• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco founder Masaya Nakamura dies at 91

Although not what they used to be, Namco has been a great company over the years and are responsible for many of my favorite games/series of all time. RIP Nakamura.

RIP

Absolutely amazing accomplishments and Namco will continue to succeed beyond his passing. It's always amazing to create something that will live one greatly after you're gone.

ExVicis

Wow 91 years old? Rest in piece Masaya Nakamura. You were responsible for a lot of the gaming industry being as great as it is, you will be missed.

Cutebrute

He lived a long life with many accomplishments that will outlive him and keep him in our memories.

RIP, and thank you for your contributions to society, as Namco has had that large of an impact in the world.

entremet

RIP.

Along with Konami, Capcom, SEGA, and Nintendo, they're among my favorite Japanese developers. Namco is legendary.

MysteryM

RIP. The guy was a legend, pacman was one of the games that started it all for me. Gaming wil always be a part of my life, and it's down to people like him.

Loona

Can anyone explain to me why The Hollywood Reporter thinks Nakamura was a playable character in Marvel vs. Capcom 3?

Must have involved a lot of confusion between Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter's Norimaru and Namco X Capcom's inclusion of Bravoman, who was partially inspired on Nakamura:

bravoman-namco-x-capcom-7.52.jpg

One of the great ones - he wasn't mentioned a lot, but it must have taken someone exception to not only start a company associated with the first major gaming icon, but keeping up the company's relevance and encouraging (or at least not hindering) its creativity over the years. When I look at a good part of Namco's body of work I see a lot of love for the medium and their history, especially in things like Namco X Capcom's use of not only flavor-of-the-year characters, but also now-obscure characters the devs must have grown up with and cherished the opportunity to revive, or the UGSF series site, which is probably just one superfan in the company trying to establish a continuity of a series of very diverse games, and the company let him have a site to show it off.

Here's hoping the company's future is blessed with someone who can keep that spirit alive.

Banned
RIP. Right up there with Yamuachi and Iwata on what they did with the Japanese gaming industry for their respective times.

Top Bottom