• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Top 10 vaporware List: Graveyard of unborn games.

VonGak!

Banned
sphinx said:
what is the gameplay like? How does it control? what's the genre? what is the game about?

a whole year since its announcement and none of these questions answered. I can already start thinking something's fishy, can't I?

What do those questions have got to do with vaporware? :S

Let's stay with facts, the has been released two different videos from this video at different events (E3 and TGS) and Phil Harrison has since then mentioned in several interviews that the game is to be released in this fiscal year (preferably '07) not forgetting that he also more than once has pointed out that they purposely keep the gameplay secret to generate hype/speculations (the questions you just asked).
Also the studio still has Afrika on its official site.

EyeDentify should be listed instead of Afrika.

Xavier Fox looked pretty good

:lol :lol Never forget! :lol :lol
7.jpg

The_Dude

ShockingAlberto said:
Nope.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/515/515780p1.html

In May 14th, 2004.

Makai Kingdom, first known as Phantom Kingdom, was announced four months later with nothing shown until sometime in 2005, where it was renamed Makai Kingdom.

I'd be willing to accept that the two games became one, but Makai Kingdom almost certainly absorbed whatever was already done with Makai Wars.
Well, you got me with the PSP version! I didn't realize it had been announced so much earlier than the PS3 one, which was announced after Makai Kingdom was released - http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/651/651365p1.html. That article also seems to imply that it was shifted from PSP to PS3. I'm so confused :lol

Blunty

Anyone remember a PS3 game called Angel rings (yeh, dumb name I know)? Was from quite a way back, one of the earlier announced games for the system.

VonGak!

Banned
Blunty said:
Anyone remember a PS3 game called Angel rings (yeh, dumb name I know)? Was from quite a way back, one of the earlier announced games for the system.
Yeah but we didn't even get media on that game.

Only time mentioned was on the infamous TGS '05 "102 games in the making for PS3" list. :lol

CorwinB

A Black Falcon said:
To state some obvious ones...

Starcraft Ghost
Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans
Thrill Kill

The first two were announced as canned/put into infinite development loop by Blizzard, though. So I'm not sure they qualify as vaporware.

the bob ross game isnt dead. they just lost the developer (agfrag?) the company (bob ross inc) still intends to release a game for the wii/ds/pc....

PolyGone

Banned
1. Final Fantasy 6 SGI demo (god I'd love to have this thing!)

2. Mother 3 (N64)

3. Dinosaur Planet (N64)

4. Soul Calibur (DS)

5. True Fantasy Live Online (XBOX)

6. 64 Wars (N64)

7. Dead Phoenix (GC)

8. Goldstar Mountain (N64)

9. Rebirth (GC "tech demo")

10. Metroid Zero Mission (early version with cute Samus)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm sure it's been said, but the single most disappointing cancellation for me was...

outcast_screen009.jpg

outcast_screen001.jpg

outcast_screen006.jpg

outcast_screen008.jpg

outcast_screen006.jpg

...Outcast 2 - The Lost Paradise.

Nemesis_

4qd4txd.jpg

Does anyone know if this ever came to light?

Furthermore, does anyone remember a tech demo or game for the Gamecube, back when it was called Dolpihin, that was very Tomb Raider-esque and you played as a black woman, who was apparently a greek goddess?

Nintaiyo

Blue Geezer said:
the bob ross game isnt dead. they just lost the developer (agfrag?) the company (bob ross inc) still intends to release a game for the wii/ds/pc....

Yup, I heard that one too.

And about Dead Phoenix...some people seem to think that Nintendo should ask Capcom to rework that game into a new Kid Icarus game. Having never played the original, I don't know how well that would work. I guess it's mainly due to the similarities of the protagonist to Pit.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x said:
I'm sure it's been said, but the single most disappointing cancellation for me was...

...Outcast 2 - The Lost Paradise.
Ah, I almost forgot about that one, and yes, what a damn shame.

And heh, I remember some haters were screaming on top of their lungs how there was no chance in hell that was an actual PS2 game in those screens, how it must all be prerendered and fake. To think that it doesn't even look all that impressive anymore after all the stuff we've seen on PS2 eventually.

JDSN

Banned
sphinx said:
can you please tell me what was shown or said about PH? Thanks.

It was a part of a video shown in the Nintendo event, there's some Disaster footage as well.

Dead Rush
Made By Activision for Xbox, PS2 And GC.

dead-rush-20040602115351298.jpg

dead-rush-20040602115354860.jpg

dead-rush-20040602115356547.jpg

The game was meant to be "GTA meets Resident evil" with many situations that showed the character fighting alongside many NPCs, it was shown at E3 and it was canceled a week later.

Koomaster

Man, the Bob Ross game got cancelled? I was honestly interested in that. :(

Boy and his Blob, loved the NES version, but the DS version KEPT missing it's release dates and there was no word as to why or even any new media on it in forever so I knew it was dead and gave up hope a long time ago.

I refuse to believe AFRIKA or Project Hammer are dead, they are just being saved for a later time when things are slow. Similar to Afrika, I wonder whatever became of the Wii scuba game, something blue. Dive into Blue, Project Blue? I'm pretty sure it had blue in the title.

And didn't we recently get info about Metronome officially being shelved? I think it had to do with looking for a publisher, but I really do remember something about Metronome being posted on these forums semi-recently....

Ah...
Metronome is a 3rd person adventure game where sound is your weapon. Explore the city of Metronome in search of proof of the Corporations secret agena, while listening for sounds to record, and use them to fight enemies, solve problems and confuse citizens. Team Tarsier revealed that it has put Metronome on ice, and moved on to other projects for the time being.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152694&highlight=metronome

Such a shame, that really got me hyped for the 360 way before the console launched. :(

Haunted

sphinx said:

F.- AFRIKA for PS3

3.jpg

STORY: Rhino studios is(was) in charge of this game. We hardly knew anything about it besides the fact that it looked spectacular. Announced at E3 2006 Novemeber 2006, which in all fairness wasn't that long ago, was the last time we got screens from this game. I really looked for info about this but there is absolutely nothing recent about it. The interesting thing is that in this article, gamespot says the game was 30% complete in Nov 2006. Sony themselves said the game was a 2007 title. There is still hope for this game but so far, it seems it is about to jump in the vaporware train.

NO! You should know Sony's strategy by now... they don't show early builds. We haven't heard anything about Eight Days since E3 06, we haven't seen The Getaway since e3 06, we haven't seen Killzone since E3 05, doesn't mean those games are dead.

Haunted One said:
So it should be complete by now... I say it's doubtful that this game ever comes out. Same with Sadness.

Well unlike other games that never see the light of day, ASH actually gets talked about by its developers and Im pretty sure that Famitsu had some info on it a few months back (or at least promised some). Its just so strange that we have seen so little from a game that was one of the few reasons the DS future looked bright in the beginning.

JDSN

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Shantae Advanced
Shantae Gamecube

5xpvdpk.jpg

For what is worth, Wayforward is a Wii developer now, theres a even a picture of Shantae next to a Wii logo.

Dali said:
I'd also like to add:

Capcom Allstars (I think this was the name)

I just looked up media on the game, and it looked really interesting. Shame, shame.

I'll add Donkey Kong Racing to the mix. It seemed promising, much better than DK Jet.

sphinx

the piano man
first of all, the list is opinion bases and I tried to use instinct and common sense when selecting or rejecting games for my list.

I was about to add Banjo Kazooie for 360 but since rare HAS to be doing something and they are lazy asses, the game is slowly but surley going to come out in 2010 or something. In some other cases, like resident evil 5 or Final Fantasy XIII, the games will yes or yes come out at some point in time.

Other games like Afrika and Project hammer, were introduced at game shows like E3 or TGS to wow the audience and build a big list even if they knew some of the games may not get to the end of production.

on Sony's side, they have A LOT of work to do with their franchises before they work on Afrika. Killzone, Gran Turismo HD, R&C, are only some of the games that come to mind now.

On nintendo's side, everything Mario or Wii series gets priority. I bet disaster and Project Hammer were games to appeal to the hardcore audience back in 2006 just to cover their asses in case the Wii series games flopped. I am not saying they don't intend to release the games it's just that since wii sports and play have proven that the interest of wii owners is in the wii series, D:DoC and PH are at the bottom of their priority list. Disaster has been given to Monolith like Metroid to retro so nintendo (EAD) can keep experimenting Wii stuff. Who is in charge of Project Hammer?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shrike_Priest said:
The Lost for PS2.

Action-adventure based on Dante's Inferno, coming from the devs of System Shock. Could it be any more awesome?

lost_21.jpg
I was just coming in here to mention this.

Of course, most of its potential was rooted in the pedigree of its developer along with its concept. Most of the media we were shown was actually pretty rough looking and, in retrospect, was probably cancelled for a reason. I'm simply glad that Bioshock got off the ground (and is nearly upon us).

sphinx

the piano man
Doom_Bringer said:
NO! You should know Sony's strategy by now... they don't show early builds. We haven't heard anything about Eight Days since E3 06, we haven't seen The Getaway since e3 06, we haven't seen Killzone since E3 05, doesn't mean those games are dead.

sorry, I don't buy it.

if they had concepts set in stone, they'd let us know. As long as they don't show stuff, specially when it is taking YEARS to get anything, the message is " Please wait till we figure out what the **** are we gonna do with this game " which then means that the game is far from being set in stone, let alone in production process. In one word: Vaporware.

at the very least we'll had a sony representative mentioning specific games to make people know they are on their way. When was the last time they mention the word " afrika " ?? I can't remember. Maybe I missed an aricle or something.

Silent Hill 5 :(

If you wanted to blow up this thread you could add every single franchise commitment the PS3 recieved back at E3 that hasn't been heard from since.

Top Bottom