• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC cancel Al Roker and Tamron Today hour for Megyn Kelly (Want to be next Fox News)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-et-fi-kelly-today-nbc-20170127-story.html

C is dropping the third hour of its morning show “Today” to make room for a new talk show with former Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly.

Staffers of the third-hour show, known as “Today’s Take,” were informed of the decision after Friday’s program. An NBC representative declined to comment.

Kelly's new show will debut in the fall and air in the 9 a.m. or 10 a.m. hour, said two people familiar with the plans who were not authorized to comment publicly.

If it airs at 10 a.m., the current fourth hour of “Today” with Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford will move to 9 a.m

Other people who work at “Today” who have been briefed on the plans but were not authorized to discuss them said NBC News is leaning toward giving Kelly the 10 a.m. slot with a live show in front of a studio audience. If that’s the case, it will not have the “Today” brand name.

Al Roker, the weather anchor for "Today" from 7 to 9 a.m., and Tamron Hall are the current co-anchors of the third hour.
There is a desire among NBC News management to keep Hall as part of the “Today” family but no plans have been finalized. Hall, the first African American woman to be a regular co-anchor on “Today," is also a daytime news anchor on MSNBC.

so they will move Kathy Lee show to the 9 AM slot to give Megyn Kelly the 10 AM slot for her own branded show, and push out Al and Tamron's hour. Pure BS if you ask me.

But NBC has been on record saying they want to be more conservative, so I guess Megyn Kelly is the beginning of that.

https://www.aol.com/article/enterta...t-nbc-wants-to-be-the-next-fox-news/21703149/

After NBC hired on Fox News darlings Greta Van Susteren and Megyn Kelly, media insiders are claiming that the network is trying to be "the next Fox News."

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
You can't be the next fox news. That market is covered. Fox is powerful, they are outflanked by Breitbart/Infowars, with whatever site that grovelling fuck Beck runs grovelling behind. They were better placed where they were on the left, which is a far more open market. Weird move.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
You can't be the next fox news. That market is covered. Fox is powerful, they are outflanked by Breitbart/Infowars, with whatever site that grovelling fuck Beck runs grovelling behind. They were better placed where they were on the left, which is a far more open market. Weird move.

None of the broadcast networks have tried packaging right wing propaganda like Fox News yet, not even Fox (ironically enough)

Could work out for them.

Slayven

NBC love getting rid of minority women

"Next hour veggie lasagna and how black on black crime is ruining america"

Dabanton

Will anyone want to watch her on NBC in large numbers?

On FOX News she was a 'hit' as she was another drone parroting the company line. On NBC will she be doing the same? Will she soften her stance on things?

Her and FOX News are entwined together.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Go suck a peacock NBC.

I heard MSNBC is turning into a weird conservative channel too.

ICO_SotC

I'm not a fan of Gretchen Carlson at all, but it's gross how Megyn Kelly has been allowed to ride off of Carlson's almost heroic take down of Roger Ailes, simply becuase Kelly is the hotter blonde.

Kimawolf

Go suck a peacock NBC.

yeah they want to go more right than left. Hiring Greta was part of that plan supposedly. They want their news division to be like Fox News so i imagine they'll begin hiring more conservative people. Rachel Maddow may end up being the Alan Combes of MSNBC in five years lol.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Probably because they are trying to capture the audience that still watches TV (forty and above). Why would they go after the population that doesn't watch tv (liberal millennials).

Kimawolf

Kelly left a prime time slot on Fox for a 10 AM slot on NBC. Her lead-in is the light and fluffy Today show.

Huh.

Her ultimate goal is to be the next Tom Brokaw. She wants an eventual prime time slot, this is just a stepping stone for her. She also wants to be taken "seriously" as a journalist.

With NBC moving more to the right, that means Fox News is going to have to move further to the right as well. Wouldn't surprise me if Murdoch bought out Glen Becks network to get Tomi Lehren in the fold. Fox also has the money to buy out Breitbart if they want....imagine Milo Yiunoppolis as one of their corespondents

Go suck a peacock NBC.

I mean, none of the mainstream cable channels are really liberal. Moderate at most, with heavy doses of 'both sides are the same.' MSNBC is weird in general. It really seems to fluctuate between more right and left leaning.

Zackat

With NBC moving more to the right, that means Fox News is going to have to move further to the right as well. Wouldn't surprise me if Murdoch bought out Glen Becks network to get Tomi Lehren in the fold. Fox also has the money to buy out Breitbart if they want....imagine Milo Yiunoppolis as one of their corespondents
Nightmare fuel. Good thing I don't watch shitty TV news anymore, or at least very little.

jmood88

Her ultimate goal is to be the next Tom Brokaw. She wants an eventual prime time slot, this is just a stepping stone for her. She also wants to be taken "seriously" as a journalist.
She's also getting paid $12 million a year, so I'm sure she's cool with whatever spot NBC has to give her.

When did Tom Brokaw do a morning show

Total audience mismatch which many expected when NBC hired her

Dammit - in all honestly i was cautiously curious to see how Kelly would be outside of the Fox News bubble, but not like this. Not like this at all.

Greta on msnbc had been boring as hell. I expect the same here.

All the news agencies don't realize that to the trump voter they are fake news so going after them is pointless

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I wonder how Lorne Michaels and the rest of SNL feel about this since they've been making a point of it to stick to Trump on a regular basis? I kinda got the impression that NBC was extremely liberal.

Blader

How often do these cross-network transitions even work out? How much of the primetime Fox News audience will now watch 10am daytime talk shows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom