• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NateDrake: Switch Final Devkits being shipped, Battery should be 3DS-like (5-8 hours)

Oh damn, disregard me then, I'm sorry.

I would be okay with 5 hours max. I was able to squeeze that much out of any of my 3DSs, so if battery life is comparable to that, it's acceptable for me.

Dude, chill, everyone makes mistakes.

Edit: Wow dudes, you really gotta stop getting so hostile over an honest mistake. I'm sorry I remembered it wrong, no reason to act like I stabbed your dog or something..

Sorry if I came off as hostile. That wasn't my intention and I didn't mean to be dogpiling or anything so I apologize. My last sentence was more as a general statement.

Brofield

I'd say that's far more reasonable, but I still feel it should go without saying that it makes sense to toss in a portable charger in your bag whenever possible. Hopefully the lifespan is longer still in sleep mode so I can still get them sweet streetpasses

J@hranimo

Banned
5-8 hours...

Isn't there a thing about if they use the Pascal chip architecture for the Tegra, one of it's main improvements are power consumption?

Thread is a clusterfuck - ya'll ate up Verendus's bullshit "rumors" and trolling for years but a bunch of people including a mod want to come sideways at NateDrake who has conducted himself in an infinitely superior manner because someone decided to relay something he said on youtube? Something he was smart enough not to post here?

Embarrassing conduct.

Kibbles

Any links or examples of proof that NateDrake has inside info? Because this stuff seems fairly obvious and nonconsequential but people keep hyping his track record and I've never seen his posts here.

Sorry if I came off as hostile. That wasn't my intention and I didn't mean to be dogpiling or anything so I apologize. My last sentence was more as a general statement.
You didn't come off as hostile. You cleared stuff up in a polite manner, I respect that. Most everyone else certainly did act pretty hostile though.
So, no offense taken. :)

Roo

Right?

5-8hrs is the range I've heard they are targeting. Hearing final dev kits went out in mid-November was an interesting detail and I thought people would want to hear about the battery range they are targeting. Lock the thread. I didn't post the video on the forums.
this is why we can't have nice things.
Sorry about all this :/

TLZ

Banned
Because we persistently deal with garbage rumors and fake insiders that we need to police.

Verify whose sources? How? I don't even know what I'm being asked to do.

I thought moderators here usually verify rumors and legit sources etc. Or is it only bish?

Thread is a clusterfuck - ya'll ate up Verendus's bullshit "rumors" and trolling for years but a bunch of people including a mod want to come sideways at NateDrake who has conducted himself in an infinitely superior manner because someone decided to relay something he said on youtube? Something he was smart enough not to post here?

Embarrassing conduct.

Pretty much.

Malakai

Would Nate really just make this stuff up for shits and giggles? Why are people calling him out? Thought he was pretty reputable around here.

You haven't seen the tech threads on the Switch. People were flat out disregarding Nate on the Switch usage of Pascal tech. Cuz Nintendo don't use "cutting edge" tech reasons...

I'm quite optimistic Nintendo fanboy and this one seems kinda unbelievable. It seems like most (all?) the switch rumors are very positive.... Can someone point me towards a bad Switch rumor plz?

TLZ

Banned
Let me clarify:
- We sometimes verify people that claim to actually be in the industry, but it's pretty rare.
- The manner of verification is to give them a cursory ask of who they work for and/or if they are reporting something second hand, who their source works for. In some extreme cases this has involved a follow-up on Linkedin. We can only verify that someone is theoretically in a position to know the things they're saying, not that what they're saying is true. It is not possible to verify a priori that something is true--no one moderating GAF is doing so in their capacity as a game developer (although a few moderators here are developers) or a game journalist (although a few moderators here are journalists)
- The main purpose of verifying people is so when they make claims, and then those claims don't come true, we know it was because things changed rather than them being full of shit. So for example if the battery life ends up being 3-5 hours or 8-10 hours, then this claim is wrong, but how will you know whether it's wrong because the information was wrong and you shouldn't have trusted it, or because it was right but things changed?
- Unfortunately because we're pretty good at blocking or banning sources that end up completely incorrect, we create an incentive for fakers or people exaggerating what they know to make vague claims and teases. One of the things that frustrates me the most about this category of rumours is that even if they're a GAF member, there's no way to hold them accountable.
- It's not clear how we would verify a random YouTube video maker. They have no public identity to verify, they don't claim to be in the industry so we can't connect them to a company, and if they had any evidence they were willing to share they'd presumably have shared it in their video, right? So what would you have us do?
- I don't think anyone should believe anything that can't be disproven, and the vague and more Nostradamus-like the claim, the more likely you should consider it bogus.
- I do think you should trust mid-to-large size commercial journalistic outlets rather than random freelance fan journalists.

- Most of the "actually trustworthy" "insiders" who provide information are still pretty unprofessional in terms of how they choose to relay information that they haven't adequately confirmed, or in terms of misrepresenting their certainty, or their source's certainty, or their own ability to verify their source's credibility. I don't think it makes sense to dig in deep against specific people, but by far the biggest category of people we've had to deal with is not people totally making up fake stuff, it's people who have very poor discretion about trusting their sources and overplay their hands. That's my sense of what happened with Verendus, for example (although I can't know for sure), as well as other past NeoGAF would-be insiders like thuway and famousmortimer.

Thanks for taking the time to type this up. Appreciated.

I'm quite optimistic Nintendo fanboy and this one seems kinda unbelievable. It seems like most (all?) the switch rumors are very positive.... Can someone point me towards a bad Switch rumor plz?

The rumor of Nintendo keeping their VC upgrade fee system and the initial 3-5 hour battery life from a previous devkit.

vern

I know people questioned what I know (or don't know) before, but I can confirm Nate's info that final dev kits have gone out. Feel free to doubt me if you want, but my sources corroborate that they went out in early to mid november.

I was told longer than the 3 hours rumored, haven't heard up to 8 though. That would be awesome if true. I'm hearing 5-6ish in real world circumstances. I don't doubt Drake though.

I know people questioned what I know (or don't know) before, but I can confirm Nate's info that final dev kits have gone out. Feel free to doubt me if you want, but my sources corroborate that they went out in early to mid november.

I was told longer than the 3 hours rumored, haven't heard up to 8 though. That would be awesome if true. I'm hearing 5-6ish in real world circumstances. I don't doubt Drake though.

5 hours is great regardless.

Maybe 8 hours with screen on dim, sound off, wifi off, and Joy-Cons connected...while playing a non-intensive game like Angry Birds

If anyone thinks you're getting 8 hours under realistic circumstances, well you're setting yourselves up for disappointment. If it hits even 5 reliably, I'd be impressed.

Thx, Nate. Sorry things went down like this. You were smart not to post the vid here and just in general you seem very reserved. OP should have requested your permission before posting.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Nate, you have one mission left should you choose to accept it...

We know a bit about the CPU.
We know about the RAM.
We know about the VC.

Find us a ballpark number for the GPU.

176 - 512 Glops or 512 - 1 Tflop ?.

I have faith that you can find this info out and make our Holidays happy !!

NateDrake

Thx, Nate. Sorry things went down like this. You were smart not to post the vid here and just in general you seem very reserved. OP should have requested your permission before posting.
I don't like attention. I share what I do when I'm confident in it and feel it's beneficial to discuss. Internet fame isn't something I seek.

MoonFrog

I don't like attention. I share what I do when I'm confident in it and feel it's beneficial to discuss. Internet fame isn't something I seek.
That's appreciated.

I also get what Stump is on about, but you're not that insider in my experience.

wildfire

Banned
If this really is 80% of the Xbox one in dock mode and still had the life span of the 3ds while in handheld mode, I'll be left in awe of what they achieved.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
If the final dev kits are out there, hopefully the specs will get leaked soon.

This is not in anyway, shape or form me trying to sound incredulous in regards to the source of the information here, but the closer you get to 8 hours, the more it sounds like an absolute pipe dream to me if you're talking about active gaming. 8 hours of internet browsing? Yeah, I'd believe it. 8 hours of playing Breath of the Wild? I am extremely skeptical. I'm skeptical of even hitting 5 in that use case.

Again, this is not me trying to call out NateDrake. If Kimishima or Reggie publicly stated this I would still be raising a very skeptical eyebrow.

Roo

This is not in anyway, shape or form me trying to sound incredulous in regards to the source of the information here, but the closer you get to 8 hours, the more it sounds like an absolute pipe dream to me if you're talking about active gaming. 8 hours of internet browsing? Yeah, I'd believe it. 8 hours of playing Breath of the Wild? I am extremely skeptical. I'm skeptical of even hitting 5 in that use case.

Again, this is not me trying to call out NateDrake. If Kimishima or Reggie publicly stated this I would still be raising a very skeptical eyebrow.

To be honest, Nate said it basically depends on how you use system. If you have max brightness, max volume, wi-fi, etc etc etc that will impact the battery.
It's kind of obvious playing intensive games like BotW (in this case ) non-stop certainly won't last 8 hours.

IrishNinja

some of ya'll caping for a YTer over a respected admin that's also one of the better posters on here bar none, too. i guess that's something.

out of all the dumb and insanely vague rumors of the Switch, this is the hill you want to die on?

a healthy amount of skepticism in the wake of yet another bullshit "insider" being exposed is something that strikes you as a negative? and he's dying on this how exactly?

Don't you communicate with other mods? Is this how mods carry themselves on this website?

damn, he gave this post a far kinder response than i would've. yeah, free labor for a site of this size/scope, they really should all clock in simultaneously.

He's an admin that just took a shit on a member of this forum who has proven himself to have reliable info in the past. It's out of line.

this is why the defensiveness is ridiculous - the onus isn't on dude, it's on the YT'er making vague claims. if you've been here a bit, you know they clamp down on fuckery of all kinds before big hardware unveils/etc,

that's not taking a shit on your favorite personality, nor out of line - that's what keeps this spot from becoming the next n4g or whatever.

Top Bottom