• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: Chance of a TLOU 2 is "50/50"; Sony gives us freedom of choice

I'm so torn on the thought of a sequel. This game has had more of an impact on me than most, and I felt the gameplay was "meh".

I grew attached to the characters. All of them. Even Tess. If there is to be a sequel, I would rather there be a prequel. I'm going to assume mild story spoilers are allowed in here, so don't read below if you haven't played Left Behind or the full story:

There is so much that can be done with Joel. Ellie stole the show, but he has a ton of scars that could be explained post-intro to the Last of Us. Left Behind left me with as many questions, emotions (mainly pain and frustration),and unanswered questions as the conclusion to the main story. Filling in those risks could be risky, extremely risky. But based on my confidence with them, and after watching the Grounded documentary, I feel I would be overly excited with what they did.

I have this game on so high of a pedestal though, that I don't know if it is worth the risk. I'm generally torn. Is it better to pay for the traditional, AAA garb with no innovation and remember "the game that was" or is it better to risk an even greater accomplishment at the cost of degrading what once was?

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
these games don't sell anymore

even the latest mario game bombed

That's more the Wii U's fault, though. I think if Naughty Dog made another platformer, J&D or something else, it would sell quite well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I have enough faith in the team to not do a sequel unless they could make it compelling. They put a lot of thought into the story and there's still potential for it to continue with the same characters or an entirely different cast. I don't want them to rush it though. Whether it's a new IP or a TLoU sequel, I can't wait to see what they do next.

Shouldn't they be cooking something right now? His quote gave a vibe they still haven't decided anything which seems weird. Anyways, i don't mind TLOU 2. But a 3 year wait is brutal. :(

ND has done a good job of keeping things secret in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if this team was already developing their next game. I think it's also important to remember that Uncharted 4 probably won't be out until sometime next year, and it's a pretty good possibility they have a 3rd team working on a new or at least different IP, so it's not like the studio doesn't have anything else to offer. If this team wants to take 3-4 years to make sure their next game is as great as their other work, that's okay with me.

Pistolero

They've earned a formidable reputation, and no Tom, Dick or Harry should have the pretention of enlighting them as to which path they should take, let alone dictating it. Gamers treat games makers as restaurant chefs, and expect the menu they've ordered to be served on silver plates...
No wonder the industry suffers from a conformist attitude...

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm wondering what the Uncharted team is feeling after TLOU. Te bar has been raised to a crazy level by that game, if the next Uncharted is a retread of previous Uncharteds, I don't think that's going to cut it anymore.

Let's not forget that a new IP is hard work. The Grounded documentary highlighted how difficult TLoU development was for them prior to all the pieces of the puzzle slowly coming together. Going from one new IP to another new IP can be very taxing. That's another... what? 4 years of development?

Internally, I can imagine them personally wanting to continue TLoU in one shape or form. Even if they never planned it, I can't imagine the critical acclaim of TLoU not having some sort of pressure for them to continue the lore, be it internally within the team, from the fans, or even some nudge nudge wink from Sony.

Though expecting a new IP is wishful thinking on our part, I'd have to say working on the TLOU universe for a sequel couldn't be bad. As Mr. Straley mentioned in an earlier interview, making a brand new ip can be very hard, since you don't know what/how these characters are going to turn out to be? Will the game be fun to play? Lots of unknowns. ND took a big risk in crafting TLOU and it paid them off by dividends and accolades, and TLOU deserves every last bit of praise. Here's wishing the team on whatever they make continues to impress millions of fans like me.

It's not really a question at all. They only started on the Left Behind DLC immediately after finishing the main game.
YPpzu21.png

Hmmm. I suppose so. Perfect amount of implied snark in your reply btw.

Sniobi, wanna do me a favor and just make a thread from the AMA? I've already done a bit of the work in terms of screencaps... I'd rather it just be out there instead.
8 months for a few hour DLC game for a size of their team is simply inexcusable IMO. They should have started something 8 months after their game is over. And yes, I do know about the NaughtyDog crazy work hours that they have, which confuses me even more after their break how the entire time has been spent on DLC.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
8 months for a few hour DLC game for a size of their team is simply inexcusable IMO. They should have started something 8 months after their game is over. And yes, I do know about the NaughtyDog crazy work hours that they have, which confuses me even more after their break how the entire time has been spent on DLC.

Left Behind was made with a much, much smaller team than the main game was.

nordique

TLoU was perfect "as-is"

I hope they do something new and different. Would love to see something sci-fi from them

What if they told Joel's backstory, just after
Sarah's death
, during the first years of the outbreak (and all of the stuff his brother mentioned that he said "gave him nightmares")?

Would anyone be happy with that story? I think I would.

Isn't TLOU just perfect the way it is without any added sequels?

Besides, everyone knows they should focus on CrashPS4 anyway. BRING CRASH HOME!

Luthos

I hope not. And I say that having really liked the first.

But if they do do another, I hope it's with a completely new cast.

What if they told Joel's backstory, just after
Sarah's death
, during the first years of the outbreak (and all of the stuff his brother mentioned that he said "gave him nightmares")?

Would anyone be happy with that story? I think I would.

I wouldn't. Left Behind was enough "filling in" of the story. We don't need to know everything in such detail. The best quality about the narrative in The Last of Us is how much it was willing to leave unspoken, choosing to imply or simply cut to black where other, lesser, games would've spelled everything out explicitly.

No prequels. No direct sequels. Just let that story live as it is.

I wouldn't. Left Behind was enough "filling in" of the story. We don't need to know everything in such detail. The best quality about the narrative in The Last of Us is how much it was willing to leave unspoken, choosing to imply or simply cut to black where other, lesser, games would've spelled everything out explicitly.

No prequels. No direct sequels.
I'm torn on that. I feel Joel brings a lot more to the table that we don't know about.

But, as I said previously on this page, when you fill in the gaps too much, you risk ruining the immersion, stories, and feelings we developed on our own. It could make or break the experience.

I think "The Last of Us" is a good game, and I'm pretty sure that they will work on a sequel at some time because of it's success.

But personally I found TLoU too dark, and I don't think I want to play another game like this. I would really prefer if they work on more lighthearted games in the future. Savage Starlight sounds pretty cool, maybe they could make this their next game with some comedy elements.

Tekniqs

please don't? what's wrong with a sequel? I never understood why people are so against a sequel to a game they loved.

if the sequel doesn't live up to the original, it doesn't detract from the enjoyment you had playing the first game.

rdrr gnr

No prequels. No direct sequels. Just let that story live as it is.
This post should be chiseled into the foreheads of everyone disappointed with the original ending or calling for the return of Joel and Ellie because they would like to see "what happened after." You fundamentally undermine what made the original great. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I think Bruce and Neil understand that.
please don't? what's wrong with a sequel? I never understood why people are so against a sequel to a game they loved.

if the sequel doesn't live up to the original, it doesn't detract from the enjoyment you had playing the first game.

Just think about how much people truly love this game: they are publicly calling for it to never have a sequel. Think about how weird that is for an iterative medium. That doesn't come from spite or some fundamental misunderstanding of the games business but because they really get what made the original special. Sequels don't exist in isolation no matter how hard you try to separate them.

Kimosabae

Banned
Prequilitis is the new plague on the entertainment industry.

"Everyone's tired of sequels and honestly - we're creatively-fucking bankrupt. "Sequelitis" has even become a cutely coined and dismissive idiom as of late. What do we do??"

*gestures with hands*

"Prequels!"

"You're a fucking genius."

This post should be chiseled into the foreheads of everyone disappointed with the original ending or calling for the return of Joel and Ellie because they would like to see "what happened after." You fundamentally undermine what made the original great. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I think Bruce and Neil understand that.

They do as you can see with their reasoning behind not making Ish the main character in TLoU's DLC

"The only reason we discussed it is because we thought there was so much demand for it," explains Druckmann. "The thing with Ish, I think it's one of those things that's better left to the imagination - everyone has a different idea of what he looks like, how old he is or how he'd behave. It felt like we'd take something away from that by fleshing it out. Even in the DLC we actually had at one point a note that we wrote out that you'd find that continued Ish's story. It was a really moving note about him and his relationship with Susan, but it felt too much like fan service, too much of a coincidence that you'd find this note."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-07-the-last-of-us-left-behind-is-a-two-hour-triumph

mrpeabody

Please. Joel and Ellie are finished. The story was perfect and complete. Another full-length title about them would just do damage to the characters and the integrity of the narrative.

I love the world, I love the mechanics, I'd love to see TLOU 2. But it has to be with new faces.

zeelman

What happens if Naughty Dog decides to not make another game in this series? Sony isn't going to make another one of their developers make it, will they?

I am sorry to say but if they made sequel that takes place after the original it'll be hard for me to forget the fact that all the bad things that would happen in the sequel resulting from the infected could have been avoided
if Joel didn't save Ellie from the doctors in the end.

Bedlam

ND, if you choose to make TLOU2, please no more Joel and Ellie. I love how this story ended and showing any more of it would ruin that great ending in hindsight (something that happened often in videogames, unfortunately, due to sequelitis). No prequel either, please. Let the story stand as a complete work of art.

Ideally I'd like them to make something completely new (with similar mechanics). Make that grounded-in-reality-space-game everyone was hoping for!

SRG01

The only thing they should do is remaster the game on the PS4 in the middle of the PS4 life cycle, once all of the middleware has matured.

The TLOU universe is perfect the way it is.

Kimosabae

Banned
I am sorry to say but if they made sequel that takes place after the original it'll be hard for me to forget the fact that all the bad things that would happen in the sequel resulting from the infected could have been avoided
if Joel didn't save Ellie from the doctors in the end.

There was absolutely nothing certain about this. That's part of what makes the moral dilemma work.

lantus

I honestly don't know where they could take The Last Of Us with a sequel, so I'm inclined to say just leave it be. Not every new franchise needs to be broadened out; The Last Of Us stands on it's own perfectly.

Spinluck

TLOU looks good. PS4 port crowd worries me.

Only interested in TLOU2 if no Joel/Ellie.

Not interested in Jak 4 but would love a game with as much content.

same here. i'd take one with new protagonist as well..

i enjoyed last of us, but i feel like they can definitely do better by a sequel. it would be such a waste to build up such a universe, mechanics, and ip.. only to dump it once better technology comes along. especially with all the success they've been having..

the only thing that would make me not want a sequel from them, is if they felt they couldn't top tlou. but if they are willing to meet that challenge, i'm all for it.

kuroshiki

I'm sure ND will amaze us whether it is sequel or not.

For people who say 'New IP or die', you guys really do not trust ND at all. Shame on you. =P

Odrion

Banned
The people who claim they don't want a sequel to Joel and Ellie's story are the same people who pretend they like the ending to No Country for Old Men.

You all secretly want it, don't lie.

The problem with The last of Us is that 80% of the game is just hiding from and then facing off against military goons. How is that any different from any other game on the market? The infected/monsters are only in the game for a few segments. Very disappointing.

It's the same issue I had with the new Tomb Raider. She's stuck on a remote island in the pacific, Joel and Ellie are in post apocalyptic America so who the fuck is supplying all these people with endless supplies of weaponry and mercs???? It's unimaginative and is a pathetic attempt at chasing C.O.D. casuals.

HeelPower

It didn't sell so much that it'd be impossible to pitch Sony on something else doing better, but I'd be fairly surprised if they didn't get someone to follow it up if Naughty Dog moved on.

how much did it sell ? did it make a profit ? The game hella deserves it.

HeelPower

Nah, they said this story of Joel and Ellie is done.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606146

"I can clarify that quote, because I've seen it misquoted," Druckmann told me yesterday. "I said this journey for Joel and Ellie is complete. In a spoiler sense, I was referring to the journey with the Fireflies and what they're after with the cure and all that. We're not continuing that.

"But as far as whether we come back to Joel and Ellie or not, or whether we come back to the world or not, that's all up in the air. I can tell you there are people in the studio that would love to come back to these characters, but the only way we would do it would be if we had something new, something meaningful to say. Because the last thing we would want to do is repeat ourselves."

If Ellie ever comesback the cure thing will have to play a role.Its like a super important part of the game and the main reason Ellie is worth a shit to anyone in that savage world.

Yes do it please. Much more interesting to me than Uncharted. I don't want pirates either and I think some other studios will produce enough sci-fi titles to get my fix, so I'm totally fine with more The Last of Us.

Putty

I'll lap up ANYTHING ND release! Everything I've played by them has been some of the finest moments of the past 5/6 years! I dont think there's another developer like them...

Eltros

Banned
I would love more TLoU. I think with that world they could easily tell another story and not have it feel forced. I would also prefer to have joel and ellie be the main people again.

Top Bottom