• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nationalism rearing ugly head in Japan with greater frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well thats because China itself is very diverse. It is not too hard to tell the differences between someone from Beijing and someone from the south. You would have a harder time telling the difference between a Fujian Chinese and a Fujian Malaysia Chinese.

Yeah, I was keeping it relatively simple in my example. Historically speaking, a majority of the descendants of Chinese who emigrated from China to Malaysia, for example, came from a small number of provinces, which rather limited the pool. The situation that brought them over to Malaysia, was unique, in that it was at the behest of the British, who were the colonial masters of Malaysia at the time.

After many generations, they are now almost culturally and genetically distinct from their forbears in China, although certain beliefs and traditions are still loosely abided by, not so much by the younger generation.

E.g. Chinese New Year, Chap Goh Mei, the Hungry Ghost Festival, the burning of jossticks and shrines outside one's home to honor your ancestors, etc.

Easily. It's the hybrids that are a lot more difficult to identify; more often than not you'd consider them under the generalized "Asian" umbrella like you do in America.

And by hybrids I meant Asian mixes like Chinese-Korean, Japanese-Korean and Japanese-Chinese offspring.

The mainland Chinese look, for example, is very distinctive. Even in a country like Malaysia or Singapore which has a sizeable naturalised Chinese community, you can easily distinguish between a mainland Chinese student from China coming to study and a Malaysian or Singaporean Chinese citizen, born and bred in their respective nation. It's quite obvious.

Zerg and Protoss?
kidding.
but seriously, there seem to be a lot right-wing groups rising around the world all with a smilar message.

I remember seeing a doc on North Korean supporters living in Japan. They have their own schools and their own way of life. They still hope NK will rise up and conquer Japan. They had detractors and nationalist groups protesting against them. Even then there was still support and protection from many Japanese residents who live around them. It was incredibly odd to know something like that existed in Japan.

There were a lot of widely reported issues since then. Primarily the Korean president landing on the disputed islands and also saying that the current Emperor should apologize to Korea, etc。

Yeah, Zef. Takeshima is the heart of it. I read a Japanese NP, and the top headlines are always fear-mongering regarding China, DPRK, and lately RoK. Also, stories about nationalistic statements/public trends in said countries.

What's your feel with the 維新政党・新風? I had never heard of them until about two years ago, and it seems like 'restoration' politicians/spokespersons are in the news all the time lately. Are they being taken seriously?

Japan is one of the only highly-developed nations whose citizens remain for the most part ethnically and culturally homogeneous (I think so, anyway. I'm not an expert). A lot of opponents of multicultural policy in Europe and elsewhere often point to Japan as a success story, but I wonder if this brings it's own issues with it when it comes to awareness and acceptance of other cultures?

Japan has always had a strong undercurrent of nationalism. I think you can even see it in videogames. So many non Japanese games can be successful all around the world but will fail in Japan.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I remember seeing a doc on North Korean supporters living in Japan. They have their own schools and their own way of life. They still hope NK will rise up and conquer Japan. They had detractors and nationalist groups protesting against them. Even then there was still support and protection from many Japanese residents who live around them. It was incredibly odd to know something like that existed in Japan.

I don't know about the "hoping that NK rises up and conquers Japan," but there are definitely North Korean-run schools. They are actually generally run by this organization: Chongryon.

It's often been suspected assisting North Korean acts of espionage, sending money and resources back to North Korea, and helping the smuggling of drugs into Japan from North Korea.

On top of that, they receive funding from the Japanese government. Although recently there has been a lot of talk to cut this funding. I think there was even a bill proposed in the Diet recently to do so.

delirium

Them saying Koreans are preferred is freaking ridiculous. There are Korean families in Japan that have lived there for decades (if not a century) who still do not have Japanese citizenship because the gov't won't give it to them.

KuGsj.gif

What the hell?

The rant that goes along with it too:

Uploaded on Feb 10, 2010
Gaijin(foreigner)is so arrogant.

You foreigners can work at Japan, study and play.
but it's not your rights.
this is japan,our country.
not yours.
you are not a member of our society.

It's special special favor from us.
Please dont misunderstand it.
All foreigners must think about the importance of showing respect & gratitude for japan.
Surprisingly many foreigners have a mistaken sense of superiority that can push japanese people.
because we Japanese spoilt the foreigner too much.
we'll be only scoffed at by them.
Now,we need to say clearly to silly foreigners.
Remember your place!
BAKA GAIJIN!
thankyou

Them saying Koreans are preferred is freaking ridiculous. There are Korean families in Japan that have lived there for decades (if not a century) who still do not have Japanese citizenship because the gov't won't give it to them.

Not even if they're born there? That's a bit harsh.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Do you have any examples of this?

Knowing a few former "zainichi" who naturalized to Japan, they told me it wasn't particularly difficult. Just a bunch of paperwork and waiting. That's only anecdotal, though, so I don't know.

Also anecdotal, but I have heard that such Koreans who do decide to naturalize are often ostracized from their communities for becoming Japanese.

genjiZERO

I went to a talk the other day on Japanese abductees by North Korea and they addressed this issue. Apparently, a large part of the problem is that the North Korean government makes threats against these people's families.

Is this their version of venting their frustrating at Korea after Korea kicked out japanese citizens out of Korea after the end of WWII?

delirium

Do you have any examples of this?

Knowing a few former "zainichi" who naturalized to Japan, they told me it wasn't particularly difficult. Just a bunch of paperwork and waiting. That's only anecdotal, though, so I don't know.

Also anecdotal, but I have heard that such Koreans who do decide to naturalize are often ostracized from their communities for becoming Japanese.

No. I don't have any first hand knowledge; but from my reading that it required many things (like the fact that they have to change their Korean names to a Japanese one). This might be a biased view coming from someone in America but it seems to be the requirements to become a citizens are high. The fact that a family who live in Japan for a decades and if they had a child, that child isn't automatically a Japanese citizen is just strange.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No. I don't have any first hand knowledge; but from my reading that it required many things (like the fact that they have to change their Korean names to a Japanese one). This might be a biased view coming from someone in America but it seems to be the requirements to become a citizens are high. The fact that a family who live in Japan for a decades and if they had a child, that child isn't automatically a Japanese citizen is just strange.

Why is it strange? Plenty of countries don't give citizenship to children of foreign parents just because they were born in the country. Furthermore, Japan doesn't recognize dual citizenship.

I know there isn't a requirement to change their name to a Japanese one, but I think there is a requirement to register a name in the Japanese script.

I don't think "nationalism" is the right word to use for disgusting race riots.

A lot of Koreans and Chinese have been there for generations, and are there because the Japanese brought them there. If they can't be allowed to eventually integrate several generations down by some shitty fringe group that is incredibly sad.

As sickening as this is, I recently learned the extent to which this really is a very vocal minority. Anyone who has lived in Japan will have seen these guys driving around in big black Jeeps and whatnot blasting nationalistic bullshit out over megaphones. My lab head (or sensei if you prefer...) explained that most of those involved in these rallies are just young no-hopers and yakuza hired by politicians. If you were to actually stop these guys in the street and argue with them you wouldn't be likely to get the same response you would by stopping Neonazis in Europe. They would probably wet themselves and have no response.

Edit: She also told me that part of the whole reason the campaigns operate in this way, driving through areas known to have a high Korean presence, is because the different nationalities can't usually be told apart based on looks. Its a racism that has nothing to do with appearance and there's just these few idiots who hate the idea of 'clandestine' Koreans and Chinese living in 'their' country.

umm, what? are you just thinking about white Americans/Canadians now?

Cuz this is even more racist than the other poster's comment

I'm not talking about any race, I'm talking about countries. If an American came to Canada I wouldn't be able to tell what country he is from. Japan is different because it's an old country that doesnt see as much immigration, so I imagine they can tell the foreign people easily. America and Canada's culture isn't that different, but from what I understand Korea's and Japan's is different enough it would be hard for them to move there unnoticed.

I'm not talking about any race, I'm talking about countries. If an American came to Canada I wouldn't be able to tell what country he is from. Japan is different because it's an old country that doesnt see as much immigration, so I imagine they can tell the foreign people easily. America and Canada's culture isn't that different, but from what I understand Korea's and Japan's is different enough it would be hard for them to move there unnoticed.

Even though people have said there is a difference in physical features (and there often is), many Koreans and Chinese DO go unnoticed in Japan. Sometimes people don't even pick up on an accent. I'm not sure what you mean with regards to culture, but unless they visited the person's home I doubt it's something people would notice. There is a bit of a stereotype about Koreans and Chinese being rude/ blunt though, but if they can speak the language well enough to go unnoticed they've probably picked up on culture ques enough to know how to speak to Japanese people.

Even though people have said there is a difference in physical features (and there often is), many Koreans and Chinese DO go unnoticed in Japan. Sometimes people don't even pick up on an accent. I'm not sure what you mean with regards to culture, but unless they visited the person's home I doubt it's something people would notice. There is a bit of a stereotype about Koreans and Chinese being rude/ blunt though, but if they can speak the language well enough to go unnoticed they've probably picked up on culture ques enough to know how to speak to Japanese people.

Well whatever the reason, be it physical or whatever, I don't think it's easier for Japanese people to know if you weren't born there than it would be for say Americans or Canadians. That was my point when he said "can they tell each other apart"

OatmealMu

Reminds me of a video I came across a while back. I think it was... a group of Australians onboard a train. Following this group was a Japanese person that most definitely did not want them there. I don't recall how the animosity started but it was there. Anyway, they're on the train and the Japanese guy is giving them the stink eye. But he's got this "I spend all my time on 2ch hating foreigners" look to him. Without his computer screen protecting him the prospect of physical violence is very real and he knows it. So, at some point, one of the Australians goes up and talks to him. Fast forward to later in the day and the Japanese guy and Australians are at a bar drinking because I don't fucking know.

Wish I could find that video again. I'd also like to find the series of videos where an exchange student from (again) Australia slowly becomes disenfranchised with Japan. Eventually, he rebels against his host family, moves in with his girlfriends' family and then... I don't know. I stopped watching after that.

Madness

is this an outlier though, or more of a common occurrence?

The way China keep antagonizing them, it'll become a common occurrence. Japan is also in a dire economic crisis. It suffers from a low birthrate, numerous challenges etc. It's populace is frustrated and it perceives slights from China with increasingly hardline responses.

I imagine if the issues with China aren't settled you will see Japan revoke it's renunciation of war clause and actively start promoting it's military for more than just defence.

Another thing you have to remember, unlike Germany, Japan was largely forgiven for its aggressions during world War II without them taking responsibility for their war crimes. So most Japanese grow up without ever thinking about what they did, why it was bad and why Koreans and Chinese haven't forgotten.

so if an asian-american comes to canada, you would assume he's american and not think he's from asia?

It's weird that a group of people would blame a group that probably doesn't even make up 1 or 2% of Japan's total population for Japan's current economic confusion.

There were a lot of widely reported issues since then. Primarily the Korean president landing on the disputed islands and also saying that the current Emperor should apologize to Korea, etc。

I remember that! He said that if the Emperor wanted to visit Korea, he would have to make a public apology to the surviving members of the Korean independence movement 'from the bottom of his heart.' lol, In a matter of months from the post soccer game taunt to the apology demand, I think a whole generation of Japanese quickly soured of Korea.

I think it's a pride thing. Japanese people don't like the feeling of being seen as inferior by West European peoples, but they have 0 tolerance for it from Asian people. Did you hear what that guy's complaint was in the "white pig go home" video? It wasn't that white people were bad for Japan, or that they were hurting their society... he was mad because he felt white people look down on Japan, probably about WWII or something. Who knows? I'm so far removed from that culture I don't know WHAT is going on anymore.

Less than 0.75% of citizens in Nazi Germany were Jewish.

500,000, right? I remember when people who are pro-gun were posting things on Facebook that if the jews had guns, they would have stopped the holocaust. There are about 20 things wrong with that statement, huh?

As sickening as this is, I recently learned the extent to which this really is a very vocal minority. Anyone who has lived in Japan will have seen these guys driving around in big black Jeeps and whatnot blasting nationalistic bullshit out over megaphones. My lab head (or sensei if you prefer...) explained that most of those involved in these rallies are just young no-hopers and yakuza hired by politicians. If you were to actually stop these guys in the street and argue with them you wouldn't be likely to get the same response you would by stopping Neonazis in Europe. They would probably wet themselves and have no response.

Edit: She also told me that part of the whole reason the campaigns operate in this way, driving through areas known to have a high Korean presence, is because the different nationalities can't usually be told apart based on looks. Its a racism that has nothing to do with appearance and there's just these few idiots who hate the idea of 'clandestine' Koreans and Chinese living in 'their' country.

Yup. This has been going on since the 70s - these megaphone "nationalism" trucks. And yes, they are usually manned by low-level chimpiras (basically "punks" hoping to be Yakuza) who have absolutely zero conception of politics.

Jarmel

Banned
The whole thing is screwed up. Koreans who have been there for generations still don't have the right to vote despite paying taxes and have to deal with shit like this. It's absolutely insane.

Zoc

The whole thing is screwed up. Koreans who have been there for generations still don't have the right to vote despite paying taxes and have to deal with shit like this. It's absolutely insane.

They could be citizens if they wanted, but they would have to give up their Korean citizenship to do it, and they don't want to. Fair enough really, I live in Japan and I sure as hell don't want to give up my Canadian citizenship, especially when literally the only benefit would be the right to vote in (meaningless) elections.

Anyway, I really don't understand the point of this protest. If Korean-Japanese people commit crimes, wouldn't you want it reported with their Japanese names, considering those are the names they use at work and in everyday life? Or are these people so far gone that they imagine half the crimes reported in the paper to have been committed by Korean-Japanese?

i-Lo

News like these are becoming more frequent from Greece and Japan. This is worrisome. I guess, unless people actually start getting killed as a result the most of the rest of the world will remain apathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom