• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs 2019-2020 |OT|

Cutty Flam

Banned
Maybe early on, in the end of the 4th quarter LeBron iced him out of the game completely. Veteran player knows to let him get his shots early and watch when the refs swallow their whistles in the 4th. Could still be a 6 or 7 game series depending on AD's health.
I hope AD can play in the NBA Finals. Worried about Miami a bit. I think we can contain them a bit better than the Celtics can, but they might be a problem if they continue to knock down three after three the way they have been

Denver wont go away, their resiliency is astounding. Haven’t seen a single player on their roster back down an inch yet

I hope AD can play in the NBA Finals. Worried about Miami a bit. I think we can contain them a bit better than the Celtics can, but they might be a problem if they continue to knock down three after three the way they have been

Denver wont go away, their resiliency is astounding. Haven’t seen a single player on their roster back down an inch yet

You mean the Lakers contain the Heat? You can't. If Boston can't, then no one can. Boston has the best collection of perimeter defenders in the league and you still have at least one guy going HAM per game. It's ridiculous right now. However, the Heat is probably due for some regression and their zone defense is about at its breaking point. The Lakers can definitely outshoot the Heat.

Cutty Flam

Banned
You mean the Lakers contain the Heat? You can't. If Boston can't, then no one can. Boston has the best collection of perimeter defenders in the league and you still have at least one guy going HAM per game. It's ridiculous right now. However, the Heat is probably due for some regression and their zone defense is about at its breaking point. The Lakers can definitely outshoot the Heat.
Lakers have much better defenders than the Celtics. It’s likely see LAL vs MIA it will be a war of a series. Lakers wont fall 3-1

Cutty Flam

Banned
On the wings? No they don't friend, this isn't even a debate.
I think the Celtics have great wing defenders but the difference w/ overall defense is night and day. Lakers can cover any position no problem, can collapse the paint better than any other team, Lakers can defend the three ball, they've crossed out prominent guards multiple times in a row now, series after series

But what happened in game 4 with Tyler Herro; that's inexcusable. I understand that there will be those nights when someone explodes, and to be fair Herro was reading the defense to perfection, but you simply cannot allow a situation like that. Kemba had no chance at all, but Herro took every single guard and SF thrown at him to school yesterday. On paper the Celtics have better wing defenders but when it comes down to it, the Lakers' wings are performing better in all areas defense included. Have to get it done no matter what; find some way to disrupt an offense it doesn't matter what it is. KCP is always a solid defender. Caruso is a defensive stalwart at times and has shown to be incredibly capable has even locked down Jamal Murray of all players for stretches, LeBron (although I dislike how he takes plays off) can put the clamps on nearly anyone when it's time to, Rajon Rondo can still give quality minutes on defense at this stage in his career, JR Smith is a great defender, Avery Bradley is arguably the best but he's not going to play at all in the bubble

You can think whatever you like but tell me why the Lakers are convincingly moving past teams with superstar guards in convincing fashion, while the Celtics are wondering what hit them why they can't slow the roll of a rookie in a pivotal game. I'm not buying it Master Roshi, you gotta do better than that

You can think whatever you like but tell me why the Lakers are convincingly moving past teams with superstar guards in convincing fashion, while the Celtics are wondering what hit them why they can't slow the roll of a rookie in a pivotal game. I'm not buying it Master Roshi, you gotta do better than that

Dude, you're arguing that The Carushow, Rondo and KCP is a stronger perimeter defense than Smart, Brown and Tatum. That's not a conversation. That is false. The Heat are having success against Boston because they're exploiting the softer area of the Boston defense, which is inside. They drive and either shoot or pass to the open guy outside. Boston hasn't been able to contain that because Theis is having a very bad series and they lack depth at the big men position. Which is an area of strenght for the Lakers defense with AD and Lebron guarding the hoop.

So to expand on what I said, the Lakers can give the Heat some trouble. They can't guard the 3 ball as well as Boston can, but they can take out the inside game and force the Heat to live by the 3 and die by the 3. Which could very well work. Miami doesn't have a great shooting guard. Miami has a great shooting ARMY. Don't plan for a slow, grind 'em out game. Plan to outshoot them.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Dude, you're arguing that The Carushow, Rondo and KCP is a stronger perimeter defense than Smart, Brown and Tatum. That's not a conversation. That is false. The Heat are having success against Boston because they're exploiting the softer area of the Boston defense, which is inside. They drive and either shoot or pass to the open guy outside. Boston hasn't been able to contain that because Theis is having a very bad series and they lack depth at the big men position. Which is an area of strenght for the Lakers defense with AD and Lebron guarding the hoop.

So to expand on what I said, the Lakers can give the Heat some trouble. They can't guard the 3 ball as well as Boston can, but they can take out the inside game and force the Heat to live by the 3 and die by the 3. Which could very well work. Miami doesn't have a great shooting guard. Miami has a great shooting ARMY. Don't plan for a slow, grind 'em out game. Plan to outshoot them.
Believe it or not, they're actually playing much better than Tatum, Brown, and Smart on the defensive end. They're actually managing to cover their assignments. And there's a reason that they're prevailing while your Celtics are getting thrashed right now. Everything I said is true; there are very good wing defenders on the Lakers. The players you are arguing for are getting outplayed and torched by their own assignments lol. You can make excuses all you like; it all boils down to defense and you're only as good as your last win. Lakers have superior defensive guards and forwards. It would show just the same as I described it too, if the Celtics somehow manage to meet the Lakers in the NBA Finals they'd lose and you'd get to see firsthand how efficiently the Lakers' backcourt can defend

And you're not losing because of Theis bro, more to do with that of the wing players on the Miami Heat. For some reason, BOS cannot seem to stop Goran Dragic lol. He's been killing you guys. And now, twenty year old Herro? It's getting kinda savage, that should never happen to any team. Under the radar rookie beating you every play and hitting for 37 in a must win game? How do you back that up? That's poor defense

Believe it or not, they're actually playing much better than Tatum, Brown, and Smart on the defensive end. They're actually managing to cover their assignments. And there's a reason that they're prevailing while your Celtics are getting thrashed right now. Everything I said is true; there are very good wing defenders on the Lakers. The players you are arguing for are getting outplayed and torched by their own assignments lol. You can make excuses all you like; it all boils down to defense and you're only as good as your last win. Lakers have superior defensive guards and forwards. It would show just the same as I described it too, if the Celtics somehow manage to meet the Lakers in the NBA Finals they'd lose and you'd get to see firsthand how efficiently the Lakers' backcourt can defend

And you're not losing because of Theis bro, more to do with that of the wing players on the Miami Heat. For some reason, BOS cannot seem to stop Goran Dragic lol. He's been killing you guys. And now, twenty year old Herro? It's getting kinda savage, that should never happen to any team. Under the radar rookie beating you every play and hitting for 37 in a must win game? How do you back that up? That's poor defense

The Celtics are not getting thrashed, every game in this series has been close. It's not FOR SOME REASON Boston is having trouble slowing down Dragic, don't talk like he's a bum. He's balling right now. And Herro is a good player, I'm not sure what is the angle you're going for. You argue like a sports radio caller, I don't think this discussion is going to be very productive. If you think The Carushow, KCP and Rondo are better defenders than Smart, Brown and Tatum then yeah be happy thinking like that my friend.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The Celtics are not getting thrashed, every game in this series has been close. It's not FOR SOME REASON Boston is having trouble slowing down Dragic, don't talk like he's a bum. He's balling right now. And Herro is a good player, I'm not sure what is the angle you're going for. You argue like a sports radio caller, I don't think this discussion is going to be very productive. If you think The Carushow, KCP and Rondo are better defenders than Smart, Brown and Tatum then yeah be happy thinking like that my friend.
Celtics letting 34 year old 6’3 Goran Dragic score at will, Tyler Herro walking all over the team, I’d say the Celtics wings aren’t as great of defenders as you’d have us believe. I never said he was a bum, but the point still stands, why is that dude averaging career numbers on your squad when in the waning twilight years of his career? Herro is a frail rookie.... Celtics let that runt run wild on them lmao. And yeah, I am going to have fun thinking that, because right now, in their current series, they ARE fulfilling their roles on the defensive end unlike your boys over there crying in the locker room after each L

And this argument isn’t going to be very productive because you evade all the argument points completely and deflect. You’re delusional if you think the Celtics are doing a better job on the defensive end right now than those on the Lakers. Have you been watching the games? Have a closer look at the Lakers defense in game 5, they’re not likely to waiver. It’s going to be the same scenario: swarm Murray whenever possible and they’re going to limit his production and live with results of any other player getting theirs. Did you see LeBron defend Murray last night? I’m a big time skeptic of LeBron James but last night he went all in. Checked into the game with 6 min in the 4th, told Rondo to cover his man because Murray is now his; he’s guarding the best player on the floor. He made it extremely difficult for Murray. He didn’t score a single field goal attempt in those final six minutes, not one

You can call me whatever you like, a sports show caller whatever, my argument still stands. I don’t make excuses for ANY player in the league, not even for those that play on my favorite team. Never. That would be disrespectful to the game in my eyes. Calling it how I see it every time and while I do see great defense from the Celtics, they’re still coming up short against players that shouldn’t be as much of a factor as they are i.e. Dragic, Herro, Duncan Robinson, even Jae Crowder is moving a bit too freely out there most games, actually came up big and made Celtics pay gm 1

Rondo, Caruso, KCP are not household names like Tatum, Brown, Smart but I guarantee you they’re putting in work

Celtics letting 34 year old 6’3 Goran Dragic score at will, Tyler Herro walking all over the team, I’d say the Celtics wings aren’t as great of defenders as you’d have us believe. I never said he was a bum, but the point still stands, why is that dude averaging career numbers on your squad when in the waning twilight years of his career? Herro is a frail rookie.... Celtics let that runt run wild on them lmao. And yeah, I am going to have fun thinking that, because right now, in their current series, they ARE fulfilling their roles on the defensive end unlike your boys over there crying in the locker room after each L

And this argument isn’t going to be very productive because you evade all the argument points completely and deflect. You’re delusional if you think the Celtics are doing a better job on the defensive end right now than those on the Lakers. Have you been watching the games? Have a closer look at the Lakers defense in game 5, they’re not likely to waiver. It’s going to be the same scenario: swarm Murray whenever possible and they’re going to limit his production and live with results of any other player getting theirs. Did you see LeBron defend Murray last night? I’m a big time skeptic of LeBron James but last night he went all in. Checked into the game with 6 min in the 4th, told Rondo to cover his man because Murray is now his; he’s guarding the best player on the floor. He made it extremely difficult for Murray. He didn’t score a single field goal attempt in those final six minutes, not one

You can call me whatever you like, a sports show caller whatever, my argument still stands. I don’t make excuses for ANY player in the league, not even for those that play on my favorite team. Never. That would be disrespectful to the game in my eyes. Calling it how I see it every time and while I do see great defense from the Celtics, they’re still coming up short against players that shouldn’t be as much of a factor as they are i.e. Dragic, Herro, Duncan Robinson, even Jae Crowder is moving a bit too freely out there most games, actually came up big and made Celtics pay gm 1

Rondo, Caruso, KCP are not household names like Tatum, Brown, Smart but I guarantee you they’re putting in work

Lakers exceptionalism truly is a thing. You guys can't be satisfied with just getting to the Finals and having a shot at a chip, it has to come with belittling everyone else. Who the fuck needs Marcus Smart when you have THE CARUSHOW and since Herro and Dragic scored a lot of points on the Celtics and I'm going to pretend those guys SUCK. Herro is frail, Dragic is old and waning, Celtics are stinky. I don't feel like playing this game friend, so please, by all means, if you think the Lakers have a better group of wing defenders than the Celtics then enjoy being wrong. I will not try to dissuade you.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Lakers exceptionalism truly is a thing. You guys can't be satisfied with just getting to the Finals and having a shot at a chip, it has to come with belittling everyone else. Who the fuck needs Marcus Smart when you have THE CARUSHOW and since Herro and Dragic scored a lot of points on the Celtics and I'm going to pretend those guys SUCK. Herro is frail, Dragic is old and waning, Celtics are stinky. I don't feel like playing this game friend, so please, by all means, if you think the Lakers have a better group of wing defenders than the Celtics then enjoy being wrong. I will not try to dissuade you.
It aint a game bro. It’s just me reiterating what's already happened on the court. That's it. My perspective of what I saw take place on the hardwood

And again, Lakers players are better defenders than the Celtics. It's true. I don't need you to say a word or try to 'dissuade' me; I know what I see. LAL have moved past far more prolific superstars than anyone the Celtics have seen this playoffs. In far more convincing fashion as well. Wonder how.......

It's not an issue though. I respect anyone who loves the game. You don't need to argue, but remember, you were the one who outright called me wrong expected me to accept your false claim and still you have little to say. That’s your decision. I stated how the Lakers players are delivering on both ends, but you obviously took it with a grain of salt for whatever reason(s)

Alex Caruso is a very, very solid defender. KCP as well. You already know what Rondo is capable of. I’m just saying, with their defensive efforts, and the rest, it’s of no surprise to me that the Lakers have done so well up to this point in the playoffs. Player for player the Lakers are doing the most that I see. And the only series that I think will be a toss up is when the Heat most likely rise up out the East. Lakers or Denver, whoever plays the Heat are going to have to lay down some serious plans and execute. It’s not going to be an easy series

And again, Lakers players are better defenders than the Celtics. It's true. I don't need you to say a word or try to 'dissuade' me; I know what I see. LAL have moved past far more prolific superstars than anyone the Celtics have seen this playoffs. In far more convincing fashion as well. Wonder how.......

It hasn't been through defense. Currently the Nuggets are spoting a 114.7 ORtg, which is higher than what Miami has against Boston. Jamal Murray has better numbers than he did against the Clippers. The Lakers are just being able to outshoot everyone, which is fine. The Rockets had a .534 eFG% against the Lakers, which is considerably higher than what the Celtics have allowed this post-season against anyone, but the Lakers countered with a ridiculous .585 eFG%. They haven't won through defense, however they found a way. But apparently that's not enough for you, you need to make shit up. True Lakers exceptionalism.

Cutty Flam

Banned
It hasn't been through defense. Currently the Nuggets are spoting a 114.7 ORtg, which is higher than what Miami has against Boston. Jamal Murray has better numbers than he did against the Clippers. The Lakers are just being able to outshoot everyone, which is fine. The Rockets had a .534 eFG% against the Lakers, which is considerably higher than what the Celtics have allowed this post-season against anyone, but the Lakers countered with a ridiculous .585 eFG%. They haven't won through defense, however they found a way. But apparently that's not enough for you, you need to make shit up. True Lakers exceptionalism.
It has been though. It's a double edged sword. You do not win these series the way the Lakers have been without crushing defense. It's clear that the Lakers are killing it on both ends. And it's not that simple. I see what you're saying with those numbers, but tell me what do those numbers mean and say EXACTLY? They’re nothing more than numbers with zero context. You don’t know how those numbers are scored. What took place each play to put those numbers up? You see what I’m saying? Where's the source / link for that number you came up with anyway, and what are you trying to say by showing it? You have to give more detail. You mean to say, that because two different teams are posting different scores, somehow the higher number means the team guarding that team is playing worse defense? Again, it's not that simple; you're not accounting for a number of other factors that take place and decide who is the better defensive team. It's impossible to gauge entirely off of numbers; they probably don’t even account for half the story in any given game if you took everything into consideration. Eye test is what you need to go by

I mean, if you want to duck logic again, that’s fine but here’s a fourth chance to actually engage into this argument you seem to think does not exist: Tell me how the Lakers have won their games solely on offense? What you’re trying to tell me, doesn’t make any sense. You win games by scoring more every single time, yeah, but how do ensure you do that? By getting stops on the defensive end. Go ahead. Let’s hear how the Lakers just outshoot their opponents every time and fail to win off their defense. Here’s the twist: You can’t. I don’t make shit up, if you don’t understand how games are won that’s on you

Looking forward to the Celtics trying to climb out the hole they dug themselves

by failing to defend 😉

Enjoy the game Master Roshi

It has been though. It's a double edged sword. You do not win these series the way the Lakers have been without crushing defense. It's clear that the Lakers are killing it on both ends. And it's not that simple. I see what you're saying with those numbers, but tell me what do those numbers mean and say EXACTLY? They’re nothing more than numbers with zero context. You don’t know how those numbers are scored. What took place each play to put those numbers up? You see what I’m saying? Where's the source / link for that number you came up with anyway, and what are you trying to say by showing it? You have to give more detail. You mean to say, that because two different teams are posting different scores, somehow the higher number means the team guarding that team is playing worse defense? Again, it's not that simple; you're not accounting for a number of other factors that take place and decide who is the better defensive team. It's impossible to gauge entirely off of numbers; they probably don’t even account for half the story in any given game if you took everything into consideration. Eye test is what you need to go by

I mean, if you want to duck logic again, that’s fine but here’s a fourth chance to actually engage into this argument you seem to think does not exist: Tell me how the Lakers have won their games solely on offense? What you’re trying to tell me, doesn’t make any sense. You win games by scoring more every single time, yeah, but how do ensure you do that? By getting stops on the defensive end. Go ahead. Let’s hear how the Lakers just outshoot their opponents every time and fail to win off their defense. Here’s the twist: You can’t. I don’t make shit up, if you don’t understand how games are won that’s on you

First of all, here's my very obscure source. The numbers mean exactly what they sound like they mean. The Nuggets have scored at ease against the Lakers. They're losing the series because the Lakers are outscoring them. This back and forth has gotten a bit psychedelic friend, I do not understand what you want out of me. So I'll try to make my points by answering specific questions. Are the Lakers a better team the Celtics? Right now, yes. Do they have a better offense? Right now yes, during the regular season no (Boston ranked 4th, LA ranked 11th). Do they have a better defense? Right now no, but during the regular season they did (they were the 3rd ranked defense, Boston was 4th). How did they achieve this if I said Boston had better wing defenders? Through interior defense, AD is a fucking animal. Are they better equipped to win now? Yes. Did Boston shit the bed against Miami? Yes. They have also scored the exact same amount of points as the Heat, it's a crazy competitive series that could have gone either way. Which team has the better group of wing defenders? The one with Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum.

If you disagree let's just agree to disagree please.

Cutty Flam

Banned
If you disagree let's just agree to disagree please.
Indeed we shall, Mr. Lionel Roshi Richie. Yes sir. Easy like Sunday morning

ScratchyForkedErmine-small.gif

Classy move by the Heat. Someone told them Marlins score at halftime so instead of beating Boston and taking all the shine, they tanked and let the Marlins get their well deserved applause for making the MLB playoffs for the first time in 17 years. No classier organization than the Heat.

Classy move by the Heat. Someone told them Marlins score at halftime so instead of beating Boston and taking all the shine, they tanked and let the Marlins get their well deserved applause for making the MLB playoffs for the first time in 17 years. No classier organization than the Heat.

Red Sox with a CLUTCH come from ahead loss tonight, Brasier and Springs were TANK COMMANDERS.

Cutty Flam

Banned
This is the best case scenario if Lakers win tonight and the Celtics continue to push the series forward

I honestly don't know which team is more to fear in the Finals, Heat or Celtics. I think if it was on me to choose if there was a choice lol I'd pick the Heat and live the results. Don't want to see Hayward and Kemba Walker hitting shots if Tatum and Brown are consistently produccing. That, and the energy behind a Lakers vs Celtics NBA Finals fuels some unheard of energy. Even without a crowd, it would cause the same tension I feel among the franchises and experience wouldn't matter a whole lot in LeBron's / Rondo's / JaVale's / Dwight's favor. All have seen the final stage of the playoffs, but anything can happen then. Seen it so many times

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There are two excellent commercials running non stop during the playoffs.

Auto Traders Opera NBA commercial.

And that GOAT clothing commercial.

Both demand your attention.

Cutty Flam

Banned
LBJ going to his 10th NBA Finals.

He only missed the NBA Finals 7 times.
There’s time to prepare now too. Lakers better not lose to either team, especially not the Heat

I can see the Lakers possibly falling to the Celtics, but I think the Heat shouldn’t stand a chance if all players come out to play. Can’t have Kuzma or Danny Green fucking things up, that’s the only concern

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I know the Lakers want the Miami and Celtics series to go 7 games to give this team some rest.

LeBron seemed hobbled a bit after he injured his ankle in game 2 and David injured his badly in game 4.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I'm happy for you Cutty Flam Cutty Flam , enjoy it! I hope we make it, but if we can't this year then the Lakers better return next season.
Thanks Master Roshi. I personally wont be satisfied until they're holding the trophy. If they lose and put up a fight for the ages then I'll also be satisfied, but losing to the Heat or Celtics would be a devastating blow since I think, unfortunately, Father Time is going to kick in the door and start bashing LeBron with a spiked bat fairly soon. His level of play at age 35 is almost unbelievable. Something to look forward to would be getting tickets for a Lakers vs Celtics NBA Finals, don't think there will ever be such a feel to a game, I imagine. You should hear the fans in the nosebleeds during regular season games. Can't even imagine what the atmosphere would be like at Staples Center when the Lakers face off against the Celtics

Thanks Master Roshi. I personally wont be satisfied until they're holding the trophy. If they lose and put up a fight for the ages then I'll also be satisfied, but losing to the Heat or Celtics would be a devastating blow since I think, unfortunately, Father Time is going to kick in the door and start bashing LeBron with a spiked bat fairly soon. His level of play at age 35 is almost unbelievable. Something to look forward to would be getting tickets for a Lakers vs Celtics NBA Finals, don't think there will ever be such a feel to a game, I imagine. You should hear the fans in the nosebleeds during regular season games. Can't even imagine what the atmosphere would be like at Staples Center when the Lakers face off against the Celtics

I think the Lakers should be favored against both the Celtics and Heat, I'm not even sure it would be a very close series. Lebron and AD are giving me Kobe and Shaq flashbacks and they seem to be peaking at the right time. The atmosphere of a Lakers/Celtics Finals is unparalleled in the sport. I know this is annoying to people who aren't fans of either franchise, but it IS special. I saw a couple of them and it was tangible.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Jr doing what he does best.

Ei5T-ldXsAATuMI

Lol where the fuck is CARUSO!? The Bald Mamba? I know AD is probably getting his ankle treated

I think the Lakers should be favored against both the Celtics and Heat, I'm not even sure it would be a very close series. Lebron and AD are giving me Kobe and Shaq flashbacks and they seem to be peaking at the right time. The atmosphere of a Lakers/Celtics Finals is unparalleled in the sport. I know this is annoying to people who aren't fans of either franchise, but it IS special. I saw a couple of them and it was tangible.
Versus the Heat I think LAL can manage but it's a different ballgame when LAL and BOS are pitted against each other in the NBA Finals. But no matter which team makes out the Eastern Conference Finals , I doubt this is going to be an easy year to claim the trophy. If there is one thing I know it is that anything can happen in the NBA Finals. There is one interesting trend that I have noticed every time that LeBron James faces a team with excellent outside shooting: every time it has been a nail biter or a loss for him. This year is different because his team is the aggressor and able to play at a high level in all areas. But this postseason the Lakers are putting together is also very surprising to me. KCP is finally delivering consistently but I don't know how he will respond in the next series. Rondo is hitting threes consistently which is great but if his three ball fails him in the finals it's not going to be a good look when we'll definitely need it to contend with the slew of shooters on both the Heat and Celtics. And Danny Green isn't shooting all that great. Going to need him to step up and hit big shots. AD is injured, badly I think, but is doing everything to play through it so that might be an issue at some point

Lakers are favored but there is A LOT that can go wrong and I don't underestimate the greatness of the Heat or Celtics, both two highly decorated NBA franchises. Pat Riley's iron fist and leadership is nothing to take lightly. And for some reason, whenever the Lakers play the Celtics it is a fight to the death basically. Even when the Lakers had no business winning more than a game in that 2008 series, out of pride they still managed to claim two just because the Celtics were their opponent. I'll never forget that game where Sasha Vujacic and Kobe Bryant willed the team to their first win over the Celtics in game 3. After game 1, especially when KG tip slammed a missed shot over Pau Gasol, I knew the series was over lol. You could feel it. As soon as that play happened, and the Boston Garden exploded I knew that series was a wrap

Rambling at this point, but in a nutshell, I don't underestimate teams or energy when it comes the NBA Finals. There have been some glorious showdowns imo in the last 20 years of basketball

Top Bottom