• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Native 4K at 30 FPS requires a 7.4 TFLOPS GPU – AMD Developer

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
What's misleading? it says that it's the opening cinematic in the post you replied to , also what would they be playing this in 8K with? (Like 6 PS4 Pros) it's clearly just a video
Yes sorry i meant to put the title is a little misleading and then you read down and see it's just the opening cinematic, btw you don't need 6 Ps4 Pros to connect to the 8k tv like i don't need 4 standard Ps4 to connect to a 4k tv :D I just thought maybe they were showing a game on the tv amongst other things, thats all.

Last edited:

onQ123

Yes sorry i meant to put the title is a little misleading and then you read down and see it's just the opening cinematic, btw you don't need 6 Ps4 Pros to connect to the 8k tv like i don't need 4 standard Ps4 to connect to a 4k tv :D I just thought maybe they were showing a game on the tv amongst other things, thats all.

I said that because GT Sport is 1800P so it would take more than 4 PS4 Pros for a daisy chain 8K GT Sport. I don't have GT Sport so I'm out of the loop, can you hook a few PS4s or PS4 Pros together to run in 4K, 6K , 8K & so on with multi monitors like in the past?

I was in the beta but can't remember if I looked in the menu to see if I could hook up multi PS4s

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I said that because GT Sport is 1800P so it would take more than 4 PS4 Pros for a daisy chain 8K GT Sport. I don't have GT Sport so I'm out of the loop, can you hook a few PS4s or PS4 Pros together to run in 4K, 6K , 8K & so on with multi monitors like in the past?

I was in the beta but can't remember if I looked in the menu to see if I could hook up multi PS4s
I don't think so, i never knew you could do it in the past. Did that require special software and cables etc ?

magnumpy

well last gen (PS4 gen) was all about 1080p. still some games will use a dynamic resolution and end up sub 1080p.

I expect next gen will see something similar. 4k won't be guaranteed across the board.

still, better is better.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I think native 1800p in GT Sport is above the PS4 Pro's capabilities. Concerning it's resolution on PS4 Pro Digital Foundry stated, "GT Sport operates at 1800p using checkboard rendering." That would be equivalent to 1600x1800 resolution, with native 4K HUD elements. Is this about how many PS4 Pros it would take to render 8K native, or 8K checkerboarded?

onQ123

I don't think so, i never knew you could do it in the past. Did that require special software and cables etc ?

I know it can be done on PS3 & Xbox 360 I'm not sure if they have added the feature to GT Sport or any of the Xbox One Forza games though.

My loft set-up includes 3 x 39" Panasonic TVs, as well as 3 x PS3s of course. Me driving a Mini and Formula car.

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6-multi-screen-demo-revealed-in-japan/
5-80-inch-HDTVs-gt5.jpg

At the Fukuoka Motor Show in Fukuoka, Japan (home to Polyphony Digital’s new headquarters), a new version of Gran Turismo 6 was available, revealing multi-screen display support.

Multi-screen compatability has, of course, been a feature of previous games, going all the way back to GT4. Although it was not included at launch for GT5, it was introduced later via updates, in version 1.06, and it appears the story will be much the same for GT6.

GT5 actually supports up to 5 external displays, to create an particularly dramatic and immersive experience, as recently demonstrated by enterprising university students.

Keep in mind that, in addition to multiple TVs, multiple PlayStation consoles and copies of the game are required to drive these multi-screen setups, and this is not likely to change for GT6.

For more information and discussion on the technical requirements to set up your own multi-screen rig, check out this comprehensive setup guide here in our forums.

Gander

Banned
I'm not convinced we need 4k gaming someone would have to show me why. I'm tired of look how clean the polygons are without any fun being behind it.

thelastword

Banned
I'm not convinced we need 4k gaming someone would have to show me why. I'm tired of look how clean the polygons are without any fun being behind it.
I think we will get both, to me PC devs are just not moving the industry forward anymore, it's the console devs which are really pushing visuals atm with much lower specced kit at that...Look at what we're getting from Sony first party with a Jaguar CPU and a 1.84TF GPU. Now imagine these guys having a 8c/16t Ryzen CPU with a mega-tonne higher IPC and a beastly GPU, things will definitely be the most balanced hardwarewise next gen....So, you want breathtaking experiences? I see A.I, physics, LOD, Draw Distance, NPC's, Verticality, Animation, Sound will take a huge leap next gen besides the graphics...So we know faces will look great, we know world density and detail will be crazy and that textures and lighting will be unreal, but these devs now have the CPU to push some crazy experiences not before seen on account of a really powerful CPU.....So it may be the perfect marriage of graphics and gameplay, where 60fps will be a more common denominator....it's a win win...

Last edited:

Eteric Rice

I think we will get both, to me PC devs are just not moving the industry forward anymore, it's the console devs which are really pushing visuals atm with much lower specced kit at that...Look at what we're getting from Sony first party with a Jaguar CPU and a 1.84TF GPU. Now imagine these guys having a 8c/16t Ryzen CPU with a mega-tonne higher IPC and a beastly GPU, things will definitely be the most balanced hardwarewise next gen....So, you want breathtaking experiences? I see A.I, physics, LOD, Draw Distance, NPC's, Verticality, Animation, Sound will take a huge leap next gen besides the graphics...So we know faces will look great, we know world density and detail will be crazy and that textures and lighting will be unreal, but these devs now have the CPU to push some crazy experiences not before seen on account of a really powerful CPU.....So it may be the perfect marriage of graphics and gameplay, where 60fps will be a more common denominator...

You know, you say this but I bet it's going to be mostly the same type of games we get these days but better looking. I think people are over estimating how powerful the next gen systems will be. They'll be powerful, but they also have to fit in a small case, not overheat, and be around $399 or less. Still a good boost over this gen, but I think people are expecting a bit much.

magnumpy

I think we will get both, to me PC devs are just not moving the industry forward anymore, it's the console devs which are really pushing visuals atm with much lower specced kit at that...Look at what we're getting from Sony first party with a Jaguar CPU and a 1.84TF GPU. Now imagine these guys having a 8c/16t Ryzen CPU with a mega-tonne higher IPC and a beastly GPU, things will definitely be the most balanced hardwarewise next gen....So, you want breathtaking experiences? I see A.I, physics, LOD, Draw Distance, NPC's, Verticality, Animation, Sound will take a huge leap next gen besides the graphics...So we know faces will look great, we know world density and detail will be crazy and that textures and lighting will be unreal, but these devs now have the CPU to push some crazy experiences not before seen on account of a really powerful CPU.....So it may be the perfect marriage of graphics and gameplay, where 60fps will be a more common denominator....it's a win win...

well todays uber powerful mega specced out machine is just a toaster in a few years. PC devs are doing their part, but with games costing so much to develop these days there is a lot of gray area and crossover between what could be considered a "PC dev" and a "console dev." perhaps it's better to just think of all these people as "video game developers" platform be damned, because most of these titles get ported to all of the various platforms anyway.

onQ123

Do you need 4K to have fun gaming? nope! but you also didn't need more than a Atari to have fun gaming at one point people was happy with it until better systems came out with better graphics & bigger games.

You say fun isn't being added but 4K does make media more enjoyable you will watch movies /videos just to look at them in 4K & get caught up in looking around in games .

If 4K isn't making you enjoy little things in movies games I think it's going to hit you when 8K becomes mainstream the smaller the pixels become the more connected you feel when you're looking into the TV because the TV disappear & it start to feel more like you're looking into the scene . 4K let you get closer to your TV & get more immersed.

Last edited:

llien

What is there to doubt?

nVidia graphics chips are smaller, have higher performance per flop, lower bandwidth requirements, use less power and clock much higher compared to AMD. It's not feasible for AMD to close the gap between nVidia any time soon.

Polaris vs 1060 difference ain't that big, however and "higher clock speed" argument is as relevant as in Prescott P4 vs Athlon context.

Vega was an experiment that didn't work that well, nVidia likely has a bunch of them, it's just, we don't see them, past Fermi times, as nVidia can afford to have parallel projects and just pick one that is works the best.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I also have an OLED, and it has solid upscaling. Whatever the TV, however, that viewing distance combined with that size makes a good 4K experience.

This chart from rtings.com explains it nicely:

Man this rubbish fucking chart really grinds my gears anytime I see it or any of its clones, I swear the people that did these originally didn't have pure 4K to compare to or are just deadset blind. The difference between 4K and 1080p at distances where they say you can't tell any difference is night and day.

onQ123

I think we will either get a 9TF PS5 that's based around true 4K or we will get a 14 - 15TF PS5 that's going to have checkerboard/other cheap rendering tricks pushing up to 8K.

Maybe hardware accelerated uprezing for PS4 games.

Being that PS4 Pro is the 4K PS4 means that for PS5 to be called PS5 it will have to bring something new to the table to separate it form PS4 Pro. Standard VR or something 4K can't be used as it's selling point.

sadaiyappan

I think if you checker board games will look much better at 4K30 at 12 tf. If they go for native 4K too much power gets used for resolution.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Most tvs don't have and probably won't have great motion resolution for some time so dynamic resolution in games is good because frame drops tend to happen in movement i.e. you wouldn't see the increased detail when moving/looking quickly anyway. There's no need for locked native 4k in my opinion. I have been playing games in 4k with a GTX 1070 Ti and they look great but I wish more pc games would have the dynamic resolution option so I could get more than 30-40fps avg with dips into 20s.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Man this rubbish fucking chart really grinds my gears anytime I see it or any of its clones, I swear the people that did these originally didn't have pure 4K to compare to or are just deadset blind. The difference between 4K and 1080p at distances where they say you can't tell any difference is night and day.

It also only applies to video. Games obviously benefit enormously by having higher resolution geometry etc that you can see easily from a distance

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Do you have data or a study to back your assertion? From 10 feet away do you think you could tell the difference with 60" screen assuming the game had decent AA? The human eye even at 20/20 cannot resolve small features from a distance.

Eteric Rice

Do you have data or a study to back your assertion? From 10 feet away do you think you could tell the difference with 60" screen assuming the game had decent AA? The human eye even at 20/20 cannot resolve small features from a distance.

I think there are tech heads that would argue you can, but weather you REALLY can is something else entirely. It's kind of like the sound guys that buy crazy equipment for sound quality while normal people can't tell the difference. I'd argue that if you game on PC, or sit close to your TV, you can probably tell. If you're sitting far back in a couch or something, you won't be able to tell and if you can tell it won't be a huge difference.

Last edited:

aevanhoe

Hey, you don't have to convince me, I see the difference clearly. But I also know that a lot of people either don't or don't care. I remember when I replaced my iMac with a Retina 5K iMac. Even though you look at that screen up close, I know a lot of people who said they don't really see a difference. No idea.

I certainly see a difference between 4K and 1080p at various distances.

Reallink

Hey, you don't have to convince me, I see the difference clearly. But I also know that a lot of people either don't or don't care. I remember when I replaced my iMac with a Retina 5K iMac. Even though you look at that screen up close, I know a lot of people who said they don't really see a difference. No idea.

I certainly see a difference between 4K and 1080p at various distances.

1080p Vs. 4K should be obvious to everyone, only people with extreme viewing distances or uncorrected vision will have problems discerning a difference. Where it starts to become dubious is when you have titles with blur inducing AA (TAA, FXAA, or TAA + FXAA) running at 1440p or greater. Since it softens native 4K pretty considerably and effectively eliminates jaggies completely in lower resolutions, you really have to be at an optimal distance and sometimes even side by side to pick out the differences.

Last edited:
Top Bottom