• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name something nostalgic you miss in the gaming industry..

I'm nostalgic for lots of things but the paper slips for games from Toys R US immediately came to mind for some reason. It always sucked when you were ready to get a game, but no more slips, lol.

toysrustags.jpg

Dontero

Banned
Neogaf from 2006ish era. It is all super serious now. Almost no fanboys and if people troll they do it like me just to stir shit up for fun. The PS3 announcement thread was fucking mental ride of fun.

Or more general: Lack of forum mods.

Last edited:
Reactions: RSB

Life

Just the excitement. At best you would see 2 or 3 screenshots of an upcoming game on a magazine. No trailers, analysis videos, spoilers, theories etc. Now, prior to the release of a game, so much is shoved down our throats, sacrificing a lot the mystery/excitement surrounding the game.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Contrary to poster above, I do like the more open and inclusive direction the industry is heading, though I would agree sometimes it's too gratuitous. What I miss most is probably what many people have already posted, the big ol' game manuals, maps and other goodies that came in game boxes. Nowadays the only way to get that is to buy pricey collector editions.

Loke

Just the excitement. At best you would see 2 or 3 screenshots of an upcoming game on a magazine. No trailers, analysis videos, spoilers, theories etc. Now, prior to the release of a game, so much is shoved down our throats, sacrificing a lot the mystery/excitement surrounding the game.

Indeed.

u6sje2yyixr01.jpg

teezzy

Banned
My gaming time heavily gravitates towards my PS2, Xbox 360, and PSP these days moreso than my XB1 or PC . It genuinely feels like a breath of fresh air! Even if a game is harder to find secondhand, and costs like $60 on Ebay - I just pretend like I'm in 2005, or something, and I'm buying it new.

I recommend everyone finds themselves a CRT (preferably one with component inputs), hooks up their old favorite console, and gives it a go. A lot of these experiences haven't disappeared, they're just forgotten.

GreyHorace

Also, I miss gaming when we didn't have to deal with social media. I'm not going dismiss gamers as innocent, as some of them can be absolute dicks online. But a few bad apples should not paint gamers as misogynistic assholes as a whole.

What's infuriating and disheartening is the absolute disdain some game developers and game 'journalists' have for the gaming audience and are willing to share it on their social media. What the hell happened to having some respect for your paying customers? Someone already mentioned gaming magazines earlier, and already I miss those days when the only info we got from game devs and 'jorunalists' where from those printed outlets and not on their social media where we can see them act like absolute cunts at times.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
From a nostalgic point of view I think it hurt the gaming industry elimanting places like GameRush (Blockbuster), GameCrazy (Hollywood Video) etc. to me real competition is great, not going after GameStop... :messenger_smirking:

Reactions: Isa

Mendou

Banned
Things I miss:
  1. Games releasing in a finished state.
  2. No pay-to-win mechanics.
  3. Expansive and large DLCs.
  4. Very few SJW/Pozzed games from Western developers.
  5. No forced installs/updates for every game.
  6. More platforming games like Crash Bandicoot instead of third-person and first-person shooters.

Yup. What I started to do about 3-4 years ago is once I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a game I do my best to ignore coverage of it. There was a time where it seemed like every game I would buy I would know way too much about it.

Vote to kick in online games, private servers and a better community spirit.

The first online game I played was CS:S, Office 24/7 server. Any camper, griefer or general cunt who came in to the server was kicked and removed. Not in an ERA way, but in a way as to protect what mattered, playing the game. It didn't matter who won, who lost, who was terrorist, all that mattered was having a good laugh, some good kills and funny shit happening.

Gears 1 was similar.

Since then, online gaming is full of cheaters, griefers, cocky cunts, spoiled kids, rap music, just a generally unpleasant time. It's not about the love of playing, it's doing anything necessary to cheese a win.

TL;DR there is no victory without honour. There is no honour in gaming. Fucking sucks.

Game manuals.
92dd9a8f3cc0df0b96e15233fa3bb90d.jpg
I gotta ask, have you owned/played any of the 90s PC games? The big boxes and manuals they came with would blow your socks off if these are what get you going.

Got this from a web search, not my photo:
1gUHvv0.png

Edit: Corrected autocorrect.

Last edited:
No, I have been consoles gamer all my life, I just remembers my older brother used to play RTS games when I was very young.
Hah, ask him about the glory days of reading stories and checking out concept art in the manuals back then. Blizzard was particularly good about these with their manuals for Diablo and Starcraft.

Developers releasing complete games.

Early 3D graphics with simple shaders (Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube).

Pre-rendered backgrounds.

Classic survival horror on the PS1 and PS2.

teezzy

Banned
Hah, ask him about the glory days of reading stories and checking out concept art in the manuals back then. Blizzard was particularly good about these with their manuals for Diablo and Starcraft.

To this day, I'm still half-tempted to repurchase big box copies of the Diablo Battle Chest and American McGee's Alice.

They were crucial in my introduction to PC gaming growing up, right around the time I was obsessed with Slipknot, Rob Zombie, and especially KoRn, It's so much easier and cost effectice just to download the games these days, but that packaging felt so brooding and evil at the time :messenger_tears_of_joy: I miss my teenage angst

diablobattlechest.jpg

American-McGees-Alice-PC-CD-ROM-Big-Box-Original.jpg

Droxcy

Beta disks back in PS2 days knowing you and only couple thousand were playing at a time very nostalgic around Socom 2 & 3

To this day, I'm still half-tempted to repurchase big box copies of the Diablo Battle Chest and American McGee's Alice.

They were crucial in my introduction to PC gaming growing up, right around the time I was obsessed with Slipknot, Rob Zombie, and especially KoRn, It's so much easier and cost effectice just to download the games these days, but that packaging felt so brooding and evil at the time :messenger_tears_of_joy: I miss my teenage angst

diablobattlechest.jpg

American-McGees-Alice-PC-CD-ROM-Big-Box-Original.jpg
I did purchase the Diablo Battlechest long ago but I don't think it fully captured the joyous excess of the 90s boxes and manuals. Was still appreciated though because it was released in a time when the big boxes were already being phased out.

I only really listened to some Slipknot out of the three you mentioned. I hold their debut and Vol III in high regards, Iowa never really clicked with me with the exception of The Heretic Anthem.

I'm mostly a digital person nowadays, but I'll always miss the excitement of checking out the boxes at the stores, opening them carefully to not crease that one flap, flipping through the manuals and just you know, obsessing through every physical part before even installing the damn game haha!

Oh and those boxes with embossed features were a very nice touch, as shown in that American McGee's Alice photo.

Danjin44 Danjin44

I just remembered that even in the early 2000s Falcom still released some big boxes for their PC games. The video I found and linked is of the Premium OST version. There's a vanilla boxed version as well.

TacosNSalsa

Special character intros in fighting games (just SNK and Capcom really)

JstzDDL.gif

oIq0upi.gif

0JSZkbr.gif

While I think fighting games are still great , I feel like they've lost a lot of the heart and charm they had back in the day

Jtibh

Banned
Game magazines with demo discs

Game walkthrough magazines

Cheat codes

No updates. I havent played a single minute of divison 2 as every time it wants to update i need to delete something. Next day it wants to update again so i have to delete something again as i have no space left.
Finally i gave up and deleted the game.

Local coop.

Video game shows on tv

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Renting games. In the late 80s and 90s our area had many independent video stores that rented games and movies. Then all the Rogers and Blockbusters took over.

I remember renting stuff for $2/night. Or $10/wk. Then it increased.

Randomly going to a store with my brothers to check out movies and games was great. Back then you didn't really know every movie or game coming out too so it made it like a treasure hunt. Even if you read every game mag or movie release schedule, it never had everything.

Sometimes you knew what to get and prayed there were copies left. And if there weren't, you'd check under the covers of nearby cases thinking someone hid one or the clerk made a mistake. Or in desperation you'd ask the clerk to go through the video return bin and hope there's a copy there!

botrfdhmtzh41.jpg

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
I miss having consoles that aren't just black boxes...even the Switch is just a black box with different controller colors. Every single fucking time that they might release a different color now, it becomes a limited edition affair, where if you didn't preorder, you're shit out of luck.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Game reviews written by nerds/geeks who actually love videogames.
Ya. And game mags not afraid to give games shit reviews and scores.

Now 99% of games are in that 6-10 scale so they can keep the freebies and banner ad revenue coming. Or else they'll get Jeff Gertsmanned and fired for giving a shit game like Kane & Lynch an accordingly shit review.

Free shit, early access to info and Gold copies and internet revenue fucked up the honesty in this industry.

No doubt, I'm sure it happened back then too.... magazines need ad money, but somehow there's was a happy medium which worked. Now, it's so skewed.

You don't get this in the movie industry where all these critics do their reviews and Rotten Tomatoes compile it. No movie studio seems to care 50 movie critics gave a movie a thumbs down leading to an 8% review score. I've never heard of any blacklisted movie critics.

Yet in gaming it's in full throttle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom