• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NC could lose 6 years of NCAA games and 250 mil in tourism over HB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article130994139.html

HB2 could soon cost NC six years of NCAA championship events, sports group says
February 6, 2017 11:42 AM
By Colin Campbell

The NCAA could soon pull championship events from North Carolina through 2022 if House Bill 2 is not repealed, according to a letter sent to state legislators Monday by the N.C. Sports Association.

“Our contacts at the NCAA tell us that, due to their stance on HB2, all North Carolina bids will be pulled from the review process and removed from consideration,” Scott Dupree of the N.C. Sports Association and Greater Raleigh Sports Alliance wrote. “That process will begin in the various sports committees starting in 7 to 10 days and continuing through February. At that point, we will be faced with a six-year drought of NCAA championships in North Carolina.”

The NCAA has already moved championship events for the current academic year to other states due to concerns that the law is discriminatory. HB2 struck down local nondiscrimination ordinances and requires transgender people to use the bathroom that corresponds to the gender on their birth certificate while visiting government facilities.

Dupree wrote that his “letter is not intended to be political in any way, but rather objective and fact-based, so that all interested parties will have a clear understanding of what’s at stake.”

“In a matter of days, our state’s sports tourism industry will suffer crushing, long-term losses and will essentially close its doors to NCAA business,” the letter continues. “Our window to act is closing rapidly.”

A spokeswoman for the NCAA did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the Sports Association letter.

Dupree says other sports leagues could join the NCAA in bypassing North Carolina.

“When the NCAA decides it will no longer conduct events in North Carolina, the Atlantic Coast Conference and many other sports organizations will surely follow,” he wrote. “When compounding the effect of losing these additional sporting events, including hundreds of youth and amateur events, plus the NBA All-Star Game, we believe North Carolina could lose upwards of a half-billion dollars in economic impact.”

The N.C. Sports Association includes groups across the state that recruit and promote major sporting events. The association’s members have been involved in some of the 133 NCAA championship bids submitted for events between 2018 and 2022. Dupree notes that those events have a potential economic impact of at least $250 million.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Good news, but it's not going to matter when Trump puts this into effect on the federal level.

SerTapTap

Thought this was dead, but good for the NCAA. Discrimination and bigotry have no place in sports and sports organizations are right to do what they can to oppose them.

Josh5890

What about garbage like Baylor, Penn St. Etc.

Still good news, but not enough.

Penn State is over and done with. Hopefully Briles and Baylor get the death penalty (not literally of course. For non football fans see SMU football death penalty)

LionPride

Banned
Penn State is over and done with. Hopefully Briles and Baylor get the death penalty (not literally of course. For non football fans see SMU football death penalty)

Seeing as a lot of it wasn't directly football related that's unlikely, the NCAA can only do things that are in their jurisdiction. I don't know if withholding info about rapes is actually in their jurisdiction.Title IX regulations tho...

The hangup as far as I know is that Cooper and the Democrats want the entire bill repealed. While the GOP just wants the bathroom section of the bill to be repealed. Basically, the GOP isn't willing to give up control over the cities. They don't want them to be able to pass their own anti-discrimination or minimum wage bills.

Holy fuck that bill is still in affect

Yep, and the NC GOP won't let go. The Governor based his whole re-election platform on the bill, lost, and then the GOP lead Senate stripped the incoming Governor of most legislative power with the main reason being to keep this bill.

Slayven

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article131317804.html

“If there was ever a time for bipartisanship it was now, a chance to get this stain off our state, a chance to end discrimination and a chance to bring these hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands of jobs back to our state,” Cooper told a news conference.

The law known as HB2 rolled back a Charlotte ordinance that expanded anti-discrimination protections to the LGBT community. It also required transgender people to use the bathroom or locker room of the gender on their birth certificate when they’re in government-owned buildings.

Supporters say the law is necessary to keep sexual predators out of public restrooms.

He said N.C. cities and schools have submitted 133 bids for NCAA events with a potential economic impact of $250 million. “In a matter of days, our state’s sports tourism industry will suffer crushing, long-term losses,” he wrote.

But Moore and other Republicans said a simple repeal won’t pass the GOP-controlled legislature.

“The thing we’ve made clear is we’re not going to do anything that risks the safety of individuals in bathrooms or locker rooms,” he told the Observer. “I don’t see support for a straight repeal.”

Earlier, state GOP Chairman Robin Hayes of Concord told reporters that Cooper “owns this issue.”

“Gov. Cooper, you are our leader, bring forth a compromise to solve this problem,” he said. “A simple repeal is not going to pass.”

They trying to pass it off on Cooper. Instead of their desire to be bigots. I hope Cooper hangs it back on them. There should be no compromise. Take them to court

And again, it is worth reiterating, these bathrooms laws make it EASIER for sexual predators to assault children. This law makes children, and bathrooms, less safe.

