• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nature: Quantum computers ready to leap out of the lab in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-...t-of-the-lab-in-2017-1.21239?cookies=accepted

Quantum computing has long seemed like one of those technologies that are 20 years away, and always will be. But 2017 could be the year that the field sheds its research-only image.

Computing giants Google and Microsoft recently hired a host of leading lights, and have set challenging goals for this year. Their ambition reflects a broader transition taking place at start-ups and academic research labs alike: to move from pure science towards engineering.

Google started working on a form of quantum computing that harnesses superconductivity in 2014. It hopes this year, or shortly after, to perform a computation that is beyond even the most powerful ‘classical’ supercomputers — an elusive milestone known as quantum supremacy. Its rival, Microsoft, is betting on an intriguing but unproven concept, topological quantum computing, and hopes to perform a first demonstration of the technology.

Academic labs are at a similar point. “We have demonstrated all the components and all the functions we need,” says Schoelkopf, who continues to run a group racing to build a quantum computer at Yale. Although plenty of physics experiments still need to be done to get components to work together, the main challenges are now in engineering, he and other researchers say. The quantum computer with the most qubits so far — 20 — is being tested in an academic lab led by Rainer Blatt at the University of Innsbruck in Austria.

Basically, we are potentially very close to seeing indisputably quantum computing used outside the lab. The potential benefits extend to interesting places, for example, deep learning.

Cool stuff and this is a nice article, you should read it

I know the research and commercial-scale benefits of quantum computing are vast, but, when would we see a reasonably-priced PQC (personal quantum computer)? 2030? 2040?

EDIT: I should add that my question above assumes 2017 is the year we see functioning engineering, not just research-based stuff.

V_Arnold

I know the research and commercial-scale benefits of quantum computing are vast, but, when would we see a reasonably-priced PQC (personal quantum computer)? 2030? 2040?

Definitely earlier. The moment this becomes production-ready, Google, Amazon and Microsoft will rush to get them for their cloud-based projects (whatever the f they are at that moment). Which means production R&D will be eaten up by these giants mostly, and from that point, it will be about figuring out how to actually use them in any clientside program in a way that warrants that increased pricetag.

Apple Q for $3000 in your hand, in 2022? You bet.

Am not sure civilisation can cope with these machines out in the wild.

Think of the hackers, or consider what everybody has to do first to protect themselves when they are going against PC's light-years ahead of theirs and somebody who is intent on cracking your OS.

It's likr giving everybody cars that can drive at 3000mph and go from 0 to 3000 in fractions of a second.

Carnage.

Kayhan

Becomes self aware, asks humanity "what the fuck are you doing?"

image.php

AI: "So hoomans, I have been watching these recent documentaries, Ex Machina and Westworld and I have some questions...."

LuffyZoro

Am not sure civilisation can cope with these machines out in the wild.

Think of the hackers, or consider what everybody has to do first to protect themselves when they are going against PC's light-years ahead of theirs and somebody who is intent on cracking your OS.

It's likr giving everybody cars that can drive at 3000mph and go from 0 to 3000 in fractions of a second.

Carnage.

That's... not how quantum computers work.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Quantum computing is one of those things where I say: I'll believe it when I'll see it.

It's a lot closer than you think and know I wasn't crazy years ago when I talked about some of my software solutions to pair with the hardware that will inevitably come.

Definitely to some jaw droppers at the acceleration of it when it hits within the next decade.

Well the security community better get on top of things very very very quickly. Or if this gets into the wrong hands almost all forms we have of encryption currently are potentially useless against them.

Definitely earlier. The moment this becomes production-ready, Google, Amazon and Microsoft will rush to get them for their cloud-based projects (whatever the f they are at that moment). Which means production R&D will be eaten up by these giants mostly, and from that point, it will be about figuring out how to actually use them in any clientside program in a way that warrants that increased pricetag.

Apple Q for $3000 in your hand, in 2022? You bet.

OK so the other important question, will my 2500k last me until then!?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
How will this affect humanity? I know it won't make our computers necessarily faster, but it will make us better at certain tasks.

What types of tasks? Will this be a net gain?

Hoping someone is more knowledgeable than I am. I worked with a professor who did quantum computing and was always fascinated by his ideas.

commedieu

Banned
So the Military already has it then...
How will this affect humanity? I know it won't make our computers necessarily faster, but it will make us better at certain tasks.

What types of tasks? Will this be a net gain?

Hoping someone is more knowledgeable than I am. I worked with a professor who did quantum computing and was always fascinated by his ideas.

The net gain is going to be faster computing...for sure.

We calculate based on 0 and 1. Quantum machines will be able to do fractions between 0 and 1. Someone more knowledgeable (nerdddddddsss) Can explain it more. But its definitely going to speed things up quite significantly.

EDIT, looking into it, it uses a thing called quidbits... again.. no idea whats going on, but its going to be a benifit over traditional binary..

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
So the Military already has it then...

The net gain is going to be faster computing...for sure.

We calculate based on 0 and 1. Quantum machines will be able to do fractions between 0 and 1. Someone more knowledgeable (nerdddddddsss) Can explain it more. But its definitely going to speed things up quite significantly.

Maybe I misphrased it. From my understanding, it will only speed up very particular types of tasks.

commedieu

Banned
Maybe I misphrased it. From my understanding, it will only speed up very particular types of tasks.

I thought -- it was going to change the way we do binary. I mistakenly said fractions between 0 and 1, but it seems to be more to it than that -- "qubits" -- having something to do with the state of 0 and 1.

I'm stopping from contributing now, as I'm sure someone on GAF knows how to explain it.

Google is working on a quantum machine, they had a doc on Youtube. thats where I'm getting my information from. Its about the size of a room currently.. They seemed to sell it on speed of calculations that would take X time... would take Y time with quantum processing.

Calabi

EDIT: I should add that my question above assumes 2017 is the year we see functioning engineering, not just research-based stuff.

This may be one case where its too dangerous to let the wider public get their hands on them.

I wonder how far away we are from quantum computers being able to crack any current encryption system within nanoseconds. I wonder what that means for all the security we have in the world thats based on the idea that cracking a 256 (etc) bit encoding would take a regular computer years or longer.

I do love how 'Quantum Supremacy' sounds like an amalgam Bourne/007 movie.

Yea, Google so far has Microsoft beat on the cool name part, which is the most important piece of the equation. Microsoft marketing department has to counter.

This will help in tackling society's biggest problems such as climate change (my field), medicine, and many others.

We could always use better climate models.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This will help in tackling society's biggest problems such as climate change (my field), medicine, and many others.

We could always use better climate models.

Nah we're just going to use it to better persecute minority groups like all of mankind's tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom