• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Live-Action Hollywood Confirmed, w/ Lionsgate and Michael Gracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Lionsgate exec: Damn it, we're out of YA franchises to adapt, and we like being a semi-major studio. What can we do?

Temp: Manga is kinda like YA...

Lionsgate exec: GET ME ONE NOW

Dali

I think the whole cast should be white. It would be kinda insulting to have asian people type cast as ninjas in a work created by a Japanese person staring people named Uchiha and Uzumaki.

I'll let Rain play Rock Lee, but other than that it would just be a slap in the face to Asian people.

frontovik

Banned
I can't think of an anime -> live action adaptation that is even tolerable or decent. The decision to feature Naruto and his gang of ninja weirdos is going to look incredibly bizarre.

Sou Da

This literally cannot be good, it doesn't matter how they choose to adapt it. The source material is just rotten shit.

Platy

What even is this?
Like a live-action Naruto movie would be magically better if it was made by a black, gay woman?
Why the hell even drop this in there except to be hateful and inflammatory?

I'm gay and I can't stand people picking my battles for me and being so damn sensitive and pandering.
What the fuck does race, sexuality or gender have to do with making a movie about magic wizard ninjas?

It is a critique that hollywood not just hardly hires minorities as directors but never even dream to give such a big franchise to a FIRST TIME DIRECTOR if that director is black or a woman. Hell, hollywood thinks twice about giving any franchise to women and black directors who made awesome movies... let alone someone who never did anything at all.

Dude is not even like the Deadpool director who directed some animations and cg stuff ... dude never directed anything and he got the biggest anime franchise outside of dragon ball for his first time directing anything ?

Yeah fuck this shit.

I doubt it will ever actually happen. Kinda hope it won't. I don't trust Hollywood to get Naruto right, and I'm not eager to see another Dragonball Evolution.

I hope the cast is full of Asians just so that some Gaffers here can realize that it won't magically make the film a good adaptation.

MartyStu

What even is this?
Like a live-action Naruto movie would be magically better if it was made by a black, gay woman?
Why the hell even drop this in there except to be hateful and inflammatory?

I'm gay and I can't stand people picking my battles for me and being so damn sensitive and pandering.
What the fuck does race, sexuality or gender have to do with making a movie about magic wizard ninjas?

He/She is not the only sensitive one...

jax

Banned
https://youtube.com/watch?v=G2l8nHND65o

tumblr_nki94ic8K11ta2n54o1_500.gif

Yeah this, along with death note and ghost in the shell are going to be absolute train wrecks.

Why the fuck are they making anime movies on weird ass anime instead of Cowboy Bebop?

Hate this idea. They better at least make all the characters Japanese and not the usual Hollywood bullshit of making everyone white.
np-20.png

np-21.png

But who am I kidding. Dragonball Evolution and The Last Airbender is a thing.

Alienous

This literally cannot be good, it doesn't matter how they choose to adapt it. The source material is just rotten shit.

I think it could work. Like I'm thinking Kingsman - teenaged ninjas competing with each other then working together against a big threat. I think it's viable, as the loosest of adaptions.

It could work. It totally won't though.

Dali

I hope the cast is full of Asians just so that some Gaffers here can realize that it won't magically make the film a good adaptation.
I've got poor vision but even i can see the point flying over your head as though it were moving in slow motion.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Lionsgate exec: Damn it, we're out of YA franchises to adapt, and we like being a semi-major studio. What can we do?

Temp: Manga is kinda like YA...

Lionsgate exec: GET ME ONE NOW

Exactly. This is just them desperately trying to find something that gets the YA audience back every 2 years.

They're going to try and make this for dirt cheap and hope that it turns into a thing.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

The source material is fine for how strictly it will probably be adhered to. They're going to make Harry Potter except Ron goes evil and more knives than wands.

The only hope for the movie is to be so over the top terrible that it's entertaining but the source material isn't necessarily the problem.

Hate this idea. They better at least make all the characters Japanese and not the usual Hollywood bullshit of making everyone white.
np-20.png

np-21.png

What is this from? I take it just a bunch of cosplayers got together? Because it looks damn good. Only one I don't care for is Sasuke, but mostly the person dressing up as him. Face is a bit too...old.

An adaptation of a medium that only produced ONE awesome movie (speed racer is awesome and I will fight anyone who disagrees) after numerous attempts to be directed by a first time (white hetero man) director with only special effects credentials ?

WHAT COULD GO WRONG ?

What in the flying fuck does that have to do with this?

Fj0823

Is this like a rite of passage for popular shonen in the west?

Will Naruto be a shy High School guy whos trying to impress Hinata?

Ridley327

The source material is fine for how strictly it will probably be adhered to. They're going to make Harry Potter except Ron goes evil and more knives than wands.

The only hope for the movie is to be so over the top terrible that it's entertaining but the source material isn't necessarily the problem.

Yeah, the story itself is nothing that really needs to get changed around. It's very much "Harry Potter with ninjas," which is something that's really easy to sell, even in the case where Naruto itself wasn't already one of the biggest manga/anime properties on the planet. Hell, it even followed a pretty similar arc to HP, from its start as a fairly whimsical fantasy property to winding up as a more gritty civil war among fellow practitioners alike.

nickgia

I cannot wait for 5 minute flashbacks interspersed with 7 minutes of new content which will continually cycle for an hour and 45 minute span.

Rue

I can't think of an anime -> live action adaptation that is even tolerable or decent. The decision to feature Naruto and his gang of ninja weirdos is going to look incredibly bizarre.

Rurouni Kenshin had three stellar movies with great success. The action choreography is phenomenal in it and the cast is spot on, while being a really adaptation! (although a few characters get a bit shafted)

Platy

What in the flying fuck does that have to do with this?

People have to fight to get a black dude directing black panther and a woman to direct wonder woman .... and they are famous proven directors.

It is ridiculously rare for minority directos get a famous franchise, let alone as a FIRST TIME JOB without being proven to be a good director. Only white dudes get this.

_Isaac

I first read the title as "Naruto Live!" like those live musicals they've been doing on NBC. That'd be something.

... "Believe it!"

Oh no. This wont go well at all.

Kakashi won't be given justice nor will they play to the pervy sensai :p spying on hot spas? Haha nope we dont need to see that.

Itll be worse than dragonball z!

What about guy sensai!? Rock lee. I dont see any live adaptation to represent them accurately.

The fights were too.amazing being drawn.
Man I loved this show.

This will be an unmitigated disaster. The only way this can work is if they focus on just the start with Kakashi's training and then the second and third acts are the Zabuza arc. Focus only on Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke, and Kakashi. But I know it'll still be terrible.

Oh, and the director made this commercial. At least he can do wacky acrobatics:

https://vimeo.com/153610733

np-20.png

np-21.png

But Naruto doesn't look Japanese and at no point did i ever think he was Asian..

Dali

I was thinking more like X-Men, but I guess Harry Potter works too. Both incolve schools for people with superpowers. Of course it's understood Takeshi Kitano will be part of the cast even if everyone else is white. Would he be the old hokage or Jiraiya? We all know Grimes is gonna make her film debut as Sakura. Either way and I can't wait to see the Rock as Bee, even though Bee's not black.

Hollywood: Friendship ended with Comic-heroes. Now Anime is my best friend.

Sasuske, Uchiha. Can´t wait for how they´re gonna pronounce all the names. And the running. And the signs. ayyy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom