• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name a sequel that lived up to the hype/surpassed the original

(please)

looking for movie sequels that surpass the originals - i feel like the ratio is so small compared to ones that fail

Last edited:

TUROK

I wouldn't say it surpassed the original, but I feel safe in saying people were not expecting Rambo 4 to be so badass.

That was an amazing theater experience.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think its SAW (2017) great kills
tumblr_p3laobRdC91t0demio1_500.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
MIssion impossible, all of them. It get's better and better
John Wick. 3 has some of, if not the, best action I've ever seen.
Im going to need you to fallback on that one, Mission Impossible 2 was shit.

to add to the threadThe Godfather Part 2

HoodWinked

Gold Member
Assassin's Creed 2
Mass Effect 2

personally though i liked the original games more for both franchises because they were so inventive and novel at their release, and i recognize objectively the sequels are superior products.

The Snake

People that say Batman Returns haven't watched them since they were kids, man. I like Returns but as a film it's kind of a mess.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Batman Returns i like. you have Danny Devito as the ultimate monster Penguin. perfect casting. then Michelle Pfiefer in proto-Matrix fetish leather catsuit, with authentic Tim Burton goth stitching. her origin sequence is one of the coolest things ever in a comic film. add on top of that Christopher Walken as her Trump-style cackling evil CEO boss and that is a hell of a lot of stuff stacked up to enjoy. Danny Elfman, the perfect composer for this subject matter and director, with Tim Burton conjuring future Hot Topic, steam punk, and gothic lolita aesthetics right before your very eyes. the subject matter is less family friendly than the first, it's the rare kind of risk taking big budget blockbuster.

don't get me wrong, the first film is an insanely good classic tho, no doubt about it. the second is unique in it's own weird way. IMO it is more of a classic Tim Burton monster movie, a la Edward Scissorhands, than anything.

Last edited:
The Matrix Reloaded. More spectacle, more too-serious-for-its-own-good outfits, more spectacle, more fights, more weapons in fights, and a completely headscratching ending that fit perfectly with the first one. Did I mention more spectacle?

Doom85

Aliens
Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame
Blade Runner 2049
Captain America: The Winter Soldier/Civil War
The Dark Knight
Dawn of the Dead
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes/War (Rise being the "original" in terms of the new continuity. None of the OG sequels surpass the original first film)
Deadpool 2
Empire Strikes Back (and maybe a few more, but I'm not in the mood to argue about it)
Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness
Godzilla 2014 and KOTM (in terms of the American films, both own the 98 garbage)
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Kung Fu Panda 2
Lord of the Rings: ROTK
Mission Impossible 4-6
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
The Rescuers Down Under
The Road Warrior
Silence of the Lambs (debatable, as it doesn't necessarily share continuity with Manhunter especially since Hannibal is played by a different actor)
Every Star Trek movie that isn't 5 and 9
Spider-man 2, Amazing 1, Spider-verse
Terminator 2
Toy Story 2-4
Tron Legacy
X-men 2, First Class, The Wolverine, Days of Future Past, Logan

So to sum it all up......I really need to get around to watching the Godfather movies.

Top Bottom