• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Top 10 vaporware List: Graveyard of unborn games.

mollipen

bjork said:
Serious. I was gonna play a witch just so I could fly around on a broom.

I was ready to plunk down $60 just for that one feature. I was sooo hyped for TFLO, and hearing it was killed almost detroyed me. Blizzard should totally have a broomstick as a secret/special mount in WoW.

4. Soul Calibur DS

8928248714757804.JPG

Is that real?

ShockingAlberto said:
Also, before IGA retconned the damn story, I was really looking forward to this.

unreleasedcastlevaniareas1.jpg

Castlevania Dreamcast starring Sonia Belmont.

That is actually more appealing the the Castlevanias we got on the PS2

mcgarrett

alistairw said:
What a shitty troll.
I'm a troll because I like the look of the original Fallout 3? OK. I guess we'll see when the teaser is released tomorrow, but are you really expecting a turn-based game?

Starcraft: Ghost
Raven Blade
Dead Phoenix
Car Battle
Metronome
Duke Nukem Forever
Sadness
Original version of Resident Evil 4
Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero Gamecube
Donkey Kong Racing

Haunted

Raist said:
I'm surprised nobody mentionned Sadness and Raid Over the River.

Nibris = new king of vaporware.
bah, I mentioned Sadness twice in this thread. :( Am I on your ignore list? :p

Boerseun

Banned
I hope we see Dead Phoenix and Raven Blade revived on Wii, also perhaps Thornado.

For PC, Torn, Outcast 2 and the original Fallout 3 would all do nicely. :)

Nemesis556 said:
Furthermore, does anyone remember a tech demo or game for the Gamecube, back when it was called Dolphin, that was very Tomb Raider-esque and you played as a black woman, who was apparently a greek goddess?

You're probably thinking of Young Olympians. Check this out.

Also loads of others on that site.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
CurseoftheGods said:
Is that real?
Of course not.

That is a photo of the arcade version, which just happens to look a whole lot worse than the Dreamcast version (older hardware).

Dyne

I miss Dead Phoenix. :( The only thing close to progress reports on it were the dumb rumours that it was being turned into Kid Icarus. Lame.

CurseoftheGods said:
Is that real?
Real as in the arcade version, yes.

Soul Calibur Arcade was just a few steps up above Soul Edge/Blade for the Arcade/PS1. Namco completely reworked the graphics for the Dreamcast game, which is why it was considered one of the most impressive efforts on the machine.

Call of Cthulhu: Beyond the Mountains of Madness
Call of Cthulhu: Destiny's End
They could have improved so much after the first game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Project H.A.M.M.E.R. isn't even close to vaporware. It does have a new name, however. I don't remember it offhand, but I could check the last Nintendo Power, I think it showed up there.

Should be on the list: Golden Sun 3 and/or Golden Sun GCN

Ultima X

test_account

XP-39C²
I'd like to add Mega Man Anniversary for GBA. I even saw an add for it with screenshots and picture of box art in a Mega Man Zero (i think) guide i have. This is maybe 1.5 - 2 years ago, still nothing have come out. Would maybe think they would move it to DS, but still no news on that game. Really strange why they put this game away :( Anyone know why?

test_account said:
I'd like to add Mega Man Anniversary for GBA. I even saw an add for it with screenshots and picture of box art in a Mega Man Zero (i think) guide i have. This is maybe 1.5 - 2 years ago, still nothing have come out. Would maybe think they would move it to DS, but still no news on that game. Really strange why they put this game away :( Anyone know why?
They claim they lost the code and rebuilding the games from scratch is a lot of work.

In the more likely situation, sales of MMAC probably weren't what they expected and didn't feel like doing all the work for the handheld games.

D3MO

Banned
5. GT4 (PSP)
- hmm.....yeeeahh...i'm gonna have to go ahead and ask polyphony whats up?

4. Starcraft: Ghost (PC)
- Delayed indefinatley :(

3. Duke Nukem Forever
- ...gonna wait forever

2. Fear and Respect
- j/k

1. Frame City Killer
- it looked fun

test_account

XP-39C²
ShockingAlberto said:
They claim they lost the code and rebuilding the games from scratch is a lot of work.

Seriously? I've heard this happend to another game too.

ShockingAlberto said:
In the more likely situation, sales of MMAC probably weren't what they expected and didn't feel like doing all the work for the handheld games.

Maybe, but judging by the ad and even picture of boxart (this could be concept tho) i would guess the game was pretty near completion. I want that prototype :)

Radius

dark10x said:
I was just coming in here to mention this.

Of course, most of its potential was rooted in the pedigree of its developer along with its concept. Most of the media we were shown was actually pretty rough looking and, in retrospect, was probably cancelled for a reason. I'm simply glad that Bioshock got off the ground (and is nearly upon us).

Actually The Lost was almost finished just before Crave, its destined publisher, reorganized, started publishing low-price games (Bible quiz? Ugh...) and refused to release it. No other publishr could be found because Crave still seems to have the rights for the game.
It didn't look as bad as in the pictures either since Irrational changed the game's engine (which is why it was in devleopment for over 3 years)

The only vaporware that brings me to tears is this one:

cfa_b.jpg

Capcom Fighting All-Stars
Announced for a spring 2002 release in arcades with a quick PS2 port to come it was canceled after some rather bad feedback from the game testers. Quite a shame since this seemed to be the last time Capcom was trying to be creative about their fighting games.

Saitou

Banned
Mejilan said:
Project H.A.M.M.E.R. isn't even close to vaporware. It does have a new name, however. I don't remember it offhand, but I could check the last Nintendo Power, I think it showed up there.

Should be on the list: Golden Sun 3 and/or Golden Sun GCN

Ultima X
Oh, you mean Camelot RPG?

Man, that'll never get old.

bluemax

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Earthbound 64, Rev Limit, and Robotech 64 come to mind.

Earthbound 64 got released as Mother 3 on GBA.

PolyGone said:
1. Final Fantasy 6 SGI demo (god I'd love to have this thing!)

2. Mother 3 (N64)

3. Dinosaur Planet (N64)

4. Soul Calibur (DS)

5. True Fantasy Live Online (XBOX)

6. 64 Wars (N64)

7. Dead Phoenix (GC)

8. Goldstar Mountain (N64)

9. Rebirth (GC "tech demo")

10. Metroid Zero Mission (early version with cute Samus)

#1 wasn't a game, just a tech demo.
#2 I already covered
#3 is Star Fox Adventure

#8 I remember thinking looked pretty cool.

test_account said:

I didn't realize this never came out. Wow.

Quartet

The Dreamcast got is fare share of canned project, but the kings on that console were from:

EA:
"we will release titles on the system once it sell 1 million unit" .... kinda happy they never did

Namco:
"Soul Calibur will now be followed by 1 new game each month" ... and we got Mister Driller

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I recall Acclaim announcing various games based on the Patroit at one point (including a racer of some sort). :p Was it all a dream?

Actually The Lost was almost finished just before Crave, its destined publisher, reorganized, started publishing low-price games (Bible quiz? Ugh...) and refused to release it. No other publishr could be found because Crave still seems to have the rights for the game.
It didn't look as bad as in the pictures either since Irrational changed the game's engine (which is why it was in devleopment for over 3 years)
I almost wish I hadn't read this. :(

Sanjuro

StarCraft Ghost.

If there were screens and actually more info on the games if they were started or not Metroid Dread and Transformers PS2 sequel (which the movie likely killed).

Panzer Tactics DS. It looked unbelievable at E3 last year, but there haven't been any updates since last August. They've also blown their "4th quarter 2006" release date.

tanod

when is my burrito
JoshuaJSlone said:
? What's unreal about the one that exists?

They cut out a lot of story in between 1 and 3. They took out the Xeno-Bible. They changed the great voice actors from the first game (they were back to the originals in 3). The battle system was notoriously broken and the game was incredibly short.

It was nothing like 1 and 3 which were, at the very least, really solid (3 was great, IMO) RPGs. The game was also massively scaled back while in development and the original game's producer (story creator) got pushed aside for XenoSaga 2. The final game suffered as a result.

Top Bottom