• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NateDrake: Switch Final Devkits being shipped, Battery should be 3DS-like (5-8 hours)

Neiteio

Nate Drake doesn't just make up stuff.

He may be a psycho mass murderer with a half-tucked shirt, but he's not a liar!

(Unless you're Elena, then he probably lied to you)

The whole point is that this is stupid-ass Nostradamus stuff. It's vague insider teasing that literally can't be disproven. If the battery is lower or higher it'll just be "well, I guess they <managed to make things more efficient> / <didn't quite hit their battery target>". It's the very worst kind of insider teasing, and it's combined with the absolute stupidest thing: "I know more but I'm not going to say because I want you guys to enjoy the surprise!" It's the same archetype every time.

Sometimes it's because the person is a fake insider just making inferences based on publicly available info and basic rational speculation about what a good decision would be. Other times it's because they have some connection to developers (although possibly random indie developers on the periphery who themselves are not in a position to know) but they just pass along every nugget of info they hear with no discretion as to sourcing or hearsay. Does it really matter which they are? Regardless, it's annoying as hell.

These figures do it repeatedly, over and over again, week in and week out, for years and eventually people just start thinking "yeah, they sound credible, after all they're saying what other sources have saying, and I think they were definitely kinda right about something once".

Exclusive Scoop: I Am An Insider and I know the Nintendo has some exciting News for the January meeting... I won't spoil it but... it will be... legend....ary...!!!!

What about him saying it's Pascal-based? That seems harder to dodge if he's wrong. I know the other thread about the supposed dev kit leak mentioned Maxwell which is the older architecture before Pascal right? So Switch using Pascal would be awesome since it's the latest (I think Volta is the upcoming one next year after Pascal).

Do you believe this claim?

Luigiv

Wii U gamepad has:

1. Small Battery. Puny. It is only 1500mAh.
2. The video signal is a constant 5Ghz Wi-Fi transmission. Plus the Bluetooth for the controller.

Watch Netflix on your cellphone and tell me how long the battery lasts. And mind you, it has a bigger battery.

I believe the Wii U game pad actually just does both over 5GHz WiFi. No Bluetooth.

The whole point is that this is stupid-ass Nostradamus stuff. It's vague insider teasing that literally can't be disproven. If the battery is lower or higher it'll just be "well, I guess they <managed to make things more efficient> / <didn't quite hit their battery target>". It's the very worst kind of insider teasing, and it's combined with the absolute stupidest thing: "I know more but I'm not going to say because I want you guys to enjoy the surprise!" It's the same archetype every time.

Sometimes it's because the person is a fake insider just making inferences based on publicly available info and basic rational speculation about what a good decision would be. Other times it's because they have some connection to developers (although possibly random indie developers on the periphery who themselves are not in a position to know) but they just pass along every nugget of info they hear with no discretion as to sourcing or hearsay. Does it really matter which they are? Regardless, it's annoying as hell.

These figures do it repeatedly, over and over again, week in and week out, for years and eventually people just start thinking "yeah, they sound credible, after all they're saying what other sources have saying, and I think they were definitely kinda right about something once".

Exclusive Scoop: I Am An Insider and I know the Nintendo has some exciting News for the January meeting... I won't spoil it but... it will be... legend....ary...!!!!
Blame the messenger, not the message then.

Oh dear oh dear. Maybe you should have actually found out who NateDrake is before going on this bizarre rant?

Sounds really vague and uncertain. Not that I personally care since I'd only play it at home, but this doesn't really tell me anything.

Air

Banned
If true sounds like Nintendo is going h.a.m. For the switch. There's a good chance this could be the best console they've made. All the news/ rumors so far have come out really great.

TLZ

Banned
""devkits being shiped""""

no shit

"""""should be 5-8 hours""""

yep this sure is real good scoops, really laying it all on the line there, no possible way to weasel out of this if it's wrong because it's just a random guess

""""""" i don't like ruining the surprises of what they're going to announce """"

yeah maybe because you don't know any????

Why are you mad? Aren't you a mod? Why don't you verify his sources?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What about him saying it's Pascal-based? That seems harder to dodge if he's wrong. I know the other thread about the supposed dev kit leak mentioned Maxwell which is the older architecture before Pascal right? So Switch using Pascal would be awesome since it's the latest (I think Volta is the upcoming one next year after Pascal).

That seems something closer to disprovable--in the sense that if it ends up being Maxwell, I hope people will not let this source weasel out of it--but also hardly something indicative of being an insider. We knew from day -5000 that they were using a Tegra, which means even if you knew absolutely nothing, you could guess Maxwell, Pascal, or Volta (all three of which were known by name well before anyone was speculating about NX). Volta isn't ready yet and the hardware is locked by now, which gets you down to Maxwell and Pascal. The Maxwell Tegra came out a while ago and the Pascal Tegra is imminent, so again just taking a blind guess about it, I think you'd be about 50/50 likely to guess Pascal Tegra.

Do you believe this claim?

