• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nascar Thunder 2005 Review @ Gamespot ...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Similar to ice skating in that regard, minus the fire...and death part.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
at least ice skating has hot chicks with nice bodies :)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
sonycowboy said:
Seems like they just posted it and I didn't find any previous post regarding it.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/driving/nascarthunder2005/index.html

Am I missing something by not ever trying this series? The production values look through the roof, but something about going around the same oval track 100 times doesn't seem appealing to me.

I could have sworn that during the attract clip running at a local store I saw stock cars running through the downtown of some city in the game?!?!?!?

Just checked the review:

Perhaps as a nod to the success that the parent company has had with Need for Speed: Underground, EA Sports has added head-to-head road races, street rides, and hip-hop paint schemes to NASCAR 2005. Every so often, in the "fight to the top" mode, a NASCAR pro will challenge you to a head-to-head race on a road course. If you win the race, you'll unlock a new car that can be used in the race now and online race modes. The range of cars that can be won from head-to-head races is decent, and includes the Chevy Corvette, Dodge Viper, Ford Mustang GT, and Ford SVT F-150 Lightning--to name a few.

Hmmmm

isamu said:
at least ice skating has hot chicks with nice bodies :)

1101940124_400.jpg

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I brought this game home from work the other night to answer the question of what they offer and why they get such high reviews. I don't know. The career mode is pretty deep, but the racing is fairly boring. I mean, I guess I can see why it's thrilling trying to do little passes and improve your line by inches each time round but I guess you'd have to have a passion for the sport already sparked. The ally/enemy thing seemed a little annoying and the graphics are absolute ASS. This game hurt my eyes.

sonycowboy said:
Am I missing something by not ever trying this series? The production values look through the roof, but something about going around the same oval track 100 times doesn't seem appealing to me.
Me neither... but I've ended up having a disproportionate amount of fun with the $10 copy of NASCAR Thunder 2003 my brother bought. Racing a career and slowly improving my vehicle's stats by driving in circles appeals to the level-up-er in me.

mosaic

go eat paint
Psst... *whispers* NASCAR Thunder 2004 and NASCAR 2005 include road and fantasy tracks.... and... *quiet whisper* NASCAR 2005 includes Featherlite cars and Craftsman Truck series....

EA has been working on including right turns for the last few years. Good thing, because if people lean left too often, they end up saying things like Nukeyular and "OB/GYNs can no longer have fun with women."

LakeEarth

My brother, who's a huge NASCAR fan, grabbed this game so quick. It has the fricken truck series, and a whole lot of new stuff no other NASCAR game had. So for fans of NASCAR games, this is a huge edition of the series.

And for people who say "it's just going around in a circle", it's not about the track, it's about the other 42 cars on the track, and finding holes and passing them. That's what it's all about.

Shinobi

Mustang said:
What I will never understand is what people see in the now extremely UNcompetitive Formula One.

Hey...my boy Kimi Raikkonen won last week! Pretty incredible race too...over half the field crashed out, most of 'em on the same straight.

I'm not a NASCAR fan, but I do appreciate what it's all about. All those ovals have different characteristics, so the goal of setting a car up to be as fast as possible on each of them takes some skill and time, but can be rewarding when it's done. And then you've high speed racing in basically a pack of 43 cars, with the ability to draft, go high or go low, and hoping your tires can hold up. NASCAR fans certainly appreciate this stuff, though I'm not sure EA's games have caught up to Seirra/Papyrus' NASCAR titles of a couple years ago which was the game to get in that category.

Top Bottom