"It's up to the Governor to operate on the terms we've set forth and it'll be his fault if he can't fix the problem that we're busting our ass to keep in place."

-NC GOP

Dineren

Banned
Big fucking surprise that an issue 100% created by the state GOP legislature is being blamed on the newly elected Democratic governor.

Wilsongt

This is all of the Republicans fault, yet they will keep pointing the finger at Charlotte for being progressive and inclusive, and Cooper becauase he has a D next to his name.

Slayven

This is all of the Republicans fault, yet they will keep pointing the finger at Charlotte for being progressive and inclusive, and Cooper becauase he has a D next to his name.

Clearly the people don't want it because they got Mccory up out there when Trump won the state

Glix

"It's up to the Governor to operate on the terms we've set forth and it'll be his fault if he can't fix the problem that we're busting our ass to keep in place."

-NC GOP

Yo. Fuck these fucking awful people.

They took his power away. Took away a shit ton of appointees.

And now HE needs to fix it???

FUCK YOU.

SerTapTap

I can't believe it's not a bigger story how manufactured this whole thing is. For decades of a far less progressive US this was never a problem. In history this was never a problem, regardless of how bigoted people were. They totally made this up. Fucking NO ONE was any more scared of a trans person taking a pee than they were scared of trans people in general. They just completely made up an issue out of absolutely nothing.

It would be amazing if they took a $250m L for this though. I'm totally okay with capitalism punishing bigots. Should happen more often.

Ithil

"We just took a big shit on your floor, it's your fault because you have to clean it up, also we threw your fine china in the trashcan, that's also your fault and you should buy more or else we'll sue you for not having fine china"

Slayven

Small government people.

NC was a state everyone bragged was up and coming. But no the GOP wants to hate more then they want to succeed

So the main argument the GOP throw around is that men will enter the woman's washroom to sexually assault children. So we take this situation and examine it in both the world's with and without a birthgender washroom rule.

In a world where gender identity lets you choose the washroom of your choice, (status quo in places that don't have bathroom laws) you generally have to look and present as female to enter the washroom. In a world where your birthgender determine your washroom of choice, female to male trans individuals must use the woman's washroom. These are people that look exactly like men. This normalizes people who look exactly like men entering the woman's washroom, which in turn, will make it incredibly easy for any man to enter the washroom, just like and female-to-male transfendered individual would. Basically, when you force people presenting as the other gender to use the gender opposite, you are allowing people who look like either gender, to use either washroom. Relative to the status quo, this clearly makes it easier for men to enter the woman's washroom.

slit

This is why those who voted for Cooper but then went Republican the rest of the way down the ballot are complete morons.

This is.... stretchier than pizza dough.

No it isn't. It's basic reasoning skills. Just because it so completely demonstrates the idiocy of the GOP argument doesn't mean it's wrong.

Look. either people who look like men are allowed into the women's washroom, or they aren't. The bathroom law makes it the case, that some people who look like men, must use the women's washroom. This was not the case before.

If you disagree, how about you present an argument that this law makes it harder? Just remember, any assumptions you make (men can just lie) will be true in both worlds. This is an argument about the relative probability of something occurring.

So the main argument the GOP throw around is that men will enter the woman's washroom to sexually assault children. So we take this situation and examine it in both the world's with and without a birthgender washroom rule.

In a world where gender identity lets you choose the washroom of your choice, (status quo in places that don't have bathroom laws) you generally have to look and present as female to enter the washroom. In a world where your birthgender determine your washroom of choice, female to male trans individuals must use the woman's washroom. These are people that look exactly like men. This normalizes people who look exactly like men entering the woman's washroom, which in turn, will make it incredibly easy for any man to enter the washroom, just like and female-to-male transfendered individual would. Basically, when you force people presenting as the other gender to use the gender opposite, you are allowing people who look like either gender, to use either washroom. Relative to the status quo, this clearly makes it easier for men to enter the woman's washroom.
To compound the stupid, I've heard conservatives who have been presented with the "trans men will have to use the women's room" fact and they actually responded by saying the trans man should just keep using the men's room because no one will notice.

WHY MAKE A FUCKING LAW YOU EXPECT AND CONDONE PEOPLE TO BREAK!?

All this bullshit just goes to show that the GOP's knowledge of trans people is "they are men who thing they are women and have dicks and will rape anything". I bet the concept of trans men never crossed their shitty minds.

Goliath

Very interesting point. My only problem with it is that it assumes that transgendered female to male all look "exactly" like men which they don't. There will be variations. It also ignores that your defense makes it seem that if men can get access to the female bathroom sexual assault will be more prevalent which is a similar argument that people for the HB2 law are making. That a pervert in a dress, a wig or just claim they identify as a woman when they look like a man will use that to access the bathroom and commit sexual assault.

In the end I don't believe that a man's presence in a woman's bathroom will be the norm nor do I think predators want to stick out and draw attention to themselves by publicly strolling into the ladies bathroom. I feel like these criminals want to avoid attention.

Very interesting point. My only problem with it is that it assumes that transgendered female to male all look "exactly" like men which they don't. There will be variations. It also ignores that your defense makes it seem that if men can get access to the female bathroom sexual assault will be more prevalent which is a similar argument that people for the HB2 law are making. That a pervert in a dress, a wig or just claim they identify as a woman when they look like a man will use that to access the bathroom and commit sexual assault.

In the end I don't believe that a man's presence in a woman's bathroom will be the norm nor do I think predators want to stick out and draw attention to themselves by publicly strolling into the ladies bathroom. I feel like these criminals want to avoid attention.

My point doesn't actually require that Female-to-male trans individuals look exactly like men. It requires that this is only the case for some of them.

As for the pervert in a dress argument, this is where I have to make a point concerning the psychology of sexual assault. So we have lying men who want to enter the women's bathroom in both scenarios. It's not like they will lie in one world, and tell the truth in the other. In bathroom law world, they can claim to be trans-men. In non-bathroom law world they can claim to be woman. The psychological difference here rests in the fact that these kinds of sexual assaults often have a power motive. It is my understanding that part of the sexual enjoyment of sexual assault and rape, is the power the male has over the female. Since crossdressing is extremely emasculating, this would greatly diminish this particular aspect of the assault. So even still, this bathroom law endangers children moreso relative to the status quo.

Goliath

My point doesn't actually require that Female-to-male trans individuals look exactly like men. It requires that this is only the case for some of them.

As for the pervert in a dress argument, this is where I have to make a point concerning the psychology of sexual assault. So we have lying men who want to enter the women's bathroom in both scenarios. It's not like they will lie in one world, and tell the truth in the other. In bathroom law world, they can claim to be trans-men. In non-bathroom law world they can claim to be woman. The psychological difference here rests in the fact that these kinds of sexual assaults often have a power motive. It is my understanding that part of the sexual enjoyment of sexual assault and rape, is the power the male has over the female. Since crossdressing is extremely emasculating, this would greatly diminish this particular aspect of the assault. So even still, this bathroom law endangers children moreso relative to the status quo.

They wouldn't need to cross dress. In your non-bathroom law world a guy going into a woman's bathroom wouldn't have to cross dress. They could just say they identify as a woman if asked and it would be up to the institution to decide if they want to risk a lawsuit by kicking them out. It could also create a norm where men and women use whatever bathroom.

But let's be honest, the "non-bathroom law" world already exists. It is the way things are now and there aren't any increases in sexual assault because we know statistically trust is the way they get to their victims, not access to their bathroom. It's usually someone you know. I understand your point but not sure it makes sense.

But let's be honest, the "non-bathroom law" world already exists. It is the way things are now and there aren't any increases in sexual assault because we know statistically trust is the way they get to their victims, not access to their bathroom. It's usually someone you know. I understand your point but not sure it makes sense.
That's because it doesn't make sense, and moreover makes the kinda bigoted assumption that all people dress to their gender identity

Good. Fuck that state. Have zero desire to spend a dime of my money there anytime soon. And it's a shame, because there are some really beautiful places I would love to visit, but not with all the nonsense that has been going on

K.Sabot

i'd like HB2 gone, but i also want that state to tank for implementing HB2.

can't exactly call it a happy medium, but here i am.

Glix

Not only that, I have heard them use the argument that having a trans in the bathroom would scar the children. Forgetting that on the face of it, I think having a trans that identifies as male in a mens bathroom is about 10000 times less of a problem then a trans that identifies as a man in the womens bathroom, which could legit freak out a child.

Lastly, they will molest our children/women is always the argument that is used when logic runs out. Its straight up banking on xenophobia.

Sorry, but this is all nonsense.

1. Last time I checked no one ever closely examined people in the bathroom. They look "exactly" enough like the gender they identify as, from the brief look you would get of them as they use the sink or whatever. But remind me... never ever to go into a public bathroom with you.

2. There is no such thing as a "bathroom guard" If someone really wants to get in there to molest someone, they will do it, wig or not. In fact, this ENTIRE thing is fucking nonsense, I mean what are the numbers on cases of bathroom sexual assault to begin with?

Awesome. Fuck transphobic pieces of shit. Hit them where these fuckers feel it. Hopefully this thread gains some traction, but I doubt it considering even Gaf is iffy on trans rights issues at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom