• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Mueseum Vol. 1-5 releasing on US PSN this week, also Ranko Tsukigime

Tizoc

Thanks to Takao for linking to the PSNStores page
PlayStation Store Sneak Peek: September 30th 2014

Demos
Invizimals: The Alliance (Vita)
Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom (PS3)

PSone Classics
Namco Museum Vol. 1
Namco Museum Vol. 2
Namco Museum Vol. 3
Namco Museum Vol. 4
Namco Museum Vol. 5

PS4 Games
Chariot
Futuridium EP Deluxe
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Natural Doctrine
Pier Solar and the Great Architects
Sherlock Holmes: Crime and Punishments
Second Chance Heroes

PS3 Games
Falling Skies: The Game
Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom
Natural Doctrine
Pier Solar and the Great Architects
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Short Peace: Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day
Sherlock Holmes: Crime and Punishments

Vita Games

Invizimals: The Alliance
Futuridium EP Deluxe
Natural Doctrine

EU GAF can get these games to play on their PS3s, but in total they'll be $30ish.
Here are the games in each collection
from wikipedia:

Vol.1
Pac-Man (1980)
Rally-X (1980)
New Rally-X (1981)
Galaga (1981)
Bosconian (1981)
Pole Position (1982)
Toy Pop (1986

Vol.2
Mappy (1983)
Xevious (1982)
Gaplus (1984) - the Galaga sequel
Grobda (1984) - a Xevious "spinoff"
Dragon Buster (1984)
Super Pac-Man (1982) -
Cutie Q (1979)

Vol.3

Galaxian (1979)
Dig Dug (1982)
Ms. Pac-Man (1982) - the Pac-Man sequel
Pole Position II (1983)
The Tower of Druaga (1984) - including Another Tower and Darkness Tower
Phozon (1983)

Vol.4

Pac-Land (1984)
Assault (1988)
Ordyne (1988)
The Return of Ishtar (1986) - the sequel to The Tower of Druaga
Genpei Tōma Den (1986) - renamed Genji and the Heike Clans
Assault Plus (1988) - as a hidden game.

Vol.5

Pac-Mania (1987)
Dragon Spirit (1987)
Metro-Cross (1985)
Baraduke (1985)
Valkyrie no Densetsu (1989)

Sadly I have no more room in my 64 GB for those games...least til I get my retail copies of VLR, Wipeout 2048 and Sonic Racing Transformed.

Tizoc

Any advantage to the PS1 Namco Museums over the more modern collections for 360/PS3 or even Xbox/PS2?

From what I've been told the emulation in these PSX ver. are OK, but I've not tried the other compilations to comment on them sorry.

Eusis

Any advantage to the PS1 Namco Museums over the more modern collections for 360/PS3 or even Xbox/PS2?
I think there might be some first person exploration stuff? Maybe I'm misremembering or it's guided, but that WOULD sound like the sort of stuff to expect from these earlier 3D console releases before they decided to be more pragmatic and stick with menus and stuff. Sonic Jam did similar, with a 3D space you would run around in to select the games and bonus stuff to check out, which Sonic Mega Collection did not do.

They have a Sonic Jam-esque museum structure that can be explored. There's a few secrets hidden within it, too.

Also, I'm pretty sure Namco Museum Vol 5 is the only legal way to play Legend of Valkyrie in English.

Tizoc

They have a Sonic Jam-esque museum structure that can be explored. There's a few secrets hidden within it, too.

Also, I'm pretty sure Namco Museum Vol 5 is the only legal way to play Legend of Valkyrie in English.

What if these are the JP versions?

Toad.T

Banned

A few of the games included in some of them (most of 4/5 and I think one from 1 and 2) have not been released in the US outside of these collections. This includes the Norse-inspired top down shooter: Legend of Valkyrie.

daydream

Banned
Oh, didn't see this thread. I'll quote myself from the PSN thread:

The Namco Museums on PS1 are held in high regard, pretty sure. Probably will get all of them eventually, it's quite a library of games. Dig Dug II is the only notable omission off the top of my head if you compare the assortment to later iterations of NM.

I guess I forgot to ask if these will be available on Vita without transferring from a PS3?

Exploring the actual museum parts was so damn cool at the time.

Also woooow, SCEA is only just now releasing the Invizimals game? That's like a full year since Europe.

Endesu

Woahhhhh, been interested in these for a while. Only ever had Volumes 1 and 3... 2, 4, and 5 were always too pricey. Wouldn't mind a release of the JP-only Encore.

Tizoc

Oh, didn't see this thread. I'll quote myself from the PSN thread:

I guess I forgot to ask if these will be available on Vita without transferring from a PS3?

Well the last PSX game Bamco released was Pacman World 1 which was VIta compatible, so these should be too.

Game Guru

The only compilation that even compares in terms of game selection is Namco Museum Virtual Arcade. Virtual Arcade includes every game from the five volumes except Toy Pop from Vol. 1, Gaplus from Vol. 2, Phozon and the extra versions of The Tower of Druaga from Vol. 3, every game from Vol. 4, and Legend of the Valkyrie from Vol. 5 as well as games exclusive to Virtual Arcade. I would say only Virtual Arcade is really superior to the five PS1 versions taken as a whole because of the number of games and them being arcade accurate when appropriate, although Namco Museum 50th Anniversary is also arcade accurate.

In addition, the five PS1 Volumes have a Museum Mode which chronicled Namco's history at the time.

Tizoc

The only compilation that even compares in terms of game selection is Namco Museum Virtual Arcade. Virtual Arcade includes every game from the five volumes except Toy Pop from Vol. 1, Gaplus from Vol. 2, Phozon and the extra versions of The Tower of Druaga from Vol. 3, every game from Vol. 4, and Legend of the Valkyrie from Vol. 5 as well as games exclusive to Virtual Arcade. I would say only Virtual Arcade is really superior to the five PS1 versions taken as a whole because of the number of games and them being arcade accurate when appropriate, although Namco Museum 50th Anniversary is also arcade accurate.

In addition, the five PS1 Volumes have a Museum Mode which chronicled Namco's history at the time.
Is this the one you're talking about?
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...ials/cid=EP0700-NPEB00104_00-NAMCOMUSEUMFULLV

kick51

Banned
from wikipedia:

Vol.1
Pac-Man (1980)
Rally-X (1980)
New Rally-X (1981)
Galaga (1981)
Bosconian (1981)
Pole Position (1982)
Toy Pop (1986

Vol.2
Mappy (1983)
Xevious (1982)
Dragon Buster (1984)
Super Pac-Man (1982) -
Cutie Q (1979)

Vol.3

Galaxian (1979)
Dig Dug (1982)
Pole Position II (1983)
Phozon (1983)

Vol.4

Pac-Land (1984)
Assault (1988)
Ordyne (1988)

Vol.5

Pac-Mania (1987)
Dragon Spirit (1987)
Metro-Cross (1985)
Baraduke (1985)
Valkyrie no Densetsu (1989) - renamed Legend of the Valkyrie

kick51

Banned
seeing Tower of Druaga makes me wish they'd release Nightmare of Druaga as a PS2 classic. it'd probably run fine on the emulator.

Tizoc

from wikipedia:

Vol.1
Pac-Man (1980)
Rally-X (1980)
New Rally-X (1981)
Galaga (1981)
Bosconian (1981)
Pole Position (1982)
Toy Pop (1986

Vol.2
Mappy (1983)
Xevious (1982)
Dragon Buster (1984)
Super Pac-Man (1982) -
Cutie Q (1979)

Vol.3

Galaxian (1979)
Dig Dug (1982)
Pole Position II (1983)
Phozon (1983)

Vol.4

Pac-Land (1984)
Assault (1988)
Ordyne (1988)

Vol.5

Pac-Mania (1987)
Dragon Spirit (1987)
Metro-Cross (1985)
Baraduke (1985)
Valkyrie no Densetsu (1989) - renamed Legend of the Valkyrie

I'll update the first post with this, but Valkryie no Densetsu literally would translate as Legend of the Valkyrie, there's no renaming :p

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Ranko Tsukigime was by the Tokyo Jungle guys, right? Day 0.
Time to buy ranko! Suda (haha, not really) and Tokyo jungle joining forces to create a game? Aww yis
Buy this game if you really really really
really
like Suda's brand of weirdness, not because you liked Tokyo Jungle. This is definitely one of the more "out there" works even by Suda standards and I wouldn't recommend it if you're only looking for gameplay as there's less than half an hour of it in the game.

cj_iwakura

really
like Suda's brand of weirdness, not because you liked Tokyo Jungle. This is definitely one of the more "out there" works even by Suda standards and I wouldn't recommend it if you're only looking for gameplay as there's less than half an hour of it in the game.

I've played The Silver Case.

Come at me, Suda.

I have the first three Namco Museum volumes on disc, but I might get 4 and 5 on PSN, since the discs can go for quite a bit online and I can never find them anywhere nearby, and I really want to own the only US release of Legend of Valkyrie. It's such a good game.

randomkid

That is such nice serendipity that Ranko finally comes out on PSN the same week that the game that inspired it (Genpei Tōma Den). Pretty sure I'm picking up both, and time to look up some footage of Legend of Valkyrie too, sounds cool!

Just popped in Volume 3 a few months ago to walk around the museum and look at pictures of weird memorabilia.

Will gladly repurchase.

Neff

So would this be an emulation of an emulation?

Since it's on PS3, yes. Meaning it won't run optimally (I've even had slowdown while running them with downloads active).

Still amazing value for what you're getting, though. I paid £60 apiece for these back in the day.

dock

I'm pretty disappointed with how retro collections have died, and one of the things I like best about the PS2 are the Taito and Capcom classics collections. The retro selections on PSN miss out some compatibles entirely, or mangle the subject entirely (recent Pac Man Museum debacle)

Glad these are available :3

kick51

Banned
I'll update the first post with this, but Valkryie no Densetsu literally would translate as Legend of the Valkyrie, there's no renaming :p

oh yeah no problem, you're welcome. i just copy/pasted it from wiki and took out the ones they said were japan only

send complaints to jimmy wales, thx

Astarte

really

I adore Suda's brand of unusual, so I'm pretty hyped.

I've played The Silver Case.

Come at me, Suda.

My jealousy rages on

cj_iwakura

My jealousy rages on

Eh, not much to be jealous about. The game is text upon text upon text, and more of a point-and-click graphic adventure between walls of dialogue. I'm not getting THAT much out of it, but damn is the atmosphere thick.

kick51

Banned
Haha I love GAF...

me too. nitpicking over semantics of the word "rename" then acting like it's a gift that he's putting basic information in the OP, without saying thanks. then not even putting the correct US title for the game in the OP because superior nihonjin

really

like for real like Killer 7

or like "hehe suda so quirky" like all the later games his name is on

Top Bottom