• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog and Rockstar Animator joins Sony’s New Studio for an Unannounced Project

Shin

Banned
According to a publication by Quentin Cobb, creative who is part of the new studio, James Martinchek is the new signing for the AAA game that is in development, which is kept secret.

Raph64

I wonder if the secret game in question is in development for the PS5. Perhaps as a launch title maybe ?

Wait new studio? Why didnt I read anything about this? Had no clue.

I second this. Wasn’t aware of the existence of a new first-party studio over at Sony.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Anyone got a theory as to why the existence of this new team is freely shared including announcing new employees, but giving it a name is such a closely guarded secret?

Off the top of my head I would suggest something silly like having 'PS5' in the name but clearly that isn't happening. So what is going on?

Raph64

Anyone got a theory as to why the existence of this new team is freely shared including announcing new employees, but giving it a name is such a closely guarded secret?

Off the top of my head I would suggest something silly like having 'PS5' in the name but clearly that isn't happening. So what is going on?

I bet the name is... America Studio, I guess ? :messenger_confused:

ghairat

If you think about it. PS3 and PS4 launch titles were ok. Sure PS4 had Killzone shadowfall, but Sony needs to go all out on the launch tiles

Cosmogony

2019 has barely begun and there's been lots of activity already. Lots of high profile devs changing studios and mentions of new studios and studios acquisitions dating back to late 2018.

The new console generation is shifting into gear and shaping up promisingly.

Shin

Banned
It's been known for a year and this move doesn't list the name of the studio either.
But if you're going from ND and Rockstar then I assume it's some high-profile studio.
Transfer season is open it seems, new year and all as there are 3 threads with transfers ATM :)

nowhat

If you think about it. PS3 and PS4 launch titles were ok. Sure PS4 had Killzone shadowfall, but Sony needs to go all out on the launch tiles
HZD 2 will be a launch title for PS5. You can quote me on that.

(also, Guerrilla hiring +100 new people and moving to a new location with their own mo-cap studio just may indicate they're working on something)

ghairat

(also, Guerrilla hiring +100 new people and moving to a new location with their own mo-cap studio just may indicate they're working on something)

Yeah makes sense for studios to start working on next gen stuff.

May? Surely they were in pre-production of their next game during the last year of development of H:ZD and the majority of the studio of 270+ have been in full production for nearly 2 years now?

I doubt so many people could be sitting idle after completing H:ZD waiting a year for the design team to come up with the next game.....There is usually overlap.

The expansion of +150 people and a move to a new, bigger studio is on top of the above.

nowhat

May? Surely they were in pre-production of their next game during the last year of development of H:ZD and the majority of the studio of 270+ have been in full production for nearly 2 years now?
That "may" was meant as obvious sarcasm - but unfortunately, sarcasm seems to be lost frequently online without any smileys or "/s"-tags. Of course they've been working on something for quite a while now.

Just that, given the expansion of staff, and new location with an own mo-cap studio, and the fact that Shadow Fall was a launch title for PS4 leads me to believe that HZD 2 for PS5 launch is pretty much given.

thelastword

Banned
So people from other studios or even within SWWS move over to work with other studios or new teams. I thought that was a novel concept... :messenger_smirking:

People move over for a new experience, to work with other api's, for more money, for promotions. In which industry does any one want to do the same thing forever. With such a skill based job you need as much exposure and as much experience on different platforms and genres to keep yourself marketable and in the loop, even progressive.
Wait new studio? Why didnt I read anything about this? Had no clue.
Guerilla is setting up a new studio, but Sony has been expanding its major studios to several teams for a while now. They could have acquired some second party studio too however...... I think Sony will have lots to reveal this year and in early 2020......

That "may" was meant as obvious sarcasm - but unfortunately, sarcasm seems to be lost frequently online without any smileys or "/s"-tags. Of course they've been working on something for quite a while now.

Just that, given the expansion of staff, and new location with an own mo-cap studio, and the fact that Shadow Fall was a launch title for PS4 leads me to believe that HZD 2 for PS5 launch is pretty much given.

Sorry about that. Reading it back it does make more sense it being sarcasm though a simple '!' at the end of the part in brackets would have helped!

nowhat

Rockstar animator? :messenger_fearful:
Yeah, that's not a merit now is it :D

I'm eagerly awaiting for the next game from this studio - where the animations will be meticulously well done, but doing a basic action in a video game will take ages.

But hey, that's realism!!!one! Although, even in RDR2, picking up ammo happens immediately. You wouldn't want it any other way, because it would fuck up the gameplay even further. But otherwise... yeah, realism! You have ADHD if you actually want to play a game instead of watching scripted animation sequences every time you interact with your environment.

(Do I need a sarcasm tag here? I think that was blatant enough)

I second this. Wasn’t aware of the existence of a new first-party studio over at Sony.

Microsoft decided to make studio acquisitions and the founding of new studios a focal point of their marketing campaign. Sony didn't.
But Sony has been expanding its World Wide Studios at a similar pace.

GuerillaGames has practically doubled in size, now probably working on Horizon 2 and a First Person Shooter. Naughty Dog grew, tackling a new IP after The Last Of Us 2. And the unannounced studio mentioned in OP is probably slated to take on the Uncharted IP now that NaughtyDog is moving on. Bend grew as well, but that might not last depending on the success of Days Gone. Same thing for Sucker Punch with Ghost Of Tsushima.
Add to that seemingly long term exclusive 3rd party partnerships with Insomniac(we don't know much about the exclusivity deal between Sony and Marvel here, but I expect 2 or 3 games) as well as Kojima Productions(the fact that they use Guerillas Engine makes me think they will remain a part of the WWS family.)

I would even say that Sonys 1st party department grew faster than Microsofts over the past 2 years. They just focussed more on expanding existing teams and didn't talk about it much.

Last edited:

mejin

Studio will probably be revelead together with the game. They don't need to brag like MS because everyone knows about Sony Worldwide Studios.

ANIMAL1975

Secret sauce studio is very good news. Hype intensified for the future times ahead of us, these are great days to be a gamer my friends!

EDMIX

Microsoft decided to make studio acquisitions and the founding of new studios a focal point of their marketing campaign. Sony didn't.
But Sony has been expanding its World Wide Studios at a similar pace.

GuerillaGames has practically doubled in size, now probably working on Horizon 2 and a First Person Shooter. Naughty Dog grew, tackling a new IP after The Last Of Us 2. And the unannounced studio mentioned in OP is probably slated to take on the Uncharted IP now that NaughtyDog is moving on. Bend grew as well, but that might not last depending on the success of Days Gone. Same thing for Sucker Punch with Ghost Of Tsushima.
Add to that seemingly long term exclusive 3rd party partnerships with Insomniac(we don't know much about the exclusivity deal between Sony and Marvel here, but I expect 2 or 3 games) as well as Kojima Productions(the fact that they use Guerillas Engine makes me think they will remain a part of the WWS family.)

I would even say that Sonys 1st party department grew faster than Microsofts over the past 2 years. They just focussed more on expanding existing teams and didn't talk about it much.

"Microsoft decided to make studio acquisitions and the founding of new studios a focal point of their marketing campaign. Sony didn't. "

Well thats new to MS, that is normal to Sony. This is pretty much standard for them and business as usual which is why this is likely not surprising and not a big deal to them as in shout from the roof tops big deal.

That being said.....man I miss The Getaway series lol

Studio will probably be revelead together with the game. They don't need to brag like MS because everyone knows about Sony Worldwide Studios.

Well we know about the studio itself and clearly through job postings and photo ops of some hire's, Sony don't mind it being known. What they seem intent on, rather mysteriously IMO, is not allowing us to know what the name of the studio is.

I can only assume the name of the studio will literally give the game away? Or something similar.

Enjay

Banned
They haven't chosen a name for it yet is all. Also sounds looks like they're making another interactive movie. 😴

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Would have been something awesome to talk about at E3 or PSX, but......................yeah Sony doesn't think there's any reason to have those anymore. :messenger_angry:

zwiggelbig

I doubt so many people could be sitting idle after completing H:ZD waiting a year for the design team to come up with the next game.....There is usually overlap.

The expansion of +150 people and a move to a new, bigger studio is on top of the above.
I also think they might release a smaller game as a launch title

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
"Microsoft decided to make studio acquisitions and the founding of new studios a focal point of their marketing campaign. Sony didn't. "

Well thats new to MS, that is normal to Sony. This is pretty much standard for them and business as usual which is why this is likely not surprising and not a big deal to them as in shout from the roof tops big deal.

That being said.....man I miss The Getaway series lol

Isn't the Getaway VR game being released this year?
blood-and-truth-screen-05-ps4-eu-30oct17

blood-and-truth-building-shootout.jpg

blood-and-truth-screen-04-ps4-eu-30oct17

Three

Well we know about the studio itself and clearly through job postings and photo ops of some hire's, Sony don't mind it being known. What they seem intent on, rather mysteriously IMO, is not allowing us to know what the name of the studio is.

I can only assume the name of the studio will literally give the game away? Or something similar.
I bet it gives the technology or an acquisition away instead of the game name. Something related to VR, cloud or them acquiring an existing studio.

Would have been something awesome to talk about at E3 or PSX, but......................yeah Sony doesn't think there's any reason to have those anymore. :messenger_angry:

Just maybe there will be a huge 25th anniversary event sooner than many think? Would be a damn long wait till the usual end of year PSX.

Dabaus

Banned
I really hope this isn't an uncharted series game factory studio but I fear that's what it will be. I understand uncharted is a big PS franchise and that naughty dog would want to move on the new things though. Id like to see sony do the following:

-build or purchase a smaller Japanese RPG Studio. Cyber connect 2, or perhaps level 5 if they wanted a publisher.

-If nioh 2 is a hit buying koie tecmo might be a good decision. They have the rights to games like ninja gaiden and could be a competent souls esque studio should fromsoftware take a bribe from Microsoft.

-Kojima productions seems like an obvious pickup. Genuinely surprised this hasn't happened yet.

-Insomniac game, same as kojima productions

-Organize Japan studio so that they are real AAA studio and not making AA indie games,

I don't think that's too much of a tall order but im not their financial guy so who knows.

I really hope this isn't an uncharted series game factory studio but I fear that's what it will be. I understand uncharted is a big PS franchise and that naughty dog would want to move on the new things though. Id like to see sony do the following:

-build or purchase a smaller Japanese RPG Studio. Cyber connect 2, or perhaps level 5 if they wanted a publisher.

-If nioh 2 is a hit buying koie tecmo might be a good decision. They have the rights to games like ninja gaiden and could be a competent souls esque studio should fromsoftware take a bribe from Microsoft.

-Kojima productions seems like an obvious pickup. Genuinely surprised this hasn't happened yet.

-Organize Japan studio so that they are real AAA studio and not making AA indie games,

I don't think that's too much of a tall order but im not their financial guy so who knows.

Out of curiosity, how much do you think Level 5 and Koei Tecmo would cost? I don't mean exact numbers, but seriously, do you think they could afford both? Why would they even be on the market? This is giving me "Nintendo should buy Capcom" flashbacks.

thelastword

Banned
I really hope this isn't an uncharted series game factory studio but I fear that's what it will be. I understand uncharted is a big PS franchise and that naughty dog would want to move on the new things though. Id like to see sony do the following
I think Sand Diego is working on the new Uncharted game.....

I've said this myself before, I think Tecmo would be a good pick.....I'd also love for the game below to be remastered and for them to work on a sequel, there they could fix the issues they had with the first....It was a very competent TPS/Slasher hybrid btw...

Top Bottom