• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name a game you like in a genre you don't like.

GamerJM

Banned
Cave Shooters: Resogun (that counts as a cave shooter, right?)

......Cave is a developer, not a genre.

Cave generally developers "Bullet Hell shmups", which Resogun is not.

You're probably just thinking of shmups in general I assume, which Resogun is.

nkarafo

F-Zero X is my favorite game of all time. Its not that i don't like futuristic racers, i do like them, but they are far from being my favorite genre. Yet, this game surpasses the best games of my favorite genres so far anyway.

orborborb

If you like one game in a genre there are probably at least a few others you will like as well that you just never found, the best I can do is "Frequency" being the only "tap buttons in time to the music" game I ever thought was actually worth sinking some real time into.

And Myth The Fallen Lords and its sequel are the only RTS games that hooked me, though you could argue they aren't really RTS games.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
......Cave is a developer, not a genre.

Cave generally developers "Bullet Hell shmups", which Resogun is not.

You're probably just thinking of shmups in general I assume, which Resogun is.
Yeah? That Cave Shooter Megathread that gets bumped every so often talks about other games, so I think that's where I got confused.

...and I've always found the term "shmup" annoying, so I've avoided using it.

redcrayon

Usually I find shooters incredibly tedious but I really enjoyed the original Gears of War and Binary Domain. Also Mass Effect 2 if that counts.

GamerJM

Banned
Yeah? That Cave Shooter Megathread that gets bumped every so often talks about other games, so I think that's where I got confused.

That's fair, I understand why some people would feel that way. "2D Spaceship shooter" or something like that is probably a better way to describe the genre (though it's not really accurate since a lot of more modern games have you controlling cute anime girls instead of spaceships).

whoszed

Portal, especially Portal 2. I'm not huge on puzzle games, they just feel too laborious to me. At least in those games (again especially in 2) you're going through a world that feels believable.

Also God of War, I don't have any interest in hack'n'slash but GoW is just so well produced. And the gameplay feels good.

Mother 2 and 3

Traditional rpg's bore me to death mainly because how cliché and predictable they are. Can't say that about these games.

you can just call them shooters i guess, i hate the word shmup as well.

hao chi

Pikmin is the best answer I have, though I can't say I dislike RTS games, I just don't really have much experience with them.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Warcraft 3, not big on rts but I had fun with the entire campaign. Edit: Heh surprise to see some similar replies.
Same. Although, Warcraft 3 got me interested in Starcraft 2.

DainBramage

Neo Member
I don't really like horror games but I do remember really getting into the first Dead Space (even tho I can understand that hardcore horror fans might not consider it to be a horror game) But most of the time I do like to experiance different things in gaming so as long a game is well executed and designed I tend to enjoy it even tho it might be a genre I usually do not consume as much.

AniHawk

Never thought about it like that. I'm curious how you felt about Crazy Taxi or other similar arcade racers?

i loved the hell out of crazy taxi. i think i've dumped at least 20 bucks into crazy taxi arcade machines over the last 15 years. i really liked criterion's nfs most wanted too.

Harlequin

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Shooter)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (Shooter)
Heavenly Sword (Hack 'n' Slay)
WET (Shooter)

Generally not a huge fan of combat-centric games but these are definitely exceptions.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Good thread.

FPS is a genre I don't like.

Half-Life is a game I very much like, but it's unfair to class it alongside typical FPSs because it has more adventuring. In fact the reason I like it is because I get Tomb Raider vibes from it.

Uncharted is the only pure third-person shooter I like and Last of Us the only zombie game. The ND factor goes a long way.

I don't like most FPS's. The ones I do enjoy are ones I can play with physics like Half-Life 2's Gravity Gun. My friend and I also had competitions in Halo to see who can launch a Warthog the highest into the air.

Wiktor

Melty Blood, fighting game. Because it had a good story and I'm a fan of that universe.
Bushido Blade too, because of realistic swordplay.

KeRaSh

Loved Fire Emblem, although I hate SRPGs.
Loved Guacamelee, although I hate fighting games. I admit it's not really a fighting game in the sense of Street Fighter but knowing what it was kept me away from it in the beginning. I'm glad I gave it a shot, though. It's one of the best Vita games.

Im gonna go with DoW2 in RTS too. I suck at RTSes but DOW2 is awesome.
Also, RO2/RS in online FPS. Ive been sick to death of online shooters for a long, long time but RO2 is absolutely sublime

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Not a fan of online multiplayer games but I had a lot of fun with Chivalry and I am also looking to get into War of The Vikings once it's out of Early Access

Melchiah

I don't like platformers, RTS, and sandbox games, yet I liked LittleBigPlanet, Warcraft III, and Infamous: Second Son. Although, LBP's ridiculous life limit between the checkpoints made me quit playing the game later on. Starting levels back from the beginning after a slight miss is not something I find entertaining, and it's one of the main reasons for why I hate the genre.

EDIT: Almost forgot Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, which is the only online game I've found enjoyable and interesting enough to play.

jRPG isn't a genre, it's a regional term.

jRPG does denote a region but there is a very distinct difference between eastern developed RPGs and western ones, as such that denotation does in fact represent a sub-genre of RPG games, or a new genre altogether, depending on your opinion.

Top Bottom