• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NateTheHate: State of Play is the next Sony event | Doom: Dark Ages coming to PlayStation 5

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Nah that's so stupid lol. They'll announce Ghost 2/Venom alongside the Pro to show it off. That'll be their lineup for this year and next done. We're not going to see anything else because they are going to be 2026 titles+ besides maybe some CGI announcement at best for one of them, just to say "yes we do have a game"
Yes thars exactly what I think... 2026 titles.. 2025 like 24 probably is going to be empty of big first party single player games. They reserved this time frame for their gaas games maybe...

Yes thars exactly what I think... 2026 titles.. 2025 like 24 probably is going to be empty of big first party single player games. They reserved this time frame for their gaas games maybe...

Depends if Ghost 2 actually hits next year or not. It'd be a decent balance between the two if so

Concord end of this year + Astrobot
Ghosts 2, DS2, Venom and then Fairgames and Marathon next year.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I just want to see some PlayStation games to be excited about. But if they just don't have any games ready to show then guess I was right to sell my PS5.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live
Yeah Ps6 may be the first sony console I wont buy at launch ..

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Depends if Ghost 2 actually hits next year or not. It'd be a decent balance between the two if so

Concord end of this year + Astrobot
Ghosts 2, DS2, Venom and then Fairgames and Marathon next year
I really dont belive that anything BIG that is not shown in this presentation is coming 2025. It would hit the 1.5 year gap. Past that.. is highly unlikely imo. Hope to be wrong though but I aint holding my breath

FewRope

Why is it going to be a massive bomb? Looked it has potential from the trailer.
Indiana Jones just doesnt have any appeal, last two movie were a disaster. I honestly dont see the game doing that great, better than Hellblade 2, thats for sure

bitbydeath

Makes sense. Show off some games coming out in 2024 at a SOP. Do a showcase in late September/October and reveal the PS5Pro and show some of the Pro enhanced 2025 games then.
I think this is it, and I’m not a fan of this new direction of having both games and conferences being announced last minute.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Indiana Jones is going to be another massive bomb btw Hope they have that port relatively ready
I’m all ready to complain about it having an awful first person view when it gets announced for PlayStation, I get some people still like that view but it needs retirement… but I’m going to hold off until it’s announced for PlayStation.

FewRope

I’m all ready to complain about it having an awful first person view when it gets announced for PlayStation, I get some people still like that view but it needs retirement… but I’m going to hold off until it’s announced for PlayStation.
Oh for sure, the first person whip combat was honestly embarrasing

yazenov

Why is it going to be a massive bomb? Looked it has potential from the trailer.
Probably because the franchise is irrelevant now. The latest movie Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny was a huge flop at the box office.

I wonder who was the genius who thought of this great idea to bring a dead franchise to the gaming market, make a game out of it, and hope for success. Normally it's the opposite, you take an insanely popular franchise and make a video game out of it like Spider-Man or Batman.

Now, unless it's on PS5 day one to recoup some of the costs, all things point to a massive bomb.

I think the difference is Minecraft has always been multiplat. Xbox has a live fan zone event going on with influencers for their upcoming showcase.. It may be seen as a slap in the face if they bring up other consoles. You could be right though

Well I mean, DOOM has also always been multiplat for the past gen or two tho. I know DOOM 3 was an OG Xbox console exclusive, but that's more out of technical reasons than anything else.

But actually I kinda take that back; DOOM 1, 2, etc. went on as many consoles as possible in their time alongside PC. I mean even stuff like 32X and Jaguar got versions of DOOM, so I'd say for the most part the IP's always been seen as multiplatform.

Or $17 for cloud gaming on any web browser or smart TV.

I highly doubt people interested in a twitch shooter like DOOM will want to play it via cloud. Not with that lag and low bitrate Xcloud has had for the longest time.

Probably because the franchise is irrelevant now. The latest movie Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny was a huge flop at the box office.

I wonder who was the genius who thought of this great idea to bring a dead franchise to the gaming market, make a game out of it, and hope for success. Normally it's the opposite, you take an insanely popular franchise and make a video game out of it like Spider-Man or Batman.

Now, unless it's on PS5 day one to recoup some of the costs, all things point to a massive bomb.

TBF, before Dial of Destiny killed it, Indiana Jones seemed just slightly catatonic. But otherwise, still a good chance to reignite interest with a solid film.

But of course modern Lucasfilm ruined that chance and that may have hampered a lot of potential otherwise interest in a new Indiana Jones game. A really good game could succeed even in spite of that, but yeah, it wouldn't do much in being a commercial success if stuck to only Xbox console-wise.

It'll need a PS5 version ASAP, and again, the game has to be particularly great to overcome IP disinterest that set in for many due to Dial of Destiny.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Well I mean, DOOM has also always been multiplat for the past gen or two tho. I know DOOM 3 was an OG Xbox console exclusive, but that's more out of technical reasons than anything else.

But actually I kinda take that back; DOOM 1, 2, etc. went on as many consoles as possible in their time alongside PC. I mean even stuff like 32X and Jaguar got versions of DOOM, so I'd say for the most part the IP's always been seen as multiplatform.

I highly doubt people interested in a twitch shooter like DOOM will want to play it via cloud. Not with that lag and low bitrate Xcloud has had for the longest time.
Kate Winslet GIF

I need a drink .

Didn't MS always say that franchises with established fanbases on PS would continue to come to PS? So this isn't really anything special.

When they originally said that, they meant WRT multiplat IP that already had games released on other platforms prior to the acquisition. So stuff like Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout '76, etc.

They never meant nor intended that to extend towards brand new installments in those IP, i.e prior to the pivot, that new rumored DOOM game would have been an Xbox console exclusive. We have the leaked emails confessing to that and much, much more.

So no, the new DOOM getting a PS5 (and I'd assume later on, Switch 2) release, is actually quite special and a big deal. It reaffirms MS's pivot to being a multiplat 3P publisher in the truest sense of the word. In Phil's preferred timeline, this sort of thing would never be happening, but he's not calling the actual shots anymore.

Kate Winslet GIF

I need a drink .

I sometimes forget how far back DOOM goes, myself, and a lot of the early console ports during the '90s weren't that good. Even the good ones often had cut content, and all console versions came years after the initial PC releases for DOS and Windows.

DOOM 3 is an outlier for the franchise in terms of being a console exclusive to OG Xbox.

Last edited:
Short, AA SP games have been bombing left and right for a while now. Indiana Jones looks like it was greenlit in a bygone era.
It's definitely a AAA game. I'm sure it will be decent because Machine Games are a good studio. Having said that, It's obvious they were pushed by Bethesda/Microsoft to develop this game, and I'm not sure how a first person linear action adventure game with limited gunplay works. Seems like it would be awkward as hell to play

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
When they originally said that, they meant WRT multiplat IP that already had games released on other platforms prior to the acquisition. So stuff like Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout '76, etc.

They never meant nor intended that to extend towards brand new installments in those IP, i.e prior to the pivot, that new rumored DOOM game would have been an Xbox console exclusive. We have the leaked emails confessing to that and much, much more.

So no, the new DOOM getting a PS5 (and I'd assume later on, Switch 2) release, is actually quite special and a big deal. It reaffirms MS's pivot to being a multiplat 3P publisher in the truest sense of the word. In Phil's preferred timeline, this sort of thing would never be happening, but he's not calling the actual shots anymore.

I sometimes forget how far back DOOM goes, myself, and a lot of the early console ports during the '90s weren't that good. Even the good ones often had cut content, and all console versions came years after the initial PC releases for DOS and Windows.

DOOM 3 is an outlier for the franchise in terms of being a console exclusive to OG Xbox.
Exactly.

Remember all the hemming and hawing from Phil Spencer over a new TES?

Fun times.

The anti trust trial leaks told us exactly what MS wanted to do. Hell, even interviews Phil did in 2020 about Bethesda told us they wanted new games to be exclusive.

Last edited:
I love it.

Not only does Xbox now not need to lose profit on their hardware, they can now focus solely on selling their shit to PlayStation players, PC players and even Nintendo players and make hand over fist profit. The sad part is, if Sony ever face the same fate, what is their option here? PC only, they’ll have no other platform to launch on.

Microsoft are smart, they can see the writing on the wall, their days were numbered the way they were doing it before. Life is pretty good now, I’ve got my PC, no longer really need the Xbox so it can be sold and I’ll get a cheap PS5, get the best of both worlds and I have my switch, covered on all bases.

You’ve just got to laugh at the petty people who only see this as a loss for Xbox but how good it is for us game consumers. You don’t play brands, you play games so it shouldn’t matter if Xbox is making consoles or not.

Good work Xbox, I haven’t had a PlayStation since PS2 but I will now be joining the ranks and playing your games on it 🙂↔️

Perrott

I really dont belive that anything BIG that is not shown in this presentation is coming 2025. It would hit the 1.5 year gap. Past that.. is highly unlikely imo. Hope to be wrong though but I aint holding my breath
It seems pretty clear just by looking at what's rumored to show up at this May event - 99% guaranteed to a State of Play at this point - that it is going to be a show focused on stuff coming out later this year.

I wouldn't expect to learn about any of the big guns - Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, Bend, FromSoftware - until the PS5 Pro presentation around September. And out of those, I'd say there's a couple that might be at least aiming at getting their stuff out in 2025, but we'll have to see if they manage to (DS2 was 2024 before being pushed back to first half of 2025).

Outside of those tentpole titles, there's also stuff like Project Heartbreak (Until Dawn 2) that I could see being shown the same year of its release, just like the upcoming Astro Bot or LEGO Horizon games. Remasters and remakes are also shown just three to six months in advance.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No offense, but it's a very stupid thing to say 5 months into the year when PS5-only players have already had Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Pacific Drive, Rise of the Ronin, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, and more.

Yes, I know. You even quoted the edited version that clarified that I was talking specifically about them not releasing any major first party titles in the next year. That doesn't mean people don't have anything to play of course.

For further clarity I'm talking about this, which also ties into the thread made yesterday re: what Shinobi602 said. It's not a dig at Sony, it's telling ravenous people wondering where God of War 3 is to calm down.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I love it.

Not only does Xbox now not need to lose profit on their hardware, they can now focus solely on selling their shit to PlayStation players, PC players and even Nintendo players and make hand over fist profit. The sad part is, if Sony ever face the same fate, what is their option here? PC only, they’ll have no other platform to launch on.

Microsoft are smart, they can see the writing on the wall, their days were numbered the way they were doing it before. Life is pretty good now, I’ve got my PC, no longer really need the Xbox so it can be sold and I’ll get a cheap PS5, get the best of both worlds and I have my switch, covered on all bases.

You’ve just got to laugh at the petty people who only see this as a loss for Xbox but how good it is for us game consumers. You don’t play brands, you play games so it shouldn’t matter if Xbox is making consoles or not.

Good work Xbox, I haven’t had a PlayStation since PS2 but I will now be joining the ranks and playing your games on it 🙂↔️

Recover Falling Down GIF

Last edited:
I love it.

EDIT: Never mind. Damn did I misread this post 😂

Exactly.

Remember all the hemming and hawing from Phil Spencer over a new TES?

Fun times.

The anti trust trial leaks told us exactly what MS wanted to do. Hell, even interviews Phil did in 2020 about Bethesda told us they wanted new games to be exclusive.

And the emails, vs. what we're seeing happen right now, just proves even more that the multiplatform calls are coming from way above Phil, Sarah, and Booty. Top brass at Microsoft Gaming have clearly lost leverage in their balls-out traditional strategy. I imagine it was either they play ball with higher-ups or find themselves looking for other places to work.

What does strike me as kinda funny is, I've seen some people say that MS haven't even tried making a push for exclusives with the acquired content, or haven't tried competing just yet. They're wrong. MS have already done both. HiFi Rush, RedFall, and especially Starfield were the tests to see if Xbox owners would support these games as exclusives. They failed that test.

With the dropping revenue & profit margins, there is no way Xbox as a division was ever going to recoup $80+ billion in net profits over a period of even 2-3 decades, if they tried leveraging an exclusivity strategy as originally intended. That's what Microsoft took into consideration, and it's the main reason they are making these changes.

Last edited:
EDIT: Never mind. Damn did I misread this post 😂

And the emails, vs. what we're seeing happen right now, just proves even more that the multiplatform calls are coming from way above Phil, Sarah, and Booty. Top brass at Microsoft Gaming have clearly lost leverage in their balls-out traditional strategy. I imagine it was either they play ball with higher-ups or find themselves looking for other places to work.

What does strike me as kinda funny is, I've seen some people say that MS haven't even tried making a push for exclusives with the acquired content, or haven't tried competing just yet. They're wrong. MS have already done both. HiFi Rush, RedFall, and especially Starfield were the tests to see if Xbox owners would support these games as exclusives. They failed that test.

With the dropping revenue & profit margins, there is no way Xbox as a division was ever going to recoup $80+ billion in net profits over a period of even 2-3 decades, if they tried leveraging an exclusivity strategy as originally intended. That's what Microsoft took into consideration, and it's the main reason they are making these changes.
Was it good or bad? I’m just saying this is good for everyone, especially if you like Xbox games but don’t necessarily want to choose between PlayStation or Xbox. You can pretty much have it all now, a PlayStation with Xbox produced games.

What I will miss is Xbox Live though, the 360 era was golden. It died with Xbox One because they messed around with game chat and forced people into parties etc and it stayed dead with the series console too. No one talks, no game chat fighting and arguing, it’s boring and lonely now.

I just hope that if I do get a PlayStation that any games currently supported for it, I should surely get to play them as they are part of my Xbox account?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well, they're going to have "show" the games instead of just announcing them. Because getting more Death Stranding 2 gameplay consisting of mostly walking and Wolverine gameplay (2026 for the shit is ridiculous) that's already been leaked with "real time cutscene" reveals for everything else isn't going to cut it.

Last years showcase was so shit despite the 20 month wait between it and 2021's. I would like to believe that it'll be worth it, but I can't say with 100% confidence that all of these games are going to actually look next gen in game systems to justify the waiting.

The bolded is such a weird way to view Playstation and their future potentials shows imo. We've played Death Stranding 1. So why act as if what they've shown so far is bad? Mostly walking? Really?! And what we "saw" from Wolverine was from a build that's 2+ years old. Do you understand game development at all?

ProtoByte

The bolded is such a weird way to view Playstation and their future potentials shows imo. We've played Death Stranding 1. So why act as if what they've shown so far is bad? Mostly walking? Really?!
I'm not going to lie, I have almost zero respect for Death Stranding. I don't personally care about it, and I'm not alone. I certainly don't think that it generally shows well or exciting for a next gen console. Because, unlike most other first parties that receive the walking simulator accusation, that's what Death Stranding actually is. It takes the concept to nearly its fullest extent, but I just don't find it tantalizing.

And what we "saw" from Wolverine was from a build that's 2+ years old. Do you understand game development at all?
Look, Wolverine looks like it will be good (although if they somehow manage to apply SM2 level writing or get worse, I might have seriously have to consider skipping it). But the design bones of the game don't look as exciting as I would've liked.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Was it good or bad? I’m just saying this is good for everyone, especially if you like Xbox games but don’t necessarily want to choose between PlayStation or Xbox. You can pretty much have it all now, a PlayStation with Xbox produced games.

What I will miss is Xbox Live though, the 360 era was golden. It died with Xbox One because they messed around with game chat and forced people into parties etc and it stayed dead with the series console too. No one talks, no game chat fighting and arguing, it’s boring and lonely now.

I just hope that if I do get a PlayStation that any games currently supported for it, I should surely get to play them as they are part of my Xbox account?
I miss the days of playing Halo multiplayer at night after work on my 360 with other stoners mumbling ‘good game’ every half hour or so 😂 I actually do

I find the kill this way for ammo and this way for health mechanic annoying. Couldn’t get into the last one. Couldn’t take it anymore. I want pickups on the ground back!

Top Bottom