• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA to move 7 championships from North Carolina due to HB2 bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boke1879

Amazing how the NC GOP continue to double down on this. Not only is the bill absurd in how it pertains to people, but you'd also think with the amount of jobs and revenue lost would be a wake up call.

The way they treat student athletes, the fact they are a multi billion dollar industry really off of two sports but treat those players like shit, the fact Penn State is still allowed to field a football team, their reluctance to go after colleges that have a history of putting their athletes in fake classes just so their GPA is high enough for them to play, their treatment of certain schools over another

Just a few reasons

All of those are the NCAA's fault except Penn State. The NCAA, believe it or not, had no authority to do what they did to Penn State, which is why nearly every punishment they got either got shortened or overturned. And why they haven't dropped a hammer on Baylor, for that matter.

giga

NC GOP responds. https://twitter.com/_andrewcarter/status/775505479862743040

CsMmGsXXgAAf1_n.jpg:large

Y'all...

I will happily dance on its grave when this party dies.

Amazing how the NC GOP continue to double down on this. Not only is the bill absurd in how it pertains to people, but you'd also think with the amount of jobs and revenue lost would be a wake up call.

Don't worry, they'll just try to blame the democrats and Obama. They are spineless pieces of shit who have nothing but hatred to spew for human beings. They don't give a shit about anything but lining their pockets and making the people who pay them happy. It goes to show that even when everyone is clearly against what they did, and it shows in many different ways, they still stoop to pointless hatred and vile fearmogering.

Talamius

Looking beyond McCrory, it will be interesting to see if it can do any damage to the hopelessly gerrymandered legislature. There are two sacred cows in this state: College Basketball and the Panthers. The NCGOP has just directly fucked with one of them. Duke and UNC usually end up very highly seeded, and playing in state in the tourney was a huge advantage.

LionPride

Banned
All of those are the NCAA's fault except Penn State. The NCAA, believe it or not, had no authority to do what they did to Penn State, which is why nearly every punishment they got either got shortened or overturned. And why they haven't dropped a hammer on Baylor, for that matter.

Jesus Christ

That cult ass campus doesn't deserve anything it has

Baylor keeps sending me things for college and the only thing I can think of is that they tried really hard to hide that shit. Fuck em all

Looking beyond McCrory, it will be interesting to see if it can do any damage to the hopelessly gerrymandered legislature. There are two sacred cows in this state: College Basketball and the Panthers. The NCGOP has just directly fucked with one of them. Duke and UNC usually end up very highly seeded, and playing in state in the tourney was a huge advantage.

For UNC, yes

For Duke, ehhh. That probably doesn't hurt their feelings to not play in Greensboro

Jesus Christ

That cult ass campus doesn't deserve anything it has

Baylor keeps sending me things for college and the only thing I can think of is that they tried really hard to hide that shit. Fuck em all

Yeah, they mostly punish schools for imaginary infractions and giving poor kids food and shelter.

You have to commit NCAA violations for the NCAA to be able to punish you. And believe it or not, covering up crimes, no matter how heinous they may be, is usually not an NCAA violation.

To use an example I've used in the original Baylor thread, when a Baylor basketball player killed another Baylor basketball player and the coach tried to cover up some of the reasoning behind it (because he was paying players), what the school and the coach were actually punished for was lying to NCAA investigators and paying players (and some illegal recruiting practices).

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
For UNC, yes

For Duke, ehhh. That probably doesn't hurt their feelings to not play in Greensboro

Duke has a large fan following in the triad, its not Charlotte. Besides, where are they going to play where they aren't the most hated team in the bldg?

The ACC is headquartered in Greensboro, so I suppose its a bit more difficult to take a firmer stand.

I don't see how McCrory wins re-election, but then again most people think HB2 begins and ends with the bathroom bill. Thats the least of that bill's problems and of course thats all the GOP talks about.

So I just read the line mentioned about Baylor. Way to deflect. That line had nothing to do with your shitty laws. Its like talking to them about this one incident of police brutality and they respond by saying how come you didn't care about the black on black crime in Chicago.

You think its an original argument but its not

You have to commit NCAA violations for the NCAA to be able to punish you. And believe it or not, covering up crimes, no matter how heinous they may be, is usually not an NCAA violation.

Nah, they just have to think you did, or have a vendetta against you. Which is why they're still fighting Todd McNair in court over a decade later.

I'm aware of what the NCAA "can and can't" punish schools for, I was just saying that Baylor is awful.

good shit. and lol @ the NCGOP.

this is why you vote, people. these assclowns are costing your state real money. don't think it can't happen in your state? don't go vote and see what the fuck happens.

Exactly how much fucking money has been lost by the state because of this goddamn bill

Apparently still not enough. It would be hilarious that the state government is seemingly willing to completely and totally dismantle the entire local economy over this if the consequences weren't decidedly not funny.

That GOP statement is something else. Wow.

HB2 was always a discriminatory bill dressed up to be about “common sense” protection of women and children. But the more its supporters have been forced to defend it, the more reductive their argument has become.

That statement lacked a shred of compassion for the LGBT community. It didn't even acknowledge it, even. And McCrory's says in an ad that people want to allow “boys to use girls bathrooms. Are we really talking about this?”

HB2 was always about discrimination. And while they don't realize it, its supporters are finally admitting it.

As an NC native and Duke grad living out of state now, it makes me happy to see how strong of a position Duke is taking. Please, people who still live in NC, vote those crazies out of office.

Wilsongt

Excellent. Let people kick and scream that this is hurting NC's economy. That's the point. Will be glad when McCrory is gone.

The governor put together some word vomit:

Governor Pat McCrory released the following statement regarding the NCAA's recent decision on 2016-2017 championship events:

"The issue of redefining gender and basic norms of privacy will be resolved in the near future in the United States court system for not only North Carolina, but the entire nation. I strongly encourage all public and private institutions to both respect and allow our nation’s judicial system to proceed without economic threats or political retaliation toward the 22 states that are currently challenging government overreach. Sadly, the NCAA, a multi-billion dollar, tax-exempt monopoly, failed to show this respect at the expense of our student athletes and hard-working men and women."

http://governor.nc.gov/press-release/governor-mccrory-releases-statement-ncaa-decision

Reminder: HB2 contained much more than a bathroom provision. It excluded LGBT people from anti-discrimination protection, invalidated local ordinances that provided stronger protections, and limited the ability to sue in state court for all people facing discrimination.

Wilsongt

EYEL1NER

It's only a drop in the bucket compared to the NCAA moving tourneys out but the Maroon 5 concert that got cancelled in the state was supposed to happen this past weekend. I went on Saturday night to Columbia for the date that got scheduled after the cancellation in NC and was thinking about the bill at the arena, and wondering how it is hurting the state. Good to see that there is a bigger impact. It's not like SC is better than NC but people are more than welcome to come on down to Columbia to hold major events. I had to drive up to Wilmington two nights ago to see Blind Guardian and would much rather they had played a gig closer in SC (of course not only because of convenience to me, but also because fuck the HB2 bill and fuck the leaders of NC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom