• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Navy's X-47B (Unmanned Drone) Completes First Night Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
The U.S. Naval Air Systems Command's (NAVAIR) X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System (UCAS) completed its first night flight over Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md.

X47B%20Lit.jpg

article-aircraft-0515.jpg

pb-130514-x-47b-carrier-launch-jsa-09.photoblog900.jpg

US_drone_launch_620.jpg

x-47b.jpg
X-47B is one of several unmanned aircraft programs under development with the Navy's Unmanned Carrier-launched Surveillance and Strike program (UCLASS). In 2013, the aircraft, an X-47B demonstrator built by Northrop Grumman, achieved a number of significant firsts for Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) operations: it completed eight catapult launches from an aircraft carrier; 30 touch-and-goes; and seven arrested landings aboard Naval aircraft carriers.

The most recent test was a success for NAVAIR, testing the X-47B's ability to operate at night and also demonstrating the aircraft's unique lighting system.

The Navy plans on fielding its first UCLASS aircraft on a carrier deck by 2020.

http://www.aviationtoday.com/the-ch...es-First-Night-Flight_81875.html#.U0hqYfldV8E

More on X47b
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_X-47B

hmm....

Miles Dyson me if old..

All stealth bombers are upgraded with Cyberdyne computers, becoming fully unmanned. Afterwards, they fly with a perfect operational record.

TheJLC

article-aircraft-0515.jpg

Are these guys piloting it or something?

They are instructing the takeoff because there are instructions given by real humans that must be sent to the computer of when it can take off. I think an article once said that it's because everything on the aircraft carrier (like the catapult) is manual and not connected to the jet. Which is why there are also humans next to the jet giving out signals as if there was a human inside the cockpit that could see them.

Anyways, it look forward to seeing the capabilities of this aircraft.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
They are instructing the takeoff because there are instructions given by real humans that must be sent to the computer of when it can take off. I think an article once said that it's because everything on the aircraft carrier (like the catapult) is manual and not connected to the jet. Which is why there are also humans next to the jet giving out signals as if there was a human inside the cockpit that could see them.

Interesting, thanks.

So are these types of aircraft more maneuverable than existing piloted planes? Or are they still limited by the same stall angles?

I would think an advantage of them being non-piloted would be they could pull more g's than a piloted plane, anyone know though?

The shape is not strikingly different so maybe they don't have tighter turning.

Woorloog

Banned
So are these types of aircraft more maneuverable than existing piloted planes? Or are they still limited by the same stall angles?

I would think an advantage of them being non-piloted would be they could pull more g's than a piloted plane, anyone know though?

I reckon they're still limited by aerodynamics to some degree but their ability to pull higher g's than manned fighters is definitively an advantage. Not that you see them in dogfights any time soon. Probably.

I wonder how long before robotic military forces and hardware become more common and used than conventional forces.

They would still be limited by stall angles, but they are capable of more extreme maneuvers because they can take the G-Forces without passing out or suffering from redout or greyout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom