• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Live 14 review thread

952rkjl.gif

What resolution is this??!

TWO years...TWOOOO...and this is what they come up with. Just scrap it at this point...For many years in the 90's and early 2000's I was an NBA Liver...It's sad to see what they have done with it.

Embarrassing...

Funny how they put so-called "effort" (or more "effort") into this than the NHL series (trying to push this harder with a new engine and such), yet it's a pile of crap, especially compared to the 2K version. I'm still betting this gets more funding than the NHL games...

Xater

Nah, put it on easy hold run button and dunk. Easy as pie for beginners.

I don't know. I think it was the demo for 2K12 I tried and just figuring out how to throw the ball took some time. I remember me hitting the button and nothing happened and it was some bullshit of holding and then releasing it or something to throw. Really not intuitive.

Into

What is amazing is that 2k has had to live up to NBA 2k11, a game that actually competed with several others that year for GOTY, unheard of for sports games to win GOTY anywhere. And they still chucked out 2k12, 2k13, 2k14 and maintained the quality while improving the games in various ways, such as the way defense works, blocking etc.

That AND they also released, what is one of, if not the best looking next gen game out there, 2k14 on PS4 and Xbox One looks amazing, in motion and pictures.

So one cannot blame this on "oh new hardware, its too difficult and demanding!" nor is it acceptable to pour 3 years of development and this being the result.

They almost have to rebrand the game again, "Live" again has a bad connotation with it now.

Paskil

Watched that stream last night. Game looks terribad. Like, comparable to Yukes degeneration of the WWE franchise bad.

What is amazing is that 2k has had to live up to NBA 2k11, a game that actually competed with several others that year for GOTY, unheard of for sports games to win GOTY anywhere. And they still chucked out 2k12, 2k13, 2k14 and maintained the quality while improving the games in various ways, such as the way defense works, blocking etc.

That AND they also released, what is one of, if not the best looking next gen game out there, 2k14 on PS4 and Xbox One looks amazing, in motion and pictures.

So one cannot blame this on "oh new hardware, its too difficult and demanding!" nor is it acceptable to pour 3 years of development and this being the result.

They almost have to rebrand the game again, "Live" again has a bad connotation with it now.

Now if only they could make an NHL game of the same quality.

V_Ben

Banned
Wow...has it really been three? I thought two but you may be correct...OUCH...the point remains.

Elite was apparently supposed to come out on November 5, 2010. Good grief, that makes it 4 years since EA put out a basketball game that wasn't NBA Jam.

Zach

Oh, man. Can't say I'm surprised.

On a somewhat related note, I wonder if EA would be having a similar problem with Madden if NFL 2K hadn't been killed...

This game looks horrible. After watching a Gaffer stream it on PS4 and looking at these reviews, I don't even think it's worth a rental. Maybe they get their shit together next year. I was hoping for a decent game to at least make 2K tighten up, but damn.

LiK

Elite was apparently supposed to come out on November 5, 2010. Good grief, that makes it 4 years since EA put out a basketball game that wasn't NBA Jam.

I still remember making the cancellation thread here haha

Abounder

Banned
Even 6 sounds too high

A new sports game is in trouble when it relies on a CGI commercial (among other things)

Praise Bynum Jesus for 2k

Wait...are you suggesting 4 years...lol...this does not computer...what have they been doing for years?

Morzak

Agree

NBA 2k is really for people who actually love watching the sport, warts and everything. If you want a more arcade experience (like Jeff Gerstmann!) then yeah get Jam or Street 2. If you can watch a NBA game and appreciate the defense a team is doing and understand the intricacies then you will absolutely love NBA 2k.

Live 14 will likely get eaten alive with these reviews. Some kudos to EA for at least not releasing it in the last 2-3 years, but if the end result is a 50-60/100 MC game then...how bad was it before?

Honestly if you that into the NBA you will see so many problems with 2k14 gameplay wise, you're better of being a casual fan.... I can only talk about gameplay in the xbox360 version, but Picks are still not set correctly (often set in space instead on the player), players still cut without a purpose, Spacing is still problematic, magnetizing all over the place. Players still sag when they should stay, plays are often not functional and/or the players don't run the cut with any purpose but just jog around. I could go on but there are still so many issues with gameplay that takes me out of it.......

LOL...

"Making the totally fair comparison to NBA 2K14 would be like LeBron James playing a pickup game against an arthritic giraffe." ~IGN

ron_bato

Why can't ea get this right? Is it hard? Just hire people away from 2k.

Fun fact, lead gameplay designer of nba 2k (mike wang) was at EA for live 10 -- which homestly was pretty decent (he worked on inside drive and 2k before that), then left because he didn't like the direction live was heading (ie Elite 11). Mike Wang then returned to Visual Concepts in time for 2k11. They released the best 2k game the following year, and the rest is history.

I don't understand
They took 2 years off - What on earth were they doing with this time?

I am confused

BF4 came out 2 years after BF3 did, and look how hard it's bombing (not in reviews, but in general being able to play). I honestly don't think EA has any idea on what they are doing... rushing jobs, not putting talent in the right places, not giving the right funds to the right places or just doing stupid shit. If anything, this game shows the state of EA right now.

Marleyman

Banned
Fun fact, lead gameplay designer of nba 2k (mike wang) was at EA for live 10 -- which homestly was pretty decent (he worked on inside drive and 2k before that), then left because he didn't like the direction live was heading (ie Elite 11). Mike Wang then returned to Visual Concepts in time for 2k11. They released the best 2k game the following year, and the rest is history.

Yep; Live 10 was damn good. I foolishly want this game to sell just so they can try to improve on it. 2K, to me, has gotten stale. The animations haven't changed hardly over the years...I just want something fresh. I thought the ball handling would help this title overcome some of it's issues but it doesn't sound that way at all.

Into

Honestly if you that into the NBA you will see so many problems with 2k14 gameplay wise, you're better of being a casual fan.... I can only talk about gameplay in the xbox360 version, but Picks are still not set correctly (often set in space instead on the player), players still cut without a purpose, Spacing is still problematic, magnetizing all over the place. Players still sag when they should stay, plays are often not functional and/or the players don't run the cut with any purpose but just jog around. I could go on but there are still so many issues with gameplay that takes me out of it.......

Sure, i agree with you. Its not perfect at all, but its still the closest thing to the real sport out there. There is no other alternative that does it as well as NBA 2k. Live is suppose to be a competitor, but as we can see its...not.

Xater

Also how long until EA drops the Ignite Engine? All their next gen sports titles look lackluster. If they try to ride it out on that for the next years...oh boy!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why does this game exist?

Also how long until EA drops the Ignite Engine? All their next gen sports titles look lackluster. If they try to ride it out on that for the next years...oh boy!

About six months: http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/1/5055484/patrick-soderlund-transform-ea-game-engine

And where is the company going? Here on the precipice of next-gen hardware, Soderlund sees many possibilities. EA could find that collaboration between the teams that develop its two engines makes their better by sharing. Or maybe they'll create a grand, unified engine — or they could decide to use one over the other, or even a hybrid. It's up to the boots on the ground, he said. And it's going to take a bit of time to figure it out.

"It's not so much me making the decision as ... the people creating the technology and the people that are the customers of the technology groups, which are the game teams," he said. "It's going to have to be something we look at over the course of time, but I would say in six months' time, we most likely will have a different tech strategy. What that is, is too early to tell."

brobban

Have been thinking of getting a basketball game, guess it's gonna be 2K.

Last basketball game I played was David Robinsons Basketball for the Mega Drive (Genesis for those who are wrong)

Top Bottom