• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA Curiosity Mars Photos

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Incredible stuff.

FwZvIsC.jpg

wL08ZZ6.png

89OBpbX.jpg

jL7WGl9.jpg

1scvnVJ.jpg

zgVaBAL.jpg

vMlAJkc.jpg

4yR2h5w.png

Source: NASA

The innovation in this one especially...

End bad Starfield joke gone wrong with mobile double post.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Looks so mundane, like a trip to the desert... yet you would die within seconds if you were to step out without a space suit.

Dr.D00p

Fantastic photos but it does illustrate the fact its a desolate wasteland and the only real reason to send people is , well, because its there.

Holy shit that's incredible!

It looks unreal. Looking at the photos I know it's real but at the same time it doesn't feel real? It's crazy to think that it's not earth and it's out there. Obviously I know Mars and other planets are real... I can't put my feelings into words lol.

When are we going to send someone there?

VN1X

Banned
Right. So familiar, yet so alien.

I wish I were alive to see Mars fully terraformed.
My dude we can barely get into Earth's higher orbit, let alone the Moon. Let alone build bases some place further.

No one will ever be alive to see that shit. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Objectively just as drab as some places on Earth before human civilization. But very fascinating, probably for the very same reason.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Not even in 1000 years will that happen. At best we may get a simple base/a place for tourism and thats it. We will never experience the pleasures of the 3 boobs woman on Mars.
A few (thousand) boosted asteroids and comets pointed at Mars might help things along. Also good excuse for me to post this video:

Fantastic photos but it does illustrate the fact its a desolate wasteland and the only real reason to send people is , well, because its there.

We actually need to send people and establish a colony there. It's about redundancy (or backup as another poster mentioned), because on Earth we're kinda one asteroid or calamity away from extinction.

Dr.D00p

We actually need to send people and establish a colony there. It's about redundancy (or backup as another poster mentioned), because on Earth we're kinda one asteroid or calamity away from extinction.

The lifespan of any Martian colony, without support from Earth, will be finite.

Virex

Banned
A few (thousand) boosted asteroids and comets pointed at Mars might help things along. Also good excuse for me to post this video:

VN1X

Banned
Speaking of which how many micro-meteorites hit the Earth daily and burn up? Do we know?

nkarafo

It blows my mind. This is a world that looks close to ours but we are not supposed to be able to see it so closely.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
If we were to find oil in Mars, the USA would colonize it in under a decade. :messenger_beaming:
Oil is not really needed, but other precious metals are. The problem is it's prohibitively expensive to bring something back from Mars, or even the moon (where there is an abundance).

EviLore EviLore you made my day with this thread. Would appreciate it if you kept adding pictures!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Is there a story with this image? It looks organic (fossilized, but organic)
"
March 01, 2022

Smaller than a penny, the flower-like rock artifact on the left was imaged by NASA’s Curiosity Mars rover using its Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) camera on the end of its robotic arm. The image was taken on Feb. 24, 2022, the 3,396th Martian day, or sol, of the mission. The “flower,” along with the spherical rock artifacts seen to the right, were made in the ancient past when minerals carried by water cemented the rock. Figure A shows a tighter view of the flower-like feature.

Curiosity has in the past discovered a diverse assortment of similar small features that formed when mineralizing fluids traveled through conduits in the rock. Images of such features are helping scientists understand more about the prolonged history of liquid water in Gale Crater.

Curiosity was built by NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California. Caltech in Pasadena, California, manages JPL for NASA. JPL manages Curiosity’s mission for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington. MAHLI was built by Malin Space Science Systems in San Diego.
"

m07EqWh.jpg

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
"
March 01, 2022

Smaller than a penny, the flower-like rock artifact on the left was imaged by NASA’s Curiosity Mars rover using its Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) camera on the end of its robotic arm. The image was taken on Feb. 24, 2022, the 3,396th Martian day, or sol, of the mission. The “flower,” along with the spherical rock artifacts seen to the right, were made in the ancient past when minerals carried by water cemented the rock. Figure A shows a tighter view of the flower-like feature.

Curiosity has in the past discovered a diverse assortment of similar small features that formed when mineralizing fluids traveled through conduits in the rock. Images of such features are helping scientists understand more about the prolonged history of liquid water in Gale Crater.

Curiosity was built by NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California. Caltech in Pasadena, California, manages JPL for NASA. JPL manages Curiosity’s mission for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington. MAHLI was built by Malin Space Science Systems in San Diego.
"

m07EqWh.jpg

Isn't petreficaion a plausible option?

Top Bottom