• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA Curiosity Mars Photos

midnightAI

Holy shit that's incredible!

It looks unreal. Looking at the photos I know it's real but at the same time it doesn't feel real? It's crazy to think that it's not earth and it's out there. Obviously I know Mars and other planets are real... I can't put my feelings into words lol.

When are we going to send someone there?
Surreal?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Incredible stuff.

FwZvIsC.jpg

wL08ZZ6.png

Source: NASA

Simply amazing. Sincerely.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Speaking of which how many micro-meteorites hit the Earth daily and burn up? Do we know?
NASA estimates around 44000kg of the stuff burns up in the atmosphere each day 👀

VN1X

Banned
NASA estimates around 44000kg of the stuff burns up in the atmosphere each day 👀

Crazy.

So how does that work on the Moon? I assume it is also susceptible to the same amount? But without an atmosphere they actually hit the ground?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I skimmed through that article but didn't see any mention of micro-meteorites? In any case how do Astronauts 'defend' against that? Big or small, at those kinds of speeds you'd be toast either way. Or did they simply take their chances?

That's because I'm a total knobhead and failed at basic comprehension. Yeah NASA says they have no concrete idea and the figure I provided was one of their estimates for impacts on Earth 😅

I'm guessing when NASA picks landing sites, they factor in areas that should be seismically stable, and less prone to micro meteorite bombardment, and try to maximise mission success and astronaut safety?

Hardensoul

NASA hasn't been to the surface of the Moon since 1972, whereas there are multiple rovers currently active on Mars.
It doesn’t have to be from NASA, but in general we haven’t gotten any good ones even from the other nations sending probes to the moon.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Live on Mars would be depressing even when it’s terraformed. You would have to be inside most of the time regardless, in artificial gravity. As gravity is not high enough on the outside of Mars. Our bodies could not handle a prolonged stay there. People would go blind, our eyes need external pressure to work right.

Rockondevil

6/10 too much sand.

Amazing pictures though. I hope someday in my lifetime we get such good imagery of our other planets too.

StueyDuck

Made in Unreal Engine 5

haha jk those pics are wild, so much less 'alien' than you expect, which is kind of creepier if you think about it.

Last edited:

midnightAI

It doesn’t have to be from NASA, but in general we haven’t gotten any good ones even from the other nations sending probes to the moon.
There aren't that many up there really, before the recent one from India it was the Chinese Yutu 2 and that isn't there to take photos as such. NASA hasn't sent anything there since the 70s as far as I'm aware. The one sent to mars just has much better cameras on it, I think NASA just thinks the moon is just boring to photograph

Hardensoul

There aren't that many up there really, before the recent one from India it was the Chinese Yutu 2 and that isn't there to take photos as such. NASA hasn't sent anything there since the 70s as far as I'm aware. The one sent to mars just has much better cameras on it, I think NASA just thinks the moon is just boring to photograph
All I got are excuses! The closes body to earth and we practically know nothing.

Why doesn’t moon rotate? Why we only see one side of the moon? Why we don’t know anything about dark side of the moon? Why moon has same distance as it goes around earth.

Those are great mysteries and aren’t boring to know about! 😂

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
All I got are excuses! The closes body to earth and we practically know nothing.

Why doesn’t moon rotate? Why we only see one side of the moon? Why we don’t know anything about dark side of the moon? Why moon has same distance as it goes around earth.

The dark side of the moon has been mapped.

We only see one side because it’s tidally locked. Our current understanding is that the difference in gravitational pull between earth and moon essentially dragged down the moons rotation.

The moon’s orbit is not perfectly circular, therefore distance is not always the same. Which is why sometimes the moon appears bigger.

I’m not an astronomer nor a physicist so I can’t verify these results, but the people who know how to do it seem to agree.

Last edited:

NickFire

Well, roughly the same material as Earth after all.

But I can’t wait for humanity to set foot there.
Those are some awesome pics. Kind of mind-blowing if I'm being honest. I don't know if I can really articulate what I would have thought pics of Mars would look like. But I certainly wouldn't have expected them to look so "Earthy." The first pic in particular.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Those are some awesome pics. Kind of mind-blowing if I'm being honest. I don't know if I can really articulate what I would have thought pics of Mars would look like. But I certainly wouldn't have expected them to look so "Earthy." The first pic in particular.
Yeah, when I saw those first two I had to post a thread. Hauntingly familiar.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
If you had to guess, who gets a man on there first. SpaceX or NASA?
Probably a joint project, like we’re doing with the ISS crew missions, using Starship. NASA has a bunch of contracted projects for various Moon/Mars mission components. Everyone will be involved in some capacity.

NickFire

Probably a joint project, like we’re doing with the ISS crew missions, using Starship. NASA has a bunch of contracted projects for various Moon/Mars mission components. Everyone will be involved in some capacity.
You really keep up with this stuff. More pics are always appreciated.

Kind of off-topic, but a little over a month ago I was on vacation in FL. Decided to take the boat ride back to resort late at night (technically early AM). At first I thought I was seeing an airliner in trouble, but the guys running the boat said it was a rocket going up. I think it was one of Space X's. Totally random, unplanned, but really cool to see from the water.

midnightAI

What Bitmap Frogs said, there just isn't much mystery surrounding the moon anymore other than theories on its creation and going there doesn't answer that question because it happened billions of years ago.

Anyway, basically, due to the earth's gravity the rotation of the moon slowed until it finally stopped (well, locked in place). Which is why it doesnt rotate (in relation to the earth), which in turn means we only see one side.

We know loads about the 'dark side' of the moon, it's the same as the side we see pretty much, that's the side the Yutu 2 rover is on. The dark side of the moon is misnamed of course because it sees dark and light just as we do.

Distance to the moon does.fluctuate slightly through the year, but it's at that distance due again to the earth's gravity, it's essentially in constant freefall (the moon wanting to move towards the earth due to the earth's gravity versus it's centrifugal force trying to move it away... I think, if someone wants to correct me on that)

Top Bottom