I don't believe or disbelieve it. It sounds plausible. Just as clearly 5-8 hours sounds plausible (in the same way, a blind guess would tell you "if this thing is to be portable, it's gotta have more battery life than the Wii U, but it's not going to be more than a tablet because that's not physically possible given the size and weight restrictions").

I think if an "insider" actually knows something, I mean actually knows something, they'll be the first to make a very specific, disprovable, and unexpected claim rather than just presenting forum speculation as potentially real and then wiggling out if they're wrong.

If someone can point me to a specific, disprovable claim I'd be happy to allow for the possibility that this is a person that has access to some non-public information. In the mean time, this is like an archetypal insider tease, right down to "I know lots about what they're going to announce but I'm not saying so be excited!" And if this is a case of someone knowing something but still choosing to engage in this nostradamus behaviour, I think that's stupid.

Why are you mad?

Because we persistently deal with garbage rumors and fake insiders that we need to police.

Aren't you a mod? Why don't you verify his sources?

Verify whose sources? How? I don't even know what I'm being asked to do.

Speely

Banned
Three hours is a big range. However, if the base of 5 hrs is for continuous gaming, that's great news. In this sense, 8 hrs would probably be mixed multimedia usage and not dedicated gaming.

Doesn't the Shield have pretty good battery life?

I can't imagine 5-8 at all, not even a bunch of tablets I have ow ed over the years hit that when active, the only time I have had tablets last that long is video playback at medium brightness. iPad has good life but again playing a game or intense cpu app kills the battery twice as fast.

I'm keeping it safe and expecting much less.

My 2ds gets roughly 3.5 hours playing monster hunter gen online in one sitting from a full charge.

Mariolee

Oh dear oh dear. Maybe you should have actually found out who NateDrake is before going on this bizarre rant?

He's Stumpokapow. He's a moderator. He knows who NateDrake is. That's partially why he's ranting. He's had enough of unsubstantiated Switch rumors.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I can't imagine 5-8 at all, not even a bunch of tablets I have ow ed over the years hit that when active, the only time I have had tablets last that long is video playback at medium brightness. iPad has good life but again playing a game or intense cpu app kills the battery twice as fast.

I'm keeping it safe and expecting much less.

Yep, I'm expecting 3-5 hours (even that feels a bit optimistic; 2-4?) and hoping for fast charging via USB-C. Anything more will be very nice.

renzolama

So Nintendo has built a machine capable of running high quality 3D graphics twice as long as a laptop with a battery half its size. I hope they sell it to my phone manufacturer.

Cerium

This seems like the kind of post that should've been made in the mod section.

Mechazawa

He's Stumpokapow. He's a moderator. He knows who NateDrake is. That's partially why he's ranting. He's had enough of unsubstantiated Switch rumors.

It is getting a little tiring, frankly.

I know mods shy away from mega threads in favor of "new news, new thread", but we don't even know if this stuff is actual news.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I don't have a clue who NateDrake is besides a character from Uncharted and apparently a Youtuber?

What 3DS is 5-8 hours? I am lucky to get three with my New 3DS XL.

Exactly what I was thinking. What fucking 3DS upgrade do they secretly have, with some awesome battery?

Mine is 5 hours if I turn off Wifi/Streetpass, and play simpler/2D games.

3 hours on Pokemon, Smash Bros, play over wifi, or anytime I turn 3D on

It&#8217;s a &#8220;New 3DS&#8221; by the way. Just bought it 2 months ago.

Also, who is "NateDrake"?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
""devkits being shiped""""

no shit

"""""should be 5-8 hours""""

yep this sure is real good scoops, really laying it all on the line there, no possible way to weasel out of this if it's wrong because it's just a random guess

""""""" i don't like ruining the surprises of what they're going to announce """"

yeah maybe because you don't know any????

The pupper we need. The no shit, no stakes rumor mill is ridiculous.

USB C means it'll probably take 30 minutes to recharge.
I don't fully know how the newer tech works for charging but my Nexus 6p over a fully powered USB c takes about 75 minutes from flat to reach 100%,i forget the battery size but hopefully the switch has something beefy in there.

Mariolee

I don't have a clue who NateDrake is besides a character from Uncharted and apparently a Youtuber?

He's a games journalist who's also on NeoGAF and has supposedly certain connections within the games industry as well as strong connections with Emily Rogers.

This whole thing has actually made me more curious of the supposed "vetting" process mods have on NeoGAF. I'm guessing this is a weird case because NateDrake himself is not creating the thread, but still. I would love if we could somehow lockdown on unsubstantiated Switch rumor threads.

PetrCobra

We need some serious scientific progress in batteries. 5 to 8 hours might be great compared to 3DS and considering what the Switch will do, but for my gaming needs it's still way too little. I'm about as tired of constantly charging some device as I am of changing game media, to be honest. At least I was able to solve the latter thanks to digital distribution.
But hey, if the battery life is indeed in that ballpark, it definitely won't be a reason for me to delay my purchase. I bought both the old and the new 3DS on launch, after all.

Top Bottom