• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name something nostalgic you miss in the gaming industry..

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Game manuals :( use to love opening up my ganes and looking at sometimes cool are on the manuals.

Also all the money I spent on egm and game fan magazines. Bro every month I couldn't wait to hear about the new games, tech and reviews. I have dozens of magazines here I still go through and laugh. SF2 was do fucking huge it was amazingggg
I remember when I was even in Junior High and High school friends would brings manuals to games they bought just to read through it because they got the game at midnight and parents would tell them they had to sleep. A big one was Halo 2 when I was in highschool

Lucumo

Thanks for the details. I'm a little surprised that MMOs had a grip on Japan too considering they're supposedly not that huge on PC gaming?

Haven't heard ot Travian but I think I have a rough idea of which browser games you mean. I remember seeing some of them with lots of number crunching going on.

Mobile gaming has seemingly crystallised into its own thing, not even Nintendo could shift its direction with Super Mario Run by the looks of it.

I wonder if the browser games not making the transition was in part due to not knowing how to monetize it? (I'm not familiar enough with the browser and mobages so I'm just spitballing).

Oh yea I know the game you mentioned isn't in there, I just thought it had a nice bunch of those CE boxes on display.

That red box screams vermillion hah.

BTW since your collection is so extensive, I wanna ask if you have the big box version of Ys Origin's JP PC release? I seem to remember having seen it before, being a similar size to the Felghana vanilla box but searching the web previously hasn't really shown me what I think I remembered.
When PC gaming slowly died down worldwide (or consolidated, if you will) due to rising development costs as well as issues with developers not being able to secure sales without proper publishers, Japan was, of course, not unaffected. They had tons of PC games in the 80s and 90s but it slowed down late 90s and really dropped early 00s. Add to that the Japanese rating board coming into place late 90s which was a large issue for their eroge section and which pushed developers towards doujin works. On the other side, consoles were cheaper to develop for and had a larger, unified audience. The PS2 being beastly as it was really drew Japanese developers away (not to mention not nearly as large since space is an issue in Japan). (It used to be the other way around, Japanese arcade games for instance (Street Fighter II, Castlevania) used to be ported on the PC even.) So anyway, after the sharp decline early 00s, only eroge (including the doujin section) remained really strong and the developing MMO section, as they were always basically a PC-only thing if you wanted to play properly. There were also some small, normal doujin works and then of course Falcom for instance who remained on the PC until 2008 when they also abandoned it. But yeah, in terms of MMOs in the East, it was South Korea > China > Japan > SEA countries. They got a lot of MMOs that basically stayed there/in Asia.

Yeah, there were tons of them and there should also be a lot still around if you look for them. Had some fun times in Travian with coordinating attacks and basically having 0 seconds margin.

Personally, I hate mobile gaming. I tried it with Puzzle & Dragons but I hate touch controls as well as smartphones. Their monetization methods are also mostly terrible.

Could have just stayed with the way they did it in browser but I think back in the day, not many people were around that knew how to port all those things onto mobile. Heck, even large companies like Facebook failed to get onto mobile properly until years later.

Of course I do :p IIRC, the game box was smaller than the Oath of Felghana one and basically like the second and third game of the Trails in the Sky trilogy. I think they switched to slightly smaller boxes with the second game in that trilogy because I somewhat remember Xanadu Next still being large (or it was just super heavy, so I remember it being larger). Some interesting tidbit regarding Ys Origin: The Vista version actually released just around three months later and added some extra stuff. Due to the original limited edition not selling out in that timeframe, they put the benefits in the Vista version too.

Dane

Budget re releases

1106582.jpg

51BN1X%2BlAkL._AC_.jpg

53123_front.jpg

PS4 still have it as Playtstation Hits, Xbox One had an one off with Greatest Hits (yes) which just have a circle sticker on the game plastic seal.

Last edited:
When PC gaming slowly died down worldwide (or consolidated, if you will) due to rising development costs as well as issues with developers not being able to secure sales without proper publishers, Japan was, of course, not unaffected. They had tons of PC games in the 80s and 90s but it slowed down late 90s and really dropped early 00s. Add to that the Japanese rating board coming into place late 90s which was a large issue for their eroge section and which pushed developers towards doujin works. On the other side, consoles were cheaper to develop for and had a larger, unified audience. The PS2 being beastly as it was really drew Japanese developers away (not to mention not nearly as large since space is an issue in Japan). (It used to be the other way around, Japanese arcade games for instance (Street Fighter II, Castlevania) used to be ported on the PC even.) So anyway, after the sharp decline early 00s, only eroge (including the doujin section) remained really strong and the developing MMO section, as they were always basically a PC-only thing if you wanted to play properly. There were also some small, normal doujin works and then of course Falcom for instance who remained on the PC until 2008 when they also abandoned it. But yeah, in terms of MMOs in the East, it was South Korea > China > Japan > SEA countries. They got a lot of MMOs that basically stayed there/in Asia.

Yeah, there were tons of them and there should also be a lot still around if you look for them. Had some fun times in Travian with coordinating attacks and basically having 0 seconds margin.

Personally, I hate mobile gaming. I tried it with Puzzle & Dragons but I hate touch controls as well as smartphones. Their monetization methods are also mostly terrible.

Could have just stayed with the way they did it in browser but I think back in the day, not many people were around that knew how to port all those things onto mobile. Heck, even large companies like Facebook failed to get onto mobile properly until years later.

Of course I do :p IIRC, the game box was smaller than the Oath of Felghana one and basically like the second and third game of the Trails in the Sky trilogy. I think they switched to slightly smaller boxes with the second game in that trilogy because I somewhat remember Xanadu Next still being large (or it was just super heavy, so I remember it being larger). Some interesting tidbit regarding Ys Origin: The Vista version actually released just around three months later and added some extra stuff. Due to the original limited edition not selling out in that timeframe, they put the benefits in the Vista version too.
Damn, thanks a lot for the many tidbits of gaming history.

I vaguely remember that Falcom developed for PC for quite some time until they finally had to fully jump ship to consoles. I think it was in an interview with Kondo that I read.

Didn't really know about Castlevania getting a PC port at the time though I definitely remember seeing the SSFIIT ports (not sure if you're referring purely to the original SFII) and also X-Men COTA (that was one hell of a port to see on PC at the time!).

I remember shying away from those browser games because I was never a fan of seeing that many boxes with numbers on a screen haha. I was, and still am very into action games, though recent years have seen me diving into the shooter genre more as well.

I have my own bias against mobage as well, though I'm also aware that there are some really smart and unique concepts that have come about with the input being touchscreen by default. I think the way mobage economy has crystallised has definitely affected how games are designed for it as well, which is unfortunate.

Maybe someday there'll be a documentary exploring why some things never made it to mobile or other similar questions...

I'm not surprised you have it. On a side note, it's my favourite of the three games using the Napishtim engine (or whatever its actual name is).

I'll have to look for images of the TiTS boxes to have an idea. I only own a vanilla box of Felghana cause at the time I had no idea what Origin was like and its box was a bit dented in one corner...

Oh so you mean the LE goodies in the original versions we're also added into the boxes housing the Vista version?

Edit: Corrected typo.

Last edited:

Genx3

Games that were simple and fun.
Now a days a lot of games want to have some type of RPG elements.
Let the RPG's be RPG's and stop trying to make everything else one.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Swapping between 2-12 floppy disks and endure endless disc read sounds just to play a game.

I have to apply these sounds in emulator settings and cut floppy drives and disks out of cardboard to get the same effect.
Weirdly I actually do like hearing the sound of the disk drive - definitely hits me right in the nostalgia bone.

Nothing. I don't have enough time to play all the games I would like to. And they say now is a golden age for indies. Kid me would be jealous beyond belief at the quantity and quality of it all. Of course there are bad games still, but there always have been. All you need nowadays is Xbox Game Pass and a HumbleBundle subscription and you're golden. And that's only scratching the surface. Xbox are going to dominate next gen, and PCs are going to catch up with the Series X by the end, so the next ten years are looking to be solid.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I actually turn the drive sound on when using the WinUAE (Amiga) emulator. I like the sound and it helps me identify if a game is loading or if it's just crashed! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I've been playing a lot of Atari ST games lately and honestly I fucking love those old 16-bit classics so much. Some of it is nostalgia obviously but some of it is just the pure joy of gaming, distilled into 700 kb of perfection, unadulterated by marketing bullshit and focus groups, created by people who love games.

It feeling more like an "underground culture".

In the UK in particular the main gaming info came from magazines in the 90s/early 00s. Magazines and press felt much more casual like a bunch of friends hanging around and writing these stories with in-jokes and crude humour and so on, while interviews, videos, and demo discs were always full of quick cuts and interspersed with weird futuristic techno/rave music. I don't dislike the industry as it is now, but it feels like there's more of a focus on professionalism and creative writing rather than the cheesy "cool" stuff.

Just take this cool cheese fest for instance:

Love it.

I've been playing a lot of Atari ST games lately and honestly I fucking love those old 16-bit classics so much. Some of it is nostalgia obviously but some of it is just the pure joy of gaming, distilled into 700 kb of perfection, unadulterated by marketing bullshit and focus groups, created by people who love games.

Yeah. The focus on cinematic experiences over gameplay does irritate me. Though with smaller indie titles rising up to the forefront over the last decade that has changed a lot.
There were examples of it back in those days too, but it seemed much fresher and new at the time. Spending £40+ to watch some cutscenes is not what i want in a game today.

Appleprosy

I miss watching X-Play with Adam... no, Morgan Webb.

Dad would walk in drunk and be like, "That game looks gotdamn fuckin' badass, Son."

I would nod as he pointed out Morgan's chesticles.

He'd look me dead in the eyes and say that Adam was... it was terrible what he would say. I didn't agree, but still found Adam annoying.

I'd then tell him, "You already own Hydro Thunder on PS1. And yes, Father; you are right: Morgan is beautiful."

I wouldn't mention Adam around him because he'd get those judgemental eyes.

Damn, I miss X-Play and when Father thought he was a gamer.

Jerm411

For me the mystique of games is something that we'll never see again.

Back in the day (pre 2000ish) there was this sense of discovery in practically every game you would play because at the very most you had seen screenshots and read about it in a games mag. Sometimes you would have a friend that would talk about a game they had and you would try to reconstruct what the game was from their description. It was great.

To add to that there was this whole thing where people would spread rumors about secrets in certain games. Some would end up being true, but most were bullshit.

No one outside the industry really understood games development either. Most companies were pretty secretive and that would create an atmosphere for rumors to grow into crazy shit.

There also were a lot of relevant fan sites with super passionate staff. A few still kick around today but they mostly were all dead by 2005

Came here to post pretty much the same thing....I miss the "playground conversations" with friends about discovering things in games, not being bombarded with 3,547 pre release previews and videos, and having everything about whatever game being spoiled and found out and spread quickly after launch.

One of the coolest and most rewarding things as a kid was going into a video store and renting a game solely based on word of mouth or from what you could derive from the box art...it could be hit or miss but at least you were critically thinking and discovering for yourself.

I have nostalgia for a lot more simpler time and things and games are no different...

Jerm411

Oh and I'd like to add another....midnight/console midnight or even launches, what ever you want to call them.

Had some of my best times at these and now with the rise of Amazon and decline of places like GameStop you rarely see them any more.

edbrat

Characterful CEOs like Iwata and Kutaragi. I would love to have seen where Iwata would have taken Nintendo if he had more time.

Cool indie games stores.

Lucumo

Damn, thanks a lot for the many tidbits of gaming history.

I vaguely remember that Falcom developed for PC for quite some time until they finally had to fully jump ship to consoles. I think it was in an interview with Kondo that I read.

Didn't really know about Castlevania getting a PC port at the time though I definitely remember seeing the SSFIIT ports (not sure if you're referring purely to the original SFII) and also X-Men COTA (that was one hell of a port to see on PC at the time!).

I remember shying away from those browser games because I was never a fan of sering that many boxes with numbers on a screen haha. I was, and still am very into action games, though recent years have seen me diving into the shooter genre more as well.

I have my own bias against mobage as well, though I'm also aware that there are some really smart and unique concepts that have come about with the input being touchscreen by default. I think the way mobage economy has crystallised has definitely affected how games are designed for it as well, which is unfortunate.

Maybe someday there'll be a documentary exploring why some things never made it to mobile or other similar questions...

I'm not surprised you have it. On a side note, it's my favourite of the three games using the Napishtim engine (or whatever its actual name is).

I'll have to look for images of the TiTS boxes to have an idea. I only own a vanilla box of Felghana cause at the time I had no idea what Origin was like and its box was a bit dented in one corner...

Oh so you mean the LE goodies in the original versions we're also added into the boxes housing the Vista version?
No problem. It is a pretty interesting subject after all.
Well, "quite some time"...basically 25 years unless you are talking about staying with the slowly sinking ship that were "normal" PC games in Japan.
Yeah, it's not really known, especially in the West...even with the relative interest towards games from Japan. Pretty sure I remember Super Street Figher II' (Dash) and it's likely there were more games of the series. Not really interested in playing them myself (Melty Blood aside), so I never explicitely looked into it.

Apart from casual, probably music/rhythm and quiz games, I play (or used to play) everything.
Nah, too gimicky in general and there is always a lack of depth in comparison to PC games. It's an not an uninteresting topic but it will likely stay as a blogpost or maybe a podcast episode. A documentary would go too much in-depth for something general like that. There are likely things like those around but they are usually about a certain product or company.

Urgh, damage is the absolute worst. I haven't even checked all my games that are in the boxes, whether they took any damage from moving here or not. I always take care of what I own, so usually everything is in excellent condition.
Yep, exactly.

Getting the entire game at point of purchase. No patches, no updates. You got what you got. I feel games were scrutinized more in testing and you got a more refined product. And discovering/exploiting glitches was good fun.

SegaShack

I miss game systems being different from one another vs now they just feel like PCs. What cool feature do people get with PS5 and XBX, more graphics? Things are so boring now.

Nintendo used to try to change things up by using motion controls, gyroscopes, microphones, touch screens, GBA-GC multiplayer games, etc. Regardless of if they were succesful with these or not at least they were unique.

Kinect for XB1 was supposed to be awesome until the company ditched it. It was supposed to be able to know your controller preferences by looking at you (inverting controls, sensitivity, etc). The rumble triggers were awesome and those also got ditched. I wish they went all in instead of removing Kinect support for slightly better graphics.

Multiplayer games with actual matchmaking options like map voting/vetoing. Such a missed feature for me in a lot of modern titles.

Last edited:
Arcades!

I mean, you still find some cabinet here and there, but you can't just go to the local pub or bowling alley and have 3 or 4 cabinets there. And even when you find one it's just some subpar on-rails shooter, not Time Crisis or House of the Dead, and Neo-Geo and Capcom's CPS games are almost impossible to find in the wild.

This is really hard...

Novelty. Ground Control was a total mind fuck. Half Life has incredible controls and gunplay. MGS2 was a revelation. Halo CE was from the future. Red Faction's destructible environments were mind blowing. Operation Flashpoint was so real...

The bar was constantly being raised... Today it seems like all the genres are clearly defined.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't know how many companies did this in the 90s, but EA Sports on PC used to have buy 2 get 1 free. It was some mail in rebate thing. My bros and I did it. I think this was around the 96-97 years.

Last edited:

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
FMVs with the terrible acting. I loved that and hate that games are trying to win Oscars now.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
FMVs with the terrible acting. I loved that and hate that games are trying to win Oscars now.

Gets repetitive and the AI opponent is dumb, but for quick thrills everyone should find a copy of Jone in the Fast Lane. Probably came out around 1992 as a comedy board game.

No problem. It is a pretty interesting subject after all.
Well, "quite some time"...basically 25 years unless you are talking about staying with the slowly sinking ship that were "normal" PC games in Japan.
Yeah, it's not really known, especially in the West...even with the relative interest towards games from Japan. Pretty sure I remember Super Street Figher II' (Dash) and it's likely there were more games of the series. Not really interested in playing them myself (Melty Blood aside), so I never explicitely looked into it.

Apart from casual, probably music/rhythm and quiz games, I play (or used to play) everything.
Nah, too gimicky in general and there is always a lack of depth in comparison to PC games. It's an not an uninteresting topic but it will likely stay as a blogpost or maybe a podcast episode. A documentary would go too much in-depth for something general like that. There are likely things like those around but they are usually about a certain product or company.

Urgh, damage is the absolute worst. I haven't even checked all my games that are in the boxes, whether they took any damage from moving here or not. I always take care of what I own, so usually everything is in excellent condition.
Yep, exactly.
Hah, it's certainly interesting for you, I doubt anyone uninterested in the subject would know and remember as much as you do about it!

I didn't look into how many years Falcom has developed on PC for, so my words definitely undersold the period; thanks for specifying that it's a quarter of a century (phew).

Some time last week I came across this quote from Yoshinori Ono in this interview (https://www.usgamer.net/articles/yoshinori-ono-street-fighter-5-champion-edition-interview):
Now, back to the original question. I continue because of my love for both Capcom and the Street Fighter series and I was extremely lucky that my first project was to work on the PC version of Super Street Fighter II.

(I didn't know he was involved until this interview myself)

I tried to have a taste of all sorts of games but ultimately still gravitated towards more action, real-time stuff. At this point in time I think there are simply too many genres (I never even managed to find the discipline to experience Interactive Fiction properly) so I just resigned myself to playing what I enjoy at the time. Even within a genre there are so many variants to be tried, it can feel daunting at times to me.

It's interesting to think back on what the possibilities for mobage could have been and to see what they currently are. Then again, I think the same could be said about console/PC gaming. If we were to extrapolate from the notable PC games of the 90s, what we see now doesn't feel very evolutionary from a gameplay perspective, certainly not in the same manner as graphical improvements.

For your sake, I hope all your physical games are in pristine condition, I know what it's like to want to keep them as perfect as the naked eye can see 😁

Lucumo

Hah, it's certainly interesting for you, I doubt anyone uninterested in the subject would know and remember as much as you do about it!

I didn't look into how many years Falcom has developed on PC for, so my words definitely undersold the period; thanks for specifying that it's a quarter of a century (phew).

Some time last week I came across this quote from Yoshinori Ono in this interview (https://www.usgamer.net/articles/yoshinori-ono-street-fighter-5-champion-edition-interview):

(I didn't know he was involved until this interview myself)

I tried to have a taste of all sorts of games but ultimately still gravitated towards more action, real-time stuff. At this point in time I think there are simply too many genres (I never even managed to find the discipline to experience Interactive Fiction properly) so I just resigned myself to playing what I enjoy at the time. Even within a genre there are so many variants to be tried, it can feel daunting at times to me.

It's interesting to think back on what the possibilities for mobage could have been and to see what they currently are. Then again, I think the same could be said about console/PC gaming. If we were to extrapolate from the notable PC games of the 90s, what we see now doesn't feel very evolutionary from a gameplay perspective, certainly not in the same manner as graphical improvements.

For your sake, I hope all your physical games are in pristine condition, I know what it's like to want to keep them as perfect as the naked eye can see 😁
I have good memory in general. So that, in addition to an interesting subject, really helps.

Falcom was THE PC developer in Japan after all. Their importance really shouldn't be understated.

Neither did I. But I'm also not someone that really cares about specific names in anything, whether that's games, books, music or whatever. I may really like a song but don't know the names of anyone in the band for example :p It's generally unlikely that the quality of a company, band etc stays at the same level of excellency and I prefer to judge a product on its own merits, rather than outside influences.

Really? I think that gaming actually hasn't changed in a very long time. For me, it's always the "been there, done that. Sure, someone may mix two genres but in the end, I have played both parts already. Something like the Wii didn't change anything, neither did VR as they changed nothing in the games themselves. All gimmicks...and even before that, we had something like EyeToy on the Playstation 2. Well, peak gaming was just 80s and 90s with lots of new genres emerging and experimentation going on.

And you basically say the same thing here. So if you have played the major genres, the sub-genres aren't much different. For instance, Slay the Spire and Faster Than Light are really similar. Both take elements from the roguelike genre but then combine it with the game/strategy genre. The roguelike part is the basis, so if you have played any of those, what's on top doesn't really matter as it doesn't change the gaming experience. Of course, even there have been little tweaks like in Dead Cells or Rogue Legacy but those are extremely insubstantial. That's why I personally look for more outliers or interesting ideas/concepts and those can mostly be found in the 90s when game development was still relatively cheap and genres weren't properly defined. Of course, in a world where "everything" has already been done gameplay-wise, other factors like story, music, character etc become more important.

The way I packaged them, there shouldn't be any crushing/warping in the game boxes at least...but one never knows.

The Stealth genre. Theif, splinter cell, mgs.

Non mmo space Sims. Ala freelancer, elite, xwing, wing commander. Yeah we got no man's sky but it's not the same. And elite dangerous is mmo while star citizen is mmo and vaporware as far as I'm concerned.

Games journalists and devs not pushing politics and just making great games... I miss that too.

Last edited:
I miss monthly demo discs and magazines as my main form of information for games. What I've learned however since I've been collecting as an adult is how much that I missed out on and how many demo discs consistently had the same titles. I missed out on so many games because of it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What do I miss? Games being released. Since September of last year I played The Outer Worlds, Borderlands 3 and Doom Eternal.

- Games that didnt cost like $100 a pop
- Buying a game and actually getting the whole game without all this DLC/microtransaction nonsense
- Buying a game and getting a decent game instead of some hot garbage 'cinematic experience' like what happens 90% of the time these days
- Short development times (1/2 years max) with an actual good product at the end
- The industry wasnt being monopolized by greedy business men who are anti-consumer as fuck

If we just had approximately PS2.5 graphics and the graphic fidelity bs stopped there, gaming wouldnt be so fucked like it is these days.

/rant /opinion

Last edited:
Top Bottom