NEO0MJ

I'd rather get a Capcom All-Stars instead of a Capcom vs. DC. I already dislike most of the Marvel characters (the ones that appear in MvC at least) and the DC ones are even worse.

I'd love that idea. It's the only chance of a character like Jin can return.

Mar_Cap_Jin.png

I need more Jin ;_;

Neoxon

Which Marvel characters didn't you like?

Neoxon

To be more specific, I don't like the character designs. I know little about the actual characters. I like X-23 and Doctor Strange's designs though, but they are the exceptions.
X-23 would most likely be removed if MvC4 were to happen as per Marvel's mutant downsizing. Doctor Strange on the other hand is a guarantee to return, though he may get a redesign to reflect whatever his MCU design ends up being.

Top Bottom