• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

jakncoke said:
Your a Pitt fan?
I don't really have a team in college basketball. I grew up in Atlanta, so I've sort of been an ACC fan (dad went to GTech).

Regardless, I've always liked Pitt ever since Jamie got there, climaxing with that 08-09 team. That said, I'm tired of getting my heart (and bracket) broken by Pitt come tournament time.

jakncoke

Banned
I see, too bad we couldn't get some better recruits to go along with the diamonds in the roughs that we seem to find.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
bucsfan0210 said:
Free Enes!

:lol NEVAR!

Sucks for Hummel. He'll be able to medical redshirt of course but its unlikely that a pro team will ever take him. He's a great player and leader too. I guess they won't be my other pick to win it all.

GodfatherX said:
won't lie...it's going to be a long season in Louisville, but its better knowing whats coming in 2011 :)
You still think the 2011 class is going to turn things around? Has Rick gotten the guy who broke his baby mama's spine to transfer in yet?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
PotatoeMasher said:
You still think the 2011 class is going to turn things around? Has Rick gotten the guy who broke his baby mama's spine to transfer in yet?

I assume he's holding out hope for a Quincy Miller -Deuce Bello tandem rather than Tony Woods transferring. Word on the street is Miller is a done deal to Baylor...depending on the NCAA investigation I suppose.

GreekWolf said:
After our Calipari-less sabbatical, it's sweet to finally be back in the action. I have no idea what Memphis will do this season, but it ought to be fun.

Hey, we'll be better than Loserville, and that's good enough for me! You hear that Silva? :D

Have you heard Barton already saying they're going to win it all?

Surprised Miller didn't end up at Kentucky. Totally seems the 'tucky type.

In light of the Hummel news, Katz has already dropped Purdue from #2 to #23 in his preseason poll.

PotatoeMasher said:
minus bello/miller/woods we have a top 5 recruiting class lined up for 2011 without "recruiting" pro euro players, paying 250k, or miraculously making kids who flunk algebra 1 get an A in algebra 3 before taking algebra 2 and lets not forget 2 vacated final fours but I wont go on any more about that

we wanted miller, bello not so much, they appear to be a package deal, but with impending sanctions at baylor who knows where they end up

regarding woods, what little research I've done shows that he had his infant son in his arms while his "baby mama" was punching him in the face and he pushed her away to get to his apartment. never a fan of taking "shady" recruits, and don't really have an opinion on this situation yet.

Glad we're unranked to begin the season. After what happened at the end of last season, Rick Barnes doesn't deserve to be ranked no matter how good he recruited
and he only recruited a couple of players, both Canadian
Hook em!

iamblades

GodfatherX said:
minus bello/miller/woods we have a top 5 recruiting class lined up for 2011 without "recruiting" pro euro players, paying 250k, or miraculously making kids who flunk algebra 1 get an A in algebra 3 before taking algebra 2 and lets not forget 2 vacated final fours but I wont go on any more about that
Forgetting Dieng, Sallie, and Coleman's ineligibility already?

Kanter has been over here attending a US high school since he was 16, he is not some pro ringer UK dragged off the boat from Europe just the other day, and Bledsoe went from homeless to being in a stable household and a new school and still ended up with less GPA improvement than Michael Oher, but somehow Oher gets celebrated in a hit movie while Bledsoe gets crucified in the media because of the school he chose.

If you believed the reports about Anthony Davis for even a second then you are not even worth arguing with, No school would ever risk directly paying a recruit these days, and certainly not in those dollar amounts, and even more with the kind of scrutiny UK is under.

we wanted miller, bello not so much, they appear to be a package deal, but with impending sanctions at baylor who knows where they end up

regarding woods, what little research I've done shows that he had his infant son in his arms while his "baby mama" was punching him in the face and he pushed her away to get to his apartment. never a fan of taking "shady" recruits, and don't really have an opinion on this situation yet.

You guys might get lucky and nab Miller because of the investigation at Baylor, but one class doesn't make a program, especially after the giant swing and a miss this year.

With the recent records of UL players, I would be more careful about the shady recruits, at least UK kicked Dodson off the team months before he even got in trouble with the law, while Jennings and Smith played the first game like a month after their taser incident. UK is the dirty program of course though.
:lol

Proelite

USA today/Coach's poll:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/usatpoll.htm

1. Duke 35-5 772 1
2. Michigan State 28-9 737 4
3. Kansas State 29-8 656 7
4. Pittsburgh 25-9 621 20
5. Ohio State 29-8 615 11
6. Villanova 25-8 552 15
7. Kansas 33-3 538 6
8. Purdue 29-6 521 12
9. North Carolina 20-17 467 NR
10. Kentucky 35-3 449 5
11. Florida 21-13 424 NR
12. Gonzaga 27-7 423 23
13. Syracuse 30-5 422 8
14. Baylor 28-8 362 10
15. Missouri 23-11 354 NR
16t. Illinois 21-15 329 NR
16t. Washington 26-10 307 21
18. Butler 33-5 245 2
19. Memphis 24-10 212 NR
20. Tennessee 28-9 158 9
21. Georgetown 23-11 129 NR
22. Temple 29-6 120 NR
23. Virginia Tech 25-9 97 NR
24. Wisconsin 24-9 91 24
25. Texas 24-10 89 NR

Dropped out: No. 3 West Virginia (31-7); No. 13 Northern Iowa (30-5); No. 14 Xavier (26-9); No. 16 New Mexico (30-5); No. 17 Cornell (29-5); No. 18 Maryland (24-9); No. 19 Saint Mary's (28-6); No. 22 Brigham Young (30-6); No. 25 Texas A&M (24-10).

Others receiving votes: San Diego State 73; Brigham Young 55; West Virginia 49; Minnesota 41; Florida State 31; UNLV 19; Wichita State 13; UCLA 12; Vanderbilt 11; North Carolina State 10; Georgia 9; Richmond 9; Xavier 8; Mississippi State 7; Utah State 6; California 5; Texas A&M 5; Murray State 4; New Mexico 4; Louisville 3; Arizona 2; Dayton 2; Marquette 2; Maryland 2; Saint Mary's 2; Northwestern 1.

Seth C

I'm confused. Why isn't Louisville on the list? I hear they have a great class (maybe) coming in for 2011. Don't they deserve some credit for that?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Apparently Tennessee broke Pearl's contract, and he's currently coaching without one. Which means he can be fired or quit, with no penalty on the guilty party. Interesting.

mre said:
Apparently Tennessee broke Pearl's contract, and he's currently coaching without one. Which means he can be fired or quit, with no penalty on the guilty party. Interesting.
New ESPN article reveals he knew about the violations as they were taking place and asked the recruits an their parents to stay quiet about it. I wonder what it will take for Tenn to let him go. I realize their standards are extremely low but at some point they will have to do something or get nuked by the NCAA.

Proelite said:
USA today/Coach's poll:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/usatpoll.htm

1. Duke 35-5 772 1
2. Michigan State 28-9 737 4
4. Pittsburgh 25-9 621 20
5. Ohio State 29-8 615 11
6. Villanova 25-8 552 15
7. Kansas 33-3 538 6
8. Purdue 29-6 521 12
9. North Carolina 20-17 467 NR
10. Kentucky 35-3 449 5
11. Florida 21-13 424 NR
12. Gonzaga 27-7 423 23
13. Syracuse 30-5 422 8
14. Baylor 28-8 362 10
15. Missouri 23-11 354 NR
16t. Illinois 21-15 329 NR
16t. Washington 26-10 307 21
18. Butler 33-5 245 2
19. Memphis 24-10 212 NR
20. Tennessee 28-9 158 9
21. Georgetown 23-11 129 NR
22. Temple 29-6 120 NR
23. Virginia Tech 25-9 97 NR
24. Wisconsin 24-9 91 24
25. Texas 24-10 89 NR

Dropped out: No. 3 West Virginia (31-7); No. 13 Northern Iowa (30-5); No. 14 Xavier (26-9); No. 16 New Mexico (30-5); No. 17 Cornell (29-5); No. 18 Maryland (24-9); No. 19 Saint Mary's (28-6); No. 22 Brigham Young (30-6); No. 25 Texas A&M (24-10).

Others receiving votes: San Diego State 73; Brigham Young 55; West Virginia 49; Minnesota 41; Florida State 31; UNLV 19; Wichita State 13; UCLA 12; Vanderbilt 11; North Carolina State 10; Georgia 9; Richmond 9; Xavier 8; Mississippi State 7; Utah State 6; California 5; Texas A&M 5; Murray State 4; New Mexico 4; Louisville 3; Arizona 2; Dayton 2; Marquette 2; Maryland 2; Saint Mary's 2; Northwestern 1.

YEAH BABY!

krzy123

Go VT, got a improved schedule this time around, but we lost our best man defender/hustle guy JT Thompson for the season :(

I think our team is slightly overrated, I think we finish 4th in the ACC.

jjasper

Outdoor Miner said:
New ESPN article reveals he knew about the violations as they were taking place and asked the recruits an their parents to stay quiet about it. I wonder what it will take for Tenn to let him go. I realize their standards are extremely low but at some point they will have to do something or get nuked by the NCAA.

They are waiting to see what the NCAA finds. The termination was done so they could rework his contract to pay him less. It was clearly going to happen as soon as the pay deduction was announced. I doubt he gets canned but if something comes out that is worse it wouldn't surprise me if he was. Hell the school just got a new president today who might fire him so who knows.

Pitt is ranked a little too high imho. I see them as a pre-season top 15 definitely. Going to the Blue-Gold game tonight and if Taylor has grown up a lot in the offseason then I think they are going to be a decent squad. In two years time we should be much better though (personnell wise).

Proelite said:
USA today/Coach's poll:

2uh0nxx.gif

jakncoke

Banned
TheOrangeKid007 said:
Pitt is ranked a little too high imho. I see them as a pre-season top 15 definitely. Going to the Blue-Gold game tonight and if Taylor has grown up a lot in the offseason then I think they are going to be a decent squad. In two years time we should be much better though (personnell wise).

Prolly, but this gives us a good chance at getting 2nd ever #1 ranking XD

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DJ_Tet said:
What did Larry Drew do other than suck ass? Anything?

Quit talking shit about Turnover Jesus. He's the best thing to happen to UNC since Lawson's graduation....for me.

DJ_Tet

Banned
truly101 said:
Quict talking shit about Turnover Jesus. He's the best thing to happen to UNC since Lawson's graduation....for me.

I'm just checking to make sure he didn't quit the team or anything :lol

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DJ_Tet said:
I'm just checking to make sure he didn't quit the team or anything :lol
Good thing that rumorabout him transferring to Pacific U or wherever wasn't true. He's going to need to tape up those ankles nice and good when they come to CIS in February.

Despite him, if the sheep can get consistent production from their young guys, they can be a top 15 team.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
dabig2 said:
Do or die year for Bruce Weber. But yeah, excited for the season to begin.
Yeah, no.

Hype in Champaign is pretty much at an all-time high. Illinois has a chance to be very good.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
truly101 said:
Quit talking shit about Turnover Jesus. He's the best thing to happen to UNC since Lawson's graduation....for me.
:lol

But seriously, he had to be the worst starting PG in the country. Mr. "full court press? my only weakness!!1"

jjasper said:
They are waiting to see what the NCAA finds. The termination was done so they could rework his contract to pay him less. It was clearly going to happen as soon as the pay deduction was announced. I doubt he gets canned but if something comes out that is worse it wouldn't surprise me if he was. Hell the school just got a new president today who might fire him so who knows.

I figured he'd weather this out until I saw Pat Summit's quote from the other day. She didn't mince words.

I think with that letter becoming public it's over. The purposeful deceit and attempted coverup is really ugly. Hell, just admit the violations and the worst you're likely going to get is a slap on the wrist. I don't think it gets any better for Pearl from here on out.

With all of that said, I hope he stays. He's been great for UT, fun to root against and now he has actual dirt on his hands, whereas Cal is still squeaky clean. :lol

jakncoke

Banned
PITTSBURGH (AP)—A University of Pittsburgh spokesman says men’s basketball coach Jamie Dixon helped rescue two men from a car accident near the city.

Athletics spokesman Greg Hotchkiss says Dixon was heading north on Interstate 279 before 10 p.m. Saturday when a car swerved, hit a guardrail and flipped over.

He says Dixon pulled over, ran to the vehicle and cut his hands helping someone get out. WPXI broadcast raw video of Dixon being treated in an ambulance.

State police trooper Erik Fisher told ESPN.com that Dixon helped remove at least one of the victims, a woman who had a broken ankle.

Fisher calls Dixon “a Good Samaritan” who did “exactly what a decent person should do.” He says he “was one of the very few who pulled over.”

A lil old but im posting anyways :D

NewLib

Banned
First Exhibition game is tomorrow. Thank God for College Basketball season, Kentucky's football team has almost lead me to death by alcohol poisoning.

Ripclawe

Banned
max_cool said:
Oregon has some explaining to do:

11-05-bb-court-px.preview.jpg

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...eatures-a-memorable-basketba?urn=ncaab-283060

Oregon officials unveiled the floor of newly built Matthew Knight Arena on Friday, and to say the least the design lives up to the school's reputation for cutting-edge panache and flair. The court is framed on all sides by a forest of fir trees, an homage to the school's picturesque Pacific Northwest setting and to Oregon's 1939 national title team nicknamed "The Tall Firs."

Kilkenny Floor is named after Pat Kilkenny, a long-time supporter of Oregon athletics who served as the school's athletic director from 2007 to 2009 and ran the recent coaching search to replace Ernie Kent. In the center of the floor is the slogan "Deep in the Woods," which is meant to intimidate opposing teams. (Yes, seriously)

Considering Oregon's deep-rooted ties to Nike, it shouldn't surprise anyone that Tinker Hatfield is the designer of the floor. Hatfield, a former Oregon track and field star and vice president of design and special projects for Nike, designed many of the shoes from the famed Air Jordan line.

"When I was asked to work on the new floor for Matthew Knight Arena, I really boiled it down to three things," Hatfield said. "I really wanted to pay tribute to Matthew Knight himself, to the Kilkenny family and lastly but maybe not least, I wanted to pay tribute to the Pacific Northwest and the Tall Firs, the original basketball team that won a national championship for the University of Oregon in 1939."

Like the famed blue "Smurf Turf" at Boise State's football stadium, Oregon's forest floor is meant to be an iconic design that will immediately be recognizable to TV viewers nationwide. The design has already created a buzz, generating stories in local and regional papers and coverage from a variety of blogs.

What has been the reaction from Oregon fans? Based on the comments section from a story on this Ducks-themed site, mostly positive thus far.

Wrote one Oregon fan, "In a word, awesome."

iamblades

max_cool said:
Oregon has some explaining to do:

11-05-bb-court-px.preview.jpg

It kinda looks like they use the court for volleyball as well and it just got kinda worn out in the middle. That or someone vandalized it with a belt sander. :lol :lol

The halfcourt line and the maybe the 3 point line in the middle of the court might have some visibility issues I think. Could've been worse overall though, judging by their uniforms..

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
We only beat Saginaw Valley St by 9. :lol

We aren't gonna be very good but I'm still really excited about the season.

We don't rebuild.

We reload.

Knight, jones, Poole, Vargas, lamb, kanter.

When Kanter suits up, we're top5. I've been to both exhibition games, and have my season tickets for the rest of the home games at Rupp, and some nice seats for the Louisville game at the Ville, too.

I love college basketball!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom