• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Lmao Paul George
If I were a thunder fan I'd just boo his ass, he already gone

MVP Brown x 🐐Ward vs Lonzo , George, lolebron
Celtics in 6 at home 😎

jdstorm

Banned
Lmao Paul George
If I were a thunder fan I'd just boo his ass, he already gone

MVP Brown x 🐐Ward vs Lonzo , George, lolebron
Celtics in 6 at home 😎

Sure. But most thunder fans know this already. Trading for Paul George was never about having George in OKC long term, it was a short term deal that alowed OKC to turn 4 years of Victor Oladipo and Domantis Sabonis into whatever Paul George is worth at the trade deadline.

It was also great insurance for getting fair value should Westbrook want to leave.

If just Westbrook wanted out, teams would be lowballing OKC like Crazy just like teams were lowballing Indianna. Yet package them (Westbrook and George) together and you are getting a bidding war between playoff teams as recieving 2 top 20 players is enough to potentially shift the balance of power in the NBA.

Sure. But most thunder fans know this already. Trading for Paul George was never about having George in OKC long term, it was a short term deal that alowed OKC to turn 4 years of Victor Oladipo and Domantis Sabonis into whatever Paul George is worth at the trade deadline.

It was also great insurance for getting fair value should Westbrook want to leave.

If just Westbrook wanted out, teams would be lowballing OKC like Crazy just like teams were lowballing Indianna. Yet package them (Westbrook and George) together and you are getting a bidding war between playoff teams as recieving 2 top 20 players is enough to potentially shift the balance of power in the NBA.

George is a free agent after the season they can't trade him wirh Russell.

Cornbread78

Am I the only one that foresees a bunch of shenanigans next off-season with LA? Lot's of hints from different players and cryptic $hit going on. Does Magic even know yet, or is this all the players?

I mean, you KNOW the guys are already talking about it and talking about going to LA, so maybe a bunch of reduced contracts for Lebron, Westbrook, Cousins, Lopez and George for 1 year? Any other vets need rings?

You already know it's the core of LeBron and PG13, but who else are they going to drag into it lol?

EWW3d6y.jpg

Am I the only one that foresees a bunch of shenanigans next off-season with LA? Lot's of hints from different players and cryptic $hit going on. Does Magic even know yet, or is this all the players?

I mean, you KNOW the guys are already talking about it and talking about going to LA, so maybe a bunch of reduced contracts for Lebron, Westbrook, Cousins, Lopez and George for 1 year? Any other vets need rings?

You already know it's the core of LeBron and PG13, but who else are they going to drag into it lol?

EWW3d6y.jpg

I'll sign with the Lakers for the veterans minimum. I'll be their Delly

EWW3d6y.jpg

I sorta agree, in the opposite sense. It's too smooth, after so many free agents rumored to LA and falling through and Paul George is finally the one to decide to just go there. Although Gordon Hayward was an all-star that actually went to the Celtics finally, so maybe it's a new era.I don't see LeBron going there at all, that's a load of crap. Why would he go West? LeBron has been rumored to the Lakers for every single one of his free agencies now.

Cornbread78

I sorta agree, in the opposite sense. It's too smooth, after so many free agents rumored to LA and falling through and Paul George is finally the one to decide to just go there. Although Gordon Hayward was an all-star that actually went to the Celtics finally, so maybe it's a new era.I don't see LeBron going there at all, that's a load of crap. Why would he go West? LeBron has been rumored to the Lakers for every single one of his free agencies now.

The Lebron stuff started from his wife wanting to go to LA, which resurfaced this year, but first came up before he went back to CLE. He got his choice 3 years ago, now it's time for her to get her choice....

The rest of it, well, after Durant took his 10 mil paycut, I think that opened the door even more for a bunch of $hit to go down. Silvers is about to face his toughest test yet......

I don't remember any substantial rumors of Bron to the Lakers before. Granted it's all speculation at this point to, and I personally don't think LeBron has his mind made up either way, but with the way the last two super team formations (Bron/Wade/Bosh all playing together and KD to GSW) were all heavily hinted at and telegraphed so far in advance, and with the way players nowadays are colluding to get where and what they want, I'm inclined to believe that where there is smoke there is probably some semblance of fire.

I don't remember any substantial rumors of Bron to the Lakers before. Granted it's all speculation at this point to, and I personally don't think LeBron has his mind made up either way, but with the way the last two super team formations (Bron/Wade/Bosh all playing together and KD to GSW) were all heavily hinted at and telegraphed so far in advance, and with the way players nowadays are colluding to get where and what they want, I'm inclined to believe that where there is smoke there is probably some semblance of fire.

I mean, the main things that works for the Lakers imo is that Cleveland/Gilbert have fucked up so hard doing nothing/getting worse this past off-season and that it's so hard to predict which teams will have cap-space and how teams can clear cap room if necessary

2019 and 2020's off-seasons are gonna be really interesting with the amount of money that should come off the books from 2016's bonanza of expensive 3 and 4 year deals and even how many players instead got 3 year deals in the 2017 off-season.

Tall4Life

Basically every good-great player is rumored to go to the Lakers every free agency. Memes of this exist for a reason
969051_675706825791178_1045246050_n.jpg

BsSVXNuCIAAnKI6.jpg

I'm even finding random things like "Kevin Love expected to opt out to join the Lakers" from a couple of years ago

ISOM

How would a playoff team be able to trade for both Westbrook and PG? The amount of assets and contracts that would have to go out between those two to make the deal feasible is pure fantasy.

If Westbrook was actually available in a trade OKC would be able to get a kings ransom for him alone. The idea that he would need to be packaged with George is ridiculous. Forcing them to go to the same team in a trade would just hurt their value since no team has enough assets for a fair trade for both of them.

I could see the Nets packaging all their first round draft picks for the next 10 years (after Boston is done with them) for a 2 month rental of Westbrook and George on a non-playoff team.

And then they both sign with LA.

If Westbrook was actually available in a trade OKC would be able to get a kings ransom for him alone. The idea that he would need to be packaged with George is ridiculous. Forcing them to go to the same team in a trade would just hurt their value since no team has enough assets for a fair trade for both of them.

Westbrook would essentially be an expiring contract. It'd be the same issues Indy had. Teams are hesistant to give up a haul to rent a star who's going to just walk after the year. It would cripple OKC's leverage.

Westbrook would essentially be an expiring contract. It'd be the same issues Indy had. Teams are hesistant to give up a haul to rent a star who's going to just walk after the year. It would cripple OKC's leverage.

Major difference in that there wouldn't be a team that would be the unquestionable favorites at worst for the next year.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/887337712516202497
Woj said:
Manu Ginobili and the Spurs are finalizing details of his imminent return for a 16th NBA season, league sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/MasonGinsberg/status/887334610899808256
Mason Ginsberg said:
Alvin Gentry says on the @DuncandHolder podcast that he plans to start Jrue Holiday as the #Pelicans' starting SG, alongside Rondo at PG.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...-Eliminate-Home-Road-Designations-In-Uniforms
RealGM said:
The NBA is eliminating "Home" and "Road" uniform designations as it begins its partnership with Nike.

Home teams will pick which of their uniforms will be worn at all home games and visiting teams will choose a contrasting uniform.

Because of this change, Nike and the NBA worked together to create four core uniforms for each team, classified as ”editions."

The first two editions of the NBA uniforms, which will be introduced by teams this summer and will make their on-court debut at the start of the season, are the Association and Icon editions.

The Association Edition will be the traditional home white uniform while the Icon Edition will be the traditional road uniform that uses the team's primary color.

Eight NBA teams will have a Classic Edition uniform that will celebrate iconic uniforms of the past.

NIKE AND THE NBA REVEAL THE FIRST OF THE LEAGUE'S 2017-18 GAME UNIFORMS

A NEW NAMING CONVENTION FOR NBA UNIFORMS

Coinciding with the introduction of the new uniforms, the NBA is eliminating its ”Home" and ”Road" uniform designations. Beginning with the 2017-18 season, home teams will pick which of their uniforms will be worn at all home games and visiting teams will choose a contrasting uniform within their own assortment.

Because of this change, Nike and the NBA worked together to create four core uniforms for each team, classified as ”editions," which draw from the rich heritage of the NBA and its respective franchises.

The first two editions of the NBA uniforms, which will be introduced by teams this summer and will make their on-court debut at the start of the season, are the Association and Icon editions. The two remaining core uniforms, inspired by the mindset of the NBA athlete and the communities that support their teams through thick and thin, respectively, will be revealed in the coming months.

The Association Edition
, the traditional home white uniform that all 30 teams will have in their assortment, links them as members of the most exclusive basketball club in the world. It represents an achievement that most athletes have worked their entire lives to reach.

The Icon Edition, previously known as the road uniform, represents the rich heritage and iconic identity that exists within each franchise. This edition utilizes the team's primary color, a color that dominates the closets of the most diehard fans.

Also this season, eight NBA teams will have a Classic Edition uniform that will be available in the fall. The Classic Edition celebrates some of the most iconic uniforms in league history and can be worn at each team's discretion.

Complementing the new uniform editions, Nike will also unveil a new on-court collection, including tights and socks, that provide a seamless look for the greatest athletes in the world when they play on the game's biggest stages.

TL;DR:
https://twitter.com/NickDePaula/status/887344697886351360
Nick DePaula said:
Each NBA team will have 4 jersey options
- Association (Classic white)
- Icon (Team color)
- Athlete Mindset
- Community (Locally inspired)
https://twitter.com/NickDePaula/status/887352240071217153
Nick DePaula said:
Overview of the 4 Nike jersey options that all 30 NBA teams will have: Association / Icon / Athlete Mindset / Community

DFCCKAgXYAEZabt.jpg

Bread

Banned
Westbrook hasn't tanked his value by stating he was going to LA though

http://www.nba.com/kings/nike

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/887364242718031872
@UniWatch said:
Comparison of old/new Kings purple uni, with new collar and crown icon moved from chest to waistband.
DFCNEFMVYAA3zIj.jpg

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/887359239588634624
@UniWatch said:
Side-by-side comparison of old and new Kings jerseys, showing new collar (and maker's mark and ad, obviously). No more crown on chest.
DFCIhGrVYAA-y7o.jpg

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/887362665546485760
@UniWatch said:
Comparison of side piping on old and new Kings uniforms.
DFCLoBgUMAA9CBU.jpg

https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/887344188391600129
@UniWatch said:
Side-by-side comparison of old and new Warriors jerseys, showing new collar and what appears to be thinner numerals (h/t @darrenrovell).
DFB6yFAUAAAMM4p.jpg

And I still think the Pacers should've and could've got a much better deal.

Tall4Life

That trade, tbf, would look a LOT better had the Bulls picked another played with the number 7 pick.

Also, Westbrook is in the tier of Harden/LeBron/Curry/Durant/Kawhi where he can guarantee you a playoff spot, imo

But yeah in all honesty, Westbrook is in a way higher tier AND he just won the MVP. That's enormous value.

Regarding the 8 throwback jerseys:

1 of them is guaranteed to be for the Hornets, given the leak with the jumpman logo instead of the Nike logo.

https://twitter.com/MattHalfhill/status/879157304888705024
Matt Halfhill said:
FIRST LOOK: The 2017 @hornets jerseys with the @jumpman23 logo
DDNkq7VVwAAbWDB.jpg

Also, based on the Paul Millsap press conference, the rainbow skyline jerseys are definitely coming back

Now, that Charlotte jersey matched perfectly with a previous design concept that was made, which seems to indicate the Hawks , Raptors, Rockets, and Wizards all get throwback jerseys. This one is much less sure though.

http://www.iambrianbegley.com/projects/nba-nike-uniform-concepts/

Actually nah, those concept designs are great, but there are more throwback jerseys than those drawn, so frget that.

CBS Sports had a nice paragraph of why the Spurs approached the offseason this way, and how they are positioned for next year.

Spurs in position, if they want in
Assuming LaMarcus Aldridge, Danny Green and Rudy Gay exercise early termination options next summer, here's what the Spurs have in guaranteed salary going into the summer: $35.5 million.
Most of that is tied up in Kawhi Leonard ($20.1 million) and Patty Mills ($11 million) and that's no coincidence. San Antonio didn't commit long-term money to rotation players this summer beyond Mills, who they needed with Tony Parker out. It's widely known they have been shopping Aldridge and that his fit there has been rough. So what does all this mean?
It could mean the Spurs are being careful, that they cleared space to pursue Paul (who went to the Rockets) and missed, so they chose not to spend. Whatever the intent, they are set up as a potential player in next summer's star bonanza. If you want to beat the Warriors, is there a better situation than playing for Popovich with good role players and a stable culture led by Leonard? Most every player in the league would take the Spurs' call. Could that include James? The Spurs rarely make such big moves, but it's worth keeping an eye on that potential $65 million available in San Antonio next summer.

As for the jersey news, all I ask for is Fiesta Colors.

jdstorm

Banned
How would a playoff team be able to trade for both Westbrook and PG? The amount of assets and contracts that would have to go out between those two to make the deal feasible is pure fantasy.

It would have to be 2 seperate trades but it is very possible. Westbrook and George are making a combined 47M this season thats about with the tax line roughly at 120M that means it would only take about 1/3rd of a team's sallary to get George + Westbrook

For instance Cleveland could match salaries with

Kyrie for George and then Thompson, Shump and Frye for Westbrook + Singler

Charlotte could offer Kemba, Zeller and Batum and the money would be close.

Washington could use Wall and Beal if they were worried about Wall opting out and leaving.

OKC in adition to these players would likely want picks, and teams with a real shot at a championship would make that deal since if it goes bad and both guys leave you have now cleared 48M in sallary and are under cap.

Slizeezyc

Going to be funny when Nerlens Noel can't even get that Meyers Leonard money. Sixers look dumber and dumber for that Noel trade at the deadline (as do the Nuggets with Plumlee).

Dragun619

CBS Sports had a nice paragraph of why the Spurs approached the offseason this way, and how they are positioned for next year.

That's some real nice cap room space, but who exactly are we hoping to land with it though? I mean, if LMA does leave, then I suppose we should chase after Cousins?

Otherwise, Kinda see a meh 2018 FA, with Bron Bron, Westbrook, & Paul George meeting with the Spurs then taking that offer to the Lakers or some shit like that. lol

Tom Penny

I could see the Nets packaging all their first round draft picks for the next 10 years (after Boston is done with them) for a 2 month rental of Westbrook and George on a non-playoff team.

And then they both sign with LA.

If they are going to lose Westbrook for nothing the Nets will get him for D'lo straight up.

Slizeezyc

That's some real nice cap room space, but who exactly are we hoping to land with it though? I mean, if LMA does leave, then I suppose we should chase after Cousins?

Otherwise, Kinda see a meh 2018 FA, with Bron Bron, Westbrook, & Paul George meeting with the Spurs then taking that offer to the Lakers or some shit like that. lol

The whole banana boat coming to SA next offseason.

Top Bottom