• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

spyder_ur

I'm a bit confused. Paul declined his PO for this year, so he was going to be unrestricted. He is then able to just change that and opt in as long as it's before July 1? If so, does that mean that Blake can do a similar thing and that the Clippers can shop him?

Guys, don't underestimate how Jerry West build teams. He knows what's he doing....

Dekker is a great young asset. Patrick Beverley is an amazing veteran to have around young players, and is the sort of player that can help toughen up the culture of a team. Hes also on one of the best contracts in the league, and both the Jazz and Timberwolves iirc were pursuing him beforehand

Jerry west can draft really well.

Lou Williams is a great 6th man on an expiring contract and I foresee teams like the wizards starting to go after him once again.

A few things.

1. Harden has his nasty step back jumper, he just stopped using it as much

2. D'Antoni talked about the need for more ball handlers and a more dynamic offense. Come playoffs, and the total reluctance to use mid-range shots meant our offense was very stale and predictable. You have to make teams pay for only defending the rim and perimeter

3.oh my fucking god everyone is going to hate the rockets so fucking much next year

4. Morey goes after talent first. We went after Aldridge and melo. Chris Paul's mid range shot is efficient as hell

5. During all the hubbub about cp3, rockets fans looked into it and found that harden was actually really efficient playing off the ball

6. You have to remember, Beverley wasn't that good a ball handler for a long time, ty Lawson was ty Lawson, Jason Terry was ridiculously old, Lin and harden in 2013 and 2014 werent pass focused point guards, etc. CP3 is the first point guard of his type to play with harden

7. Most of all, this is the first time since maybe Nash + Joe Johnson/point Boris Diaw that D'Antoni has had two elite playmakers to try and make his offense so much more versatile

Also

Woj said:
Chris Paul and James Harden were determined to play together, and found a way with Rockets-Clippers trade agreed upon today.

This isn't just a Morey thing, they both wanted the deal. Pretty sure Harden will let CP3 run the offense if he wants.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I remember when Doc got absolutely crushed trading for Austin. Ended up being maybe the best move he made as a GM. Dunno why hes still there though, seems like a waste of time for both him and the clippers if they're going to tank.

Rvaan

Banned
Austin Rivers, I always believed.

VKnBklB.gif
Fuck that shot. I sat in my chair for about 10 min after that shot just not moving or feeling.

spyder_ur

This is the internet's dream. Who takes the brunt of the playoff choking/flopping wrath now between Paul and Harden? It's almost too much to fathom.

Fjordson

It makes no sense to me to talk about Phil and not mention:

* He seemed to care more about rehabilitating the reputation of the triangle offense than rehabilitating the Knicks.

* He thought KP shooting threes was "cheap points" and meant that in a bad way.

* He acted like KP skipping the exit meeting justified trading him. A feud with the future of the franchise over some petty minor shit.

I'll even grant that in the Phil era, the Knicks made good drafts.
Never forget:

charsace

I remember when Doc got absolutely crushed trading for Austin. Ended up being maybe the best move he made as a GM. Dunno why hes still there though, seems like a waste of time for both him and the clippers if they're going to tank.
His son being there will keep him there. Dude saved his son's NBA career. Austin would be out of the league if not for his dad.

LionPride

Banned
This is the internet's dream. Who takes the brunt of the playoff choking/flopping wrath now between Paul and Harden? It's almost too much to fathom.
Again

One person is regularly "playing hurt" right when his teams tend to falter so he can't be blamed

Fuck Chris Paul

On the court anyways. Off the court he cool

spyder_ur

That was my question as well. If he doesn't take it, there will be some rumblin' going on, lol.

I'm confused about that, but I believe the answer is yes. Also - that contract is terrifying to me.

I'm also a bit confused about this: Paul declined his PO for this year, so he was going to be unrestricted. He is then able to just change that and opt in as long as it's before July 1? If so, does that mean that Blake can do a similar thing and that the Clippers can shop him?

I'm officially gonna be rooting for the Clippers, especially if they keep Beverley and Dekker (although a part of me wants Beverley to end up on the Timberwolves,
not sure what they could trade for him now though).

Also, dammit just as all the Rockets players were becoming Astros fans XD

Also

This isn't just a Morey thing, they both wanted the deal. Pretty sure Harden will let CP3 run the offense if he wants.

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/880091351030824960

Jonathan Feigen said:
Paul and Harden played together with USA Basketball, with Mike D'Antoni an assistant coach. All three obviously convinced the mix will work.

I'm confused about that, but I believe the answer is yes. Also - that contract is terrifying to me.

I'm also a bit confused about this: Paul declined his PO for this year, so he was going to be unrestricted. He is then able to just change that and opt in as long as it's before July 1? If so, does that mean that Blake can do a similar thing and that the Clippers can shop him?

CP3 is at the point of his career where he probably wants to contend, and iirc him being traded means he can still get his huge contract next year.

Other stuff

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/880090050108829696
Zach Lowe said:
Little angle here: Trevor Ariza and CP are still really close. Clips had tried to acquire Ariza at various times.

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/880097079141576704
Zach Lowe said:
I think -- think -- Houston has to send out more $$ or wait until after 7/1 to consummate deal. May be more moves coming.

https://twitter.com/NateDuncanNBA/status/880097590783516673
Nate Duncan said:
If this trade occurs after 7/1, If CP waives trade bonus and Rox also include Onuaku, Wiltjer, Harrell, and Taylor, it just barely works.

Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams, and Sam Dekker out?

Help me out, Hyperactivity. I'm gonna faint....

I'm just as sad. Chris Paul + James Harden is going to lead to some amazing ball movement, and the Rockets staff are great at preventative medical attention, but god damn we lost our most exciting young player and also the heart and soul of our team.

Goddammit Beverley deserves one of the loudest standing ovations Toyota Center has ever given when he comes back

Top Bottom