• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NateTheHate: State of Play is the next Sony event | Doom: Dark Ages coming to PlayStation 5

midnightAI

Because I like Sony first-party content, and every gen before this one they've created amazing games. This generation (apart from Insomniac) they really haven't delivered, and I was hoping for a Showcase to at least show me something that's worth upgrading to PS5.
Well you'll have to be more patient then won't you. PS4 gen isn't too dissimilar to this one by the way, most of the big hitters on PS4 came second half of the gen.

He said everything would go 3rd party right?

All of Bethesda more or less. MS Flight sim. And some of the older IP

Probably going to be a case of if their dev pipeline supports it they'll do it day one. All their studios will get there eventually but it'll probably take a few years. A studio like undead Labs for example will probably be the last since they're small and never made PS game.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You are assuming that Sony reacts to every rumour out there and so must reveal a State of Play/Showcase, the only reason you are impatient is because Grubby Grubb said it was this month, but Sony doesn't work to fit in with his timescales.

Wrong. I'm impatient because we haven't had a showcase worth a damn since Wolverine was revealed in 2021. And no, Sony is under no obligation to respond to rumor, but gee......wouldn't it be nice if they actual responded to their customers questions about this rather than just ignore us year after year?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Wrong. I'm impatient because we haven't had a showcase worth a damn since Wolverine was revealed in 2021. And no, Sony is under no obligation to respond to rumor, but gee......wouldn't it be nice if they actual responded to their customers questions about this rather than just ignore us year after year?
The root of this comes from not having bangers to show just yet (and don't know when the next ones are even coming)

Topher

Gold Member
The root of this comes from not having bangers to show just yet (and don't know when the next ones are even coming)

I just want to see some PlayStation games to be excited about. But if they just don't have any games ready to show then guess I was right to sell my PS5.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Neolombax

Gold Member
Destiny 2 The Final Shape is coming out next month, thats from a Sony first party studio...right?

On the topic though, pretty surprising Doom is still multiplatform, if true. It makes sense mind you.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I just want to see some PlayStation games to be excited about. But if they just don't have any games ready to show then guess I was right to sell my PS5.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
We saw this lul coming as we talked about it even over a year ago and games like Stellar Blade or Rise of Ronin just doesn't do it for me

I think after we get the Pro revealed we might see these bigger games being shown off on that system, I hope anyhow

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Genuinely go to sleep if you're a Playstation-only person this year. They couldn't have made it more explicit that they have nothing for you if they tried. Put some eye and ear drops in the appropriate orifices.

Edit: this didn't come across how I meant it to, I'd had a beer or five and it was aimed at people being glum about big Sony games. Leaving it up for transparency.
No offense, but it's a very stupid thing to say 5 months into the year when PS5-only players have already had Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Pacific Drive, Rise of the Ronin, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, and more.

XXL

All of Bethesda more or less. MS Flight sim. And some of the older IP

Probably going to be a case of if their dev pipeline supports it they'll do it day one. All their studios will get there eventually but it'll probably take a few years. A studio like undead Labs for example will probably be the last since they're small and never made PS game.
8rkz7w.jpg

8rl0tp.jpg

I'm starting to think everything at the Xbox conference is going to be Day 1 on PS5.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
No offense, but it's a very stupid thing to say 5 months into the year when PS5-only players have already had Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Pacific Drive, Rise of the Ronin, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, and more.
I know different people like different stuff but for me that’s a very subpar list and explains exactly why we havent been getting proper PlayStation Showcases

XXL

Xbox hardware is on life support anyhow (and likely not recovery for awhile) so why not try to make as many actual sales as possible?
I agree. I think this is the best way forward for them.

No one (in general) cares about Xbox as a brand anymore and their fanbase has been trained to not buy games.

Its the only way that makes sense at this point.

midnightAI

I meant impatient right now, if Grubb had said nothing we'd be quite happy to just wait for the announcement when it happens, whether that's this month or next. I get wanting to see whatever Sony's studios are up to, I want to know also, but so long as they show them soon I don't really care when. A lot of anger is currently being directed at Sony because of a rumour that a Showcase is happening and we haven't heard anything yet.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I know different people like different stuff but for me that’s a very subpar list and explains exactly why we havent been getting proper PlayStation Showcases
I respectfully disagree. Personal tastes aside, some things are considered objectively good, and the voice of the majority is a good indicator of whether a thing is considered good or not - even if we don't like/agree with it.

All the games I mentioned are received extremely well.
  • Both Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade have user reviews touching 90.
  • Helldivers 2 remains as the best-selling game of the year.
  • FF7 Rebirth is arguably the strongest GOTY candidate so far and was unanimously acclaimed critically.
Considering all that happened in less than 5 months, this is an excellent list, in my opinion. Especially when we compare it with the competition.

Topher

Gold Member
I meant impatient right now, if Grubb had said nothing we'd be quite happy to just wait for the announcement when it happens, whether that's this month or next. I get wanting to see whatever Sony's studios are up to, I want to know also, but so long as they show them soon I don't really care when. A lot of anger is currently being directed at Sony because of a rumour that a Showcase is happening and we haven't heard anything yet.

Oh....my impatience for a proper first party showcase has been around much longer than "right now". Two years ago we got nothing. Last year, we got a showcase with a bunch of Gaas shit. I'm worried at this point that we go another year and only get more shitty SoP nonsense. So are you ok if we get another year of next to nothing shown by Sony?

I respectfully disagree. Personal tastes aside, some things are considered objectively good, and the voice of the majority is a good indicator of whether a thing is considered good or not - even if we don't like/agree with it.

• FF7 Rebirth is arguably the strongest GOTY candidate so far and was unanimously acclaimed critically.
Considering all that happened in less than 5 months, this is an excellent list, in my opinion. Especially when we compare it with the competition.

And once Lego Horizon comes out we'll have finally topped 1998

Oh....my impatience for a proper first party showcase has been around much longer than "right now". Two years ago we got nothing. Last year, we got a showcase with a bunch of Gaas shit. I'm worried at this point that we go another year and only get more shitty SoP nonsense. So are you ok if we get another year of next to nothing shown by Sony?

Could be a good State of Play. They've been better than any of the showcases so far anyway

midnightAI

Well, that's assuming just because we don't get a showcase right now that we won't get one at all. I''ve already stated that I think a SoP is likely now because I expect them to show heavy hitters when the Pro is announced, even if they had a showcase now they wouldn't show those games in my opinion because they will want to show them on Pro.

If we get nothing this year, it wouldn't be great, but there are more games than Playstation in house first party games, I know games take a long time to make, I know Sony (in general) doesn't like to show games too early, and I know these games are currently in development so I know they'll come eventually. So, actually, yeh, I'd be ok with it so long as games like Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronin etc. are still being released. Happy? no, ok with it? Yeh, kinda

Actually, if Astro Bot does come this year, yeh, happy, love those games

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Thats why I say I know people enjoy different things but none of this interests me and again that list explains to me the lack of actual Sony showcases and instead just getting SOPs.

Jaybe

Gold Member
8rkz7w.jpg

8rl0tp.jpg

I'm starting to think everything at the Xbox conference is going to be Day 1 on PS5.

Phil must be looking pretty stupid within Microsoft for buying Bethesda a large multi platform publisher, keeping what was expected to be a top game of the generation in Starfield exclusive to their small install base, sales to be terrible relative to Fallout and Elder scrolls, only for the strategy to change and Xbox to go full multi platform. I bet Sarah Bond or Matt Booty take over Microsoft Gaming before the year is over.

The only games I am going to buy in the future from Sony developers are probably the next AstroBot game and the Bluepoint Souls game. I am not interested into their others GAAS or AAA games anymore. Only those 2 developers output still interest me.
They just got lucky at recently buying Helldivers 2 developers, so yes it's first party (and GAAS so not for me) but the rest are not first party games, only time limited exclusive.

XXL

I know people want a 1st party blow out showcase and I do to, but from their perspective in can see why they'll wait it out.

The next year (or so) on PS5 is going to be injected with basically everything good that was on Xbox over the last 8 years. Halo MCC, Gears, Forza Horizon, etc.

They have more than enough stuff to keep the fanbase interested for a while and they've probably had an idea about this for a while now. When MS started mass ordering PS5 dev kits from them. Lol.

With that said, I do think they should throw everyone a bone and show one of the big titles, it's been a while (for their in house teams).

Topher

Gold Member
Well, that's assuming just because we don't get a showcase right now that we won't get one at all. I''ve already stated that I think a SoP is likely now because I expect them to show heavy hitters when the Pro is announced, even if they had a showcase now they wouldn't show those games in my opinion because they will want to show them on Pro.

If we get nothing this year, it wouldn't be great, but there are more games than Playstation in house first party games, I know games take a long time to make, I know Sony (in general) doesn't like to show games too early, and I know these games are currently in development so I know they'll come eventually. So, actually, yeh, I'd be ok with it so long as games like Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronin etc. are still being released. Happy? no, ok with it? Yeh, kinda

Actually, if Astro Bot does come this year, yeh, happy, love those games

Eh....if you are "ok" with it then that's fine. I'm tired having the same conversation every year.

mortal

So a series that was already multiplatform will continue being multiplatform. Sounds like good news to me.

A State of Play rather than a proper showcase would be disappointing, but Sony's PS5 marketing is all over the place these days. Sometimes it's at the beginning of the year, sometimes in the summer, and other times in the fall.
I don't even know what constitutes a SoP or showcase anymore. Last year's Showcase was such a letdown and felt more like an extended SoP with them leaning so hard on 3rd party titles with hardly any 1st party presence.

There hasn't been a proper, knock your socks off showcase since the 2020 PS5 reveal.

XXL

Phil must be looking pretty stupid within Microsoft for buying Bethesda a large multi platform publisher, keeping what was expected to be a top game of the generation in Starfield exclusive to their small install base, sales to be terrible relative to Fallout and Elder scrolls, only for the strategy to change and Xbox to go full multi platform. I bet Sarah Bond or Matt Booty take over Microsoft Gaming before the year is over.
The irony of the Bethesda purchase is Redfall might actually end up as the only Xbox exclusive that came from that deal and I'm not saying this to as a zinger. Lol.

It has a high chance of becoming an actual reality.

Which is fucking unreal.

Phil Spencer literally failed the Xbox faithful in my ways, but that would be the ultimate cherry on top.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Again I go way back to Phil and Mike sharing a drink when Ryan got that job saying he would run them into the ground

It took awhile but this last 18 months or so and the next several months are we just now seeing the fruits of his labor?

I don't care PS has sold a billion consoles, I care about what the games are like recently

Again like you said, seems we have been having the same conversation a lot recently.

Astray

The irony of the Bethesda purchase is Redfall might actually end up as the only Xbox exclusive that came from that deal and I'm not saying this to as a zinger. Lol.

It has a high chance of becoming an actual reality.

Which is fucking unreal.

Phil Spencer literally failed the Xbox faithful in my ways, but that would be the ultimate cherry on top.
Moneyhatting Redfall for $8bn has to be one of the funniest business moves of all time.

Elios83

They have already stated clearly that their big games are coming in FY25 and FY26.
Just like they have stated clearly that 2024 won't see sequels to their biggest franchises.

fnQuyV8.jpeg

They will decide when it's the right time to announce this stuff, it's pretty much clear their marketing isn't focused on trying to keep fans spending their time online excited by showcasing things years in advance anymore.

Imo it makes sense to have an event right now focused on showing what's coming in the rest of 2024 (Destiny Final Shape, Concord, rumored new Astrobot game, Until Dawn remake) + second/third parties+ a couple of surprises (Lego Horizon).
Later this year in September they will have to announce the Pro and create some buzz around it and it will be an ideal time to showcase also what's next looking at 2025 and beyond.

Also at this point there's always the Xbox third party multiplatform showcase to fill some void right?"pie_tears_joy: 🤭

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

"Objective" statements are not based on the "voice of the majority". For those of us wanting the games we love from Sony's first party studios, what you are listing doesn't really make a lot of difference.

Again I go way back to Phil and Mike sharing a drink when Ryan got that job saying he would run them into the ground

It took awhile but this last 18 months or so and the next several months are we just now seeing the fruits of his labor?

I don't care PS has sold a billion consoles, I care about what the games are like recently

Again like you said, seems we have been having the same conversation a lot recently.

We have and I have also said multiple times that I'd love for all my concerns to be for naught. If we get a showcase next month and Sony blows my socks off then I'll happily take my lumps from the good folks of GAF.

"Objective" statements are not based on the "voice of the majority". For those of us wanting the games we love from Sony's first party studios, what you are listing doesn't really make a lot of difference.

We have and I have also said multiple times that I'd love for all my concerns to be for naught. If we get a showcase next month and Sony blows my socks off then I'll happily take my lumps from the good folks of GAF.

Just wait until next week you're going to pee lego out of your butt

SHA

It's great existing franchise titles are coming to PS day 1 as it should be. As for PS only a SOP? No summer showcase is absolutely awful and really does show how badly run the first-party studio's have been this generation. My PS4 Pro is still used for the odd older classic, but still no reason to upgrade to a PS5 or the PS5 PRO when it arrives.

When the supposed dying Xbox brand is the only one creating any excitement or hype for the industry what does that tell you?
X means wrong
Wrong box
They should've picked a different name
Like direct x box or something.

RickMasters

Pretty much yet there are still people here who say they will buy a new Xbox should one ever come out. Why?

Possibly because the next Xbox is supposedly gonna run, steam aswell as Xbox. Which would mean they can play Xbox games on an Xbox aswell as whatever they own on steam,which most likely includes some PlayStation games anyway🤷🏾‍♂️

There’s also a the fact that most have large digital libraries and will want the next Xbox to play those games on with enhanced settings.

Plenty of reasons for an Xbox owner to buy the next Xbox. Their Games, their friends ( probably their clan too?)

I know I’m still buying the next Xbox for all of the reasons above. My next Xbox will probably also load up my steam account so I’ll have both my accounts on one box. All my games on one box.

Jesus. Both these companies have no fucking clue what they're doing anymore. Seems like Nintendo is the only one that hasn't totally lost the plot.

SkylineRKR

It never made sense to me to purchase Zenimax and ABK, just to lock those games behind a single console. It would make more sense if MS would buy some independent studios for this goal.

They obviously tried with Starfield (and the irrelevant Redfall), and saw that 100's of millions were likely left on the table with no PS5 version and that is without factoring in ongoing sales from possible MTX and DLC. How mediocre the game might be, it would easily sell 10+ million on PS5 alone. Its ironic in a way, but on the other hand MS does profit from ABK and Zenimax sales on PS5 from now on too.

Top Bottom