• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco censors Tales of Berseria despite insisting they won't

I give them props for at least responding and explaining why they did it unlike other companies. I moreso put the blame on the ESRB for being inconsistent when it comes to their violence rating.
this sounds like it was more PEGI than ESRB, but for simplicities sake they are just shipping the change in all regions

Semajer

Decent of them to explain the situation. Censorship due to ratings are still an unfortunate fact of life. I'm still hoping a mod, or DLC as someone on the Facebook page mentioned (is that even possible) will restore the scene, but I'm happy with my preorder.

I really wish games could just come with "de-localization" DLC that I'd imagine would be fine passing ESRBs as extra content

Plus (unrelated) but more subjective localization changes could be made optional this way for people who want or don't want changes

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its unfortunate that it still affects the game as the scene as it plays out is important to later events. Especially with the japanese dub, what happens isnt going to make any sense from the perspective of the edited version

Muffdraul

To be fair, the censored scenes in Episode I work better than the uncensored Japanese version

I might agree slightly if they hadn't left the knife sound effects in the NA version. IMO all of the original JP scenes in the trilogy were better, even if only on the principle that it was the original intent of the original creators.

game-boi

I really wish games could just come with "de-localization" DLC that I'd imagine would be fine passing ESRBs as extra content

Plus (unrelated) but more subjective localization changes could be made optional this way for people who want or don't want changes

Nope. DLC has to remain within the rating of the base title.

Wow what an edgy game

e- LOL

image.jpg

Anime

BLACK HEARTED EVIL

BRAVE HEARTED HERO

I AM ALL, I AM ALL I AMMMMMM.

Inuhanyou

Hope you can also change her hair and hide that giant red arm.

You can change her hair but the arm is plot related and cant be hidden when she brings it out

Of course she has to transform it, its usually hidden by bandages

tumblr_o5kjfbTN4v1qa94xto2_500.gif

Sanke__

When will game publishers learn that a T vs M rating doesn't matter for video games like PG13 vs R does for movies

It could even be argued that an M rating helps sales

Cruixant

I find this kind of strange, especially since they didn't even bother with Xillia 2. Heck, when I was playing I actually thought Bamco was trying to tone down the gory parts in Berseria in order to get a CERO B rating, compared to Xillia 2. The latter was definitely more bloody in my opinion.

matmanx1

Eh, kind of silly, right? And the censored scene was a lot more work than the original. The original was simplistic in its brutality while the censored version uses flashy magic to tone it down a bit.

koutoru

According to RPG Site, Bamco is considering an uncensor patch for the Steam version. If they do it then I guess I'll get it on PC instead.

Interesting, In terms of the esrb, I thought patched content/ dlc was still taken into consideration when it comes to a rating.

No idea how it works for PEGI.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
According to RPG Site, Bamco is considering an uncensor patch for the Steam version. If they do it then I guess I'll get it on PC instead.

Wait so they made the change on the Western copies for PC and ESRB players too? If that's the case than consideration is nice but they shouldn't have thrown ESRB and PC players under the Bus along with the PEGI players in the first place and force this change upon us just because PEGI was having a fit.

Sami+

I expected this to be about the stupid character design of the main character and was gonna call it the right choice.

That was stupid tho. What an overly complicated change lol.

Savitar

The clothing doesn't even make me blink, it's an old anime/manga type thing.

The censorship in the video is what bothers me immensely.

It's a common pattern, it's even stranger that a lot of swords/bladed weapon censorship seems to be on the rise too.

Zolo

I expected this to be about the stupid character design of the main character and was gonna call it the right choice.

That was stupid tho. What an overly complicated change lol.
The former would be dumb too since you can get an alt costume really early in the game.

B.K.

I might agree slightly if they hadn't left the knife sound effects in the NA version.

Yeah. That is the worst part about the scenes in Episode I. It's weird that they went back and fixed that in Episode I: Reloaded. You would think they would have done it to begin with.

Vamphuntr

I really do hope they make the same thing on PS4. I, for example, won't have a good PC in a good while so I have to buy the PS4 version.

They can't do that because the rating on the box wouldn't be valid anymore. With steam you don't need a rating in the first place since the PC version is digital only. This patching strategy was used by H game in the past until valve asked them to stop it.

Mivey

So they are doing the same thing as some explicit VN games on Steam? I was joking when I mentioned that, earlier in the thread. Mad world . .

chrono01

If this is really the only change we receive, I guess it's not entirely bad. It still seems a bit unnecessary to me, though. A kid getting stabbed with a sword or impaled through ritual magic, the end-result is the same. :/

I still feel the original version is more impactful, but if this is the only censor I'll still purchase the game at launch. I still hate seeing this kind of change.

Faustek

I'm going to blame Nintendo.

Anyway does it matter? Miniature human dies in both just that instead of the Z sword it's a couple of masenkos impaling the miniature human.
Anyway I'm buying it.

-Ryn

Banned
I really gotta get into this series. Looks so cool. Shame about the censorship on whatever it was they're censoring. Censorship in any capacity sucks really.

I like weird and stupid anime stuff but this is fucking garbage lmao

So ridiculous. It should have gotten censored in the first place for being a strain on our eyes.
Blatant LIES

Inuhanyou

I really gotta get into this series. Looks so cool. Shame about the censorship on whatever it was they're censoring. Censorship in any capacity sucks really.

You can start with this game, its not directly connected to anything. I actually recommend starting here infact.

I really love the opening <3 This is a cool cut video some guy made, no spoilers dont worry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdkhqrv1dUA&t=70s

Sabas

Banned
They valued a ESRB Teen/ PEGI 16 rating more important than the contents of their work. At the end of the day, that's on Bandai Namco.

TheFatMan

You're MORE concerned about censoring outfits than something that apparently affects the story (I'm not clicking the spoilers explaining it, I'm looking forward to the game)?

Well this change to the scene isn't really affecting the story lol. I know you didn't click the link to see what was changed.

But to give a unrelated and spoiler free example. It's like changing a scene where someone bashes your head in with a mace to a scene where someone punches you in the nose.

The result is exactly the same.

Akainu

Well this change to the scene isn't really affecting the story lol. I know you didn't click the link to see what was changed.

But to give a unrelated and spoiler free example. It's like changing a scene where someone bashes your head in with a mace to a scene where someone punches you in the nose.

The result is exactly the same.
What? No it isn't. One would do way more damage and have a greater chance of killing you outright. It would completely change your expectations of the event.

Top Bottom