• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Northrop Grumman Ad Teases 6th-Generation Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
R7unhDb.gif

If this Northrop Grumman ad is any indication, we haven’t seen the last of the piloted fighter jet. The defense giant is best known for its long line of flying wings, including the iconic B-2 Spirit stealth bomber and the yet-to-be-unveiled Long Range Strike Bomber. Their new 30-second clip doesn’t show us any new details about that bomber, which remains under wraps in ads even after winning a major Air Force contract. Instead, it gives us a trio of arrow-head-shaped grey wedges, all stealthy jet fighters with room for human pilots on board.

A new mystery fighter flies alongside a few of Northrop’s already flying planes, including the B-2 and the unmanned X-47B technology demonstrator. While not a design made for mass production, the X-47B, with its stealth, autonomy, and ability to land on carriers, is seen by many as a precursor to an unmanned era of military aircraft ahead. But the new ad suggests the opposite.

While this commercial just shows off concept art, the cockpit on the potential 6th-generation fighter are clearly visible. Because it takes decades to go from fighter concept to fighter in service, DARPA’s already looking at the future generations. It’s way too soon to say whether the fighter that eventually succeeds the F-35 will have a human in the cockpit, but at the very least, Northrop Grumman thinks it’s important enough to include it as a selling point.

http://www.popsci.com/northrop-grumman-ad-teases-6th-generation-fighter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGzhmVmuSTA

This futuristic fighter jet will probably be unveiled to America during the Super Bowl - The Washington Post

/I wonder if it can become as maneuverable as in the video with that sort of design.

WTF?

why would they advertise during the Super Bowl? why advertise at all?

they have very few clients that can afford their products

They had one last year.
I think it's a bit gross, but whatcha gonna do?
Dat military industrial complex.

I don't get it. Like who is the target audience for that? Are they buying superbowl ads to impress congress members who are at the game? Or are they trying to be like "look how cool we are, please come work for us" to the mass audience? Johny Average isn't going to go home and be like "Jane, I think we should buy a sixth generation fighter jet".

muu

Considering how ridiculously expensive these things are going to be, one superbowl ad isn't going to kill them or anything. You could probably make up for the marketing expense with the exposure coming from every news outlet talking about a fighter jet being advertised on the superbowl.

TheJLC

I don't get it. Like who is the target audience for that? Are they buying superbowl ads to impress congress members who are at the game? Or are they trying to be like "look how cool we are, please come work for us" to the mass audience?

I would say both + Impress general audience so they ignore the ticket price per fighter. I doubt it is going to be much cheaper than the F35. 'We gotta have that! It looks cool!'

Chichikov

I don't get it. Like who is the target audience for that? Are they buying superbowl ads to impress congress members who are at the game? Or are they trying to be like "look how cool we are, please come work for us" to the mass audience?
Drumming up public support for such programs is important for their business.
The LRS-B has been classified for a long time, when it goes public, you can expect some public and congressional scrutiny about its costs and utility, especially after the mess which is the f-35 (and to some degree the f-22).
I would like to believe that a high profile ad should not matter for these things, but I know better.

I don't get it. Like who is the target audience for that? Are they buying superbowl ads to impress congress members who are at the game? Or are they trying to be like "look how cool we are, please come work for us" to the mass audience? Johny Average isn't going to go home and be like "Jane, I think we should buy a sixth generation fighter jet".

Probably for recruiting purposes. Advertising "hey we build this cool shit come work for us".
Here's Lockheed's for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6L5J7WcUpo

Advertising to current (plus family) and future employees is more likely.

still makes little sense

it is more or less a flag waving pride thing,
these projects are worth like $400+ Billion? That is low end.

Maybe it is just to keep their name above the other companies who have competing projects for the same dollars.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've noticed quite a bit of Northrop Grumman advertising the last couple years. I thought it was funny to see their ads pop up during episodes of The Americans, where the Soviet spy lead characters are trying to steal secrets out of Northrop.

I'm sure it's all a part of reminding the public they exist, and don't you dare ever let Congress cancel these big projects. Gotta keep all the local factories working on military weapons systems as opposed to any number of other technical projects.

Probably "please come work for us". My girlfriend works on the civilian side of NG. It's okay.

kess

America is at the point where Defense Contractors are making advertisements during the Super Bowl.

Da fuq?

An advertisement indirectly subsidized by the American taxpayer telling Americans how awesome they are, America Fuck Yeah.

VHr3DTs.png

DIPLOMACY YO

giga

Americans like cool military stuff. It allows them to influence public opinion on military spending.

Ever been to a football game? Flyovers are always pretty cool.

06-Wk9-Dolphin-Bear-142.jpg

Mindlog

What makes it gen 6?
The fact that it's a new fighter doesn't make it gen 6 PopSci. Come on. That console bullshit doesn't fly here.

Help me out here Google.
The F-X program looks to to finally replace the F-15 Eagle, as well as the F-22 Raptor, and the FA-XX program aims to replace the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. This new aircraft will be as much about reusable weaponry (lasers) as it is about expendable weaponry.
Oh, neat. Lasers.

Rubenov

How many billions is this plane going to waste? I mean the JSF and F22 were such successes.

Russians are building the equivalent of this as we speak. It never ends.

It's even worse for Russia because their economy is in the shitter due to the collapse of oil + sanctions.

Averon

After the mess that is the F-35, NG needs all the support it can get from the public to convince Congress to sign off on another multi-year, multi-billion dollar program.

ezrarh

The average American might be broke as fuck but hey as long as we got cool new jets and stadiums, we're good.

dukeoflegs

That would be sweet if it did the fly over.

Also I always thought it would be cool to work on military black projects, always found that technology fascinating.

Piggus

Looks badass. I'll take an ad for a defense contractor showing off a cool new jet over some of the other dumb shit that shows up during the Super Bowl. NG isn't advertising the jet to people. They're saying "look how badass we are. Come work for us." Not really that big of a deal.

The average American might be broke as fuck but hey as long as we got cool new jets and stadiums, we're good.

Yay hyperbole.

A superbowl ad?

Really?

I live in Dayton, Ohio, a few blocks away from Wright Patterson Air Force Base, and it's still a little bizarre to drive past billboards for this kind of stuff. There are prominent ones for Northrop Grumman advertising military drones right across the street.

Weird.

Joezie

You mean Bomber in the thread title, not fighter.

The article specifically states that the LRS-B is still under secrecy and that this hardware is likely not it.

Not to mention the fact that NG does have a 6th gen fighter in development which matches what we're seeing here. Larger shape, like a bomber, and tail-less

Sixth-generationa-fighter-concept-Northrop-NGAD-1.jpg

EDIT: and to the author of the Article, no it isn't too soon. 6th Gen fighters are Air superiority geared. They will be replacing the F-15, 22 and Super Hornets. The F-35 won't be replaced for a while unless the whole program falls apart.

Rubenov

The article specifically states that the LRS-B is still under secrecy and that this hardware is likely not it.

Not to mention the fact that NG does have a 6th gen fighter in development which matches what we're seeing here. Larger shape, like a bomber, and tail-less

Sixth-generationa-fighter-concept-Northrop-NGAD-1.jpg

Dude, LRS-B is a bomber. The "B" denotes it as a bomber. The whole purpose of the LRS-B is to replace the old as fuck B-52s and the B-1s. So yes, the title is incorrect.

LRS-B = Long-Range Strike Bomber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom