• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

FZZ

Banned
You know damn well what it means

B82Nr3T_d.jpg

edit:

Fjordson

I'm sure this was discussed earlier in the thread, but I'm curious so hopefully someone can enlighten me.

Why would the Cavs throw the taxpayer midlevel at Cedi Osman instead of, say, someone like Jamal Crawford? That's a valuable offer they could have used to add depth and it feels like they threw it away.
Neither helps against Golden State and Crawford has declined sharply the last few years. They probably just went with the younger guy. Just my guess though.

jdstorm

Banned
The tax is good.

Why?

It doesn't help with competitive balance. What makes having a punnishing repeater tax that punnishes all but the richest teams good for parity in the NBA?

Edit: the NBA would be a much fairer and more interesting proposition if the Tax was scrapped in favor of unlimited amnesty and a hard cap. (Players still get paid their guarenteed money and teams can still keep your stars)

Sanjuro

Why?

It doesn't help with competitive balance. What makes having a punnishing repeater tax that punnishes all but the richest teams good for parity in the NBA?

God bless the salary cap.

The salary cap will keep us safe.

The salary cap won't get her pregnant.

jdstorm

Banned
Repeater tax is good. Going over the cap should be expensive.

that rule actually helps small markets unlike the supermax.

Lol. That is completely untrue. I'm going to need some reciepts.

Name 1 small market team with good players that the rule has helped. Yet Big Markets just raise their ticket prices/TV deals and easily absorb the cost of 100M+ tax bills.

Revenue sharing helps, but essentially the luxury tax system only serves to reinforce the idea that only Rich teams should be competitive. This combined with the competitive advantage big markets have in lureing free agents and the system is heavily favored towards big market teams.

Lol. That is completely untrue. I'm going to need some reciepts.

Name 1 small market team with good players that the rule has helped. Yet Big Markets just raise their ticket prices/TV deals and easily absorb the cost of 100M+ tax bills.

Revenue sharing helps, but essentially the luxury tax system only serves to reinforce the idea that only Rich teams should be competitive. This combined with the competitive advantage big markets have in lureing free agents and the system is heavily favored towards big market teams.
I am not soft cap is better for small markets. I am saying repeater tax is better than a fixed lower luxury tax bill.

Only problem is that it isn't aggressive enough. Should be scaling up more and faster.

Hard cap would have been the better solution

jdstorm

Banned
I am not soft cap is better for small markets. I am saying repeater tax is better than a fixed lower luxury tax bill.

Only problem is that it isn't aggressive enough. Should be scaling up more and faster.

Hard cap would have been the better solution

Wrong. In practice the Apron acts as a Hard cap. So a hard cap essentially exists. The Repeater tax is brutal because it sets the tax line as the basis for being competitive and then heavily punishes teams that are only a small amount over it for multiple years. Meanwhile big markets can afford to be deep into the tax.

The only thing a more agressive tax does is hardcap small market teams while softcapping the teams that can afford to pay the tax.

Edit.

A pure "Hard Cap" is also a bad sollution because the NBA uses guarenteed contracts (something the players will never give up) This would screw teams out of Keeping their stars due to timing and other issues.

Having an unlimited amnesty would help with that. Big markets are still favored since they could Amnesty their whole team every free agency and reliably attract free agents, but compared to the current system that would be an improvement.

The main issue is that player movement is too restricted and teams assume they have the right to keep all the stars they draft. This causes teams to try and store an "Asset surplus" within cheap rookie contracts and draft picks that they continue to recycle.

Untill Asset recycling/Tanking is punsihed and free agency is viable pathway for all teams in the NBA, basketball will continue to be unfair.

Sandfox

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania 20s20 seconds ago
Los Angeles Lakers' No. 2 overall pick Lonzo Ball has been named NBA Summer League MVP in Las Vegas.
Dude is going to get MVP chants from the bench or wherever he's sitting. And apparently it was unanimous lol.

He also has the highest assist average in SL history.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Tony Kornheiser on Lonzo Ball today (and I'm paraphrasing):

"Lonzo will be a STAR"

"The only player I cared about in this draft in terms of where they were actually going was Lonzo Ball"

When discussing Lonzo with his pro-golfer friend: "Lonzo will be a STAR"

I never knew Kornheiser was that enthusiastic for Lonzo. The way he's hyping him makes Lonzo sound like a once in a generational talent like Kobe or Lebron (Not Michael Jordan mind you, but there will never be another MJ)

Slizeezyc

Tony Kornheiser on Lonzo Ball today (and I'm paraphrasing):

"Lonzo will be a STAR"

"The only player I cared about in this draft in terms of where they were actually going was Lonzo Ball"

When discussing Lonzo with his pro-golfer friend: "Lonzo will be a STAR"

I never knew Kornheiser was that enthusiastic for Lonzo. The way he's hyping him makes Lonzo sound like a once in a generational talent like Kobe or Lebron (Not Michael Jordan mind you, but there will never be another MJ)

Well if Tony Kornheiser is in, then that changes EVERYTHING.

Kevtones

Lonzo ain't even off the porch yet and he's already ascended. Either way he's going falling back to earth once he gets struck by the Jarnell Stokes comet ☄️

Top Bottom