• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Live 08: Quick-Strike Ball Handling

bdoughty

Banned
NBA Live 08: Quick-Strike Ball Handling

Total Freestyle Control is dead. Learn about its replacement.
by Hilary (I am a man) Goldstein

July 3, 2007 - EA Canada is hoping to reenergize the NBA Live franchise with refined graphics and a new Go-To Basketball system. Comprised of four elements, Go-To Basketball is designed to give gamers greater freedom and control over players, while also making the NBA's best and brightest act like the real deal. Signature Go-To Moves, Hot Zones, Own the Paint, and Quick-Strike Ball Handling comprise NBA Live 08's promising new system.

bdoughty

Banned
:lol Those shorts are just too much.

nba-live-08-20070703104420322.jpg

DMczaf

The new trailer looks nice.

http://xbox360movies.ign.com/xbox360/video/article/801/801309/nbalive08_070207_01_qtlowwide.mov

Wade's Go-To Move is driving to the basket and getting fouled :lol

Hopefully this is the first step to bringing competition back to the NBA simulation games. 2K has practically had the exclusive license the last 2 years since no one else wants to show up. (You too, Sony!) Of course if they are using the MVP Baseball method like they did with NHL 07, NBA Live wont be "ready" til next year.

Zep

Banned
lets see...

-most dunk animations looked like shit(one handed ones looked alright)
-Jumpshots dont look smooth at all
-Subtle animations were cool
-Still not buying what they're selling.

We'll see in '09.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
EA sure knows how to cut a nice trailer,im sure the game is ass again.

DMczaf

Big Zep said:
lets see...

-most dunk animations looked like shit(one handed ones looked alright)
-Jumpshots dont look smooth at all
-Subtle animations were cool
-Still not buying what they're selling.

We'll see in '09.

I think the jumpshots look smooth. Probably not as smooth as NBA2k7, but still its not janky and rigged like NBA Live games of the past, or Sony's NBA games.

The dunks though, wtf. Did the NBA go back to metal rims and the whole setup cemented into the ground? The only object that moves are the nets during dunks. I would think Amare dunking would make the backboard move JUST a little. (actually I rewatched it and they do move JUST a little. As if Tony Parker just dunked.)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
SNUG REVOL said:
lol cancel this shit ea. 2k aint giving up the throne.

Thinks about sales #'s... which throne are you referring to?

Hardcore acceptance throne?
casual EA purchaser drone throne?

Zep

Banned
Gilbert Arenas
Loving NBA LIVE
I played NBA LIVE ’08 against Kevin Durant and I lost bad. I sucked. It was the first time I played it though. I didn’t play ’07, I didn’t play ’06, I didn’t play ’05. After a while I thought that it wasn’t getting better so I became a 2K fan. But then the people at EA Sports came and told me they wanted to make the game better, I came on board because my first basketball game was NBA LIVE ’95. So once they started getting out of character it was like they weren’t progressing with the game so I became a 2K fan and then now I’m back to LIVE and I think all the 2K fans are going to come back to LIVE again because they’re going to see they made progress. It’s a lot smoother. It’s not as choppy as it used to be. It’s realer now. It’s not like, “Oh, this is fake. That doesn’t happen.” That’s all you used to say. You can’t say that now.

:lol

pilonv1

I thought they were focusing on "5 on 5 basketball"? Now I see they've got a bunch of shitty gimmicks? It's so sad they have to do this to bullet point their game, they're never going to get it right while focusing on shit like this.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
SNUG REVOL said:
lol cancel this shit ea. 2k aint giving up the throne.

What throne? 2k7 sucked last year. It was the lesser of two evils though, so I guess it artificially seemed good. That game was ****ed. Two years ago Live showed all kinds of potential and last year they just went on a crack smoking binge during development. If this year continues the direction they were going with with Live 06, then I expect it to be damned good.

2k7 bragged so much about post moves, but half the time when you threw the ball in the post, the player would give up all his position and end up near the 3-point line. WTF is that all about? Please let this be the year a decent NBA game is released.

bdoughty

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
What throne? 2k7 sucked last year.

If NBA and for that matter CH2K7 (which is pretty much the same on the court) sucked, then what the heck do you use to describe all other basketball games?

So recap

NBA 2K7 - Sucks
NBA Live 2006 - Showed promise

Even Gilbret Fraking Arenas who is on the cover of the game is not that far up EA's jock strap.

Get out of here you big drama queen... :D

TDG

Banned
Oh my god. :lol This literally looks as bad as NBA Live 2003.
Look at this one:
nba-live-08-20070703005459477.jpg

Those textures are horrific, and how about that sexy cardboard cheerleader in the backround.

RBH

I just realized looking at those pics more closely that they're from NBA Live 07.

You can see some banners in the background that have "NBA Live 07" on it. Guess it's from the PSP or PS2 version.

Damnit IGN. :/

Wasnt NBA 2K7 the best selling next gen basketball game last year? I thought I remember reading that. Sorry no link. Also, since when do sales make a good game? The Live has been complete trash the last 2 years. And yes 2K7 had its share of flaws, but still light years ahead of Live 07.

To be honest I root for Live every year. I dont want the 2k sports guys to get lazy, but Live sure hasnt given them any motivation the last couple of years.

SNUG REVOL said:
Wasnt NBA 2K7 the best selling next gen basketball game last year? I thought I remember reading that.

NBA 2K7 had better sales on next-gen consoles such as the xbox 360 where the hardcore players are . . . NBA Live 07 had better sales on last gen consoles where more casual players are.

Top Bottom