• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name PS2 games that look good on HDTV!

Belfast

My dad might finally be getting one and obviously it would be a mistake of mine if I didn't take advantage of the opportunity!

I don't have my GC with me at home over the summer, nor do I have an Xbox, even though I know both platforms have options for high-res gaming.

So, which PS2 games perform well on an HDTV?

XS+

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
anything 2d looks good on an HD tv. hell i'm amazed when i hook my genesis up to my HD set.
The general concensus is low-res 2d looks like ass on a HDTV (and I agree).

Other than the low animation frames, Guilty Gear looks incredible in progressive.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
There are distinct image quality tiers for PS2 games on HDTV.

At the top, you have games with official progressive scan support.
Next best are games with a full-height back buffer, which is most of the games that don't have official progressive scan support.
Below that, you have field-rendered games.
And finally, at the bottom of the barrel, you have the ultra-low-res, PSone-level nastiness that is ICO.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Belfast, take a look at this thread - a guy there is singing praises for some kind od de-interlacer (Faroudja) that apparently does a great job with PS2 and games that don't natively support progressive scan. He actually prefers that output to that of games that natively support 480p on both PS2 and Xbox!

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13376&sid=4b47c62ac4f5adc6bf4d57edb17c6224

And finally, at the bottom of the barrel, you have the ultra-low-res, PSone-level nastiness that is ICO.
Ironically, that game looks infinitely better on a regular TV than it does on the HDTV...

Btw, weren't you the one saying that it runs at 320x240 resolution? I was saying it doesn't, and that it must run at something like 640x240. Later on I've found an article that measured it to be something of that kind, by making video grabs.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The ICO "problem" is that it runs in low-resolution (actually, it runs in field rendered mode, but only updates at 30 fps and doesn't attempt to emulate 640x448). On an HDTV, it is quite pixelated looking (similar to running a low-res game on a PC monitor). For me, it looks both better yet worse on my HD set. When running low-res images on my older Toshiba 20" set, you would notice an excess of moire on the left and right sides. Due to the color scheme employed by ICO, it was quite present and damaged the image quality. On my HD set, however, the image quality is perfect...just pixelated. I think I actually prefer that...

It doesn't run at 320x***, though. Like I said, it uses field rendering. In a game like Ridge Racer V, it updates either odd or even scan lines each second. By moving back and forth quickly, it creates the impression of a high-res image. In FR games, pauses from loading often cause the image to look quite blocky for a split second. ICO's image quality is the same as that effect you see when pausing. It is not drawing odd AND even scanlines in the same fashion and you are simply seeing a 30 fps image that actually LOOKS like 640x224 rather than 448.

PS2 games, in general, do not look that good on HD. Certainly not bad (MUCH better than running something like this on a PC monitor), but not great. I've actually managed to make most of them look pretty darn nice, but it could be better.

SSX3 looks REALLY good, though. The colors used for the game combined with the sharp prog-scan output looks very sweet. Soul Calibur 2 PS2 also has (IMO) the best output of the three versions in 480p. Jak II actually doesn't look that hot in 480p as it is oddly low-res looking (even worse in 480i, obviously). It is perhaps the blockiest 480p game I have seen.

When talking about prog-scan games, I think GC actually has the best output of the three. The image quality is absolutely incredible on some games.

davis

Some hdtv's aren't that good at converting a 480i signal the newer better ones are. That was a big factor for me before I got an HDTV. MGS2,GT3 which are non progressive look great on my TV so do the progressive games like RC:GC, Socom1/2, Rise to honor. I say GT3 and MGS2 look better on my hdtv than my smaller non hdtv wega that I use to play on component which was no slouch for a non hdtv. My current tv is a 34 sony hdtv, once you start going over 40 inch your results are likly to get worse . Didn't get to test ICO now that has me interested just to see.

I agree about the GC looking best on proscan with 480p games specifically Metroid Prime some of them are just seem sharper even than xbox games running 480p. Halo looks fantastic on my tv though. The problem with GC is not that many games that aren't nintendo support progressive.

davis

Most of the HD game lists I have seen leave a couple out or a few are wrong this one included:

http://hdgames.net/

But just read the user comments they are mostly right and the person running it eventually updates it.

Top Bottom