• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

But for real, the house thing was 2 summers ago. They had 2 more seasons to try to do something, and Paul, Griffin, and Redick were all facing free agency this summer. There was little chance the Clippers could keep all 3 (at least, not without going deep into luxury tax, and needing to use exemptions and league minimum contracts to sign other players), so it is what it is.

Everyone knew (or should have known) this summer was coming and it would likely end.

But for real, the house thing was 2 summers ago. They had 2 more seasons to try to do something, and Paul, Griffin, and Redick were all facing free agency this summer. There was little chance the Clippers could keep all 3 (at least, not without going deep into luxury tax, and needing to use exemptions and league minimum contracts to sign other players), so it is what it is.

Everyone knew (or should have known) this summer was coming and it would likely end.

DeAndre only has one more year on his contract anyways

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/880120062836842496
Sam Amick said:
Paul George gray area: He's still telling folks he wants to sign w/ Lakers...while recruiting players to other spots

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...george-warned-indiana-pacers-trade/435476001/
Sam Amick said:
Hell-bent as he is on signing with the Lakers, George - according to a person with knowledge of his situation - is also the kind of prudent professional who won’t close a window of opportunity prematurely. So if the Cavs can convince Pritchard to either take on four-time All-Star forward Kevin Love or send him to a third team in exchange for more suitable assets, then George will play his heart out alongside LeBron James and remain open to the idea of re-signing next summer if James were also to return (or, perhaps, George could leave for Los Angeles with James at his side).

George hasn’t been shy about playing general manager in his own right, recruiting different players to different teams that he might join with the hopes of seeing how the stars might align (yes, to make it clear, this extends beyond the Lakers possibility). There’s no harm in this approach, in part because tampering rules don’t apply to players yet also because there’s always a chance the puzzle pieces fall perfectly into place. Welcome to today’s NBA, where the most prominent players hold so much of the power.

TTG

CP3 to Houston thing is real? It makes no sense though, does Chris Paul not have the power to steer himself to SA? Are he and Harden going to take turns running the offense? Will I ever stop posting in questions only???

Brandson

It's kind of incredible that the CBA allows a team to go shopping for expiring contract players with cash to immediately flip them to make salaries match in a trade, only for the ultimate receiving team to then waive those players. Working as intended? Isn't there a roster size limit or something? How can a team receive so many players in one trade, while only trading out 1?

Pierce understands emojis now
Paul Pierce said:
To the �� Wow!! Emoji game in point ����

https://twitter.com/CP3/status/880131922764148738
Chris Paul said:
Unbelievable amount of emotions right now..

DDbab4FVwAAa5fu.jpg

DDbahFUVoAEyD99.jpg

Cornbread78

George hasn’t been shy about playing general manager in his own right, recruiting different players to different teams that he might join with the hopes of seeing how the stars might align (yes, to make it clear, this extends beyond the Lakers possibility). There’s no harm in this approach, in part because tampering rules don’t apply to players yet also because there’s always a chance the puzzle pieces fall perfectly into place. Welcome to today’s NBA, where the most prominent players hold so much of the power.

giphy.gif

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Per Michael Eaves on FB - basically Paul is leaving because Doc treats (or is perceived to treat) Austin Rivers preferentially, and Austin acts entitled according to multiple members on the team. What sealed it was Doc turning down a deal to send Jamal Crawford, Paul Pierce, and Austin Rivers to NYK for Carmelo and Sasha Vujacic

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If the Rockets can't trade for PG, can they go after Hayward? I feel like Melo should be their last option.

I don't think Melo should even be an option? Not sure he actually makes the team better vs just keeping Ariza. And then theres all the other shit too. Harden / Melo / Anderson as your 2-3-4 is not what you want

Chris Paul Lost Faith In Doc Rivers Due To How He Favored Austin Rivers Over Team

The relationship between Chris Paul and Doc Rivers began to deteriorate when the Los Angeles Clippers traded for Austin Rivers.

Paul and other members of the Clippers felt Rivers didn't treat his son the same way as he did the rest of the players on the team.

When Doc Rivers decided not to trade for Carmelo Anthony in a trade that would have included Austin Rivers, Paul's position on the matter solidified as he viewed the Rivers as putting family over team.

"Chris despises Doc," said one league executive.

This move also gives Paul the ability to become a free agent during the same offseason as LeBron James in 2018.

The Clippers traded for Austin Rivers in 2015 and re-signed him in the 2016 offseason on a three-year, $35 million deal.

i don't know what I hate worse the fact that people claim Austin is suddenly good not factoring in that his dad is the coach or the fact that they respect him for playing through his Blazers injury.
Dude got it handed to him and it just frowned upon in the league.
While we got players busting their asses in D-league and limited minutes like Norm Powell who finally earning their place in league.

It's kind of incredible that the CBA allows a team to go shopping for expiring contract players with cash to immediately flip them to make salaries match in a trade, only for the ultimate receiving team to then waive those players. Working as intended? Isn't there a roster size limit or something? How can a team receive so many players in one trade, while only trading out 1?

The max amount of players allowed to be on the roster during the off-season is apparently 20.

And yeah, of course, there's a reason why expiring contracts gain value.

https://twitter.com/AaronTorres_/status/880091558829330433
Aaron Torres said:
JR Smith, to his caddie, when he found out Chris Paul got traded to the Rockets: "This league is crazy."

https://twitter.com/AaronTorres_/status/880092924427599872
Aaron Torres said:
JR Smith to @washingtonpost on Chris Paul: "It's just the way the league is going. The league is in a frenzy because of the Warriors."

https://twitter.com/TeamLou23/status/880112179248152576
Lou Williams said:
1:13 Am in Beijing. can't go back to sleep. Let's check out some hoop news and see what's going on. 😎

https://twitter.com/TeamLou23/status/880122441250480128
Lou Williams said:
Did I? To where I wonder?
You've been traded. That's what's going on.

From last week btw:

Patrick Beverley said:

lol Clip... you know what I'm not betting against Jerry West
Ramona Shelburne said:
And yes, this does mean Clippers are focused on retaining Blake Griffin in free agency, per league sources.

https://www.facebook.com/MrMichaelEaves/posts/1239427866166362
Michael Eaves said:
Here's some information on the Chris Paul trade. First the MICRO:

Paul's relationship with Doc Rivers started to deteriorate rapidly after the Clippers acquired Austin Rivers. Several members of the team felt Austin acted entitled because his dad was both the coach and the President of Basketball Operations. In the view of the tenured players, Austin Rivers never tried to fit in, and when players tried to address the situation with him, he still did not respond the way the core of the team wanted him to. It led to resentment within the locker room, which often played out during games. One of Paul's biggest contentions with Doc was that Paul, and other players, felt Doc treated Austin more favorably than other players. He would yell at guys for certain things during games and practices, but not get on Austin in the same manner for similar transgressions.

But what really solidified Paul's dissatisfaction with Doc was a proposed trade involving Carmelo Anthony last season. New York offered Carmelo and Sasha Vujacic to the Clippers in exchange for Jamal Crawford, Paul Pierce and Austin Rivers, a deal to which Rivers ultimately said no. That event led Paul to feel that keeping his son on the roster was more important to Doc than improving the team. So, ultimately, Paul lost both trust and faith in Doc. As one league executive put it, "Chris despises Doc."
(I was also told that when Paul met with the team to inform them of his plans, Jerry West was not in attendance. It was only Doc and Lawrence Frank.)

MACRO
This move is a win-win for Chris Paul, and it was all part of a master plan. By opting into the final year of his current contract and pressuring the Clippers to trade him to Houston, Paul will be in the exact same situation next summer. He can re-sign with the Rockets for 5 years and $200+ million or sign a 4-year deal for about $150 million with another team. In addition, he will save several million dollars in state income tax.

Also, by being committed to the Rockets for only one season, it gives him a year to see if he can actually co-exist and pursue a title with James Harden. But even beyond that, this move gives Paul more flexibility to join LeBron James in 2018. If he stayed in LA or signed the max deal with the Clippers and forced them to do a sign-and-trade with the Rockets, Paul and LeBron could only join forces at one location. Now, they will have the ability to pick and choose wherever they want to go as a tandem, which could be Houston, LA {Lakers or Clippers (provided Doc is no longer with organization)}, or any other destination in-between.

Absolutely love the deal for the Clippers. Don't really think it moves the needle for Houston. Think they take a step back. Clippers finally get some depth and get a touch, gritty player in Beverly that they've needed for years. If Blake stays, they could easily be a top-2 team in the west, barring injury.

Absolutely love the deal for the Clippers. Don't really think it moves the needle for Houston. Think they take a step back. Clippers finally get some depth and get a touch, gritty player in Beverly that they've needed for years. If Blake stays, they could easily be a top-2 team in the west, barring injury.

I can't see that team being, "great', without CP3.

I'd take the Paul/Rivers beef with a grain of salt. It was Paul doing the most to get Doc to enjoy the moment when Austin was going off during that one playoff game. If there was resentment, it wasn't evident then.

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/880136670061895680
Sam Amick said:
Rockets are also getting Darren Hilliard from Detroit, I'm told.

Pretty sure he means Darrun Hilliard, who, according to this list of all non-guaranteed contracts some redditor put together, is another non-guaranteed contract

I'd take the Paul/Rivers beef with a grain of salt. It was Paul doing the most to get Doc to enjoy the moment when Austin was going off during that one playoff game. If there was resentment, it wasn't evident then.

Yeah, something about that story feels off to me

TTG

Morey is the real Big Baller, but I don't understand the fit at all. Maybe Harden goes back to the bench to try and outscore GSW 35-5 every time Curry and Durant sit? I see Nate Duncan has been carpet bombing pods, he'll make sense out of this.

Cornbread78

Also, by being committed to the Rockets for only one season, it gives him a year to see if he can actually co-exist and pursue a title with James Harden. But even beyond that, this move gives Paul more flexibility to join LeBron James in 2018. If he stayed in LA or signed the max deal with the Clippers and forced them to do a sign-and-trade with the Rockets, Paul and LeBron could only join forces at one location. Now, they will have the ability to pick and choose wherever they want to go as a tandem, which could be Houston, LA {Lakers or Clippers (provided Doc is no longer with organization)}, or any other destination in-between.

I hope everyone is waking up and finally realizing that everything is going according to the the Banana Boat Crew's plan right now. Bron, Wade, CP3 are all unrestricted FAs next year now... Hmm. Coincidence? hell naw... this $hit has been well planned out.. The final shoe to drop is Melo getting bought out or traded to LA...

Cornbread78

Danny is a Hoarder. Give it up, Kiritobread.

aPBqeCd.png

Seriously.... I think everyone knows how I feel about the matter at this point;

Fu(k Danny.. Get ready for his "Sorry, I tried" interview on Sunday of Monday when PG gets traded elsewhere and Hayward resigns in Utah...

Rvaan

Banned
Per Michael Eaves on FB - basically Paul is leaving because Doc treats (or is perceived to treat) Austin Rivers preferentially, and Austin acts entitled according to multiple members on the team. What sealed it was Doc turning down a deal to send Jamal Crawford, Paul Pierce, and Austin Rivers to NYK for Carmelo and Sasha Vujacic
Doc should be fired for that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So lets play this out: CP3, Harden, and either PG13 or Melo gets them what, one, max two wins against the Warriors?

... Its June. Anything could happen. Maybe someone gets injured. Maybe the pairing works out better than you think.

Hell maybe Curry or Durant just leave for god knows whatever reason. They're both technically FA. Crazier shit has happened.

Boogs31

Seriously? Chris Paul is a top 10 player in the league. How does he not move the needle when the Rockets only sent 1 starter (Beverly) and three bench players to get him?

And you value depth over a top 10 player? I think it was a good move for the Clippers to get something for him as opposed to him leaving for nothing, but you don't become a better team when you lose an all nba player and get 1 starter and three bench dudes in return.

I'll take "Awful Takes" for $1000, Alex.

Hayward should give a real hard look at the Rockets, they're gonna be badass and he can fill a spot they desperately need.

I wonder what Ainge would do if Hayward doesn't go to Boston.

LionPride

Banned
Lou Will has been living life

Started in Philly with AI taking him to clubs and shit, then hanging with Meek

Then Atlanta

Then Toronto

Then La

Then Houston

Then LA AGAIN

Solid 6MOTY candidate tossed around like he ain't shit but always in a dope ass city

Gigglepoo

Rivers played with more heart in that playoff loss against Portland than CP3 has ever shown.

Top Bottom