• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nature: Quantum computers ready to leap out of the lab in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I for one can't wait until we use quantum computing to simulate a world much like ours to watch them advance in technology at an advanced rate and then copy their tech.

I was thinking of exactly this last night at the gym!!

WEIRD.

zoku88

I for one can't wait until we use quantum computing to simulate a world much like ours to watch them advance in technology at an advanced rate and then copy their tech.
I find it unlikely that quantum computers would help with that. The speedup from using quantum algorithms is from things that require parallel calculations but you only need the answer from a single measurement like you do for the period finding algorithm

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I was thinking of exactly this last night at the gym!!

WEIRD.

I was partly inspired by Rick and Morty lol

I find it unlikely that quantum computers would help with that. The speedup from using quantum algorithms is from things that require parallel calculations but you only need the answer from a single measurement like you do for the period finding algorithm

I know some of these words!

Ichabod

Banned
Edit: beaten ;_;

With such amazing technology right around the corner, the possibilities of what mankind will be able to achieve are nigh limitless.

Uses it to make memes

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The better question would be: what the hell would you want to do with a personal quatum computer?

They work on a very different logic than current computers, and are theoretically only better at very specific thing normal people shouldn't have any interest in. It won't run Windows or your Internet browser faster.

That's true now. That's not to say you couldn't produce a version of Doom that takes advantage of such a computer's capabilities.

That data mining capability could greatly enhance an open world game with emergent game play possibilities.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How good would quantum computing be at attacking block chain encryption? Would it depend on the size of the ledger?

Man, technology is exciting.

Makai

That's true now. That's not to say you couldn't produce a version of Doom that takes advantage of such a computer's capabilities.

That data mining capability could greatly enhance an open world game with emergent game play possibilities.
What parts of Doom? It's a straight-forward, deterministic game as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom