• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Football 07 screens and videos (No 360, so non-football fans stay out!)

DMczaf

http://sports.ign.com/articles/702/702305p1.html

This is just part of the new emphasis on not only trick plays, but special teams. You'll find reverse runs, fake reverses, and of course, a new way to block both punts and kicks. In one-player games, you can actually switch to a new camera that focuses in on the defensive player you want to use in attempting to block the kick.

Hit the sprint button right before or right at the snap of the ball, and your player will explode off the line, getting a jump on the tackle or guard as you dive toward the ball with an all new set of animations specifically for blocking kicks.

But with every action, the other team has an opposite and equal reaction as for the first time, gamers will be able to abort kicks while the play is in process, turning the holder into a quarterback if you sense the defense is about to block the ball. Even onside kicks have been given an overhaul as the camera shot is on the ball and you move an icon on the pigskin where you want to thrust your foot (helped out with the all new kick meter that uses the right analog stick to pull back to start the motion, then flick up to kick, even aiming left or right). Kick it on the top to send it straight down into the turf for the high bounce or kick underneath it to try and lob it in the air. The choice is yours (although the big bounce is the way to go).

Other gameplay tweaks include more accurate throwing power (you can finally see the difference in velocity between a star QB from USC and some scrub from D2), along with less broken tackles throughout the game. Last year, there were too many small running backs who could all break through the line no problem. This year, it depends more on rating, with the smaller guys slipping tackles instead of trucking over everyone in their way. In addition, look for formation specific audibles. Using the right analog stick at the line of scrimmage, you will have four audibles automatically at your disposal for every formation. This way, you're not changing in and out of formations when changing your play, enabling you to hide your calls a bit better from your competition.

You can't flip on the game without noticing the ESPN impact. ESPN.com stat screens, online ESPN tickers, ESPN radio. The Greatest Games feature is now called ESPN Instant Classics. The magazine in Dynasty mode has switched from SI to ESPN. In the coming years, expect the integration to become even deeper and creative, but what's here already is pretty cool, especially the ticker. When online, you can have the ticker display scores from real life or from your dynasty, keeping you up to date on whatever season actually means more to you (tough choice).

Check back to IGN Sports tomorrow for the exclusive first look at NCAA Football 07 for the Xbox 360. Also be sure to check out IGN Weekly this Friday for interviews and footage straight from EA Tiburon. Until then, click on the media links to watch direct feed of the game, including a trick play and a one-handed grab that will make any Wolverine proud.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I am looking forward to this game. University of Houston will win the National Championship!!!!

Zep

Banned
Awww man...That slow-mo shit is back. Just glad it can be turned off. Besides that? It looks like NCAA, nothing new. The quick jump off the line could be good or bad.

Can't wait for tomarrow.

Tiger

Banned
Other gameplay tweaks include more accurate throwing power (you can finally see the difference in velocity between a star QB from USC and some scrub from D2), along with less broken tackles throughout the game. Last year, there were too many small running backs who could all break through the line no problem. This year, it depends more on rating, with the smaller guys slipping tackles instead of trucking over everyone in their way. In addition, look for formation specific audibles. Using the right analog stick at the line of scrimmage, you will have four audibles automatically at your disposal for every formation. This way, you're not changing in and out of formations when changing your play, enabling you to hide your calls a bit better from your competition.
I love how every year they claim that this is the ultimate edition of the game, and then the next year they claim that they've fixed all these problems.

Smokey

dskillzhtown said:
I am looking forward to this game. University of Houston will win the National Championship!!!!

I'm in Houston too, but come on man:)

Anyway that screen looks exact same as last years. I can't wait until they show off the 360 version tomorrow. Oh wait, yes I can. I promise if Tiburon fucks up the 360 version of this legendary franchise as much as they did with Madden 360..then..I don't know what I'll do..

..I just know they better not.

I'm probably the biggest NCAA fan on this board, but there's nothing that really excites me about this article. There are a few fixes and tweaks that should make the game better, but trick plays and special teams don't exactly wet my whistle, and the Big Man on Campus is even dumber than Race for the Heisman!

The article reads more like a puff piece written by EA than an analysis after having played the game. Why is there never any talk of fixing all of the small problems that this series has had for years?!?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the 360 version tomorrow. Please don't screw this game up as NCAA is ALWAYS my football game of choice.

Zep

Banned
Can't wait to see a virtual Mark May tomarrow.

Tiger said:
Call me crazy, but didn't we already see pics of the 360 version a few days ago?

Movies man...we need to see movies!

Azwethinkweiz said:
Mark May is the worst thing to happen to ESPN since Lou Holtz.

Mark May was on far before Lou Holtz, and he is MUCH better than Lou Holtz. Lou Holtz is the worst thing to EVER happen to ESPN. He actually makes me miss Trev Alberts.

Here is how I would rank the ESPN NCAA personalities:

Ivan Maisel
Kirk Herbstreit
Rece Davis
Mark May
Chris Fowler
Lee Corso
Desmond Howard
Nick Lachey
Lou Holtz

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
this sounds awesome. I'm pumped.... I love how they're tweaking the audibles and the kick blocking stuff, too. Should be great.

qcf x2

Man do I hope the 360 version: A.) looks better than the pics B.) plays nothing like Madden 360

If so, guaranteed purchase

O MAN, I'M SOOO JUCIED FOR TOMORROW.

EA if you F up the 360 version I will never forgive you. And if they do F up the 360 version, MS please make the xbox version BC with the 360.

Please EA, makes tomorrow one of the happiest days in my young life. Yeah I know its sad, but you guys don't know how much I love NCAA Football and my Florida State Seminoles.

Also EA, the tomahawk reward stickers on the Noles helmet have not been applied right for years. Please correct this on the 360 version, thanks.

GO NOLES!

mmlemay said:
Mark May was on far before Lou Holtz, and he is MUCH better than Lou Holtz.

I know that he was there first, but I can't think of anyone who sucks as bad as either of those two jokers, so that's all I had to work with. Everytime I see those two idiots on at the same time I expect some rift in the time-space suck continuum to open up and destroy the college football universe.

DMczaf

FMT! Stop dodging this thread! You know EA called you out!

Other gameplay tweaks include more accurate throwing power (you can finally see the difference in velocity between a star QB from USC and some scrub from D2), along with less broken tackles throughout the game. Last year, there were too many small running backs who could all break through the line no problem. This year, it depends more on rating, with the smaller guys slipping tackles instead of trucking over everyone in their way.

You are lucky EA found you out a year late!

Leewan

mmlemay said:
Mark May was on far before Lou Holtz, and he is MUCH better than Lou Holtz. Lou Holtz is the worst thing to EVER happen to ESPN. He actually makes me miss Trev Alberts.

An Auburn fan missing Trev Alberts? An Auburn fan missing the guy that picks UGA to win every game.

The impact the momentum makes sounds absolutely horrible, and I'm envisioning the computer using trick plays at horrible times.

From the improvements they've mentioned, I'm most interested in seeing how they've changed the playbooks between teams.

Hopefully, IGN has video for the 360 version tomorrow...I'm praying it looks like the NCAA/Madden of old in motion.

DMczaf

Hopefully, IGN has video for the 360 version tomorrow...I'm praying it looks like the NCAA/Madden of old in motion.

It still bothers me that Madden PS2 moves more realistic then Madden 360, you would think the game animations would get SMOOTHER with the transition to X360 yet they somehow screwed that up.

PhatSaqs

Banned
ncaa-football-360-first-look-20060420093106554.jpg

Looks like it's using the Madden 360 engine.

Mrbob

Using satellites (where and when EA got satellites I have no idea and they wouldn't tell me), the crew at EA Sports was able to capture the exact sun position for every stadium, including latitude, longitude, time (including daylight savings time), and temperature differences throughout the year. This translates into the kind of dynamic lighting that gives the game the most photorealistic nature of any sports title I've seen to date. You'll see the sun in its accurate location in the sky for every game, dropping the realistic shadows throughout the stadium. It's the first time playing in January actually feels like playing in January as you watch the cloudy sky turn dark and the rain drench the field as time progresses and you're driving for that game-winner. Even if you're only playing five minute quarters, the lighting and weather will change like it would for a three hour game in South Bend.

:EEK :EEK

But don't think this is just a visual upgrade of Madden 360 with a college feel. Thanks to a motion-capture session where over 10,000 moves were captured, you can expect to see tighter animations than Madden, including brutal blindside hits, cutblocks that send defenders flipping head over cleat, and even defensive players jumping over blockers trying to cut them down low. The NCAA team learned from what went right and what went wrong with Madden, and with the extra time is trying to fine-tune the gameplay while implementing the passion and pageantry of college football. The NCAA team was even able to get the actual CAD data from the different helmet companies in order to use the exact data and place it right on top of their player heads.

Good.

I just noticed those pics above look like a bowling minigame! :lol

Smokey

I played NCAA 06 for the first time in a while yesterday on PS2 and that game is fuckin awesome!

I just read the preview for the 360 version, and I can't wait for this shit! The stadiums look INSANE. I sincerely hope they can pull this off and not dissapoint like Madden did. I don't really care about the NFL, but I DO care about my college football.

For now thouhg, NCAA 07 on 360 = BONAFIDE!

Mrbob

The only bad thing is while all of these mini-games seem like perfect fits online, they are not playable on Xbox Live.

BOOOOOOoooooooooooo!

The only other slightly disappointing item is that it is another ea sports 360 game offering less features than the current gen version, but I dont care about campus legend. Franchise is in at least.

Smokey

Mrbob said:
BOOOOOOoooooooooooo!

The only other slightly disappointing item is that it is another ea sports 360 game offering less features than the current gen version, but I dont care about campus legend. Franchise is in at least.

I'm interested in the massively enchanced playbooks and trick plays that the current gen versions of the game offeres. I guess I'll be buying the 360 version, and renting the others to see what they offer.

NME

Azwethinkweiz said:
Mark May is the worst thing to happen to ESPN since Lou Holtz.

Whoa whoa whoa. Never forget:

96jlta.jpeg

And as far as commentators go, I simply cannot take Pam Ward seriously. Not because she is a woman, but because she is a woman with a deeper voice than ever other (male) commentator on the network.

Oddly enough, when I first saw her on Sportscenter, I though she was a guy in drag.

SonnyBoy

*crosses fingers for dynamic physics for Madden 2007.

I may just purchase NCAA for the 1st time to hold me off till Madden drops, when is the release date for NCAA?

NME

SonnyBoy said:
*crosses fingers for dynamic physics for Madden 2007.

I may just purchase NCAA for the 1st time to hold me off till Madden drops, when is the release date for NCAA?

Looks to be July 3rd. But you know how monday release dates go.

When the band plays the school fight song, fans will clap along, and best of all, you'll finally see fans participate in everything from the Florida State War Chant (chop and all), to the Florida Gator Chomp.

OMG! I'm in heaven.

Edit: F U Florida

SonnyBoy

Dag!! July??? I was hoping it'd come out earlier to justify me getting both.

To those who consistently play the NCAA series, what does it bring to the table/do differently that warrants a purchase?

I noticed that the stadium/crowd is a lot more interactive.

shpankey

not an idiot
haven't had a chance to read it yet, but did they mention if they got the frames per second to a locked 60 or not? i just can't play football at 30fps (like madden 360 was).

DMczaf

shpankey said:
haven't had a chance to read it yet, but did they mention if they got the frames per second to a locked 60 or not? i just can't play football at 30fps (like madden 360 was).

Thats what I was looking for, but they never say. :\

Top Bottom