• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N64 controllers. where to buy? ANY good 3rd party ones?

I wrecked my last working original-Nintendo N64 controller in a heavy mario party session yesterday. :(
So I'm browsing the internet since hours for a decent replacement.

what the hell?? New original ones sell for 40-50 euros??
Used ones with slightly broken("in some games running doesn't work"...lol really?) stick for 13-20euros?
what makes things even worse is that pretty much all 3rd party controllers I've found so far have horrible ratings.

any ideas or help?
thanks in advance

sidenote: no stick-replacements and other repairs pls

MarkusRJR

There is no perfect solution apart from getting a good condition Nintendo branded controller or a (now fairly rare to find in good condition and a decent price) Hori controller. The GCN style stick replacements have issues with "calibration" (it's in a square instead of a circle) but are pretty durable and comfy. The N64 style replacements feel worse than OG Nintendo branded sticks and wear really fast (also have very slight "calibration" issues but not nearly as bad as the GCN-esque sticks).

And avoid nearly all third party controllers. They are almost always garbage.

Note: I say calibration issues because I'm pretty sure there's a specific term but I'm just forgettibg.

Vexxan

Hori Mini Pad is the way to go. They are pretty expensive but once you try one you can never go back, that analog stick is just too good.

thanx for the suggestions so far

Hori Mini Pad is the way to go. They are pretty expensive but once you try one you can never go back, that analog stick is just too good.

I would LOVE to get one but ,man, 100+$ for a new and 60+$ for a used controller?
that's a bit heavy

Neverism

Bosskey Productions

Quoted for truth.
I purchased one along with WWF No Mercy after reading reviews that celebrated the gamecube-style analog stick.
So far I've been impressed with the resilience of the stick and want to expand my N64 library as a result!

Edit: I purchased it used, via Amazon and it has survived moderate wear-and-tear associated with dishing out a few hundred Stone Cold Stunners

Vexxan

thanx for the suggestions so far

I would LOVE to get one but ,man, 100+$ for a new and 60+$ for a used controller?
that's a bit heavy

Don't bother with trying to get a brand new one, none of the controllers I have were considered new but they are in excellent condition. The Japanese sellers are really good at keeping things in top shape. Just make sure the analog stick isn't discolored(yellowish tint or generally just bad looking) and you'll be fine.

Can also add that they are rather small so if you got big hands if might be uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time.

Rich!

Get this competition pro. Build quality is amazing, form factor is ideal and the stick is the same as the nintendo one but never, ever wears out. And they are cheap.

joy020.jpg

Best controller for the n64, absolutely hands down.

Thread over

ShowDog

I was just at the flea market, I could have gotten you 4 of em for $20. I left with a Gamecube controller I've been needing.

MCN

Banned
Get this competition pro. Build quality is amazing, form factor is ideal and the stick is the same as the nintendo one but never, ever wears out. And they are cheap.

Best controller for the n64, absolutely hands down.

Thread over

I can vouch for this. I have one, and it is rock solid. Been using it for years.

Rich!

I can vouch for this. I have one, and it is rock solid. Been using it for years.

I've got one that's lasted me since 2001. Analog stick is still as good as the day I got it.

I bought that one preowned for 99p from GAME. I've got two others now. All of them are great, and they shit all over the official Nintendo one.

Only other alternative is a hori pro (expensive!), a replacement joystick for the official pad (poor dead zone) or a GameCube to n64 controller adapter (button layout is poor for the n64)

Top Bottom