• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: "We’re probably only using 30 or 40 per cent of the power of the PS3"

Draft

gamerecks said:
I hope you are being sarcastic.
Sarcastic nothing. 40%? How long have they been coding on this thing? Coming up on 3 years now? Bullshit.

Why do I want hardware that even the best coders can't tap 50% of the power from? I mean I can understand being a little inefficient. I don't expect perfection. But sub 50%? They should have sold me the thing for $250 with another $250 to be paid as tools improve.

bdouble

soldat7 said:
Trying to quantify something as indefinite as the 'insert any console here' isn't really useful to anyone.

Not just PS3 related. Its not about a percentage either. They are using all the power they can with their knowledge and time they are given.

DJ Sl4m

I can't help but think the 30-40 % figure is BS considering the Ram bottleneck, it sounds like typical 1st/2nd party propaganda quite honestly.

Of course we know it has a lot of head room for learning and getting more out of it, but 30-40% is just outlandish, it would be Much more believable if they said they had about 30-40% more they could get out of it.

Hopefully they pull it off in their next games and do share all the technology tricks they learn a long the way, I'm all for smarter & better looking games and animation.

Either way I'm sure there's still a lot of tricks and tweaking that can be done on both consoles to get better performance.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
soldat7 said:
Trying to quantify something as indefinite as the 'power of the PS3' isn't really useful to anyone. While I'm sure their future titles will outshine their previous games (and quite possibly games from other devs), it's silly to use the words 'percentage' and 'power' in this context, as someone here already mentioned.

Developers should not use marketing speech IMO.
Since when is using rough "ballpark" estimates like this nothing more than marketing speech? It's a useful tool for establishing rough order of magnitude which rational minds know how to treat appropriately. Calling it merely marketing speech is only your fear of what fanboys would do with this talking.

Here it is:

uncharted_hero_render.jpg

Draft said:
Sarcastic nothing. 40%? How long have they been coding on this thing? Coming up on 3 years now? Bullshit.

Why do I want hardware that even the best coders can't tap 50% of the power from? I mean I can understand being a little inefficient. I don't expect perfection. But sub 50%? They should have sold me the thing for $250 with another $250 to be paid as tools improve.

lolololololololol

Chiggs

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Here it is:

God, how phenomenal would that be? A shame we're still about 5-10 years away from that sort of power. Unless, you know, the next Uncharted is just the hero's head with a bunch of lights the player can circle around his head, like Shenmue.

Draft said:

Maybe you're new to this, but all consoles are like this. Compare what the PS2 was producing in 2000 compared to what came out in 2006. World of difference.

Chiggs

_leech_ said:
Maybe you're new to this, but all consoles are like this. Compare what the PS2 was producing in 2000 compared to what came out in 2006. World of difference.

More like compare PS2 games in 2002 to 2006. 60-70%? SotC is breathtaking, but is it a 60-70& increase from 2002? Even factoring in the framerate?

Dante

Draft said:

Here's another thread you can feign outrage in:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330139

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
thuway said:
Wait wha? Is this PR BS, or could this be fact?

I know he went on to talk about Edge toolkits, but are they really that effective to developers?
That's threespeech putting their own spin on what Lemarchand said and doing a bad job of it.

Unison

Nintendo should make a statement that they are only using 1% of the Wii's Power for Animal Crossing.

It would probably be true too. :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Chiggs said:
More like compare PS2 games in 2002 to 2006. 60-70%? SotC is breathtaking, but is it a 60-70& increase from 2002? Even factoring in the framerate?

correct me if im wrong, but Rygar was in 2002 (or before ? ) and GOW in 2005. Both of them are somewhat similar games, but look at the technical difference between thet two.

Doubledex

Banned
In before all the "I hate the %-talk, because maybe they are right an the PS3 really is THE powerhouse" people (/fanboys of other systems)
Or the "only potential"/"Carmack said" people

(wait, am I too late?)

Chiggs

chandoog said:
correct me if im wrong, but Rygar was in 2002 (or before ? ) and GOW in 2005. Both of them are somewhat similar games, but look at the technical difference between thet two.

Oh, huge difference, to be sure. But what if we take, ICO, a title from the same developer and compare it to SotC. Obviously, there's a big gap between the two, but 60-70%?

Sorry, I'm not seeing it.

Kittonwy

Banned
Draft said:

Why don't you go bitch and whine about how Tecmo couldn't get self-shadowing to work on a console that's supposedly easier to tap?
serious.gif

Naughty Dog got just about every current console tech feature at the time into Uncharted and the point is they still have room to improve, it's their first-generation game afterall.
batman.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Chiggs said:
God of War 2, my friend. God of War 2. That shit looks current gen sometimes.

Chiggs said:

Why not?

As long as we're all pulling percentages out of our asses, it's all good. Go ahead and try it on. SotC is a 70% increase from 2002.

Chiggs

Seiken said:

Not fair. God of War 2 game out in 2007. We're talking about 2006. :D But yeah, I agree, GoW 2 is breathtaking. Still trying to wrap my mind around the 60-70% number. Just seems sort of high.

Dante

ICallItFutile said:
Carmack has said in concept the PS3 is more powerful then the 360, but in actual use not so much. Those percentages mean shit.

I'd be surprised if Uncharted 2 didn't look better then Rage. I already think KZ2 looks better based on what I've seen....Just sayin :)

gregor7777 said:
Wait, you think Draft is a 360 fanboy?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I don't know anything about him other than his posts in this thread which are pretty laughable. Wanting a discount because a dev hasn't tapped a systems full resources?......Yeah....

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'll start doubting ND guys when they do not improve their sequel games by a f'n landmile visually. Jak 1 -> Jak 2 technical improvement was just crazy. If there's anyone who's earned some benefit of doubt, it's them.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Seiken said:

current gen, last gen or any gen at all, god of war 2 still has the best opening half hour EVER.

also,

god_of_war2_girls.jpg

DJ Sl4m said:
I can't help but think the 30-40 % figure is BS considering the Ram bottleneck, it sounds like typical 1st/2nd party propaganda quite honestly.

Of course we know it has a lot of head room for learning and getting more out of it, but 30-40% is just outlandish, it would be Much more believable if they said they had about 30-40% more they could get out of it.

He's probably referring to just SPU usage with that percentage. I'm sure they've more or less maxed out the RSX. It will be interesting to see what strictly graphical advances can be made with SPU use.

"Power" is always such a relative term to me when it comes to gaming. To some purely reaching the technical limits of a console could be definitively "maxing it out" and I'm sure any top notch developer could do it quite easily and has encountered limitations already (as proven by games like Halo 3, MGS4, and etc where resolution changes have to be made as well as drops in frame rate).

The real definition of "maxing out" a console to me is taking a ton of factors into consideration. Its completely stretching the boundaries of whats possible in that generation not only in graphics, but in gameplay, the size of the world, content, and etc. And I think that there isn't any such time that such a game is made that completely does this so much as that the overwhelming majority of developers out there have worked on enough next gen projects to ultimately have the knowledge and urge to move on to better technology.

Chiggs

Marconelly said:
I'll start doubting ND guys when they do not improve their sequel games by a f'n landmile visually. Jak 1 -> Jak 2 technical improvement was just crazy. If there's anyone who's earned some benefit of doubt, it's them.

Wasn't the framerate cut in half, though? Or am I thinking of Jak 3?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
gaf-fact1.gif

I just saw my quote there for the first time :lol :lol

Did I really say that or was it another Seiken?

FrankT

ICallItFutile said:
Carmack has said in concept the PS3 is more powerful then the 360, but in actual use not so much. Those percentages mean shit.

He said the Cell was in theory but not necessarily in practice, while the 360 GPU is superior and he said the memory is much more painful on the PS3. Further saying the 360 is a superior piece of hardware for developers.

KongRudi

Banned
ICallItFutile said:

Carmack also said that Naughty Dog were probably the guys wich knew most about multi-threading, and such when they only worked on PS2. :-/
So if he's right, maybe Naughty Dog knows this better than him.

I find it strange that people seems to think that Ken Kuturagi just instantly turned into a idiot wich didn't have a clue what he were doing, when he engineered PS3 - his fourth game-console. While all the president of various PC Developer studios, obviously are geniouses, and have all the solutions.

Top Bottom