• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naked peeping tom in critical condition after beatdown by victim's family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I view the level of the beating in the same way shootings are viewed, just to a more open degree: the discussion should be less about how the father/brother should've only beaten the guy to a certain point. It should be more about whether they should've beaten him at all.

In the heat of the moment, an untrained person won't be able to surgically incapacitate a threat while consciously minimizing serious/fatal injuries. I don't know specifics about this beating (they could've tried to outright kill him), but even if they only tried to hit him until he stayed down, that's enough to kill someone. Fists/feet aren't non-lethal weapons and a single blow can kill someone. It's not quite the same as shootings since most guns are specifically designed to kill other people, but it's the same general concept. One shot serves the same purpose as an entire mag so long as the attack stops once the threat is neutralized. same with one punch vs. 20. We can't really justify beating while admonishing causing serious injury since the two are closely linked.

G. N. Arly

Neo Member
actually, in most cases, the cops would walk. no charges would be filed unless there was a tape they didn't confiscate and destroy or if there was community uproar against them.

hell, in this particular case, if the dad was a cop, people would be even more lopsided with comments like "lucky he didn't have his service weapon on him!" and "i bet the cop deduced the guy was headed towards another house with small kids" and other stuff like that.

Yeah... you might be right at that. Though I would hazard that if that was how it went down that would make this case even more crazy and wrong. I want to say that I would doubt that a trained policeman would resort to nearly killing the guy when he had the tools to just cuff him... police brutality is definitely a thing, and there's a lot of it seemingly going on.

How many times do you think cases almost exactly like this happen but the dad or brother or family member or friend of the person the peeper was peeping on, just reined back a bit and detained the dude after getting a few good shots in, instead of going that extra mile and hospitalizing the dude? I bet it happens all the time.
This wouldn't even be a case and no one would complain if the peeper was tied up after getting a broken nose, or knocked out, or, hell, even if they broke his arm!

G. N. Arly

Neo Member
I view the level of the beating in the same way shootings are viewed, just to a more open degree: the discussion should be less about how the father/brother should've only beaten the guy to a certain point. It should be more about whether they should've beaten him at all.

In the heat of the moment, an untrained person won't be able to surgically incapacitate a threat while consciously minimizing serious/fatal injuries. I don't know specifics about this beating (they could've tried to outright kill him), but even if they only tried to hit him until he stayed down, that's enough to kill someone. Fists/feet aren't non-lethal weapons and a single blow can kill someone. It's not quite the same as shootings since most guns are specifically designed to kill other people, but it's the same general concept. One shot serves the same purpose as an entire mag so long as the attack stops once the threat is neutralized. same with one punch vs. 20. We can't really justify beating while admonishing causing serious injury since the two are closely linked.

This is a good point. It is absolutely true that one wayward punch or a unlucky fall can potentially kill someone but I think there is a substantial difference between a instance like that and a beating like in this case. And I believe, though I might be wrong, that the difference is as big as the difference between second degree murder and manslaughter.
The peeper apparently threw the first punch, yeah? So there's justification for the guy to defend himself against possible injury (or even death). And there's also the fact that the peeper was committing a crime on the family's property and against their daughter which, I would think, justify a citizen's arrest ergo the pursuit of the peeper.
If they did accidentally kill the peeper with a wayward punch or if the peeper fell down wrong I would imagine that the family would be protect to some extent. I would also imagine that the case wouldn't be as convoluted and messy as it is now, though I have nothing to really base that on.

To me the perfect scenario would have been if the dudes chased down the peeper, detained him and transferred him to the proper authorities without causing too much bodily harm. Could it have happened? Yeah, I think so. Is it reasonable to assume they have safety done that? Yeah. I think sometime between catching up to the peeper, out numbering him, getting him to the ground and beating him until he was almost dead they might've been able to detain him.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Guy wouldn't have made it off my lawn. No sympathy for someone masturbating while spying on underage girls.

The legal system wouldn't have stopped him, but this might.

BTW, story shows that relying on the legal system in this case wouldn't have stopped this guy.. twice convicted in the past.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The word "peeper" is a bit euphemistic. Pedophilic Serial Naked Masturbator is actually more accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom