• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nationalism rearing ugly head in Japan with greater frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/05/23/national/nationalism-rearing-ugly-head-with-greater-frequency/#.UZ_bUNhCDGg
Angry protesters took to the streets Sunday in Tokyo’s Shin-Okubo district, home to many Korean shops and restaurants, describing the Korean residents there as “cockroaches” and calling for their immediate “extermination.”

It was only the latest in a series of anti-Korean rallies in the neighborhood that have grown more intense in the past few months.

Often spearheaded by the rightwing group Zainichi Tokken wo Yurusanai Shimin no Kai (Zaitokukai), which translates literally as a citizens’ group that won’t tolerate special privileges for Korean and Chinese residents in Japan, these protests have raised eyebrows, especially for their blatant racism and outright death threats.

Some experts say this trend reflects growing public anxiety about the rise of China and South Korea at a time when, despite the recent stock rise and weakening yen, regular people still feel mired in Japan’s economic malaise.

Organized by a different nationalist group, Sunday’s demonstration appeared to have been carefully orchestrated and few literal death threats were heard. Still, the bellicose rhetoric remained unabated, with some saying the Korean residents should be “Holocausted.”

A 25-year-old businessman from Tokyo who said he is a regular participant in such rallies said his repugnance toward Koreans emerged after finding what he described as the “ugly truth” two years ago while surfing the Internet.

“Korean residents in Japan are often using a Japanese alias, so even though they commit a crime, their real name won’t be made public,” the man, who asked that his name not be used, said, referring to the main theme of Sunday’s protest.

Another regular participant, a 36-year-old man who declined to give his name, justified the protests as an “appropriate way to defend Japan’s national interests,” and demanded “the media disclose real names of Korean criminals, otherwise Japanese people will be made a scapegoat for what they did.”

The territorial disputes that have recently flared up have fueled a burst of nationalist sentiment, Maeda said, with some people growing dismayed that the Japanese are being “stripped of their rights.”

Zaitokukai leader Makoto Sakurai and other nationalists have argued that Korean residents of Japan receive preferential treatment not granted to other foreigners. This includes being granted the status of permanent residence and allowed to go by a Japanese “alias.”

They say it’s ungrateful of the Koreans to take full advantage of these benefits and yet complain about Japan’s wartime aggression. Such “privileges” are glaring in the face of Japan’s current gloom, as seen in the high suicide rate and lackluster economic growth, they argue.

The rise in nationalism also can be seen on the Internet.

According to data compiled by the office of Kan Suzuki, an Upper House lawmaker from the Democratic Party of Japan, using Tribal Media House Inc.’s Internet search tool, online use of xenophobic language has been spiking in the past few months.

Among terms subject to its survey was “zainichi” (foreign residents of Japan), which, beyond its original meaning, is now being used by rightwing netizens as a derogative reference to Koreans residing in Japan. Daily use of the word zainichi on the Internet, which stood at 7,500 on Dec. 31, rocketed to 25,000 on April 1, according to Suzuki’s office.

Not surprising, and Abe has a domestic incentive to allow this party to ride this wave even though it certainly complicates their international relations.

I hope cooler heads prevail and Abe sees this faction of his party like the Tea Party should be viewed; a short term boost to a political party that ultimately proves destructive to the well being of the nation.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
is this an outlier though, or more of a common occurrence?

Generally real bad incidents are not that common. To my memory anyways of when Im actually paying attention this is the 2nd incident I remember that involves shin okubo. Last time there was actual violence involved.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
“Korean residents in Japan are often using a Japanese alias, so even though they commit a crime, their real name won’t be made public,” the man, who asked that his name not be used, said, referring to the main theme of Sunday’s protest.

Too funny

Atlagev

Maybe this has changed, but when I was there, *nobody* paid attention to these people. They would shout their nonsense from their trucks, and people would go on with their day. I hope this is still the case.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe this has changed, but when I was there, *nobody* paid attention to these people. They would shout their nonsense from their trucks, and people would go on with their day. I hope this is still the case.

It generally is. At least in public. People may be showing their true colors while online, but I imagine they are in the minority.

xbhaskarx

You'd think as wealthy industrialized democracies, Japan and South Korea could find some common ground and unite over the threats posed to both by North Korea and China, but nope... too much bad history.

Makoto

You'd think as wealthy industrialized democracies, Japan and South Korea could find some common ground and unite over the threats posed to both by North Korea and China, but nope... too much bad history.
With all of the aforementioned nations' heavily ingrained sense of pride, I have to wonder if they will ever be able to step past their history.

Cipherr

Can they even tell each other apart?

fnGWntG.gif

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
That's kind of racist.

Some of them can't, lots of Japanese have had children with Koreans, and vice-versa.
I read somewhere on Prof. Hirohito's blog.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It does sound racist, but I think it's valid. I mean, sure there are certain looks attributed to Japanese people and Korean people, but there are definitely Korean people who look more "Japanese" and Japanese people who look more "Korean," etc. It's kind of like how if a French or German person were walking around London, they may easily be mistaken for a native English person.

Can they even tell each other apart?

Easily. It's the hybrids that are a lot more difficult to identify; more often than not you'd consider them under the generalized "Asian" umbrella like you do in America.

And by hybrids I meant Asian mixes like Chinese-Korean, Japanese-Korean and Japanese-Chinese offspring.

The mainland Chinese look, for example, is very distinctive. Even in a country like Malaysia or Singapore which has a sizeable naturalised Chinese community, you can easily distinguish between a mainland Chinese student from China coming to study and a Malaysian or Singaporean Chinese citizen, born and bred in their respective nation. It's quite obvious.

I think they look more different than like Americans and Canadians for example. They could obviously tell from their name and possibly their accent.

umm, what? are you just thinking about white Americans/Canadians now?

Cuz this is even more racist than the other poster's comment

Natetan

What is wrong with that girl? Zainichi are in Japan because most of then were forced to come from then annexed Korea. After the war no one would give them citizenship so the special permanent residency they have is to prevent statelessness basically.

This is an extreme minority. I don't hunk most Japanese people have this kind of dislike for Korea. China maybe a little bit but not Korea really.

Korean cultural products have fallen in popularity by something like 50% in the last year. When I lived in Japan, I would have NEVER thought this would happen.

showx

Banned
Easily. It's the hybrids that are a lot more difficult to identify; more often than not you'd consider them under the generalized "Asian" umbrella like you do in America.

And by hybrids I meant Asian mixes like Chinese-Korean, Japanese-Korean and Japanese-Chinese offspring.

The mainland Chinese look, for example, is very distinctive. Even in a country like Malaysia or Singapore which has a sizeable naturalised Chinese community, you can easily distinguish between a mainland Chinese student from China coming to study and a Malaysian or Singaporean Chinese citizen, born and bred in their respective nation. It's quite obvious.

Seriously? Mind blown.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Korean cultural products have fallen in popularity by something like 50% in the last year. When I lived in Japan, I would have NEVER thought this would happen.

There were a lot of widely reported issues since then. Primarily the Korean president landing on the disputed islands and also saying that the current Emperor should apologize to Korea, etc。

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What is wrong with that girl? Zainichi are in Japan because most of then were forced to come from then annexed Korea. After the war no one would give them citizenship so the special permanent residency they have is to prevent statelessness basically.

This is an extreme minority. I don't hunk most Japanese people have this kind of dislike for Korea. China maybe a little bit but not Korea really.

The argument I frequently see is that the special permanent residency status wasn't meant to be carried over across multiple generations.

t26

Well thats because China itself is very diverse. It is not too hard to tell the differences between someone from Beijing and someone from the south. You would have a harder time telling the difference between a Fujian Chinese and a Fujian Malaysia Chinese.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
We had a discussion about this a while back. I don't think its an unreasonable comment that it is difficult to distinguish between people from South East Asia.

I've been watching a lot of Japanese tokusatsu (live action SFX) shows lately, and I actually do find myself, when I first start a show, getting some of the characters mixed up. This isn't out of malice or any racial prejudice, I guess I'm just not good with faces.

I notice this happens more so with older shows though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom