• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NA PS Store 99¢ Flash Sale (Braid, PvZ, SSHD, Tokyo Jungle, Back to the Future, more)

HanselBot

Banned
Alright, so it sounds like Tokyo Jungle is a must buy...

I watched a video and not sure I "get" it. Is it just a lot of fun?

RK128

Alright, so it sounds like Tokyo Jungle is a must buy...

I watched a video and not sure I "get" it. Is it just a lot of fun?

You can play as a small fluffy dog and run around killing things....whats not to love man :)!

Seriously though, the game is a lot of fun with lots of different animals to play as, tight controls and its jut lots of fun. If anything, this harkens back to the wacky PS1/PS2 Japanese days with bizarre concepts making into games so crazy they are just make since. For only a buck, you will have a blast playing this :).

HanselBot

Banned
You can play as a small fluffy dog and run around killing things....whats not to love man :)!

Seriously though, the game is a lot of fun with lots of different animals to play as, tight controls and its jut lots of fun. If anything, this harkens back to the wacky PS1/PS2 Japanese days with bizarre concepts making into games so crazy they are just make since. For only a buck, you will have a blast playing this :).

Fair enough, done :) Picked up all the TellTale games as well as a friend has been suggesting those for a while (and I spent a lot of time with Monkey Island and Sam & Max back in the day :D).

HanselBot

Banned
Aww. Sucks this isn't UK too, would have totally been down for some PS2 red faction. Braid and tokyo jungle. Bummer.

Just create a US account. Doesn't cost you anything and you can still play the games on your UK account. That's what I do :)

EDIT: Oops, double post, sorry...

Darknight

Want to confirm. Is When Vikings Attack! cross-buy for real? If so why do they allow you to buy both? From description its sounds as its cross-play only.

Edit: bought Vita version, if I get PS3 version its gonna be cool. Else I dont mind.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Want to confirm. Is When Vikings Attack! cross-buy for real? If so why do they allow you to buy both? From description its sounds as its cross-play only.

Cross-buy games always allow you to purchase multiple versions, but you can only buy one of them. Yes, it is cross-buy

OnFire331

Grabbed Tokyo Jungle and Super Stardust HD with the 2 dollars I had left in my wallet. Hope they're worth it, I'm going in blind.

edit: Unrelated to this sale but is there still a chance of a Hard Corps: Uprising sale in the future or has that ship sailed?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I picked up crash 3 and trial freestyle.

Even for a dollar trials wasn't worth it.

NFreak

I picked up Tokyo Jungle, Super Stardust HD, Retro City Rampage, Sam & Max, and Tales of Monkey Island. Sweet for 5 bucks total.

fvng

I'm really enjoying monkey island, discovered two humorous but minor oversights.. Voodoo lady voice actress saying "purchased" when the subtitle said procured..

And of course the pause screen

9q7tnUI.jpg

Would buy again

RedSwirl

Wait the funding minimum is $5?! That makes the sale basically worthless if I only intend to buy a single PSOne game (most of which are $5 or $6 anyway).

fernoca

Wait the funding minimum is $5?! That makes the sale basically worthless if I only intend to buy a single PSOne game (most of which are $5 or $6 anyway).
Yeah. Been like that since always. It's no problem if you want to spend over $5 in games, but for sales like this; it is worthless if you don't plan on buying less than 5 games.

Wagram

Picked up Spyro 1, 2 , 3 (still have an unopened C.E. on the shelf) and Crash 1, 2, 3, CTR.

Probably the best $7 i've ever spent.

jakomocha

As jakomocha posted above, I'm curious about World Gone Sour. Only because I think it's something my Wife might wanna play as well. We enjoyed co-op in Little Big Planet. Anyone know if this game could offer a similar experience?
Hmm.. I decided to buy it and I enjoy it for what it is. As basically a advertisement you have to pay for, it has no right to be as good as it is. It even has Little Big Planet vibes going for it. Multiplayer is okay, but a little more frustrating than single player due to having to split up Sour Patches. For $1, it's worth it in my opinion.

Do I need to play the previous Sam & Max games to understand/have the full experience of the third season, or is it a completely stand-alone game? I don't want to miss out on half the experience, and this is the main thing stopping me from buying it (I know nothing about Sam and Max outside of Poker Night 2). Also, how's Tales of Monkey Island?

Elixist

got tokyo jungle, sshd, rcr, everyday shooter and retro grade.

tokyo jungle is pretty cool, i got killed by a hippo shit. sshd is good the snake enemy you shoot is one of the most satisfying top down shooter enemies ever, and the rumble effects are top notch too, main gun sound gets repetive though. rcr seems pretty meh idk the cars arent really fun or the combat, the little nostalgia bits are kinda neat though.

No one else bought when vikings attack?
After dying to NOTScar for the umpteenth time, I've been enjoying unlocking the various playfields and tackling the bosses of each, i'm 6 levels in and still got a lot to go..
I wanted to see how people felt about the multiplayer, but I guess I'll try it myself with my nephew!

AlexBasch

Ended up getting only Tokyo Jungle and When Vikings Attack. Really wanted the first, the latter can't be too bad for 99c and from what I played on the demo.

Too bad Crash doesn't work on the Vita, though. :/

Ended up getting only Tokyo Jungle and When Vikings Attack. Really wanted the first, the latter can't be too bad for 99c and from what I played on the demo.

Too bad Crash doesn't work on the Vita, though. :/
Those were my top choices! Glad to see at least one other person choose WVA!

jakomocha

Sorry, I hate to post so soon again but the sale is ending soon and it's really late where I live. Is Sam & Max better to play after playing Season 1 and 2 (is it a direct sequel)? If so, is it better for me to just not buy it or rent Season 1 and Season 2 on the Wii and play those two before Season 3? How are Season 1 and 2 on the Wii? Do I need to know anything about the comics to enjoy the game?

Also, how's Tales of Monkey Island? I have $2 left in my account, and I could spend it on these two games if you guys think thats worth it, or I could save it/spend it on a PS1/2 classic game.

Sony still not letting you just buy a game outright(ie, have to add 5 dollars) is real silly but oh well. I'll use the other 3 eventually.

jakomocha

World Gone Sour or Red Faction worth getting? Only 2 I am on the fence about.

World Gone Sour is pretty good (much better than I thought it'd be), although the controls are a little floaty. I'd say it's worth 99 cents. As I said previously, it does have some LittleBigPlanet vibes going for it. Don't know about Red Faction though.

Eltros

Banned
I almost forgot about this sale and would have missed out but thankfully I logged on here and saw this thread. I bought 5 games. I got back to the Future, Jurassic Park, Monkey Island, and Red Faction 1 and 2.

Credit cards charge a transaction fee so it is not unreasonable to expect minimum transaction sizes. The sale may be worthless if you wanted 1 item but the credit left in the your PSN account may not be.

If it makes you feel better the only funding I can use if gift cards making this $10.

Eusis

Man, I really wish CTR was at a higher frame rate, but at least this time I'm not sure I CAN fault the developers for going for prettier visuals given this is Naughty Dog and the PS1 didn't exactly have horsepower to spare, not like modern systems where concessions shouldn't have to be as extreme. Nintendo did Mario Kart 64 at 30 FPS I think but that was probably half because they went with sprites over polygonal models, and Naughty Dog always prided themselves on going full 3D with Crash 1 so I couldn't see them making such a huge concession here.

Still, they can definitely make a good cart racer, and it makes me wonder if they could still produce one. If they do may as well go the PSASBR route, certainly you couldn't do the same with just Uncharted and TLoU unless they wanted to go for a surreal change of tone, and that's easier to swallow when it's a big pile of properties anyway.

PranooY

Bought a 10$ PSN card (since i don't belong to NA) and bought 10 games

Back to the Future: The Game
Tales of Monkey Island Bundle
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse
Braid
Tokyo Jungle
RCR
Plants vs Zombies
Crash 1
Crash 2
Crash 3

fvng

Yeah. Been like that since always. It's no problem if you want to spend over $5 in games, but for sales like this; it is worthless if you don't plan on buying less than 5 games.

Damn are you guys strapped for cash? The sale was worthless? really? Geez

Sorry, I hate to post so soon again but the sale is ending soon and it's really late where I live. Is Sam & Max better to play after playing Season 1 and 2 (is it a direct sequel)? If so, is it better for me to just not buy it or rent Season 1 and Season 2 on the Wii and play those two before Season 3? How are Season 1 and 2 on the Wii? Do I need to know anything about the comics to enjoy the game?

Also, how's Tales of Monkey Island? I have $2 left in my account, and I could spend it on these two games if you guys think thats worth it, or I could save it/spend it on a PS1/2 classic game.

The Sam & Max games are independent from each other in terms of continuity. Monkey Island is good but Sam & Max is better

Eusis

Damn are you guys strapped for cash? The sale was worthless? really? Geez
I suppose if you never, ever plan to buy anything else on PSN again afterwards then it's a bum deal, but if you DO plan to get more later then it's just credit sitting around. Not that I can fault the intimidation factor or the fact that maybe money is just that tight, but I guess you just have to weigh whether having that money sitting there is minor enough to justify getting whatever you want. It's not like Wii, DSi, or pre-updated 3DS/Wii U where your money's locked to that one device anyway.

And Sam & Max have references to prior seasons. Honestly the continuity's only a big deal with 2, where you do get more out of it by playing 1 first though it's not required. 3's very much stand alone though.

Prototype

So I picked up Tokyo Jungle based on the praise I've seen on GAF and I have to say...

It's freaking awesome.

Can't say I've ever played anything quite like it. Very cool game. 99 cents is a steal. Pick this up if you're on the fence. Tons of fun and very strange lol.

fvng

And Sam & Max have references to prior seasons. Honestly the continuity's only a big deal with 2, where you do get more out of it by playing 1 first though it's not required. 3's very much stand alone though.

I have not played the prior telltale Sam & Max games and I never felt lost playing the devil's playhouse like I was missing something. Playing the other seasons is definitely not a prerequisite

cripterion

Weird, I only have like 5 titles listed for the flash sale... Anyways, got that Viking title and urban trials.

Edit : like all the other games you guys are talking about like the monkey island, etc...are not even on available on my psn store. I have a US account but am located in Europe, could that be the reason?

Recall

Weird, I only have like 5 titles listed for the flash sale... Anyways, got that Viking title and urban trials.

Edit : like all the other games you guys are talking about like the monkey island, etc...are not even on available on my psn store. I have a US account but am located in Europe, could that be the reason?

Nope shouldn't be.

I'm in the UK and just go to my US account and sign in and the store has everything that should be there.

Eusis

I have not played the prior telltale Sam & Max games and I never felt lost playing the devil's playhouse like I was missing something. Playing the other seasons is definitely not a prerequisite
Well, I mean that you should play 1 before 2, but neither are really needed for 3. The reason for this is
recurring bit characters from early in the first season ultimately become the main antagonists of the second, whereas nothing remotely as significant is in the third.

cripterion

Nope shouldn't be.

I'm in the UK and just go to my US account and sign in and the store has everything that should be there.

Like all the other games talked about I just do a search on the psn store and they are not even there...
The only thing I could think of for not having them is because I am on a Japanese Vita with a US account and now located in Europe. Or I dunno... It's so odd though.
Tokyo Jungle search for example gives me 5 paint park sticker items, a talkman travel Tokyo (psp game) and nothing relevant afterwards.

So for me the flash sale consists of : Retro City Rampage, When Vikings Attack, Urban Trial Freestyle, Everyday Shooter and Gex : Enter The Gecko

Eusis

Bought Tokyo Jungle, hope so that you guys were right about this.
It is, at worst, absolutely worth 99 cents. Even if you can't bring yourself to be completionist and unlock all the animals and finish the story mode you'll likely get some fun with it.

Top Bottom